Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Triplet Apo new [Re: Rait]
      #5519239 - 11/14/12 09:22 AM

It depends on what you want to image. Think of the scope like a camera lens. Obviously you wouldn't want to use a wide angle lens to capture an image of a bird at a fair distance away. It's the same thing with imaging deepsky objects. Some are quite large and bright and some are very small and faint. The small faint ones require a scope with more aperture and a longer focal length to make the image scale larger and the f/ratio lower.

What I'm suggesting is that you consider what it is that you want to capture before making your purchase. It can be disappointing to find out after buying your gear that the image you took of a galaxy is so small you can barely see it...or that the image you want to take of a large object won't fit in the frame.

I'm not saying I prefer 8-10" Newts or SCT's or anything. I'm saying you need to choose the right tool for the application. It's not uncommon for imagers to have multiple scopes for different objects. It could be a 130mm to 150mm APO is exactly what you want. I'm only suggesting you do some research to make sure you can get the kind of framing you want with the camera you'll be using on the objects you'll be imaging.

I can't afford expensive APO's so I have limited experience in that regard. I can tell you that the longer the focal length the more challenging it becomes to get good images.

Patrick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Emanuel
sage

Reged: 08/30/09

Re: Triplet Apo new [Re: Patrick]
      #5519480 - 11/14/12 12:34 PM

Rait, i didnt have the chance to compare my WO with the Ts or Apm scope.
Anyway, you have to think this way: Ts 130mm triplet is made in China, wich is the place where more telescopes are made. This means that is mass producted, and as so, the same telescope is sold under several diferent brands; if you want a example, the new Meade 6000 series 130mm triplet is exactly the same as the Ts 130 mm triplet; Williams optics sometimes use the same manufacturer and sometimes uses the very best on their objective, like the Russian Lzos. On the top of all this ,manufacturers like TEC, AstroPhysics, Takahashi, or APM, manufacture their own lenses or use Lzos/Lomo optics at the very best standars on the market; as so, the price of the scopes is also very high. It is expensive, but, if you can afford it, its worth every dimme.
When it came to comparison, between a doublet and a triplet, you have to think this way: three lenses will correct better the chromatic aberration of an image than two, right?
By the way, from wich country are you? Im from Portugal, and luckly the weather is not that bad, for this time of the year.

Edited by Emanuel (11/14/12 12:39 PM)

Ron Luxemburg

Reged: 04/18/07

Loc: Southern California
Re: Triplet Apo new [Re: Emanuel]
      #5519924 - 11/14/12 06:33 PM

Rait,
Just a quick FYI, I just got a 132 and I really like it, however be aware that more then likely if you decide to go with the WO 132 F7 FLT you will very likely need to add a 2 inch extension for your eyepieces to reach focus in the diagonal as well as prime focus with a DSLR. I put together a spreadsheet noting the distance indicated by the Digital Guide focuser in millimeters and added that number to the 2 inch extension that I was using which in my case was an additionall 55mm. I'm running all TeleVue eyepieces, mostly Panoptics and Naglers and one Ethos. The current focuser will give you 100mm maximum extension however when I averaged out all my eyepieces on average they come to focus in the 110-115mm range on the 132. My 11mm T1 Nagler needs to go to nearly 130mm to reach focus in a diagonal. *Note I'm not counting the diagonal in the sum total here just the extension and the focuser read out.

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: Triplet Apo new [Re: Rait]
      #5520185 - 11/14/12 09:26 PM

Quote:

Emanuel,

Thanks, I will check. Your replay put new questions in my mind. Have you compared your WO 132 with TS or AMP? Are they in different in image quality level? How you would compared triplet and doublet, is it better image quality? Yes, I am from europe country where unfortunately weather conditions are very unpleasant for sky lover.
Rait

Especially with the WO FLT-132 you need to be careful, some lemons have been floating around on the used market. There are optical tests available on a German site that proof this. It seems there was a problem with the lens cell design at some point. So buying used is a risk!

TS in Germany seems to do some in house checks of their optics before shipping which would eliminate serious problems not discovered during production...

regards
Chris

Rait
journeyman

Reged: 11/12/12

Re: Triplet Apo new [Re: Emanuel]
      #5520900 - 11/15/12 10:20 AM

Emanuel,
Thanks, I am from Estonia. We have long nights in winter time, at the moment sunset is 15:53 and sunrise 07:59, but in wintertime we do not have many clear nights. Summer time we have more clear nights but then in July example sunset 21:00 and sunrise 03:30 - no night at all. So it is terrible and I always envy who's live in better area.
Rait

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1941

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics