Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
New Ed Ting review of the AP 175
      #5873685 - 05/20/13 12:53 PM

I have always enjoyed Ed's reviews and here is a new one of the AP 175.

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1ag.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #5873739 - 05/20/13 01:14 PM

The challenging double that made them decide to stop Zeta Bootis which he says is 0.8 arcseconds is as I have it a much more challenging 0.49 arcseconds. They should have kept going down the list....

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5873760 - 05/20/13 01:23 PM

Good read, thanks for posting. "Its only competitors for this crown come from AP's other, smaller refractors, and perhaps one of the larger Takahashis like the FCT150"...I'm pretty sure the TEC 180FL I looked through could give it a run for its money though!

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: t.r.]
      #5873810 - 05/20/13 01:54 PM

I was thinking the same thing about the Tec 180Fl. I have the Tec 160Fl and hope it is close. Would love to compare.

Lynnblac

Reged: 04/06/09

Loc: Arizona
      #5873817 - 05/20/13 01:56 PM

Observed Saturn this weekend with a AP175. I agree with Ed's review, an excellent scope.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5873878 - 05/20/13 02:33 PM

I like Ed's reviews.

I totally disagreed with his C9.25 review because based on his lofty praise, I bought one, and it was not at all satisfying to use.

But I do like his reviews in general and have passed some time reading them.

Not surprised that he would like the AP 175. Of course the optical quality would be outstanding.

But I doubt that it would be the best view ever. There are many larger, higher quality refractors out there that would do as well or better, I am sure.

There was a time when I really craved a big AP refractor, but Roland Christen talked me out of it. I said planetary performance was near the top of my list and he convinced me instead to go for a 10" custom reflector (which is what he uses.... LOL)

If I were into wide field imaging though, I would be willing to bet that this scope is perhaps at the very very very top of what a large refractor is capable of doing.

Most of the magic in this scope is not to be found by putting an eyepiece into it.

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5873904 - 05/20/13 02:53 PM

Speaking of planetary performance, I have viewed Saturn each night and it is very nice. I can easily see the Cassini Division and various shades of yellow on the planet. I have only viewed from my neighborhood back yard and so the seeing may not always be the best with all the homes. I also think I see the moons quite easily. I keep wondering how much more there is to see through my Tec 160Fl if I do get better seeing, perhaps I should take the scope out of the city. What more can I expect to see with a 6.3" refractor? I realize I might have to be patient and wait for seeing to clear and I have only viewed for a few minutes at a time both mono and in a bino. Thanks.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: Kent10]
      #5873944 - 05/20/13 03:11 PM

Well, even according to TEC (Yuri) and at least one CN'er, the difference on planetary between the TEC140 and TEC160 came down to slightly sharper clarity of Cassini's...and not much else.

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: t.r.]
      #5873974 - 05/20/13 03:25 PM

Right. Thanks t.r. I saw where Yuri said that. So I need a large SCT or reflector to have a chance at seeing much more, like detail in the rings?

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
      #5873993 - 05/20/13 03:32 PM

From the review
"This is the best refractor I've ever looked through, and a good candidate for the best telescope I've ever seen, period."

"it was becoming obvious that the seeing conditions weren't going to allow us to go sub arc-second on this night."

curious combo : )

vahe
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #5874088 - 05/20/13 04:04 PM

Not much substance in that review, Ed has written more in depth reviews in the past.

Vahe

Dwight56

Reged: 04/17/10

#5874102 - 05/20/13 04:06 PM

I setup my AP 175 at Thunderbird Park last Saturday night that was May 18th at our Anual Saquaro Astronomy Club Public Star party. I had my AP 175 and 9mm Nagler trained on Saturn the whole night and the comments from the people moving through the various scope lines were amusing. There is really a slide underneath, hey this cannot be that good. to Oh My Gosh and so on. Saturn was showing a wealth of detail. Rings stood out real well, the disk was showing some really nice banding. Last thing before teardown we had to out of the park by 10pm was the moon showing all kinds of detail.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5874165 - 05/20/13 04:25 PM

I don't think so. Ring detail is highly seeing dependent. More often than not what you want is superior optical quality and moderate aperture (5" to 8") to start picking out ring structure details. Larger instruments are more affected by less than perfect seeing. Obstructed instruments are lower contrast than unobstructed ones.

Ergo, you need a moderately large well figured unobstructed scope for planets. Roland uses a 10 MCT of his won design for planets, it is true...but he's IMAGING them. For visual use, you can't do better than a premium quality big refractor for planetary detail.

- Jim

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5874193 - 05/20/13 04:32 PM

Great Jim. Thanks. I do enjoy the view of Saturn but I also want more now. So I will keep looking and also look forward to the day I can take the scope to a nicer location. I have been learning about seeing by viewing the moon each night. I saw the Collins, Armstrong and Aldrin craters the other night but only for a couple of minutes. It was easy then but later I could not see them at all. Same with the Plato craterlets. Nearer full moon I could easily see 4 but the last couple of nights I can only barely make out something and that is because I know where to look. It should get easier in the coming days I think.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5874208 - 05/20/13 04:42 PM

You cannot really test on a night of bad seeing.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5874215 - 05/20/13 04:45 PM

> Ring detail is highly seeing dependent.

I had a 4" TMB with binoviewer, 1.7x corrector and fantastic 8.3mm olympus eyepieces under absolutely 10/10 sustained stable skies ONCE (the only time in 10 yrs I thought - these are absolutely perfectly stable skies) and the ring detail was impressive. I had viewed Saturn Many times before with the same scope but this was one step beyond. I started splitting doubles immediately and noted how I could place secondaries sometimes onto primary 1st diffraction rings and make them look like little pieces of jewelry with stones.

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5874234 - 05/20/13 04:56 PM

True. I am just not sure yet what really good seeing is I think. I know really bad seeing and I have had some adequate seeing (I think). But I probably have never experienced really fine seeing and that is what I have to look forward to.

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
      #5874255 - 05/20/13 05:13 PM

I have read that beyond a certain size, the thermal inertia of a big slab of glass in a triplet become difficult to manage and become a limiter of performance. What is the experience of the big apo people?

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Re: New Ed Ting review of the AP 175 new [Re: Sgt]
      #5874307 - 05/20/13 05:47 PM

I am sure it would be a problem if you have very limited viewing time, or no chance to thermally accomodate the scope. I have always given my scopes an hour or two outside in their case to come to temp. and I have only seen more and more detail as I have purchased progressively larger refractors. At some point (I say around 175mm), planetary details get markedly easier for my eyes.

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

#5874484 - 05/20/13 07:15 PM

Quote:

> Ring detail is highly seeing dependent.

I had a 4" TMB with binoviewer, 1.7x corrector and fantastic 8.3mm olympus eyepieces under absolutely 10/10 sustained stable skies ONCE (the only time in 10 yrs I thought - these are absolutely perfectly stable skies) and the ring detail was impressive. I had viewed Saturn Many times before with the same scope but this was one step beyond. I started splitting doubles immediately and noted how I could place secondaries sometimes onto primary 1st diffraction rings and make them look like little pieces of jewelry with stones.

Thanks Mike. I look forward to the day I have great seeing. Right now it is too convenient for me to view from my backyard. I can set up everything in under 5 mins. But when I have more time I will take the scope out somewhere dark and calm I am sure there will be a point where I won't be able to stand the poor seeing any more. It does cool down here pretty fast though because it is dry desert so I hope my Tec 160Fl can keep up.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2514

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics