Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Storing Scope in Garage new [Re: GeneT]
      #5647620 - 01/28/13 09:06 AM

I have two Obsessions I that I store in the garage year round, one is six yeras old, the other is 8-years old. both scopes, mirrors and structures, are in great condition. Such telescopes are really pretty robust. I suppose it depends on the telescope. If it has a lot of particle board in it, you'd sure want to make sure that your garage is well sealed against moisture, and maybe has decent ventilation. Really isn't much different than storing it in an observatory.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Storing Scope in Garage new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5647947 - 01/28/13 11:55 AM

Quote:

I store my stuff in a shed.

Jim,
That is a wonderful looking storage facility but I assumed you might have had a 2nd shed just for your eyepieces.

Eric

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

Re: Storing Scope in Garage new [Re: GeneT]
      #5649504 - 01/28/13 11:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My take on this..... I used to keep my 127ED setup in my garage but I always worried about the heat.

Most people store their telescopes in the garage. I live in San Antonio, and the temperatures get quite high--especially in the garage. I store my 12.5 inch Portaball on my side of the closet in the house. I also keep all my eyepieces and related equipment in the house. In my opinion, one avoids a host of problems keeping the telescope and important accessories in the house.

Many spouses aren't keen on this idea, or would 'veto' such an idea. Mine does not mind since everything is on my side of the closet. I bought an 18 inch Ultra Compact. My wife agreed to let me build a three sided faux cabinets. It would have a top and three sides, and rest on rollers. I would put the telescope in the family room, with the false cabinet rolled over and around the telescope. When company arrived, all they saw was the cabinet. (I don't know what is wrong with a telescope sitting in a family or living room--but most of us won't win that one. ) Just before I had the cabinets made, I sold the 18 UC and now only view with my 12.5 inch Portaball, which is on my side of the closet.

Your telescope should hold up OK in the garage. However, if you could, I would recommend inside the house.

You're lucky. My side of the closet is the door knob.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Storing Scope in Garage new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5650600 - 01/29/13 03:36 PM

Most chemicals are not going to be an issue because they are generally not corrosive to metals.

There is one though, and while not commonly found in garages, I know that some people do indeed use it. It is muriatic Acid. Some people use it to clean concrete garage floors.

Nasty stuff, and it will indeed corrode many metals (and of course lens coatings are metal).

And even if it is capped, the changes in air pressure can cause fumes to esacpe.

I know this from experience. Lots of badly rusted and leaking cans after being around a bottle of Muriatic Acid for a couple of years.

So, it you keep it in your garage, I would find a better (more ventilated) space to keep the stuff whether you keep the telescope in there ir not.

I has various cans leeking various products on to the floor becuase the acid fumes apparently had eaten though the metal.

Bad stuff. Ok I love to clean concrete with it, but I don't keep it in my shed anymore....

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1939

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics