Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: James Ling]
      #5593948 - 12/29/12 09:00 AM

Excellent information!! I'm thinking of putting either one or the other of those scopes on an EQ6 mount (for Solar only). This helps my decision process.

Thanks!
Paul

Quote:

Hi Pete...

Hope you are not disappointed with the actual weight I taken today, for the 2 scopes...

1. C6R F8 , OTA with original focuser and tube rings.... 19.2 Lbs.

2. APM 152 ED APO, OTA with AMP focuser and tube rings..... 21.6 Lbs.

Yes... The APM ED APO , is much more heavier , when I carry them , and placed onto my weighing scale....
(Refer to photo) --both are almost the same, except APM dew shield is retractable....

REgards

James Ling

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James Ling
sage

Reged: 09/18/10

Loc: Singapore
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5594926 - 12/29/12 07:12 PM Attachment (124 downloads)

Hi All....

Now I also have modified my other 11 Lbs counterweight to fit onto the GM8 counterweight bar, so that the scope can be use at zero degree latitude setting. ( Singapore is at 1 deg N )
So with the 7 Lbs counterweight that come along with my GM8 purchase, goes with the 11 Lbs , it will take the APM ED APO easily...

And as this is done, I can have my other scopes, mounted onto the G11, and I am ready to do my scope to scope comparison with my own scopes against the APM ED APO....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5599146 - 01/01/13 06:23 AM Attachment (158 downloads)

Hi All.....

After so many weeks, today around 5pm, managed to use the 152 APM ED APO at the Sun, through the Lunt Solar wedge and continuum filter....

Photo attachment shows the details of sunspots taken with 2X barlow, using a canon DSLR..

BTW, tonight if the weather is still good, I will be doing the scope to scope compare with my friend, Richard's 152 APM triplet APO....

REgards

James Ling

F60.4

Reged: 10/26/11

Loc: Norfolk England
      #5599149 - 01/01/13 06:42 AM

Nice image James - looking forward to the 152 doublet/triplet shootout!

mblack
Throw me a bone here

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: Florida, USA.
      #5599189 - 01/01/13 08:28 AM

Quote:

And as this is done, I can have my other scopes, mounted onto the G11, and I am ready to do my scope to scope comparison with my own scopes against the APM ED APO....

Very nice, should make for a fun evening. Looking forward to your impressions.

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: F60.4]
      #5599223 - 01/01/13 09:04 AM

Quote:

Nice image James - looking forward to the 152 doublet/triplet shootout!

Hi Bro...

Thanks for the comment....
I have to admit I am a visual guy, and I don't take good astro photos....
Everybody knows the actual view through the eye piece is very much clearer in the details than this photo taken by me...
And if to compare against my C6R F8, yes, there is a difference, although both can show intricate details of the sunspots through the Lunt Solar wedge...

And for tonight's shootout, will be another two to three hours from now....as I am GMT + 8hrs ...
Hope the weather stays as now , coz 2 hours ago clouds and thunders are all over the place...

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: mblack]
      #5599248 - 01/01/13 09:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Very nice, should make for a fun evening. Looking forward to your impressions.

Hi David.

I think most CN members in the refractor section, wanted to know how much the difference on the performance between the APM ED APO against the APM triplet APO, as such I will have the 1st shootout between the two APM scopes...

After the 2 APM shootout is done, I will plan to have the APM ED APO shootout against my 3 bigger scopes, and all are on planetary , not DSO...
And that is the reason I wanted to have my 2 losmandy mounts ready for the other shootout...

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5599675 - 01/01/13 01:57 PM Attachment (132 downloads)

Hi All....

Tonight shootout between the new APM ED APO against the APM triplet APO is a quick and fast setup, compare , and then pack and go..........

Richard and myself have failed to do this over the past few weeks, simply both of us are working, and we could only meet up during weekend or holiday, and we want Jupiter to be as high as possible, under a clear night....
But the weather seems not co-operative with us, even today till the very last few hours....

Tonight we decided to meet after 11pm, after we reconfirmed at 9.30pm, the sky is clear, despite earlier, the clouds and thunderstorms are all the places....

The following photos shows our simple setup, and only 2 of us, not involving any other friends....

Photo 1 shows my friend, Richard doing his APM triplet APO setup...

James Ling
sage

#5599681 - 01/01/13 02:00 PM Attachment (132 downloads)

Hi ALL....

Photo 2 shows the new APM ED APO setup ready for the shootout.......

James Ling
sage

#5599702 - 01/01/13 02:14 PM Attachment (111 downloads)

Hi ALL...

Photo 3 shows the shootout is done by using the same eye piece , first over the APM triplet APO, and we viewed at Jupiter and its moons ....

James Ling
sage

#5599708 - 01/01/13 02:15 PM Attachment (100 downloads)

Hi ALL...

Photo 4 shows the same ep is brought over to the new APM ED APO , and we viewed at Jupiter and its moons....

James Ling
sage

#5599754 - 01/01/13 02:44 PM

Hi ALL....

This is the brief comments for this shootout.....which are from my personal opinion......

1. The eye piece used is the Lecia zoom with the special threaded barlow, to give both scopes higher than 300X ......

2. The APM ED APO does not shows any CA.......

3. Both APM ED APO and Triplet APO show Jupiter with clearly defined clouds bands....
Tonight no GRS and shadow of Jupiter's moon...to compare the contrast...

4. APM triplet APO shows Jupiter a very clean disc, while the ED APO is a bit softer...but not noticeable to someone who is not trying to spot the difference...

5. Jupiter's 4 moons from the view of the APM triplet is much more distinct as compared to the APM ED APO....

I hope all those who are keen and interested to acquire this new APM ED APO , should have a better understanding on its performance against the APM triplet....

Regards

James Ling

Edited by James Ling (01/01/13 08:24 PM)

mblack
Throw me a bone here

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: Florida, USA.
      #5599801 - 01/01/13 03:13 PM

Thanks James.

This report is what I would have expected from the triplet, that the APM ED APO 152/1200 lags not further behind in the eyes of two observers, is what I am glad to read.

Truly, had the results been radically different, that would have been cause for concern in one of the two ( triplet or doublet) scopes.

After following closely the development of the APM ED APO 152/1200 here on Cloudynights, and with further evidence from test bench sample and now your field reports James, personally I'm feeling this scope will meet the goals laid out for it originally.

Again, thanks James, appreciate your efforts to relate the performance of this new APM 152/1200. Now I have to wait until sometime in March to enjoy the night sky with this scope, but that's OK.

Live_Steam_Mad
sage

Reged: 07/24/07

Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England
      #5599903 - 01/01/13 04:14 PM

I'd love to hear how the view through an 8" SCT with a very good Star Test and which is well collimated, compares directly with this APM 150 ED APO, with respect to the amount of details visible on Jupiter!

Does anyone in your club / locally have an 8" SCT James?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Mr Onions
Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

Reged: 04/14/07

Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: mblack]
      #5599905 - 01/01/13 04:14 PM

Really enjoying James's thread.
Great read.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Mr Onions]
      #5599923 - 01/01/13 04:30 PM

Thanks for the info James!

James Ling
sage

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Live_Steam_Mad]
      #5600455 - 01/01/13 10:23 PM Attachment (66 downloads)

Quote:

I'd love to hear how the view through an 8" SCT with a very good Star Test and which is well collimated, compares directly with this APM 150 ED APO, with respect to the amount of details visible on Jupiter!

Does anyone in your club / locally have an 8" SCT James?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Alistair G.

I do not have the 8" meade like you, but I do have the ultima 8 GOTO....

If I could not get any of my astronomy friends to do a shoot out between the ED APO against the 8" SCT, I will use mine....

But it will need to wait until weekend, as well as I also need to ensure the scope is well collimated through a star test before the shoot out...

Regards

James Ling

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

#5600792 - 01/02/13 07:25 AM

Quote:

Hi ALL....

This is the brief comments for this shootout.....which are from my personal opinion......

1. The eye piece used is the Lecia zoom with the special threaded barlow, to give both scopes higher than 300X ......

2. The APM ED APO does not shows any CA.......

3. Both APM ED APO and Triplet APO show Jupiter with clearly defined clouds bands....
Tonight no GRS and shadow of Jupiter's moon...to compare the contrast...

4. APM triplet APO shows Jupiter a very clean disc, while the ED APO is a bit softer...but not noticeable to someone who is not trying to spot the difference...

5. Jupiter's 4 moons from the view of the APM triplet is much more distinct as compared to the APM ED APO....

I hope all those who are keen and interested to acquire this new APM ED APO , should have a better understanding on its performance against the APM triplet....

Regards

James Ling

Very nice James. Your comments relative to the new doublet on Jupiter are remarkably similar to my comparisons of my APM 6" F8 triplet to my old AP 152 F9 "blue-tube" Starfire. At focus the differences are subtle and only really noticable in comparison to each other but a couple of us noticed the sharpness of the 4 moons thru the triplet and that the AP was slightly "warm" relative to the APM...not a bad thing for Jupiter. Both scopes showed Jupiter looking astonishingly like a ball that you could look around and a definite front-to-back arrangement to the moons. Very 3D looking.

Jeff

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 new [Re: Mr Onions]
      #5600886 - 01/02/13 09:21 AM

Same here! Many thanks for it.

Quote:

Really enjoying James's thread.
Great read.

Richard Low
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/27/05

Re: APM 152 ED APO #002 [Re: James Ling]
      #5601088 - 01/02/13 11:28 AM

Here is my first impression of the APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet compared with APM 6" f/8 LZOS triplet conducted last night 1 Jan 2013 in Jurong West, Singapore. I would like to extend a note of thanks to our observing buddy James Ling for this opportunity.

It was a quick and casual observation and I will only comment on the optical performance here. We spend about half hour observing time from 11:45pm onwards to observe and compare Jupiter which had culminated at almost zenith, spending a few minutes at a time on one scope and switching over to compare the image in the other scope and vice versa.

We compared using Leica ASPH zoom with Zeiss/Baader Abbe Barlow with 40mm T2 extension tube on both scopes side-by-side, giving a max. magnification of 363x.

Seeing was quite good at 8/10, with occasional moments of calm when the image was sharp and still. We do not have scope cool-down issues here at the tropics.

The APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet performed well optically though at first glance, both of us had already independently observed that there are immediate subtle differences between both scopes.

The image in the APM 6" f/8 LZOS triplet was noticeably slightly sharper at the same magnification, and showing slightly more planetary detail than the APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet. The image in the APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet was slightly softer in comparison. The APM 6" f/8 LZOS triplet was able to hold sharp image at slightly higher magnification than the APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet.

The image in the APM 6" f/8 LZOS triplet was colourless and neutral in tone, with a tiny tinge of red & blue seen at opposing limbs due to atmospheric dispersion. The image in APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet was warmer in tone, and Jupiter seemed to present to me a somewhat not-so-clean image. There was no visible purple fringe like the C6R, however both if us noticed a tiny tinge of red glow is visible around the Galilean moons at >300x. There is also a thin green-colour fringe around the bright Lunar edge at 66x magnification.

The image in the APM 6" f/8 LZOS triplet was noticeably brighter compared to APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet at the same magnification. I was somewhat surprised as I had previously noticed a slightly brighter image in a doublet compared to a triplet. Maybe the difference could be attributed to the difference in star diagonals: the APM 6" f/8 LZOS triplet was using the AP Maxbright diagonal while the APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet was using the APM 99% dielectric diagonal. In hindsight, we should have conducted the test comparison using the same star diagonal so as to eliminate this variable in our comparison.

These are only first impressions based on a quick casual test. These differences seen are subtle and evident only when we do this A-B test comparison side-by-side. Kindly note that our observation of the optical performance of the APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet is based on just this one sample #002 and perhaps may or may not be representative of the final production scope.

I am quite impressed with the overall optical performance of the APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet. I am quite sure that there will be many people, especially those who are value-conscious, who would be satisfied with the optical performance APM 6" f/8 Chinese ED Doublet. For those who are more quality-driven or purist in nature, the APM 6" f/8 LZOS triplet etc would probably be their choice. I am in the latter group and I am happy to stick with my home-built version of the APM 6" f/8 LZOS triplet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22248

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics