Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5767147 - 03/30/13 04:47 PM

Hi Tom, the 'foamie' dew shield is 10" long, but once you put it on and adjust it, it can be up to 8" long. Remember the plastic dew shield is not a perfect cylinder, it flares larger so if you make one, consider that issue. Thats why I like the foamies; they stretch.
Regards,
bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5767846 - 03/30/13 11:14 PM

I use a finderscope mounted up near the top of the scope because it is more ergonomic. It can be tough to look through straight through finders mounted at the bottom of the scope.

I chose to pain flat black on the inside of the dew shield with improved but lacking improvement. Sort of moot since I made the posterboard shield, but want flexibility for different situations.

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/04

Loc: Deer Valley, AZ
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5768188 - 03/31/13 08:10 AM

Had first light this AM using the OTA on a Porta II/HAL-130 on VSP using a 1.25" diagonal and EP.

The scope gives pleasant views with some color as expected.

The short dovetail bar is enough to balance things as long as you use lightweight 1.25" EP such as standard Plossls. Heavier 1.25" EP need extra weight added to the front of the OTA.

A set of 4" tube rings and a longer dovetail bar have become priority items for me.

Tom

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Pimping your 102mm OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6037336 - 08/20/13 09:35 PM

Quote:

Like most of your I guess we like messin' with $59 OTAs, especially when the skies haven't been clear for what seems like months. Many of us bought the 'special' deal 102mm f/9.8
from OPT. What are you doing to yours to 'improve' it?
I'll start.

1. Remove with Synta Grease and replace with Pete's Red grease. I used Naptha. Is there anything better?

2. Remove short dovetail. Surprise, paint wasn't cured and two lines appear in finish from pressure of dovetail.

3. Insert 1/8" black hole plugs into dovetail holes. (plugs are on their way; not here yet.)

4. Replace metal focuser ring screws with black nylon ones so as to not mar accessories. M4's if I remember correctly.

5. Install flocking on dew shield.

6. Buy black 'foamies' from Jo-annes and make a longer dew shield.

7. Use a red dot finder b/c if I can't see it in that, its not going to be useful since I'm in a whiter than white zone. My light pollution laughs at your light pollution!

8. Rings and a long dovetail. Have to balance this thing!

9. Find some big honkin' jars/cans with plastic lids to fit and make aperature masks to test CA/detail reduction vs. apo or fringe filters on bright objects.

I think that someone somewhere here bought teflon and replaced the focuser gliders, but can't remember that...a little help here. Perhaps on a ST80 thread...

I would love a new focuser, but I don't think it would improve any visual qualities? Or?

Can you take the objective out of its cell and are the edges blackened?

Regards,
Bob

With all the additional OTAs that have been purchased with this second round of $59 + shipping pricing, I thought I'd renew this thread.
I actually sold my original 102mm but have missed it so much, I just bought another, and it should be here on Friday.
Thanks to another poster, Jarrod, I also bought the AR102 ring assembly from Explore Scientific today. Much superior rings/dovetail/handle than what I had before. I now have to make my foamie dew shield and the other things above....
Bob

Edited by spongebob@55 (08/20/13 09:40 PM)

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6038056 - 08/21/13 10:35 AM

Quote:

and here's a picture of the 1/8" plastic hole plugs plugging the dovetail bolt holes.

Bob, thanks for reviving the thread. Where did you get your plastic plugs?

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: dpippel]
      #6038084 - 08/21/13 10:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

and here's a picture of the 1/8" plastic hole plugs plugging the dovetail bolt holes.

Hi, Got them at Lowes. They're in the fastener aisle, in one of the specialty fastener pull out drawers. I've used them in many of the tube overhauls....
Glad to help.
Bob

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6038091 - 08/21/13 10:51 AM

Thanks man! Looks like I'll be making a stop this weekend.

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: dpippel]
      #6038347 - 08/21/13 01:20 PM

I should get some of those plugs too. I just put the screws back in, but I don't know if they are causing any optical problems. Better safe than sorry.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #6038457 - 08/21/13 02:30 PM

I will do nothing to OTA#1!!! I had a really good first light last night on the day of delivery. I was actually impressed by what I saw! I did outfit it with accessories I already had from years ago consisting of rings, 6x30RA finder and a 1.25" dielectric. Still quite light in weight and it worked very well on my old EQ3/CG4 mount. OTA#2 will be checked out tonight if the weather holds...hoping for a repeat of what I saw last night!!!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #6038976 - 08/21/13 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Buy black 'foamies' from Jo-annes and make a longer dew shield"

What exactly are these? Good for dewshields eh?

They are 2 or 3mm thick foam sheets that come in all colors, black being the one of choice. I buy the 3mm ones and have made dew sheilds for my CPC1100, my C14 and now my 102GT by gluing them together and then velcroing a strip. I just wrap it around the scope, join the velcro and it stays on the end of the OTA. The foamies aren't super stiff, but they're stiff enough to hold a round shape. Especially true on a 102mm scope. You can also roll it up for easy storage. They cost about 1-2 bucks each, depending on the thickness and if you have a coupon from JoAnnes'
You can also use them to line storage boxes or shapes that touch your telescope so as to not scratch the OTA, etc.
bob

I've made umpteen dew/light shields from these foam sheets for my scopes and binos. Best and easiest DIY project ... and cheap! To get fancy and improve the baffling properties, I line the inside with ProtoStar.

Mike

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6039165 - 08/21/13 09:06 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

The orange ring on the dew shield was annoying me so I unscrewed the dew shield, removed the ring and covered it with a thin black electrical tape. I trimmed the tape with a sharp knife so that it just covered the sides of the ring. It took just a few minutes. Now it doesn't look as like a toy as much.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: PeterR280]
      #6039228 - 08/21/13 09:47 PM

Quote:

The orange ring on the dew shield was annoying me so I unscrewed the dew shield, removed the ring and covered it with a thin black electrical tape. I trimmed the tape with a sharp knife so that it just covered the sides of the ring. It took just a few minutes. Now it doesn't look as like a toy as much.

I like that idea! I feel the same about that plastic orange ring. So you just grab the dew shield and twist it off? And is the ring just in between and comes off? Perhaps it could be painted too and then just re-installed? Maybe silver to match the knobs or black like you did.... Thanks for the picture!
Bob

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

#6039241 - 08/21/13 09:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi, Got them on Ebay. I've used them in many of the tube overhauls....Lowes has the bigger ones, but not 1/8"
Glad to help.
Bob

CORRECTION: I BOUGHT THESE ON EBAY. LOWES DOESN'T HAVE THEM IN 1/8". Just search '1/8" hole plugs' and they'll come up in black, in plastic and metal. I bought the plastic ones.
Sorry about that.
Bob

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/13

#6039311 - 08/21/13 10:45 PM

the front of the dew shield just twists right off and the orange ring is just sitting there loose. I was thinking of painting it but the tape was easier and cleaner. One of the things you could do is to paint the ring a color you like to customize the telescope.

gunfighter48
sage

Reged: 03/18/13

Loc: Mill Creek, Washington
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: PeterR280]
      #6039424 - 08/22/13 12:45 AM

When I got my first C102GT I replaced the focuser with a GSO Dual Speed focuser. I also bought a 11" dovetail and 4" rings for the scope. Balancing even with heavy 2" eyepieces is not a problem now. I just put black electrical tape over the holes from the original dovetail. I just bought my 2nd C102GT. at $60 + $15 shipping it was just too good to pass up. The sale on them is supposed to end on Aug. 25th.

I was out last night with the scope looking at the moon and trying out new eyepieces and the focuser is just great. I was using a ES 1.2" barlow and at very high power, the dual speed focuser made precise focusing a pleasure. The scope did excellent even with a ES 6.7mm eyepiece. The ES 11mm eyepiece did very well with the ES barlow.

My next project is to get some of the black foam and make a longer dew shield.

Edited by gunfighter48 (08/22/13 12:46 AM)

audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: gunfighter48]
      #6039589 - 08/22/13 04:53 AM

Now they're selling 'em at half price

Great deal!

Ed Holland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: audioaficionado]
      #6039870 - 08/22/13 10:37 AM

No plans for the scope yet, bit I spent a bit of time on a mod for my EQ2 mount to enable it to carry the 102. Presently it has a bolt on tube clamp for the 4.5" Newtonian that it came with. I'm part way through completion of a DIY saddle, so that it can do grab and go duties with other scopes especially whilst my LXD 75 is awaiting repair parts

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Ed Holland]
      #6040044 - 08/22/13 12:30 PM

Has anyone removed the original short dovetail from the C102GT and attached a longer dovetail directly to the OTA? I think I'd rather do that than order new rings. I had a Celestron 4" f/9.8 achro before that had rings. They always seemed like overkill for that scope. On the other hand, a refractor in rings would be more adjustable for balancing than one with an attached dovetail, even a long dovetail.

Mike

pdxmoon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6040046 - 08/22/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

Has anyone removed the original short dovetail from the C102GT and attached a longer dovetail directly to the OTA? I think I'd rather do that than order new rings. I had a Celestron 4" f/9.8 achro before that had rings. They always seemed like overkill for that scope. On the other hand, a refractor in rings would be more adjustable for balancing than one with an attached dovetail, even a long dovetail.

Mike

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
      #6040147 - 08/22/13 01:27 PM

Quote:

Quick question: What is the advantage of using these vs. just putting the screws back in? If I'm seeing this correctly, they still stand proud of the OTA and would prevent you from sliding that section of the tube past the rings.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12123

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics