Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Mount Jiggle with my 120mm F8.3 new [Re: tomcody]
      #5972007 - 07/15/13 10:57 AM

Quote:

Chris,
I looks like you have square (90deg) cuts at the bottom of the legs. On Diskmount tripods, the legs are cut at an angle so they sit flat (and the edges rounded - maybe a 1/4" radius), they are very solid this way, you may want to finish your legs the same.
Also on the Yahoo Diskmount users forum, Tom has instructions for what kind of finish he uses on the legs, you may want to check it out.
Rex

It probably depends on the surface. Setup on grass, close to the ideal surface, the end cut probably doesn't matter much.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Mount Jiggle with my 120mm F8.3 new [Re: Chris1485]
      #5972034 - 07/15/13 11:14 AM

As mentioned, you may find it better to use a wood rasp to shape the ends, but that is maybe more cosmetic.

One thing that will help will be to put the eyepiece/accessory tray on to the spreader. This will improve the stiffness of the spreader a lot.

If your mount did not come with one, see if you can find a used one. Even if it doesn't help, it is still handy to have.

Of course you can make one too. Cut a wooden disk about 25cm in diameter and mark the hole positions for the thumb screws, drill holes, add some wingnuts and you are in business. If you can find a 1.25" hole saw (or slightly larger) you can drill some eyepiece holes yourself with an electric drill.

The next big improvement will come if you add a set of vibration suppression pads. These things work and work well.

I am happy that other people showed you how easy it is to make serviceable legs. The tripod legs are almost always the weak point in these small EQ mounts.

O

Chris1485
sage

Reged: 09/05/06

Loc: U.K.
Re: Mount Jiggle with my 120mm F8.3 new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5972092 - 07/15/13 11:50 AM

I had thought about finishing the bottom of the legs, but wasn't sure whether to taper them, so just to try it out I left them cut square.
I will look at the site Rex suggests.

Thanks,

Chris.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
40 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 916

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics