Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Refractor Anti Reflection Coating longevity. new [Re: Plane_Guru]
      #5699593 - 02/25/13 10:29 AM

I've seen few Televue refractors, including recent vintage units, on which you could see at least a bubble or two and/or the seam in the tube flocking material. Most never come loose, but some do. On Astromart you will see pictures from time to time of Televue objectives with the corner of the flocking material drooping into the tube. It happens.

That said, it shouldn't be a big deal as Televue will repair the issue in the unlikely event that that it arises. It's a risk (decontacted flocking) assumed to achieve the tube diameter goals (smaller due to the lack of knife edge baffles). In all things there are tradeoffs. Talahashi paint, for example, is beautiful but thin and fragile as a coating of toothpaste. Televue tube paint is bombproof by comparison. In all things there are tradeoffs. No one is charging enough for any of these scopes to be able to deliver perfection in every case. That's why we have warranties.

Regards,

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
teelgul
sage

Reged: 09/02/11

Loc: Australia
Re: Refractor Anti Reflection Coating longevity. new [Re: Plane_Guru]
      #5699817 - 02/25/13 12:57 PM

Hello guru
Just make sure about warranty in case .I did not get worried much about the issue And got upset only when televue initially advised me that it was due to humidity and not normally warrantied .

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
Re: Refractor Anti Reflection Coating longevity. new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5700165 - 02/25/13 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Most windex products do contain ammonia.

From Windex website:

All but two Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners contain detergents, solvents, fragrance, Ammonia-D®, and alcohol. They should not be used if ammonia is not recommended for use on surface. (Windex® Multi-Surface Vinegar and Windex® Outdoor Multi-Surface do not contain ammonia. They are safe to use in these cases.)

MSDS on Windex Ammonia D : http://www.btps.ca/files/PDF/MSDS/Windex_Ammonia-D.pdf

Notice there is no mention of "ammonia" in the ingrediants. MSDS are not required to list any component in which there is less than 1% of a hazardous component in the mixture. Ammonia is in there, it's just not a required listing in the MSDS.

Do you have a source for confirming that there is actually ammonia in there? From what I recall, Ammonia-D is not actually ammonia but marketingspeak for some other chemical.

Tanveer

Hi Tanveer, the quote above is directly from Windex's website regarding ammonia in their products. As you see they say specifically, except for two products, all their glass cleaners contain ammonia.

Here are all the ingredients in Windex with Ammonia D:
http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-brand/windex-1/windex-w...

And the contents of original Windex (the stuff often recommended here):
http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-brand/windex-1/windex-o...

Ammonium Hydroxide is listed in both.

I used the MSDS from Ammonia-D as an example that some ingredients are not listed on the MSDS even though they are in there. Ammonia-D is a trademarked marketing name and it is a 28% solution of ammonia present at .05% in their cleaners. Since it is only at .05% it is not required to be listed on the MSDS. You can gleen this information from the Windex website (http://www.windex.com/en-US/Pages/Faq.aspx ), and how to read an MSDS (many sites, this just happened to come up first on a google search http://www.ehso.com/msds_regulations.php )

Thanks, this is interesting reading. However, with a pH of 10.4, I don't think that Windex is going to strip any fluoride coatings off any time soon.

Tanveer.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Refractor Anti Reflection Coating longevity. new [Re: TG]
      #5700230 - 02/25/13 04:52 PM

I completely agree with you. I have used Windex, along with other products (ROR, isopropyl alcohol and acetone) for years and will continue to do so.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2044

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics