Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
labmand
sage
*****

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6040238 - 08/22/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Has anyone removed the original short dovetail from the C102GT and attached a longer dovetail directly to the OTA? I think I'd rather do that than order new rings. I had a Celestron 4" f/9.8 achro before that had rings. They always seemed like overkill for that scope. On the other hand, a refractor in rings would be more adjustable for balancing than one with an attached dovetail, even a long dovetail.

Mike




Yes I did, Had a dovetail on hand and didn't want to wait
for the rings, and besides, Just didn't feel right paying almost as much for rings as I paid for the scope deleivered.
Placed new dovetail 90 degrees CW from orig. point
at the balance point so the focuser is in a better position.
Worked quite well on the LXD75. Hey if I would have messed it up I could have ordered another


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6040239 - 08/22/13 02:17 PM

Quote:

CORRECTION: I BOUGHT THESE ON EBAY. LOWES DOESN'T HAVE THEM IN 1/8". Just search '1/8" hole plugs' and they'll come up in black, in plastic and metal. I bought the plastic ones.
Sorry about that.
Bob




No worries! Found 'em and ordered 'em. $3.26 shipped for eight pieces and it saved me a trip to Lowe's.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Jarrod]
      #6040256 - 08/22/13 02:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and here's a picture of the 1/8" plastic hole plugs plugging the dovetail bolt holes.




Quick question: What is the advantage of using these vs. just putting the screws back in? If I'm seeing this correctly, they still stand proud of the OTA and would prevent you from sliding that section of the tube past the rings.




I just cover little holes like that with black or white plastic tape, depending on OTA color.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Jarrod]
      #6040263 - 08/22/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and here's a picture of the 1/8" plastic hole plugs plugging the dovetail bolt holes.




Quick question: What is the advantage of using these vs. just putting the screws back in? If I'm seeing this correctly, they still stand proud of the OTA and would prevent you from sliding that section of the tube past the rings.




Hi Jarrod,
The plastic plug do stand just a tiny bit proud, but no where near the height of the round head screws. I had synta rings on a dovetail, and I used anywhere from very light 1.25" EPs to the glass gernade that is the ES 40mm 82* on a EQ-G GEM mount. When I would move the telescope around, it was much easier to slightly loosen one ring which would be able to slip over or past the plastic plug. It wouldn't be able to do that with the screw head since its so big. And the plastic becomes almost invisible from an aesthetic POV, instead of a phillips hole lookin' at you. But no doubt, you can just re insert the screws. If it works for your set up, then fine. If not, then step #2 would be the plugs.
Regards
Bob


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: labmand]
      #6040272 - 08/22/13 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Has anyone removed the original short dovetail from the C102GT and attached a longer dovetail directly to the OTA? I think I'd rather do that than order new rings. I had a Celestron 4" f/9.8 achro before that had rings. They always seemed like overkill for that scope. On the other hand, a refractor in rings would be more adjustable for balancing than one with an attached dovetail, even a long dovetail.

Mike




Yes I did, Had a dovetail on hand and didn't want to wait
for the rings, and besides, Just didn't feel right paying almost as much for rings as I paid for the scope deleivered.
Placed new dovetail 90 degrees CW from orig. point
at the balance point so the focuser is in a better position.
Worked quite well on the LXD75. Hey if I would have messed it up I could have ordered another




Did you use sheet metal/self tapping screws, or a machine screw and nut combination?
Is there any concern about not getting it on the tube perfectly parallel?
Regards,
Bob


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6040299 - 08/22/13 02:58 PM

How about doing something with those plastic knobs?
Maybe bigger ones either aluminum or home made so that its easier for finer focus?
Maybe brass fasteners? (really pimpy) Could color match to the ring in the dew shield...(really, really pimpy)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PeterR280
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6040330 - 08/22/13 03:17 PM

The knobs are aluminum.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jarrod
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6040476 - 08/22/13 05:09 PM

Quote:

The plastic plug do stand just a tiny bit proud, but no where near the height of the round head screws. I had synta rings on a dovetail, and I used anywhere from very light 1.25" EPs to the glass gernade that is the ES 40mm 82* on a EQ-G GEM mount. When I would move the telescope around, it was much easier to slightly loosen one ring which would be able to slip over or past the plastic plug. It wouldn't be able to do that with the screw head since its so big. And the plastic becomes almost invisible from an aesthetic POV, instead of a phillips hole lookin' at you. But no doubt, you can just re insert the screws. If it works for your set up, then fine. If not, then step #2 would be the plugs.




Bob - Makes sense. They do look much nicer. I have my rings clamped to the OTA at a position where I can balance the dec axis with my smallest (ES82 4.7mm) and largest (Meade 5k 30mm UWA) EPs by only sliding the dovetail up and down the saddle. It uses most of the length of the 8" dovetail to do this. Not sure if that is considered "best practice" or not, but that's what I've done for now.

Edited by Jarrod (08/22/13 05:11 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
labmand
sage
*****

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6040907 - 08/22/13 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Has anyone removed the original short dovetail from the C102GT and attached a longer dovetail directly to the OTA? I think I'd rather do that than order new rings. I had a Celestron 4" f/9.8 achro before that had rings. They always seemed like overkill for that scope. On the other hand, a refractor in rings would be more adjustable for balancing than one with an attached dovetail, even a long dovetail.

Mike




Yes I did, Had a dovetail on hand and didn't want to wait
for the rings, and besides, Just didn't feel right paying almost as much for rings as I paid for the scope deleivered.
Placed new dovetail 90 degrees CW from orig. point
at the balance point so the focuser is in a better position.
Worked quite well on the LXD75. Hey if I would have messed it up I could have ordered another




Did you use sheet metal/self tapping screws, or a machine screw and nut combination?
Is there any concern about not getting it on the tube perfectly parallel?
Regards,
Bob




I used self tapping screws, I rarely do anything
perfectly just did the best I could to line
it up, seems to work fine.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed Holland
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: labmand]
      #6042840 - 08/24/13 01:45 AM

I got a little busy today making my 102 more functional. The home made dovetail plate/adapter for the EQ2 was completed. I then set about the scope. I had a dovetail of unknown rigin that came with an accessory mount that was on my C8. With a litte ingenuity, I made up some radius blocks, invested in some 5" hose clamps and with a little protective gasket paper I had a proper dovetail in a proper place on the telescope. The short dovetail is still in place until I can get some of the plugs mentioned earlier in the thread. All seems solid & steady enough, and it worked well during tonight's early observing - I was worried about achieving balance, but the tube is very similar in weight to the 4.5" Newtonian. Need to scare up a dovetail for that now, probably more DIY to come .

The only thing that does need attention is a small modification to my finderscope. It's (home made) design means it won't fit into the shoe on the focuser of the C102 without a spacer - Simples!

Oh and I cleaned, relubed and adjusted the focuser - it's really pretty good in my opinion, especially after a little TLC. Nor is a 1000mm focal length, f/10 too demanding in this department.

Great little telescope that is now setup as a perfect grab and go

Ed


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
REC
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Ed Holland]
      #6043161 - 08/24/13 08:38 AM

Ed, did you replace the lube or just add to it? I have some White Lithium Grease I could use if it will make it a tighter, smoother operation?

Bob


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: REC]
      #6043217 - 08/24/13 09:23 AM

From what I've read & also IME, pure silicon is probably the best lube for focusers. IIRC, there was some talk about white lithium grease possibly degrading over time (?). In any case, pure silicon oil is easy to obtain at a hobby store. I use Diff Oil Pure Silicon #3000. Super Lube is also good.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6043320 - 08/24/13 10:37 AM

I got mine yesterday afternoon. Surprised to see a tightening mark on the dovetail! Used? or tested? And the box only had styrofoam on one end of the inner box. But no damage.
When you touch the OTA, you get finger smudges all over it, like there's some super light oil on it.....anyone else notice that?
The dew shield had unscrewed a bit from shipping, but no problem and the objective looks fine.
I used the black tape over the orange ring suggestion by PeterR280 above and it certainly does look better. Replaced all the metal screws with black nylon. Took off the mini dovetail and had two very distinct lines in the paint...much more than my first one that you could barely see the mount lines..."Hey Celestron, why don't you wait until the paint cures a little!"
Can't wait to test it out. I ordered the 102 Explore Scientific rings/handle/dovetail for $44. Can't beat that over the cost of just rings. Love that handle for ease of mounting on my EQ-G.
Regards,
Bob

Edited by spongebob@55 (08/24/13 10:39 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
audioaficionado
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 05/24/12

Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6043500 - 08/24/13 12:21 PM

Quote:

From what I've read & also IME, pure silicon is probably the best lube for focusers. IIRC, there was some talk about white lithium grease possibly degrading over time (?). In any case, pure silicon oil is easy to obtain at a hobby store. I use Diff Oil Pure Silicon #3000. Super Lube is also good.

Mike



Vacuum grade stopcock grease is expensive but lasts almost forever.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed Holland
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6043521 - 08/24/13 12:31 PM

I cleaned all the original grease out with mineral spirit and lubricated with molybdenum disulphide graphite engine assembly lube, but any decent grease will do.. use what you have. I'm not a fan of silicone lubricants as they can creep and are very difficult to clean up, but that is just personal preference. Also I prefer the feel of petroleum based greases, each to their own. If drying out ever becomes a problem, overhauling the focuser is easier than reworking my bicycle's wheel bearings

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PeterR280
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: Ed Holland]
      #6043575 - 08/24/13 12:59 PM

I like the Radio Shack lube gel. I bought a tube some years back and still have it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mg73
member
*****

Reged: 05/13/11

Loc: Boston
cg4 mounting question new [Re: PeterR280]
      #6052719 - 08/29/13 02:46 PM

My 102gt is in the mail. I'm putting in on a cg4 mount that's also coming in he mail. I need rings and a dovetail. I'm new to refractors, dovetails and the cg4 mount. I understand that the rings will attach to the dovetail, and the dovetail to the cg4. Are the standard screws for the ring/dovetail and the dovetail/cg4? Or do I have to worry about different screws and threads for these attachment points? I'd like to get info so I know which dovetail and rings will mate.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: mg73]
      #6052758 - 08/29/13 03:05 PM

Quote:

My 102gt is in the mail. I'm putting in on a cg4 mount that's also coming in he mail. I need rings and a dovetail. I'm new to refractors, dovetails and the cg4 mount. I understand that the rings will attach to the dovetail, and the dovetail to the cg4. Are the standard screws for the ring/dovetail and the dovetail/cg4? Or do I have to worry about different screws and threads for these attachment points? I'd like to get info so I know which dovetail and rings will mate.




I got my rings and dovetail from Orion. They had a short dovetail and a long one. They were the same price so I got the long one. Now I am really glad I did. The CM (center of mass) changes drastically when you turn the focus knob, change eyepieces, etc. Having more room to slide the scope in the CG-4's saddle mount is nice.

Screws come with the stuff from Orion although they stick out which means the dovetail cannot be slid into the saddle. You have to open the saddle enough to place the dovetail's mid section into it. Then you have plenty of room to slide it back and forth.

btw - please don't change the subject of an ongoing thread. I get an email telling me "the thread you have selected as one of your favorites (has a new post)" and I have no idea what is going on.

These worked for me on my CG-4 mount and I didn't need any additional hardware.

Rings (select 100mm)

Dovetail (select 13 inch)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6052965 - 08/29/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

I got mine yesterday afternoon. Surprised to see a tightening mark on the dovetail! Used? or tested? And the box only had styrofoam on one end of the inner box. But no damage.
When you touch the OTA, you get finger smudges all over it, like there's some super light oil on it.....anyone else notice that?
The dew shield had unscrewed a bit from shipping, but no problem and the objective looks fine.
I used the black tape over the orange ring suggestion by PeterR280 above and it certainly does look better. Replaced all the metal screws with black nylon. Took off the mini dovetail and had two very distinct lines in the paint...much more than my first one that you could barely see the mount lines..."Hey Celestron, why don't you wait until the paint cures a little!"
Can't wait to test it out. I ordered the 102 Explore Scientific rings/handle/dovetail for $44. Can't beat that over the cost of just rings. Love that handle for ease of mounting on my EQ-G.


Well the rings are here and I added the shoe for the 70 'super finder' to the handle. Very high quality, although i did add another layer of black felt....the white would get too dirty imo.
So I don't know if I'll go with just the 70mm, or also add the finder, but I think I'll add a diagonal and illuminated EP to the 70mm and be done with it.
Now its time for some clear skies....
Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Pimping your 102mm gt OTA.. Like what? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6052977 - 08/29/13 05:10 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

I got mine yesterday afternoon. Surprised to see a tightening mark on the dovetail! Used? or tested? And the box only had styrofoam on one end of the inner box. But no damage.
When you touch the OTA, you get finger smudges all over it, like there's some super light oil on it.....anyone else notice that?
The dew shield had unscrewed a bit from shipping, but no problem and the objective looks fine.
I used the black tape over the orange ring suggestion by PeterR280 above and it certainly does look better. Replaced all the metal screws with black nylon. Took off the mini dovetail and had two very distinct lines in the paint...much more than my first one that you could barely see the mount lines..."Hey Celestron, why don't you wait until the paint cures a little!"
Can't wait to test it out. I ordered the 102 Explore Scientific rings/handle/dovetail for $44. Can't beat that over the cost of just rings. Love that handle for ease of mounting on my EQ-G.


Well the rings are here and I added the shoe for the 70 'super finder' to the handle. Very high quality, although i did add another layer of black felt....the white would get too dirty imo.
So I don't know if I'll go with just the 70mm, or also add the finder, but I think I'll add a diagonal and illuminated EP to the 70mm and be done with it.
Now its time for some clear skies....
Bob




Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)


Extra information
33 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 12178

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics