Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
dakota
sage

Reged: 12/11/11

Loc: SD (God's Country)
Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #5495110 - 10/29/12 06:23 PM

Quote:

I still maintain that this is a fantastic telescope for the money.

Enjoy Hans!

I'm just going to stay out of the bickering and negativity surrounding this scope. I love mine and couldn't be happier. While everyone is debating this and that I'm busy enjoying mine.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: dakota]
      #5495238 - 10/29/12 08:04 PM

It's nice to know these are very well made and have a nice figure and coatings on the optics, I think that's what is most important. The important thing should be how the Double Cluster looks, or M45 or M42, or globs like M13. In that regard it seems this scope is a winner!

doctordub
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/11/06

Loc: New Rochelle, New York
Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: Jan Owen]
      #5496225 - 10/30/12 01:50 PM

Thanks Jan,
I just got my Internet back but I never lost power. I had a large branch break in my front yard, but there was almost no damage. I live on high ground, if my house floods its time to build an Ark!
CS
Jonathan

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
      #5496390 - 10/30/12 03:36 PM

Quote:

I don't recall accusing you of saying the dew shield was plastic. I don't recall the other reviewers saying the was no CA. Seems like you are the one twisting the facts mister.

Reread your initial review. Came out pretty strong with negatives. I didn't take anything personally. So no need to throw that barb into the discussion.

I have no problem with the balance. My lowly CG-5 handles this scope quite well. Just balance it properly and one is all set.

Again, this is your opinion which you are entitled to. So don't take it personally when someone doesn't agree with you.

Actually there have been many claims on cn that the CA was " minimal" or "better than expected". I am glad I didn't buy one myself but, I waited for Jim's review anyway. I had a 90mm f6.1 achro and the CA was horrible on bright objects and it just didn't make sense that a 6" f5.9 would be better, it should be worse. So I am glad I decided to wait. I really don't need another telescope anyway.

I took a break from CN so your review seemed very prompt to me Jim. Thanks for the honest kool aid free review.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5496444 - 10/30/12 04:18 PM

I forgot to add that you can keep your c6! I am a newt and refractor snob. I don't need perfect color correction but, purple Jupiter is no bueno.

I, if I decide to get a bigger refractor, am leaning more toward a vixen NA 140. I really need to try one first though. I am the guy who would have been upset when i bought the Astro telescope 6"f5.9 and saw the color i expected to be there because so many reviews minimized the CA reports. $1000 isn't the end of the world but, it is enough to make me unhappy with less than accurate reviews.

dakota
sage

Reged: 12/11/11

Loc: SD (God's Country)
      #5496911 - 10/30/12 09:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't recall accusing you of saying the dew shield was plastic. I don't recall the other reviewers saying the was no CA. Seems like you are the one twisting the facts mister.

Reread your initial review. Came out pretty strong with negatives. I didn't take anything personally. So no need to throw that barb into the discussion.

I have no problem with the balance. My lowly CG-5 handles this scope quite well. Just balance it properly and one is all set.

Again, this is your opinion which you are entitled to. So don't take it personally when someone doesn't agree with you.

Actually there have been many claims on cn that the CA was " minimal" or "better than expected". I am glad I didn't buy one myself but, I waited for Jim's review anyway. I had a 90mm f6.1 achro and the CA was horrible on bright objects and it just didn't make sense that a 6" f5.9 would be better, it should be worse. So I am glad I decided to wait. I really don't need another telescope anyway.

I took a break from CN so your review seemed very prompt to me Jim. Thanks for the honest kool aid free review.

So what point are you trying to make?

dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: Moncton NB Canada
      #5497048 - 10/30/12 10:57 PM

I just ordered the Canadian telescopes version of this scope, and was told they are going to be discontinued. I wonder if the same is true of the astrotelescope?

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: Jan Owen]
      #5497256 - 10/31/12 03:04 AM

Quote:

Hope you're riding out the storm (Sandy) safely... Take care!!!

Thank you Jan.

We were just hiding trains and buses. Now were just taking them out of their hiding spots.

doctordub
Pooh-Bah

#5497893 - 10/31/12 02:52 PM

Sean,
With CN and other AA websites I do not see where anyone would need to drink the “Kool Aid”, one can look at Nikos Star Test for SA and Polish, and my unprocessed single shot Lunar Image without Chromacor to see the Level of CA .
The only mention I have heard of no CA was for stars with Mag 3.5 or lower. When adjectives such as “better than expected” were mostly from individuals comparing Meade, Celestron and Synta 6” F8 Achros to one of the 152-F5.9 Kumming Scopes.
I agree with you on skipping the C6. If you want Planetary and Lunar performance in a smaller Cat get an Intes M703, or M715.
If I were you I would skip the Vixen 140 NA, it is more expensive than the AT 152 and not as sharp.
You could always wait for the Raycorr to be available and choise between Istar, D&G, and a Kumming Clone.
CS
Jonathan

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: doctordub]
      #5497953 - 10/31/12 03:24 PM

Or you could just pony up about 9 grand for a TEC 160, that will certainly eliminate the CA for you and it only cost 9 times as much as the AT152.

doctordub
Pooh-Bah

Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #5498111 - 10/31/12 05:09 PM

Chris,
Be careful, those are subway cars not submarines. It is starting to feel like 2012, wait a minute, it is!
It’s like Florida without the Alligators, wait a minute I take that back to. Just be careful Chris.
CS
Jonathan

Rich

Reged: 01/21/06

Loc: Seattle
Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: doctordub]
      #5498822 - 11/01/12 01:13 AM

Quote:

If I were you I would skip the Vixen 140 NA, it is more expensive than the AT 152 and not as sharp.

Have you compared these two? What did you find in terms of the NA 140 not being as sharp? I've used an NA 120 a lot and found the images to be excellent, but perhaps there is something about the 140 that you found different?

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: Rich]
      #5498975 - 11/01/12 07:27 AM

Well, I will wait for dark skies (when the moon gets out of the way) and try it out. I will come back with some honest feedback. Will spend some time on Jupiter, see how the Pleiades show up and then it's DSO for me. If you folks have a specific target you want me to report on, bring it on.

Location coordinates Latitude 34.815607, Longitude 33.321533 (give or take a few kilometers). Planning to be out hopefully 8th and 9th of November.

BUT...

Set up the scope a couple of times (practice for when I go to my preferred dark site) and took a peak at the moon (which was full).

Disgusting I tell you! Got blinded and the moon oh-so-big and purple-ish. So, I tossed in the minus fringe filter with my Ethos 13mm. very minor difference. Took the sucker out. Used a variable polarising filter. Major improvement. Double stacked polarising filter with minus violet filter. No improvement over just the polarising filter. Double stacked with a yellow filter and then a green filter. Mucho improvement in contrast (but only if you have a fetish for cheese / broccoli).

To cut a long story short. This scope ain't for planets, moon and bright targets. It is a short focal ratio wide field achro refractor. Get another scope if you want to optimize your viewing experience for such targets.

doctordub
Pooh-Bah

Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #5499015 - 11/01/12 08:36 AM

Nicos,
one word "Chromacor". If you can't get one wait for the Raycorr from Istar. The Chromacor at a non optimal setting shows about the same CA as your SV102ED.
CS
Jonathan

doctordub
Pooh-Bah

Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: Rich]
      #5499021 - 11/01/12 08:43 AM

Rich,
I was going to purchase a Vixen NA140 about two years ago when I compared one to my TV102. I was not pleased with Lunar or Planetary views and the images just were not as sharp as I expected. I had a chance to compare it to an ES152 and the ES152 was much sharper.
CS
Jonathan

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5499298 - 11/01/12 11:58 AM

Nicos:

I wouldn't rule out all minus violet filters on the basis of trying just one.

The MV-20 from Sirius (no longer made) aggressively suppressed much of the false color on double stars at high magnification. I didn't try it on Luna, though, but will.

I think you have to look at the bandpass data for the MV filter in question (they differ model to model) and then the color crossings of this scope, in order to predict what MV filter would be optimal for the optic.

But as you say, if you plan on using it for DSOs and wide fields, I suggest M42 at ~100x, and reporting back on whether you could easily pick up Trapezium E and F. Context and resolution all at once. Should be sweet on that target.

Regards,

Jim

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: Overdue First Light: Astrotelescopes 152 f/5.9 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5500344 - 11/02/12 02:08 AM

@ Jonathan: Impossible to find a Chromacor and on the list for Raycorr since like 3 months ago.

@ Jim: Like the Chromacor, the MV-20 is one of those really hard to find items. I used a Baader minus fringe filter to see how it does on the moon. Will get back to you on M42 when the Gods of weather cooperate and someone shoots the moon out of the sky.

Clear skies,

Nicos

RolandosCY

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus
      #5500545 - 11/02/12 08:40 AM

Quote:

Location coordinates Latitude 34.815607, Longitude 33.321533 (give or take a few kilometers). Planning to be out hopefully 8th and 9th of November.

You think I will be waiting THAT long for setting up the 152 in between the FS102 and the 18"??? You must be kidding... Monday moonrise 10pm, good conditions expected!

doctordub
Pooh-Bah

#5500652 - 11/02/12 10:14 AM

Nicos,
I understand your frustration. It took me 13 months to get a Chromacor. I am waiting like you to see what happens with the Raycorr.
CS
Jonathan

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5500730 - 11/02/12 11:15 AM

Nicos, I thought the sun always shined on Cyprus.

Just teasing you. I last visited in 1985 - in the summer - so my view is biased, I'm sure.

I worked for a year on a wheat farm outside of Thessaloniki, and took time off farming to travel Greece, Turkey, Crete, Cyprus, other minor islands, Lebanon and northern Egypt.

I'm sure Cyprus has changed a lot, but in 1985 it was pretty sleepy and very quaint. I think the holiday condo boom for Brits was a few years away at that time.

I have many happy memories from that part of the world.

Regards,

Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
46 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11589

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics