Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
nightfisher

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Huddersfield UK
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5487198 - 10/24/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

Jules, mine came with the GSO dual speed Crayford, which I eventually replaced with a GSO single speed Crayford, though I also have a Synta 2" R&P on hand that I may give a go on the scope. It looks like it will bolt straight on.

As for outfocus, yes the 1500mm f.l. units were deliberately built a bit short. Originally they shipped with a 2" long extension tube with a 2" compression fitting. You can see that here:

I typically use a 1.25" Vixen prism diagonal with mine, though I have also used 2" mirror diagonals with it. With the prism diagonal at least, the extension is a "must use" item.

Another little trick I recommend is using a high-bond epoxy or similar to permanently affix thin metal washers around each of the three holes where the rear assembly attaches to the main tube, to reinforce the rather thin walls at those stress points.

Regards,

Jim

Jim, many thanks for that post, as you can see mine is missing the extension, i think i have cured the problem, had a rare "eureka" moment and have just fitted a 2" diagonal with a 1.25 reducer, this will lengthen the light path, now all i need is some clear night skies (so rare in the UK)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Reged: 05/20/07

Loc: Lancashire England
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: nightfisher]
      #5487366 - 10/24/12 05:22 PM

Very nice,Jules.

Just be careful with it if you are under the flight path for Leeds/Bradford.

Just something about a long focus refractor. They do look majestic.

Clear Skies forecast as well this weekend

I'm not doing well because I've never looked through any of your present refractors. I don't name my scopes but somehow they do receive one sometimes while building.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5487402 - 10/24/12 05:50 PM

James, if I ever get bored of mine, I'll bequeath it to you.

- Jim

John Huntley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/16/06

Loc: South West England
      #5487500 - 10/24/12 07:13 PM

Great looking scope Jules

On the subject of refractors "looking right", last night I had the opportunity to do a little filming with a regional TV network who were putting together a montage of leisure activities in our region of the UK - astronomy being one of them.

I assembled along with half a dozen members of the local astro society, all of whom had bought their dobs and SCT's. For the sake of portability I had bought my refractor on a simple alt-az mount along and guess which scope the TV company wanted to feature most ? - my refractor of course !

I felt a little embarrassed for the good folks who had lugged their nice scopes to the filming spot - especially when one of the TV crew said that the SCT's looked too much like the filming lights and could confuse the viewers

My ED120 refractor (hope it's not one of the "badly designed ED's" that Glen refers to !) has only half the focal ratio that your Antares does though - I imagine the TV folks would have gone berserk if I'd shown up with something twice the length

Looking forward to first light reports on your lovely new instrument soon

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: GlenM]
      #5487890 - 10/24/12 11:58 PM

Quote:

Very nice,Jules.

Just be careful with it if you are under the flight path for Leeds/Bradford.

Just something about a long focus refractor. They do look majestic.

Clear Skies forecast as well this weekend

I'm not doing well because I've never looked through any of your present refractors. I don't name my scopes but somehow they do receive one sometimes while building.

will have to see what we can do to change this situatiion glen

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: John Huntley]
      #5488360 - 10/25/12 10:43 AM

Hi John,

I wondered who would be the first to pick up on my wording. Perhaps I should say badly designed optics. I know for sure that your ED120 is excellent. I had the Equinox version a couple of years ago and it was a excellent scope with the very underrated Skywatcher focuser.

What I was trying to say is that it's not really down to the ED part of the lens,but the mating glass some use. I did have the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to look through a fast triplet using Chinese FK-61 with has similar index to Ohara FPL-51. The mechanics of the scope were pretty good,the optics on the other hand were abysmal. Of course that is only my opinion based on that one scope,which I won't name of course. I have no doubt that a good high quality scope can be built using the cheaper ED glass but the mating elements must be chosen carefully.

Then again what do I know. I sell Orthoscopics eyepieces which I am told repeatedly are a old design that went out of favour years ago. It seems that some people actually prefer Plossls which have a shorter eye relief and have a very 'warm' tone,some would say colourful

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

#5488387 - 10/25/12 10:58 AM

Yes,a side by side with the 4" F/11 Kunming and the Tal 100 would be good. I have chatted to a few people who have actually done this.

I know which one had the edge from what other people said.

Forecast is looking good for the weekend.

nightfisher

#5488628 - 10/25/12 01:28 PM

Then again what do I know. I sell Orthoscopics eyepieces which I am told repeatedly are a old design that went out of favour years ago. It seems that some people actually prefer Plossls which have a shorter eye relief and have a very 'warm' tone,some would say colourful

Glen, the ortho`s you stock are some very fine eyepiece`s indeed, far better than a plossl, yes i would like to try the Tal head to head with the 4" f11 Lyra scope, but not this weekend, very little time

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5488707 - 10/25/12 02:09 PM

Quote:

- Jim

Hah! Awesome!

-James

ukcanuck
Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: London, UK
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5488775 - 10/25/12 02:47 PM

Ortho's are nice...

I do find myself rather hypnotized with the view through a nice long achromat and my 17mm Type 4 Nagler. The combination of nice wide field & long achro image makes my day...

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5489333 - 10/25/12 09:59 PM

Ditto to the Naglers, my 4.8 mm is used all the time with great results.
Bill

daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Bonco]
      #5489699 - 10/26/12 04:48 AM

Glen are u not allowed to say which had the edge 4" f11 or Tal from your conversation with others cos you're a vendor?

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: daniel_h]
      #5489739 - 10/26/12 06:05 AM

I think it might be pushing it a bit

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
      #5489828 - 10/26/12 08:23 AM Attachment (51 downloads)

Hope you don't mind me adding a picture of my 90mm f16.7 Antares. This has the same 1500mm focal length as the 105mm. I purchased the lens only a few years ago and built my own tube from 4mm plywood.

Andy

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: plyscope]
      #5489961 - 10/26/12 10:29 AM

Your work is always stunning,Andy.

What a beautiful scope.

nightfisher

#5490387 - 10/26/12 02:57 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

Andy, that 90mm antares is a work of art, how does it perform?

I have done some more work on the 105, flocked the inside of the dew shield, always worth doing but on this scope there was some movement on the shield, the flocking has taken care of this, and i have adapted my white light solar filter from my Tal100 to fit the antares.Hoping for first light tonighto on lunar and jupiter

Edited by nightfisher (10/26/12 03:01 PM)

DaveTinning

Reged: 01/03/09

Loc: Central England
      #5490486 - 10/26/12 04:03 PM

Lyra (Kunming) vs Tal 100..I'm not a vendor so maybe I can give my opinion? I have owned several Tals and currently have a lovely Lyra originally imported by Glen..

I haven't done a direct side by side, but used Tal's enough to know their capabilities pretty well. I'd split my opinions between optics and mechanics:

Optics (the most important part of any scope):

I'd score it a narrow win to the Lyra based on noticeably less CA than the Tal and I think the coatings on the Lyra transmit more light than the Tal - images look brighter. The reduced CA is not a huge difference and I think is probably about 10% - pro rata to the longer focal length of the Lyra (F11 versus F10).

Mechanics: Here I'd say it's a clear win to the Lyra. The build is superb for the price. The focuser is one of the best I have ever used, right up there with Moonlite. The dewshield is around 10" long and just makes the scope look so "right". The tube rings that come with the scope are different league to the Tal rings which look downright home made. The Tal crayford focuser is simple, but excellent.

If I was scoring out of 10 overall, I'd go Tal 7.5, Lyra 9.

Just my own opinion :-)

Dave

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: DaveTinning]
      #5490619 - 10/26/12 05:45 PM

Well, im pleased to report a first light on Lunar viewing, using this scope with the aperture mask at 80mm f19, i managed 300x magnification, and using several different eyepieces i really struggled to see any false colour, i do have to admit that its a bit of a handful on the mount, i sort of see why 4" f10, became so popular! its never going to beat my 180 mak, but its a lovely scope to view with

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
      #5490738 - 10/26/12 07:12 PM

That is great to hear the scope performs well. These long scopes can be a handful but can also be very satisfying to use.

The 90/1500mm Antares performs very well for me but I admit it does not get used so much these days. It is very lightweight and can be affected by strong breezes. The false colour is very low but can be seen under certain conditions. It is excellent for solar with a Baader solarfilm filter. One day I might convert it to a folded refractor and then I think it would get used more.

Andy

nightfisher

#5491313 - 10/27/12 08:22 AM

Quote:

- Jim

Jim, if you get the chance, could you measure the length of the focus extension please

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
36 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6468

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics