Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Stellarvue "Planet Killer" Limited new [Re: dakota]
      #5679165 - 02/14/13 10:55 AM

"Personnally I don't care if the focuser was made in Auburn, in China or at the Willie Wonka Chocolate Factory."

That's wonderful. However, when a manufacturer misdirects the buying public with respect to facts that do matter to some buyers (Made in America versus Made in China or custom built in small batches by craftsmen rather than mass-produced by automation, for example), that manufacture competes unfairly with other manufacturers who sell similar scopes with similar origins but do not use innuendo to imply things about the nature and origin of their scopes that are untrue. If you were someone who chose a Stellarvue over an APM or Astro-Tech scope, for example, because you were lead to believe that the scopes were hand made in small batches using optics and focusers made here in the US, and paid a small premium for that scope on the basis of that belief, you might not be so magnanimous, even if the scope were a good one, should you later discover that one of the prime reasons you chose the SV scope and to pay the higher price was factually baseless.

Me? If that happened to me I would be scratching my head asking myself how it was that I came to hold a false belief about my scope, who lead me astray and how did they do it? I have a hard time buying (even good stuff) from sources that aren't 100% crystal clear, factual, precise and direct in their claims and communications about their products. But that's just me. I'm not a member of P.T. Barnum's target audience, I guess.

- Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: Stellarvue "Planet Killer" Limited new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5679168 - 02/14/13 10:56 AM

Jim,
I made a reference to the Ed Ting review about one of the early SV 80mm scopes being stopped down and Vic's testing of scopes. Apparently I shouldn't have... Ironically that review has been mentioned a few times in this forum. I stand by what I said then and what I said in an earlier post today. Picking a scope is an individual choice. Value is an individual choice.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Stellarvue "Planet Killer" Limited new [Re: Daud]
      #5679182 - 02/14/13 11:01 AM

I don't think Vic at Stellarvue has a monopoly on puffery and hyperbole in marketing claims. Note, however, that nothing in APM's statement claims that the focusers are made in the US or Germany. I would like to see that SV forum posts mentioned by the other CNer where Vic supposedly claimed that he was making these focusers in-house, in Auburn. I strongly suspect that when we read the actual statements in that post, they will be slippery as a buttered eel held with chopsticks. Auburn, California, bred eel, churned butter and manufactured chopsticks, of course.

- Jim

Jim7728
Postmaster

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC
      #5679244 - 02/14/13 11:28 AM

Found this post and from what I read quickly say's it's a Long Perng focuser.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Stellarvue/message/124430

Nothing wrong with the SV achro offering as you get what you pay for, imo.

dakota
sage

Reged: 12/11/11

Loc: SD (God's Country)
Re: Stellarvue "Planet Killer" Limited *DELETED* new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5679274 - 02/14/13 11:43 AM

Post deleted by KWB

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Stellarvue "Planet Killer" Limited new [Re: Jim7728]
      #5679441 - 02/14/13 01:12 PM

Jim I may have to eat my words on the focuser issue. The original announcement was in a SV AllStars bulletin. In the original notice he does not claim in house production. Vic does not say where the focuser is produced but you can infer that it is made in China. I think later he announced that a new CNC machine had been purchased, and that production had been moved in house. But like I said I may be wrong. I will look for that announcement on in house production for another 24 hours.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

#5679456 - 02/14/13 01:19 PM

As Jim stated, the focusers are imports, they are perfectly good for the job in hand, one would assume if a Made In USA focuser was wanted then you could upgrade to the Feather Touch,Stellarvue scopes in general are a mix of domestic and imported parts, some assembly is done in the USA, with the very high end expensive instruments you get more domestic parts than the cheaper scopes, the now discontinued ED70 was 100% imported, DA.

KWB
Postmaster

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet
Re: Stellarvue "Planet Killer" Limited new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5679484 - 02/14/13 01:31 PM

This thread is now being returned for our enlightenment and the respectful exchange of ideas.

A reminder here is to play nice and to be respectful as to the opinion of others,whether agreed upon or not,needs to prevail. Sound fair? Disrespectful posts or name calling will be removed at once without warning. The original topic about this new acro refractor is most interesting and it's hoped here we will venture back down that path.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: Stellarvue "Planet Killer" Limited new [Re: Jim7728]
      #5679902 - 02/14/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Stellarvue/message/124430

To bad about the dew sheild on the SV version. The 10" long retractable one on my Astro Telescope version (that has a very competent 2" crayford on it, no idea who made it ) is really nice in a climate like mine, where there is a lot of dewing.

Edited by moynihan (02/14/13 05:10 PM)

Scott in NCModerator
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Stellarvue "Planet Killer" Limited new [Re: KWB]
      #5680028 - 02/14/13 06:28 PM

Guys, one last plea from the moderator team to "play nice," cut out the personal attacks, and please get back to the original topic (i.e., discussing the new SV 102mm f/11 scope). There is a lot of good information being discussed here, and it would be a pity if this thread ended up getting locked. Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
41 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4995

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics