Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: nightfisher]
      #5491452 - 10/27/12 10:22 AM

Absolutely Jules. I'll do that today and post back.

Regards,

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nightfisher

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Huddersfield UK
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5494375 - 10/29/12 10:21 AM

Thanks Jim, i have to get a tube extension made up

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5494481 - 10/29/12 11:34 AM

Jules:

Sorry for the delay. It looks to be a 1.75" extension.

Antares make a 1.6" extension with a click-lock adapter, currently. I also have a 2.0" Orion extension that I might try.

I'm guessing that in-focus won't ever be a problem, so I suspect that any commonly available ~2" long extension tube would work.

Regards,

Jim

nightfisher

#5501953 - 11/03/12 03:54 AM

Thanks Jim, i will be getting an extension made to go between the ota and focuser, to try to keep it near original spec

Sky Muse
sage

Reged: 10/26/12

Loc: De Soto County, MS
      #5502488 - 11/03/12 02:32 PM

It might be worth filling the chip with a white epoxy, and very carefully. I wouldn't want to blacken it.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Sky Muse]
      #5502534 - 11/03/12 03:05 PM

Quote:

It might be worth filling the chip with a white epoxy, and very carefully. I wouldn't want to blacken it.

Blackening a chip like this is the preferred method, you want to prevent unwanted reflections, ghosting, ect from the reflective faces of the chip. White epoxy will just exacerbate the problem. The blackened chip will be no more detrimental that the secondary obstruction in reflectors.

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5503507 - 11/04/12 08:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Blackening a chip like this is the preferred method, you want to prevent unwanted reflections, ghosting, ect from the reflective faces of the chip. White epoxy will just exacerbate the problem. The blackened chip will be no more detrimental that the secondary obstruction in reflectors.

I am looking into a very high tech procedure that might result in a proper repair to this chip, but early stages yet, to be honest i dont see the chip causing much of a problem

philjay

Reged: 12/02/09

Loc: UK Derby
      #5507175 - 11/06/12 04:26 PM

Aha finally found your post Jules, lovely scope that BTW. Welcome to the 100 F15 club you wont regret it especially on planetary and doubles thats a lovely scope you have there with good optics.

The HEQ5 will handle it for visual nicely, mine handles my Fullerscopes 4 F15 and thats got a load of heavy brass on it.

You have me intrigued on the hi tech objective repair I shall watch with interest

Interesting extension they have Antares have there, from Jims post and pic it looks a simple enough job to sort out.

Phil

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: philjay]
      #5510104 - 11/08/12 02:57 PM

Cheers Phil, i have to keep the "potential" repair a bit hush hush, by time i next see you it should be done

Andy Howie
sage

Reged: 09/10/05

Loc: Paisley, Scotland
      #5510172 - 11/08/12 04:01 PM

Just thinking off the top of my head here, so choose to ignore
Regarding the adapter - If the thinness of the tube is worrysome, then possibly think of making the adapters nosepiece(ie: the part that will go inside the ota)longer than usual, so strengthing the whole , when it's screwed to the ota. Especially so, if you're hanging a good weight off the back end. So say, instead of 1/2" 'nose', increase it to an inch or more.
Hope you see what I mean. I seem to be having trouble getting my thoughts to the keyboard tonight.

Sky Muse
sage

#5510388 - 11/08/12 06:36 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

If it's to be painted, use flat black enamel and a quality sable brush. It might not be a bad idea to blacken the lenses edges as well, if the lenses are removed from the objective cell for the painting of the chip, and to reduce stray light overall; the inner portion of the cell, too, if not blackened already.

There seems to be no effective way to duplicate the missing portion and assimilating it into the remainder without visual detriment. It's not the same as with ordinary glass, so painting the chip is probably the only choice.

I recently restored an eyepiece, blackening the critical areas of the light path, including the lens edges.

Cheers,

Alan

nightfisher

#5510987 - 11/09/12 02:58 AM

Quote:

If it's to be painted, use flat black enamel and a quality sable brush. It might not be a bad idea to blacken the lenses edges as well, if the lenses are removed from the objective cell for the painting of the chip, and to reduce stray light overall; the inner portion of the cell, too, if not blackened already.

There seems to be no effective way to duplicate the missing portion and assimilating it into the remainder without visual detriment. It's not the same as with ordinary glass, so painting the chip is probably the only choice.

I recently restored an eyepiece, blackening the critical areas of the light path, including the lens edges.

Cheers,

Alan

Andy, i get what you are thinking, makes perfect sense, it will be worth getting this old girl as good as poss, it shows huge potential, and well its just a thing of beauty

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Andy Howie]
      #5511956 - 11/09/12 04:36 PM

The weakness is of the actual OTA material (thin aluminum irrigation pipe). Typical failure points include the three holes into which the screws attaching the rear assembly (focuser and extenders) are inserted. A sharp "whack" on the focuser end, such as in shipment, tends to cause the screws to rip through the thin aluminum.

What I did was epoxy on some thin metal washers over each of the mounting holes to thicken the material and add some steel (the washers I used were steel) to resist the the equally hard screw threads in the event of focuser impact. I don't believe that I have a post reinforcement image of the focuser end, but next time it's nice and I have the Antares out, I'll get some pictures of the washer-fix.

Regards,

Jim

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
      #5512350 - 11/09/12 09:35 PM

I did the exact same fix Jim described. My scope arrived with the holes ripped. The fix looks like a factory job and the damage is invisible and of no consequence.
Bill

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Bonco]
      #5512468 - 11/09/12 11:29 PM

This European vendor lists the Antares 105/1500 lens in cell for sale. If my calculation is correct the export price is approximately $430 USD plus postage.

Antares Elite objective

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: plyscope]
      #5512649 - 11/10/12 03:27 AM

Quote:

This European vendor lists the Antares 105/1500 lens in cell for sale. If my calculation is correct the export price is approximately $430 USD plus postage.

Antares Elite objective

I spotted that, but its nearly twice what i paid for the entire OTA

nightfisher

#5542143 - 11/27/12 01:33 PM

I now have the HEQ5 syntrek mount , all set up with power. Im hoping to remove the aperture mask on thursday for the full moon, and find out if the chip affects the view, might take a couple of lunar image`s and post them here

Sky Muse
sage

#5542195 - 11/27/12 01:57 PM

We'll be looking forward to your findings, sir.

Cheers,

Alan

Spyke
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Scotland
      #5542555 - 11/27/12 06:00 PM

I only just found this thread, Jules...

First off congrats on your little project. It sounds to me that with the chip blackened (and perhaps the lens edges too) you are going to really enjoy that scope - and obviously arleady are, even with the damage.

The HEQ5 Syntrek is a great mount. I'm glad I got mine last year, originally for my 6" f8 achro, but it also serves splendidly with all my OTA's (even the 60mm f13 Swift!)

Reading up on some of the stories told here, I may as well share the fact that a couple of years ago I owned a selection of ED refractors, including a lovely tasty 90mm f6.6 triplet from Telescope Service in Germany that was a superb instrument, and probably a better performer than I ever needed.

Fast forward to now, and I currently own a big medium f-ratio achro, a semi-classic 90mm f14.4 achro, a classic 60mm f13 achro, and have just sold a rare 80mm f12.5 achro, as well as previously, a 80mm f11 achro.

My tastes changed round about the time I acquired the 6" f8 and put so much time and effort into it. It showed how good an achro could be, and revealed that colour correction is not the be all and end all of a good telescope.

Hence the long pointy tubes I now own.

My enjoyment of the 90mm especially is immeasurable, and I'm constantly surprised by the quality of the 60mm Swift as well.

Inspired by these scopes, I'm currently assembling a Carton 60mm f16.7 from parts supplied by Richard at Skylight, and am really looking forward to seeing how well a self-built scope with relatively easily obtained, yet high quality, parts, can perform...!

Clear skies to all!

Ant

Edited by Spyke (11/27/12 06:02 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Spyke]
      #5542743 - 11/27/12 08:08 PM

Ant:

"Inspired by these scopes, I'm currently assembling a Carton 60mm f16.7 from parts supplied by Richard at Skylight, and am really looking forward to seeing how well a self-built scope with relatively easily obtained, yet high quality, parts, can perform...!"

I've built up three of the Carton 60/1000s using vintage, baffled Carton white enameled tubes, modern 1.25" R&P focusers and Towa cells and dew shades for two and a Carton cell for the third.

I've had these up against several vintage 60mm scopes from other makers (Towa optics mostly) and the Carton glass kicks arse by comparison. I use the best of the three all the time for showcase double star observing in the back yard. A Carton and a nice Ortho is all you need for endless fun.

I'd love to see a picture of your project when you complete it.

- Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
39 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6587

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics