Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
nightfisher

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Huddersfield UK
Antares 105mm f15 elite
      #5483658 - 10/22/12 01:23 PM

I have joined the ranks of owning one of these, having picked one up at a very sensible price, but with a twist, it has suffered damage to the objective, a chip of around 10mm to the outer edge, so it has been stopped down (removable) to 80mm f19, i have a few jobs to do to it prior to a proper first light report, but i can see it being a wonderful lunar and planet scope, not to mention double stars, i plan to update this thread as i perform mods and improvements, incidentally i have just found a complete new lens/objective for sale, but at twice what i paid for the whole scope!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: nightfisher]
      #5483740 - 10/22/12 02:13 PM

Excellent.

Keep us posted. Also an image of the damage would be great. It may be something you could mask off short of actually having to stop the scope down.

Also, if you have the Antares OTA, it already stops the objective down to about 94-95mm, so if the damage is in the outer 10mm, you could probably just black it out and not even know it was there so long as you continue to use the stock tube assembly.

Congratulations. These are find double star scopes; generally excellent optical figure quality and a long focal length/slow focal ratio, which in combination are a recipe for minimizing atmospherically induced shifts in focus. really good optics and really slow optics have this characteristic. Really good, really slow optics are doubly blessed in this regard.

You will get some false color on bright blue-white stars, and on other bright targets above 100x, but it's not that bad, and certainly doesn't undo the other virtues of the scope. But she's a long beast. What are you mounting her on?

- Jim

ValeryD
Vendor (Aries)

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Kherson, Ukraine.
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5483780 - 10/22/12 02:33 PM

Just paint the chip by a black. No real impact on image.

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: ValeryD]
      #5484037 - 10/22/12 05:23 PM

Ditto on covering the chip or like Jim said if close to the edge it might have no effect on performance. Check it out before you do anything. I'd try it on the moon, if the chip causes a flare or glare then I'd consider covering it. The Antares scope has excellent optics and is a joy to use if properly mounted.
Bill

ValeryD
Vendor (Aries)

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Kherson, Ukraine.
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Bonco]
      #5484576 - 10/23/12 12:19 AM

Quote:

Ditto on covering the chip or like Jim said if close to the edge it might have no effect on performance. Check it out before you do anything. I'd try it on the moon, if the chip causes a flare or glare then I'd consider covering it. The Antares scope has excellent optics and is a joy to use if properly mounted.
Bill

The chip MUST be painted black! It will scatter the light IN ANY CASE. The % of scattering on a painted black chip vs unpainted one is much much less and will be undetectable for an eye.
Not a big deal - to paint it. A few minutes. A black nail polish paint is just OK.

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: ValeryD]
      #5484685 - 10/23/12 01:26 AM

I have considered painting the chip, and yes it is right at the edge of the inner lens flint, so as these are stopped down to start with, very little lost, other than the chip, the optics are like new

Edited by nightfisher (10/24/12 01:25 PM)

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Reged: 05/20/07

Loc: Lancashire England
      #5485224 - 10/23/12 12:52 PM

Jules,

Another refractor. You will have to stop at some point. There just isn't a cure is there?

Don't forget that Richard is now selling kits for the Carton F/13

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: GlenM]
      #5485509 - 10/23/12 03:44 PM

Quote:

Jules,

Another refractor. You will have to stop at some point. There just isn't a cure is there?

I know, and a friend of mine has just got the complete f13 carton.
regarding mount, i currently have an EQ5/CG5 combo, but have plans to go HEQ5/CG5 very soon, it needs a decent mount!
Agood friend and fellow refractor fan has happily agreed to help with a few mods, to help get the best from it, i will downsize a pic tomorrow and post it on here

DaveTinning

Reged: 01/03/09

Loc: Central England
      #5485528 - 10/23/12 03:53 PM

Hi Jules,

As Glen says, there is NO cure. My affliction started with 60mm F15-16 Prinz optics scopes in the 70s, made by Towa.

Let me tell you a little story: and if you hate me afterwards, it won't be as much as I hate myself each time I remember it!.. In 1991 my late father left me a modest sum to specifically buy a telescope..I had been out of the hobby for about 20 years, (work, wife, bills to pay, enough said). One day I was on business in Liverpool and went past a shop called "Scope City". I had never heard of it, but noticed a really nice looking telescope in the window on what looked like a huge wooden tripod.

Intrigued, I walked in the shop and asked the man there what it was. He said "it's a Unitron 4" folded refractor, but here in Europe they are sold under the Polarex name". I'd heard of Unitron, of course, seen adverts etc and thought "if only"..but never heard of Polarex. And this was a short, fat tube, more like a Maksutov (due to the folded optics of course - it was an F15).

But I could tell it was a beautifully engineered piece, with two lovely wooden crates to pack it into..the mount was a work of art and it came with 5 eyepieces and a turret! One of the eps was definitely at 2", a big beast, and the others I think were 0.965".

So I asked the guy how much and he said 495. I took it then and there and it took up the entire whole rear seat of my car, packed into the two boxes.

But I thought that refractors are long slim scopes, not fat ones..so I hatched a plan to have it customised. I contacted Orion Optics UK (who make the OMC140 Mak and other fine reflectors) and asked them to test the lens to see if it was worth building a bespoke long tube, using the original lens cell and focuser/finder. They said the lens was good..not outstanding, but good, and they quoted me 150 to build the tube. And they even put UNITRON in black lettering on the tube!

So, I ended up with an F15 long tube folded European Unitron. And like an idiot, I trashed the old components of the folded original tube, instead of keeping them (we learn about these things when we are too old!).

I used the scope a fair bit for about 3 years (I had very young children then) but eventually cash was tight and I sold her for 400 through Sky at Night magazine in 1994 (no internet or CN then!). The same day the magazine hit the stands I got a guy who said he'd take it and would drive up that day to pick it up. Sure enough he arrived later that day, gave me the cash and almost ran out of the house..

That scope was a work of art, even in folded form. I dread to think what it might have been worth now, in mint condition as it was. The accessories were superb and everything was just so "right" about that scope. It wasn't the best I've ever looked through, but it "felt" the best, if you understand what I mean.

Ever since I've been totally hooked on long focus fracs. Even my Stargazers Lounge handle is "F15 Rules"!

I totally understand your being so thrilled with this scope. I wish you many happy, and thrilling nights with this lovely instrument.

kind regards

Dave

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5485620 - 10/23/12 04:46 PM

105/1500 on a CG5 with Antares 48" Pier:

I also now have the 60" version of the pier and prefer it for the following reason:

The CG5 mount with VSPs is good enough for this long but very lightweight OTA.

Regards,

Jim

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

#5485669 - 10/23/12 05:05 PM

Jules,
Just how many fracs do you own at the moment?
Looking forward to the pics. I'm sure that the optics will not let you down. My personal preferences for mounts are Alt/az for long focus refractors,but that's just me.
Those Carton lenses sure are very good. I've not seen a bad one yet. Of course you HAVE to use Ortho's with them.

Dave,

Wasn't the shop on Bold Street in Liverpool? I was there quite a few years ago when they were altering all the traffic flow and ended up in the bus station :crazy
I wondered what all the strange looks were for.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
      #5485688 - 10/23/12 05:15 PM

Quote:

Details? Link? Thanks!

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5485706 - 10/23/12 05:22 PM

Richard placed a ad on www.ukastrobuysell.com
Around the third page.

Edited by GlenM (10/23/12 05:24 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5485707 - 10/23/12 05:23 PM

http://skylight.myshopify.com/

Regards,

Jim

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

#5485713 - 10/23/12 05:25 PM

Thanks,Jim,much better than my link.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

#5485775 - 10/23/12 05:57 PM Attachment (65 downloads)

At the moment I'm starting to make a refractor based onthe Carton 100mm f/13 lens.
When complete I will be testing it head to head with several Chinese Achro's and a very nice APO.
Will be interesting to see how well it does. Here is a shot of the lens fitted in the cell assembly I made.

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Rutilus]
      #5485887 - 10/23/12 07:10 PM

Looking very good. I've never used a wooden counter cell myself.

There are some very good Chinese Achro's now available. Some of them much better than a badly designed ED.

You may be surprised by some of them.

Enjoy your build.

nightfisher

#5486965 - 10/24/12 12:52 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

Dave, what a moving but sickening tale of the polarex, we will talk more on email.
Jim, i guess you still have your 105 f15, what focuser does your one have, my one has been fitted with a skywatcher dual speed crayford, but i dont have enough out focus, this is being remedied.
Glen, I have three refractors, the antares, or "spirit" as i have named it, the Ta100rs and my Vixen 80m custom, though i might have to sell the vixen now.
HEQ5 mount being sorted, on CG5 tripod

Edited by nightfisher (10/24/12 12:57 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5487159 - 10/24/12 03:15 PM

Jules, mine came with the GSO dual speed Crayford, which I eventually replaced with a GSO single speed Crayford, though I also have a Synta 2" R&P on hand that I may give a go on the scope. It looks like it will bolt straight on.

As for outfocus, yes the 1500mm f.l. units were deliberately built a bit short. Originally they shipped with a 2" long extension tube with a 2" compression fitting. You can see that here:

I typically use a 1.25" Vixen prism diagonal with mine, though I have also used 2" mirror diagonals with it. With the prism diagonal at least, the extension is a "must use" item.

Another little trick I recommend is using a high-bond epoxy or similar to permanently affix thin metal washers around each of the three holes where the rear assembly attaches to the main tube, to reinforce the rather thin walls at those stress points.

Regards,

Jim

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5487177 - 10/24/12 03:28 PM

Fantastic looking scopes.. I'd buy one if I could find one!

nightfisher

#5487198 - 10/24/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

Jules, mine came with the GSO dual speed Crayford, which I eventually replaced with a GSO single speed Crayford, though I also have a Synta 2" R&P on hand that I may give a go on the scope. It looks like it will bolt straight on.

As for outfocus, yes the 1500mm f.l. units were deliberately built a bit short. Originally they shipped with a 2" long extension tube with a 2" compression fitting. You can see that here:

I typically use a 1.25" Vixen prism diagonal with mine, though I have also used 2" mirror diagonals with it. With the prism diagonal at least, the extension is a "must use" item.

Another little trick I recommend is using a high-bond epoxy or similar to permanently affix thin metal washers around each of the three holes where the rear assembly attaches to the main tube, to reinforce the rather thin walls at those stress points.

Regards,

Jim

Jim, many thanks for that post, as you can see mine is missing the extension, i think i have cured the problem, had a rare "eureka" moment and have just fitted a 2" diagonal with a 1.25 reducer, this will lengthen the light path, now all i need is some clear night skies (so rare in the UK)

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

#5487366 - 10/24/12 05:22 PM

Very nice,Jules.

Just be careful with it if you are under the flight path for Leeds/Bradford.

Just something about a long focus refractor. They do look majestic.

Clear Skies forecast as well this weekend

I'm not doing well because I've never looked through any of your present refractors. I don't name my scopes but somehow they do receive one sometimes while building.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5487402 - 10/24/12 05:50 PM

James, if I ever get bored of mine, I'll bequeath it to you.

- Jim

John Huntley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/16/06

Loc: South West England
      #5487500 - 10/24/12 07:13 PM

Great looking scope Jules

On the subject of refractors "looking right", last night I had the opportunity to do a little filming with a regional TV network who were putting together a montage of leisure activities in our region of the UK - astronomy being one of them.

I assembled along with half a dozen members of the local astro society, all of whom had bought their dobs and SCT's. For the sake of portability I had bought my refractor on a simple alt-az mount along and guess which scope the TV company wanted to feature most ? - my refractor of course !

I felt a little embarrassed for the good folks who had lugged their nice scopes to the filming spot - especially when one of the TV crew said that the SCT's looked too much like the filming lights and could confuse the viewers

My ED120 refractor (hope it's not one of the "badly designed ED's" that Glen refers to !) has only half the focal ratio that your Antares does though - I imagine the TV folks would have gone berserk if I'd shown up with something twice the length

Looking forward to first light reports on your lovely new instrument soon

nightfisher

#5487890 - 10/24/12 11:58 PM

Quote:

Very nice,Jules.

Just be careful with it if you are under the flight path for Leeds/Bradford.

Just something about a long focus refractor. They do look majestic.

Clear Skies forecast as well this weekend

I'm not doing well because I've never looked through any of your present refractors. I don't name my scopes but somehow they do receive one sometimes while building.

will have to see what we can do to change this situatiion glen

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: John Huntley]
      #5488360 - 10/25/12 10:43 AM

Hi John,

I wondered who would be the first to pick up on my wording. Perhaps I should say badly designed optics. I know for sure that your ED120 is excellent. I had the Equinox version a couple of years ago and it was a excellent scope with the very underrated Skywatcher focuser.

What I was trying to say is that it's not really down to the ED part of the lens,but the mating glass some use. I did have the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to look through a fast triplet using Chinese FK-61 with has similar index to Ohara FPL-51. The mechanics of the scope were pretty good,the optics on the other hand were abysmal. Of course that is only my opinion based on that one scope,which I won't name of course. I have no doubt that a good high quality scope can be built using the cheaper ED glass but the mating elements must be chosen carefully.

Then again what do I know. I sell Orthoscopics eyepieces which I am told repeatedly are a old design that went out of favour years ago. It seems that some people actually prefer Plossls which have a shorter eye relief and have a very 'warm' tone,some would say colourful

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

#5488387 - 10/25/12 10:58 AM

Yes,a side by side with the 4" F/11 Kunming and the Tal 100 would be good. I have chatted to a few people who have actually done this.

I know which one had the edge from what other people said.

Forecast is looking good for the weekend.

nightfisher

#5488628 - 10/25/12 01:28 PM

Then again what do I know. I sell Orthoscopics eyepieces which I am told repeatedly are a old design that went out of favour years ago. It seems that some people actually prefer Plossls which have a shorter eye relief and have a very 'warm' tone,some would say colourful

Glen, the ortho`s you stock are some very fine eyepiece`s indeed, far better than a plossl, yes i would like to try the Tal head to head with the 4" f11 Lyra scope, but not this weekend, very little time

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5488707 - 10/25/12 02:09 PM

Quote:

- Jim

Hah! Awesome!

-James

ukcanuck
Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: London, UK
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5488775 - 10/25/12 02:47 PM

Ortho's are nice...

I do find myself rather hypnotized with the view through a nice long achromat and my 17mm Type 4 Nagler. The combination of nice wide field & long achro image makes my day...

Bonco
Post Laureate

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5489333 - 10/25/12 09:59 PM

Ditto to the Naglers, my 4.8 mm is used all the time with great results.
Bill

daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
      #5489699 - 10/26/12 04:48 AM

Glen are u not allowed to say which had the edge 4" f11 or Tal from your conversation with others cos you're a vendor?

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: daniel_h]
      #5489739 - 10/26/12 06:05 AM

I think it might be pushing it a bit

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
      #5489828 - 10/26/12 08:23 AM Attachment (51 downloads)

Hope you don't mind me adding a picture of my 90mm f16.7 Antares. This has the same 1500mm focal length as the 105mm. I purchased the lens only a few years ago and built my own tube from 4mm plywood.

Andy

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: plyscope]
      #5489961 - 10/26/12 10:29 AM

Your work is always stunning,Andy.

What a beautiful scope.

nightfisher

#5490387 - 10/26/12 02:57 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

Andy, that 90mm antares is a work of art, how does it perform?

I have done some more work on the 105, flocked the inside of the dew shield, always worth doing but on this scope there was some movement on the shield, the flocking has taken care of this, and i have adapted my white light solar filter from my Tal100 to fit the antares.Hoping for first light tonighto on lunar and jupiter

Edited by nightfisher (10/26/12 03:01 PM)

DaveTinning

Reged: 01/03/09

Loc: Central England
      #5490486 - 10/26/12 04:03 PM

Lyra (Kunming) vs Tal 100..I'm not a vendor so maybe I can give my opinion? I have owned several Tals and currently have a lovely Lyra originally imported by Glen..

I haven't done a direct side by side, but used Tal's enough to know their capabilities pretty well. I'd split my opinions between optics and mechanics:

Optics (the most important part of any scope):

I'd score it a narrow win to the Lyra based on noticeably less CA than the Tal and I think the coatings on the Lyra transmit more light than the Tal - images look brighter. The reduced CA is not a huge difference and I think is probably about 10% - pro rata to the longer focal length of the Lyra (F11 versus F10).

Mechanics: Here I'd say it's a clear win to the Lyra. The build is superb for the price. The focuser is one of the best I have ever used, right up there with Moonlite. The dewshield is around 10" long and just makes the scope look so "right". The tube rings that come with the scope are different league to the Tal rings which look downright home made. The Tal crayford focuser is simple, but excellent.

If I was scoring out of 10 overall, I'd go Tal 7.5, Lyra 9.

Just my own opinion :-)

Dave

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: DaveTinning]
      #5490619 - 10/26/12 05:45 PM

Well, im pleased to report a first light on Lunar viewing, using this scope with the aperture mask at 80mm f19, i managed 300x magnification, and using several different eyepieces i really struggled to see any false colour, i do have to admit that its a bit of a handful on the mount, i sort of see why 4" f10, became so popular! its never going to beat my 180 mak, but its a lovely scope to view with

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

#5490738 - 10/26/12 07:12 PM

That is great to hear the scope performs well. These long scopes can be a handful but can also be very satisfying to use.

The 90/1500mm Antares performs very well for me but I admit it does not get used so much these days. It is very lightweight and can be affected by strong breezes. The false colour is very low but can be seen under certain conditions. It is excellent for solar with a Baader solarfilm filter. One day I might convert it to a folded refractor and then I think it would get used more.

Andy

nightfisher

#5491313 - 10/27/12 08:22 AM

Quote:

- Jim

Jim, if you get the chance, could you measure the length of the focus extension please

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5491452 - 10/27/12 10:22 AM

Absolutely Jules. I'll do that today and post back.

Regards,

Jim

nightfisher

#5494375 - 10/29/12 10:21 AM

Thanks Jim, i have to get a tube extension made up

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5494481 - 10/29/12 11:34 AM

Jules:

Sorry for the delay. It looks to be a 1.75" extension.

Antares make a 1.6" extension with a click-lock adapter, currently. I also have a 2.0" Orion extension that I might try.

I'm guessing that in-focus won't ever be a problem, so I suspect that any commonly available ~2" long extension tube would work.

Regards,

Jim

nightfisher

#5501953 - 11/03/12 03:54 AM

Thanks Jim, i will be getting an extension made to go between the ota and focuser, to try to keep it near original spec

Sky Muse
sage

Reged: 10/26/12

Loc: De Soto County, MS
      #5502488 - 11/03/12 02:32 PM

It might be worth filling the chip with a white epoxy, and very carefully. I wouldn't want to blacken it.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Sky Muse]
      #5502534 - 11/03/12 03:05 PM

Quote:

It might be worth filling the chip with a white epoxy, and very carefully. I wouldn't want to blacken it.

Blackening a chip like this is the preferred method, you want to prevent unwanted reflections, ghosting, ect from the reflective faces of the chip. White epoxy will just exacerbate the problem. The blackened chip will be no more detrimental that the secondary obstruction in reflectors.

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5503507 - 11/04/12 08:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Blackening a chip like this is the preferred method, you want to prevent unwanted reflections, ghosting, ect from the reflective faces of the chip. White epoxy will just exacerbate the problem. The blackened chip will be no more detrimental that the secondary obstruction in reflectors.

I am looking into a very high tech procedure that might result in a proper repair to this chip, but early stages yet, to be honest i dont see the chip causing much of a problem

philjay

Reged: 12/02/09

Loc: UK Derby
      #5507175 - 11/06/12 04:26 PM

Aha finally found your post Jules, lovely scope that BTW. Welcome to the 100 F15 club you wont regret it especially on planetary and doubles thats a lovely scope you have there with good optics.

The HEQ5 will handle it for visual nicely, mine handles my Fullerscopes 4 F15 and thats got a load of heavy brass on it.

You have me intrigued on the hi tech objective repair I shall watch with interest

Interesting extension they have Antares have there, from Jims post and pic it looks a simple enough job to sort out.

Phil

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: philjay]
      #5510104 - 11/08/12 02:57 PM

Cheers Phil, i have to keep the "potential" repair a bit hush hush, by time i next see you it should be done

Andy Howie
sage

Reged: 09/10/05

Loc: Paisley, Scotland
      #5510172 - 11/08/12 04:01 PM

Just thinking off the top of my head here, so choose to ignore
Regarding the adapter - If the thinness of the tube is worrysome, then possibly think of making the adapters nosepiece(ie: the part that will go inside the ota)longer than usual, so strengthing the whole , when it's screwed to the ota. Especially so, if you're hanging a good weight off the back end. So say, instead of 1/2" 'nose', increase it to an inch or more.
Hope you see what I mean. I seem to be having trouble getting my thoughts to the keyboard tonight.

Sky Muse
sage

#5510388 - 11/08/12 06:36 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

If it's to be painted, use flat black enamel and a quality sable brush. It might not be a bad idea to blacken the lenses edges as well, if the lenses are removed from the objective cell for the painting of the chip, and to reduce stray light overall; the inner portion of the cell, too, if not blackened already.

There seems to be no effective way to duplicate the missing portion and assimilating it into the remainder without visual detriment. It's not the same as with ordinary glass, so painting the chip is probably the only choice.

I recently restored an eyepiece, blackening the critical areas of the light path, including the lens edges.

Cheers,

Alan

nightfisher

#5510987 - 11/09/12 02:58 AM

Quote:

If it's to be painted, use flat black enamel and a quality sable brush. It might not be a bad idea to blacken the lenses edges as well, if the lenses are removed from the objective cell for the painting of the chip, and to reduce stray light overall; the inner portion of the cell, too, if not blackened already.

There seems to be no effective way to duplicate the missing portion and assimilating it into the remainder without visual detriment. It's not the same as with ordinary glass, so painting the chip is probably the only choice.

I recently restored an eyepiece, blackening the critical areas of the light path, including the lens edges.

Cheers,

Alan

Andy, i get what you are thinking, makes perfect sense, it will be worth getting this old girl as good as poss, it shows huge potential, and well its just a thing of beauty

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Andy Howie]
      #5511956 - 11/09/12 04:36 PM

The weakness is of the actual OTA material (thin aluminum irrigation pipe). Typical failure points include the three holes into which the screws attaching the rear assembly (focuser and extenders) are inserted. A sharp "whack" on the focuser end, such as in shipment, tends to cause the screws to rip through the thin aluminum.

What I did was epoxy on some thin metal washers over each of the mounting holes to thicken the material and add some steel (the washers I used were steel) to resist the the equally hard screw threads in the event of focuser impact. I don't believe that I have a post reinforcement image of the focuser end, but next time it's nice and I have the Antares out, I'll get some pictures of the washer-fix.

Regards,

Jim

Bonco
Post Laureate

#5512350 - 11/09/12 09:35 PM

I did the exact same fix Jim described. My scope arrived with the holes ripped. The fix looks like a factory job and the damage is invisible and of no consequence.
Bill

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

#5512468 - 11/09/12 11:29 PM

This European vendor lists the Antares 105/1500 lens in cell for sale. If my calculation is correct the export price is approximately $430 USD plus postage.

Antares Elite objective

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: plyscope]
      #5512649 - 11/10/12 03:27 AM

Quote:

This European vendor lists the Antares 105/1500 lens in cell for sale. If my calculation is correct the export price is approximately $430 USD plus postage.

Antares Elite objective

I spotted that, but its nearly twice what i paid for the entire OTA

nightfisher

#5542143 - 11/27/12 01:33 PM

I now have the HEQ5 syntrek mount , all set up with power. Im hoping to remove the aperture mask on thursday for the full moon, and find out if the chip affects the view, might take a couple of lunar image`s and post them here

Sky Muse
sage

#5542195 - 11/27/12 01:57 PM

We'll be looking forward to your findings, sir.

Cheers,

Alan

Spyke
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Scotland
      #5542555 - 11/27/12 06:00 PM

I only just found this thread, Jules...

First off congrats on your little project. It sounds to me that with the chip blackened (and perhaps the lens edges too) you are going to really enjoy that scope - and obviously arleady are, even with the damage.

The HEQ5 Syntrek is a great mount. I'm glad I got mine last year, originally for my 6" f8 achro, but it also serves splendidly with all my OTA's (even the 60mm f13 Swift!)

Reading up on some of the stories told here, I may as well share the fact that a couple of years ago I owned a selection of ED refractors, including a lovely tasty 90mm f6.6 triplet from Telescope Service in Germany that was a superb instrument, and probably a better performer than I ever needed.

Fast forward to now, and I currently own a big medium f-ratio achro, a semi-classic 90mm f14.4 achro, a classic 60mm f13 achro, and have just sold a rare 80mm f12.5 achro, as well as previously, a 80mm f11 achro.

My tastes changed round about the time I acquired the 6" f8 and put so much time and effort into it. It showed how good an achro could be, and revealed that colour correction is not the be all and end all of a good telescope.

Hence the long pointy tubes I now own.

My enjoyment of the 90mm especially is immeasurable, and I'm constantly surprised by the quality of the 60mm Swift as well.

Inspired by these scopes, I'm currently assembling a Carton 60mm f16.7 from parts supplied by Richard at Skylight, and am really looking forward to seeing how well a self-built scope with relatively easily obtained, yet high quality, parts, can perform...!

Clear skies to all!

Ant

Edited by Spyke (11/27/12 06:02 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Spyke]
      #5542743 - 11/27/12 08:08 PM

Ant:

"Inspired by these scopes, I'm currently assembling a Carton 60mm f16.7 from parts supplied by Richard at Skylight, and am really looking forward to seeing how well a self-built scope with relatively easily obtained, yet high quality, parts, can perform...!"

I've built up three of the Carton 60/1000s using vintage, baffled Carton white enameled tubes, modern 1.25" R&P focusers and Towa cells and dew shades for two and a Carton cell for the third.

I've had these up against several vintage 60mm scopes from other makers (Towa optics mostly) and the Carton glass kicks arse by comparison. I use the best of the three all the time for showcase double star observing in the back yard. A Carton and a nice Ortho is all you need for endless fun.

I'd love to see a picture of your project when you complete it.

- Jim

nightfisher

#5544034 - 11/28/12 02:57 PM

Hi Ant, did not know your user name on here, like Jim says, i will be happy to hear updates on your 60mm carton home build, i would love to get the carton 100 f13, Hmm new project

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

#5544147 - 11/28/12 04:04 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

I've just built a scope around the Carton 100mm f/13
and I'm testing the lens at the moment. From what I
have seen so far, the Carton is one very impressive lens.
I have used quite a few APO's, and own a TSA 102,
and I am extremely pleased by this Carton lens.

nightfisher

#5545380 - 11/29/12 11:43 AM

I now have a new finder scope for the 105..........to complete the "unitron" feel, i have got an old tasco ateroid vary power to fit along side the ota, once mounted it should work pretty well

Sky Muse
sage

#5545474 - 11/29/12 12:42 PM

That deserves a motorised equatorial.

The Skylight 4" f/15, forthcoming in future, is appearing more and more desirable.

Alan

nightfisher

#5545849 - 11/29/12 05:05 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

With a bit of luck, this post should contain my first lunar image taken with the 105mm....at full chipped aperture, just a quick single shot with micro four thirds dslr

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

#5566418 - 12/11/12 06:35 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Nice pic, seem's that the chink does not cause trouble.

I retouch your pic with your permit ion :-) I can delete it if you want.

Edited by Pollux556 (12/11/12 06:49 PM)

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5570862 - 12/14/12 01:22 PM

I am happy with the image being tweaked, it was just a quick shot, badly focused

nightfisher

#5577349 - 12/18/12 01:50 PM

Well, the OTA extension is done, machined out of ali billet, and i have changed the dove tail to a shorter one to help stability, will post a couple of pics showing the extension when i get a chance, big thanks to Phil for making the extension, he put a lot of time and effort into it

philjay

Reged: 12/02/09

Loc: UK Derby
      #5577478 - 12/18/12 03:18 PM

It looks like a real scope now Jules

Good images BTW, prefer the tweaked, a bit more contrast

Phil

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

#5577923 - 12/18/12 09:07 PM

Quote:

I am happy with the image being tweaked, it was just a quick shot, badly focused

Not so bad Jules, look the result

nightfisher

Re: Antares 105mm f15 elite new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5679578 - 02/14/13 02:08 PM

An update on this old long scope, i struggled to use it, due to the length, so had it up for sale, then a well respected astronomer, Peter drew suggested a Hargreaves strut, my first though was "is this an alternative to the foxtrot" but a quick look on google revealed a rather clever idea to brace the scope, so keeping it and seeing if i can get it mounted better (HEQ5)

Bonco
Post Laureate

#5679720 - 02/14/13 03:14 PM

I've been wanting to make a strut. Let us know your results.
Thanks, Bill

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
      #5679913 - 02/14/13 05:19 PM

S&T had an article on the Hargreaves strut many years ago. Great option to tame vibration on a scope with a long moment arm.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
46 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6467

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics