Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: Napersky]
      #5619501 - 01/12/13 05:32 PM

Sweet! Lets see a picture of that 6 inch AP out of the box!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Grava T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5619520 - 01/12/13 05:44 PM

Wow Mark! That is one sweet scope! Hope to hear a first light report soon.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: Grava T]
      #5619590 - 01/12/13 06:23 PM

Mark and Darren looks like you boys have nothing but *BLEEP* lick weather going on right now. We have winds and 20° but dry.....and clear tonight. Big deal huh? You puttin' that puppy together inside the garage and take us some pics?? Can't wait for your first impressions! Mike

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
      #5620213 - 01/13/13 06:13 AM

Quote:

This is the best amateur refractor I have looked thru. Now what that does is exclude all large refractors over 6" since 6" is the largest I have been able to use.

Nothwithstanding the aperture limitation this scope presented outstanding views of the disc of Neptune with some detail. I have not seen any reflector, SCT including our Chicago Astronomical Society's 14 MEADE LX200 on a Paramount ME produce views anywhere close to this wonderful scope.

It's long focal length f12 truly makes it a SUPER PLANETARY INTRUSMENT.

Mark

I am not the seller and wish I could buy it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astrophysics-6-f12-Superplanetary-refractor-Losmandy-...

These long triplets are absolutely the best 6" refractors ever built, period. Many years ago, I was at an outing and we were all watching a crescent venus and it smoked a near by AP-160 EDF so bad, after the owner of the EDF refractor got one look through the F12 Superplanetary, he turned his scope on other objects in the sky and acted like the comparison never happened.
I watched the shoemaker levy 9 impact on Jupiter with one of these scopes, and nothing around could match the sharpness and rock solid details the F12 could produce.
One thing no one ever talks about, because few people understand this, is that long tube refractors have a greater depth of focus, and are less affected by wavefront changes caused by atmospheric turbulence. Because of this, long tube refractors are more forgiving to outside conditions and give the most consistency in performance over shorter focal length scopes of the same aperture, regardless if they "claim" to be better corrected.
People can talk in these forums and show you spot diagrams and correction graphs and flood you with mathematics about how more modern shorter focal length scopes "should" give better performance, but in the real world when the rubber hits the road, you wont find a better 6" refractor on planets than a long tube F12 or even F15 triplet.
Congratulation on the purchase!!

...Ralph

rfr66

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5620454 - 01/13/13 10:28 AM

Does the magic of the long focal ratio happen with just refractors or can you experience the same thing with something like an F20 Parallax or Royce telescope, meaning that it will be less subject to the affect of seeing and act more like a smaller aperture with regards to giving a stable image?

rfic1
sage

Reged: 10/25/05

#5620513 - 01/13/13 10:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is the best amateur refractor I have looked thru. Now what that does is exclude all large refractors over 6" since 6" is the largest I have been able to use.

Nothwithstanding the aperture limitation this scope presented outstanding views of the disc of Neptune with some detail. I have not seen any reflector, SCT including our Chicago Astronomical Society's 14 MEADE LX200 on a Paramount ME produce views anywhere close to this wonderful scope.

Mark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astrophysics-6-f12-Superplanetary-refractor-Losmandy-...

These long triplets are absolutely the best 6" refractors ever built, period. Many years ago, I was at an outing and we were all watching a crescent venus and it smoked a near by AP-160 EDF so bad, after the owner of the EDF refractor got one look through the F12 Superplanetary, he turned his scope on other objects in the sky and acted like the comparison never happened.
I watched the shoemaker levy 9 impact on Jupiter with one of these scopes, and nothing around could match the sharpness and rock solid details the F12 could produce.
One thing no one ever talks about, because few people understand this, is that long tube refractors have a greater depth of focus, and are less affected by wavefront changes caused by atmospheric turbulence. Because of this, long tube refractors are more forgiving to outside conditions and give the most consistency in performance over shorter focal length scopes of the same aperture, regardless if they "claim" to be better corrected.
People can talk in these forums and show you spot diagrams and correction graphs and flood you with mathematics about how more modern shorter focal length scopes "should" give better performance, but in the real world when the rubber hits the road, you wont find a better 6" refractor on planets than a long tube F12 or even F15 triplet.

...Ralph

Ralph,
I could not agree more with your assessment. At one time I had 5 high end 5" apochromats. A Takahashi FC125, FS 128, AP 130 f/8.3, 5" f/6 TMB and a 130 f/12 ApoMax. During periods of less favorable seeing the ApoMax always provided the better view. Selling that particular scope was not one of the best equipment decisions I have made.
Bob

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: rfr66]
      #5620521 - 01/13/13 10:58 AM

Quote:

Does the magic of the long focal ratio happen with just refractors or can you experience the same thing with something like an F20 Parallax or Royce telescope, meaning that it will be less subject to the affect of seeing and act more like a smaller aperture with regards to giving a stable image?

I would say no because tube currents often affect a cassegrain more than a refractor, IMHO. Especially because you are probably talking about apertures larger than 6".

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: gillmj24]
      #5620808 - 01/13/13 01:33 PM

In all my years of observing I've never experienced a refractor like image in any other type of scope. Sorry just isn't going to happen and I'm not trying to sell telescopes here. I want a nice long depth of focus with true spot on airy discs whenever seeing permits. Mark you'll have one knockout image I'm sure...topped only by your Zeiss if and when you get it done. Mike

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #5621718 - 01/13/13 09:22 PM

Quote:

These long triplets are absolutely the best 6" refractors ever built, period.

A long focus refractor is unbeatable for visual planetary observation, or double stars, no question. The depth of focus makes all the difference in unsteady conditions.

But I will concur that there was no better 6" refractor for this purpose. Here is a link to Thomas Backs writeup of Astro-Physics telescope history:
http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/tmb/tmb1.html

In his view the later 6" f9 EDT was a step ahead of the Super Planetary.
Nevertheless I think the Super Planetary is a superb instrument at an attractive price, congratulation good catch!

best regards
Chris

Max Lattanzi
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/27/07

Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: rfr66]
      #5622418 - 01/14/13 10:25 AM

Quote:

With a compound f/20 you won't experience anything near the effect of a long-focus refractor, rather the opposite. Indeed, that is not a f/20, rather a f/4 (native f/ratio of the primary mirror) whose swift f/4 defocus gets magnified 5x by the secondary. A totally different animal.

OTOH, if you have, say, a f/11 Newtonian (thinking of the 6" model that was offered by a company in UK) that would give you a similar defocus performance than, say, a nearby 6" f/11 refractor. Image won't be at all identical, as calm, as clear and as pure, but definitely *way* closer than, say, a nearby f/11 SCT (whose primary f/ratio is usually f/2 and whose f/2 defocus gets again magnified 5x by the secondary).

Hope it's clear more than confusing

-- Max

Max Lattanzi
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/27/07

Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: chboss]
      #5622435 - 01/14/13 10:37 AM

Quote:

Here is a link to Thomas Backs writeup of Astro-Physics telescope history:
http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/tmb/tmb1.html

In his view the later 6" f9 EDT was a step ahead of the Super Planetary.

Tom had an early Superplanetary and his experience may not be generalised, mainly with the several variations the SP design had over the years. As far as I understand, Roland did use this scope as a sort of optical laboratory.

May I also add that I have the luck to own what is most probably the last 6" f/12 Superplanetary ever build, whose design, among other things, is different from the one discussed here and whose coatings are EDF/EDT like, and I can totally mimic Ralph experience: a side-by-side with the 6.1" and 6.3" EDF on planets is *striking*. Of course the EDFs are outstanding astrographs, but on hi-res their performances are definitely a step behind their f/12 cousin.

-- Max

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: Max Lattanzi]
      #5622636 - 01/14/13 12:59 PM

I had one of the last 6" f/12 also. It was a 1992 "Starfire" super-planetary 6" f/12
http://www.pbase.com/mclemens1969/ap152_f12

I remember being astounded by how little focus correction was required when using the scope.

Everyone had an easy time seeing great planetary details with that scope.

During the day it had definite green and red color.

The Ardent
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #5622699 - 01/14/13 01:33 PM

Thats the scope I want, simply beacuse its better to LOOK AT, than my 6" f/9.

Quote:

I had one of the last 6" f/12 also. It was a 1992 "Starfire" super-planetary 6" f/12
http://www.pbase.com/mclemens1969/ap152_f12

I remember being astounded by how little focus correction was required when using the scope.

Everyone had an easy time seeing great planetary details with that scope.

During the day it had definite green and red color.

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5622802 - 01/14/13 02:41 PM

Very interesting discussion on scope FL and depth of focus!

You hear a lot of talk about improved contrast in refractors due to the lack of a secondary mirror, but this is the first I've heard about long FL refractors having a performance advantage in poor seeing.

It makes sense! Good stuff.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: Widespread]
      #5622888 - 01/14/13 03:30 PM

I used to take a variety of scopes out to a local nature center for public viewing. With the 6" f/12 it was super easy for newcomers to see all the planetary details as I walked them through the view. People that viewed through my scopes rarely really took a quick liking to that scope.

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/10

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: Grava T]
      #5622893 - 01/14/13 03:32 PM

Quote:

Wow Mark! That is one sweet scope! Hope to hear a first light report soon.

Michael,

First Light was not worth reporting. Bad seeing...

Mark

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5622895 - 01/14/13 03:34 PM

Quote:

Mark and Darren looks like you boys have nothing but *BLEEP* lick weather going on right now. We have winds and 20° but dry.....and clear tonight. Big deal huh? You puttin' that puppy together inside the garage and take us some pics?? Can't wait for your first impressions! Mike

Mikey...Weather and Seeing totally Bleeping.

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

#5622900 - 01/14/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

...Ralph

Ralph, You and I are completely on the same page! Thanks.

Mark

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

#5622912 - 01/14/13 03:41 PM

Max,

Always good to hear from You!

Mark

By the way the name Mark is also "Marcus" which can also be "Max"..Like Max Planck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Planck

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: AP 6" Superplanetary on AstroMart new [Re: Max Lattanzi]
      #5623762 - 01/15/13 02:05 AM

Quote:

Tom had an early Superplanetary and his experience may not be generalised, mainly with the several variations the SP design had over the years. As far as I understand, Roland did use this scope as a sort of optical laboratory.

May I also add that I have the luck to own what is most probably the last 6" f/12 Superplanetary ever build, whose design, among other things, is different from the one discussed here and whose coatings are EDF/EDT like, and I can totally mimic Ralph experience: a side-by-side with the 6.1" and 6.3" EDF on planets is *striking*. Of course the EDFs are outstanding astrographs, but on hi-res their performances are definitely a step behind their f/12 cousin.

-- Max

Hi Max

Interesting information, so how long and how many versions of the Super Planetary were built?

Did you have the chance to compare your Super Planetary to a 6" f9 EDT T. Back mentions in his text?
I would be interested how big the visual difference is between an f9 and f12 telescope.

best regards
Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9180

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics