Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: stevenwav]
      #5817926 - 04/23/13 04:33 PM

Quote:

I am leaning towards finding an old AP900 QMD. The cost is reasonable and I like the fact that it's still pretty portable.

That's what I would do. There will probably be some coming up for sale, including GTOs, when the 1100 starts shipping.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rfic1
sage

Reged: 10/25/05

Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: Paul G]
      #5817940 - 04/23/13 04:40 PM

Hi Steve,
Congrats! The other less expensive option would be a older AP 800 mount but agree that a AP900 would be a excellent choice.

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: TG]
      #5817985 - 04/23/13 05:03 PM

According to a previous owner, the 6" f/12 Superplanetary OTA weighs a whole 18 pounds. That sounds about right to me. My scope weighs 23 pounds, and while it has less tube it has a much heavier cell and focuser than those old scopes. So I think my estimate was pretty good.

As I said, different people have different tolerances. You are satisfied with the performance you're getting, and that's great. I wouldn't be.

Ziggy943
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/11/06

Loc: Utah
      #5818548 - 04/23/13 08:01 PM

Quote:

Yes Mike! I was told it was your scope and I was very happy to hear that. I saw your pictures online before I found out it that this particular scope was yours. It is in terrific condition and I am very psyched to use it.
As for the mount question, I was thinking I might be able to pick up an old AP 800 for the 178 if I found out the G11 was borderline. I am open to and interested in any recommendations.

Steve,

A friend also recently purchased a AP 178 recently through Astromart. We tried it on my AP 900 mount and it was fine visually but would have benefited from a 1200 class mount. He didn't have a finder yet so our targets were limited but Jupiter was very good.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: Ziggy943]
      #5818574 - 04/23/13 08:17 PM

I didn't expect that, Ziggy. My TMB175/8 was about 50 pounds dressed and it was a great match with the AP900QMD I had at the time. Of course, I just came from a G11 so I might have had stars in my eyes at the time.

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #5818668 - 04/23/13 09:23 PM

Out of curiosity I decided to subject my 1400mm FL scope to some rap tests tonight and time the results. Depending on how I hit the focuser, damping times ranged from 1-2 seconds. The total payload on the mount was about 32 pounds.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
      #5818768 - 04/23/13 10:19 PM

Before you spend a lot of dosh on a big mount why not try a Hargreaves Strut ?

If the scope's weight is not a problem for your G11 but its length and moment arm are this may be a solution for you for under $100...

At least you could slap one together until you find the right mount.....

Dave

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: Cotts]
      #5818795 - 04/23/13 10:32 PM

That's a good idea.

stevenwav
sage

Reged: 02/06/12

Loc: New England
Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: rfic1]
      #5818878 - 04/23/13 11:11 PM

Thanks Bob! I actually tried to contact a couple of folks on Amart that had older ads for 800's that weren't marked SOLD. I may look into that if they get back to me, especially if I can't put a deal together for an older 900.

stevenwav
sage

Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: Ziggy943]
      #5818917 - 04/23/13 11:24 PM

I cant wait to get the Superplanetary and the 178 set up. This particular 178s OTA has been cut down for binoviewing so it will be my "cruiser", just scanning the milky way etc. I figured that the 6" will be my go to planetary and lunar machine under the average lousy jet stream ridden skies we have here in New England. It should max out the view on most nights. When the seeing is better, I will bring out the DK 10".
As a visual observer with many cloudy nights and light polluted skies, I decided that I need aperture, the fast cool down times and the ease of use of the refractor, so that I can see all I can with short notice and hectic work schedule. I can always fall back on my excellent tmb 100 for real grab and go. Plus, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab these legends as they became available. I will do what it takes to adjust my mounts to accommodate them and I appreciate all of this input.

stevenwav
sage

#5818925 - 04/23/13 11:30 PM

Quote:

If the scope's weight is not a problem for your G11 but its length and moment arm are this may be a solution for you for under $100...

Dave

Whoa! That's a new one on me. Thanks Dave!

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5819136 - 04/24/13 05:17 AM

Tanveer, there's no doubt the AP178 will overwhelm a G11.

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

#5819801 - 04/24/13 01:24 PM

Quote:

I cant wait to get the Superplanetary and the 178 set up. This particular 178s OTA has been cut down for binoviewing so it will be my "cruiser", just scanning the milky way etc. I figured that the 6" will be my go to planetary and lunar machine under the average lousy jet stream ridden skies we have here in New England. It should max out the view on most nights. When the seeing is better, I will bring out the DK 10".
As a visual observer with many cloudy nights and light polluted skies, I decided that I need aperture, the fast cool down times and the ease of use of the refractor, so that I can see all I can with short notice and hectic work schedule. I can always fall back on my excellent tmb 100 for real grab and go. Plus, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab these legends as they became available. I will do what it takes to adjust my mounts to accommodate them and I appreciate all of this input.

Do not underestimate the 178's planetary performance. It will be supurb. Also, consider this, for nights with lousy seeing, you can always stop down the 178 to 6" or even 5".

I'm curious to see it the 178 is air gapped or not. If it is, you got the best of the pre-EDT scopes. I had two of the 6" F9's that were airspaced. Man! NO COLOR! Even racking around focus. However, it will take longer to thermally settle out relative to the oils spaced design.

Also, I've an APM 178 F8 and fully dressed out (with bin-viewers, 60mm finder, aft weight ring and aft counterposie weight), is pushing 50 pounds but my G11 handled it ok for visual use. Vibration was a bit of low frequency rocking but focusing at high power was fine, but like, the others said, wind was the issue. My older Losmandy GM100 was a noticably better match but the AP 900GTO is wonderful. I use the G11 pier with an AP/Losmandy adapter set.

The real issue will be the process you use to install the 178 on the mount, regardless of the mount. But that gets easier the more you weight train using overhead lifts .

Pictures, give us pictures!

Jeff

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5819833 - 04/24/13 01:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Whoa! That's a new one on me. Thanks Dave!

Here's another link:
https://sites.google.com/a/astrotasmania.com/www/hargreavesstrut

stevenwav
sage

Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: SteveG]
      #5819863 - 04/24/13 01:56 PM

Thanks for the link Steve. That makes it even clearer.

Jeff B - I will send pics as soon as I can get these birds off the ground. If I can get some tastey views of the planets and luna with the 178 bino-viewed - so much the better! Man this is going to be awesome, having these scopes. anticipate receiving the 178 next week. It does get pretty windy quite often here in Central MA. I am really leaning towards a used AP 900 QMD which would also hold my DK 10" in addition to the two AP's. I am looking into getting an adjustable portable pier as well that I could affix to castors for ease of movement. I love the idea of the adjustable height portable pier to save me from having to step up to mount the scopes. I am 5'11" and while I am not too worried about lifting the weight, I am concerned about the awkwardness due to the length. I don't have any observing buddies locally so I need to make this process as user-friendly and fool proof for one person as possible. I must admit thought, once I developed a technique, I was able to mount my 216 mak/newt fairly easily onto my G11, but I didn't have an extension.

On another note, do I need to shine a green laser through the objective to determine air or oil-spaced? If so, can someone tell me what to look for t tell the difference?

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
      #5819866 - 04/24/13 01:59 PM

Quote:

Dave

Good idea. I had actually thought of building one since I had two of the ScopeStuff rings, one of which I used for the counterweight. But the CGE is steady enough for visual use so I never bothered.

I've never used the G11 but I always thought it was equivalent to the CGE. Perhaps I'm not picky enough.

Tanveer.

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

#5819891 - 04/24/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

On another note, do I need to shine a green laser through the objective to determine air or oil-spaced? If so, can someone tell me what to look for t tell the difference?

No, though that's an easy way. You'll see the spacers along the edge if it's airspaced. If the 6" F12 is oil spaced, you can use it as a reference.

Enjoy!

Jeff

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
      #5819900 - 04/24/13 02:17 PM

Quote:

If needed, I have the parts list from the Sep 2001 Thomas Dobbins article in S&T. The prices have gone up, though. Just the two universal joints will cost you $82 rather than the $24 in 2001.
Tanveer.

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

#5820095 - 04/24/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

You can just look at the lens. If you see multiple reflections of some light source, it's air spaced. If you see only 2 reflections, it's oiled.

I would be surprised if the 178 wasn't superior to the 6" for planets. In fact, the 6" seems redundant to me, unless you just like to collect things.

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Re: AP 178 f/9 Questions new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5820106 - 04/24/13 03:55 PM

Quote:

the AP 900GTO is wonderful. I use the G11 pier with an AP/Losmandy adapter set.

Do you mean the G11 tripod? You're using it with a 900 mount and a 50 pound load and it works well? I like my G11 tripod, and if I wind up with a 900-1100 mount I'd like to continue to use it, but not if it would compromise stability.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
40 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2209

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics