Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: Castor]
      #5971796 - 07/15/13 08:18 AM

Good thing is that you don't buy TeleVue 127mm...expensive and length is short unless if you are serious astrophpotography. Your new toy is great and f8 is just right!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Castor
sage

Reged: 03/26/08

Loc: GMT-6 / North
Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: Illinois]
      #5971922 - 07/15/13 09:52 AM

Hi Illinois,

I have owned the TeleVue NP127is from many years now and it's my favorite telescope. It's a very good all-purpose telescope and it's excellent for wide field deep-sky observing: My main interest.

The telescope that I didn't buy is the TEC140 because it is too close in aperture to the TeleVue NP127is that I have: 5 1/2 inches vs. 5 inches. And also because it was not in stock and it would take a long wait to get it.

Take good care!

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
      #5971968 - 07/15/13 10:30 AM

strange tube rings

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
      #5973712 - 07/16/13 08:48 AM

Quote:

Hi Illinois,

I have owned the TeleVue NP127is from many years now and it's my favorite telescope. It's a very good all-purpose telescope and it's excellent for wide field deep-sky observing: My main interest.

The telescope that I didn't buy is the TEC140 because it is too close in aperture to the TeleVue NP127is that I have: 5 1/2 inches vs. 5 inches. And also because it was not in stock and it would take a long wait to get it.

Take good care!

I see and only half inch so forget it! I am sure that your new 152mm would be last for a long time! I like DSO, too!

I have 3 telescopes for now and should be for rest of my life! ES127 for general and use most of the time. 180mm Mak-Cass for planets and Moon. Mars, Juipter and Saturn! 16 inch for my main DSO! Planets is also good, too!

Castor
sage

Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: Illinois]
      #5975336 - 07/17/13 12:47 AM

Hi Illinois,

I belive the ES127 apo will serve you well as a general use scope, as the TV NP127is has done for me! You have a good spread of telescopes from 5 inches up to 16 inches. Wow!!

Regards,

Castor
sage

Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #5975381 - 07/17/13 01:53 AM

Quote:

strange tube rings

I agree that they they are a bit different!

While making my shopping list for this telescope and based on the visual appearance from the pictures available on the net, I was initially considering replacing the original the rings for something more substantial. I was a concerned about the reliabilty of the latch system used for locking the rings.

But after actually receiving the telescope and closely inspecting the rings, I decided to postpone replacing them indefinitely. The rings are very lightweight and sufficiently rigid from my point of view to firmly hold the optical tube, at least for visual use -assuming of course that you keep the original handle in place or some kind of plate bridging the top of the rings.

About their durability, I still think the weak link could be their latching system. But, since I always load the telescope on the mount with the rings installed and balance the telescope using the sliding dovetail plate, I'll rarely need to open them -if ever, and for that reason I doubt I will subject them to much stress or abuse. The rings include some fine felt that adheres very well to the carbon fiber tube, so you could even leave the rings open and the tube would not slip, at least if the angle of the optical tube is not too steep. With the rings closed using their latch system, there is zero slippage of the optical tube at any angle.

I still might upgrade the mounting rings sometime down the road, but for now they are doing a good job for visual use.

Clear skies!

Explore Scientific 152 f/8 ED Apo Triplet Refractor: Back Side of Dual Split Mounting Rings
with Handle, Losmandy DUP Dovetail Plate, Losmandy VUP Dovetail Plate, Finder Base.

contrailmaker
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

#5975949 - 07/17/13 12:58 PM

Thanks for sharing Castor. That is an excellent telescope. I have an AP152 that I use for for planetary/lunar and can honestly say it is the one telescope I will never sell. The views using a binocular viewer are fantastic. Hope you get some clear skies soon.

CM

Edited by contrailmaker (07/17/13 01:00 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5976118 - 07/17/13 02:26 PM

Incidentally, TEC rings also have a latching-type mechanism.

Regards,

Jim

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
      #5976773 - 07/17/13 08:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

strange tube rings

I agree that they they are a bit different!

While making my shopping list for this telescope and based on the visual appearance from the pictures available on the net, I was initially considering replacing the original the rings for something more substantial. I was a concerned about the reliabilty of the latch system used for locking the rings.

But after actually receiving the telescope and closely inspecting the rings, I decided to postpone replacing them indefinitely. The rings are very lightweight and sufficiently rigid from my point of view to firmly hold the optical tube, at least for visual use -assuming of course that you keep the original handle in place or some kind of plate bridging the top of the rings.

About their durability, I still think the weak link could be their latching system. But, since I always load the telescope on the mount with the rings installed and balance the telescope using the sliding dovetail plate, I'll rarely need to open them -if ever, and for that reason I doubt I will subject them to much stress or abuse. The rings include some fine felt that adheres very well to the carbon fiber tube, so you could even leave the rings open and the tube would not slip, at least if the angle of the optical tube is not too steep. With the rings closed using their latch system, there is zero slippage of the optical tube at any angle.

I still might upgrade the mounting rings sometime down the road, but for now they are doing a good job for visual use.

Clear skies!

Explore Scientific 152 f/8 ED Apo Triplet Refractor: Back Side of Dual Split Mounting Rings
with Handle, Losmandy DUP Dovetail Plate, Losmandy VUP Dovetail Plate, Finder Base.

When I had mine (for a short period), ES gave me the option for either type of ring.....the kind you have or the more traditional type (are they called shoulder bolts?). I hope your rings are good; mine were so poorly aligned and bent out of shape, I had to get them replaced.
How's the color correction?

Castor
sage

Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: contrailmaker]
      #5977159 - 07/18/13 01:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing Castor. That is an excellent telescope. I have an AP152 that I use for for planetary/lunar and can honestly say it is the one telescope I will never sell. The views using a binocular viewer are fantastic. Hope you get some clear skies soon.

CM

Hi Contrailmaker,

Thank you for reading my post and for your kind words!

Planetary/lunar observing is the reason that I bought this telescope and it's good to hear about other observers walking a similar path -using a 6-inch apo for planetary/lunar. Due to my back problems, a 6-inch is also the largest refractor that I can handle. By the way, a binocular viewer is in my future plans too.

Clear skies!

Castor
sage

Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5977163 - 07/18/13 01:32 AM

Quote:

Incidentally, TEC rings also have a latching-type mechanism.

Regards,

Jim

You are right Mr. Burnell and thank you for reminding us! It's just that the TEC latching-type mechanism is much nicer.

I like TEC rings, or TEC telescopes for that matter!

Castor
sage

Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5977178 - 07/18/13 01:54 AM

Quote:

When I had mine (for a short period), ES gave me the option for either type of ring.....the kind you have or the more traditional type (are they called shoulder bolts?). I hope your rings are good; mine were so poorly aligned and bent out of shape, I had to get them replaced.
How's the color correction?

Hi spongebob,

Yes, the rings that came with my telescope are good, thank you! That's why I decided to use them instead of replacing them as originally considered. I even took the trouble of drilling addtional holes on the Losmandy DUP Dovetail Mounting Plate to have a more solid connection for permanent use.

Regarding color correction, I have looked through the telescope only once due to bad weather, so it would be hard to evaluate optical quality based on those brief moments. I could detect some color fringing, but it's hard to tell if it's collimation related because the collimation screws arrived loose due to the bumpy trip. And I have plenty of bad weather ahead, so no prospects here!

Clear skies!

Saied Mabrouk

Reged: 03/30/08

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
      #6098796 - 09/24/13 04:16 PM

Thanks Castor for the great reporting.
Since I have an old back, can you give us the weight of the OTA with everything on it including high quality eyepiece?
Regards.

Castor
sage

Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: Saied Mabrouk]
      #6099626 - 09/25/13 12:31 AM Attachment (87 downloads)

Quote:

Thanks Castor for the great reporting.
Since I have an old back, can you give us the weight of the OTA with everything on it including high quality eyepiece?
Regards.

Gladly!

I weighted the telescope with all accessories (as pictured) on a digital scale. These are my results for the different configurations:

1- ED152CF OTA with Dew Shield, Mounting Rings, 14" DUP Dovetail Plate, 14" VUP Dovetail Plate, SV 9x50mm Finder, Starbeam Finder, 2" Everbrite Diagonal and 35mm Panoptic Eyepiece (2"). Weight: 31.6 lbs. (14.36 Kg.).

2- ED152CF OTA with Dew Shield, Mounting Rings, 14" DUP Dovetail Plate, 14" VUP Dovetail Plate, SV 9x50mm Finder, 2" Everbrite Diagonal and 35mm Panoptic Eyepiece (2"). Weight: 31.0 lbs. (14.09 Kg.).

3- ED152CF OTA with Dew Shield, Mounting Rings, 14" DUP Dovetail Plate, 14" VUP Dovetail Plate, SV 9x50mm Finder, 2" Everbrite Diagonal and 24mm Panoptic Eyepiece (1.25"). Weight: 29.8 lbs. (13.55 Kg.).

4- ED152CF OTA with Dew Shield, Mounting Rings, 14" DUP Dovetail Plate, 14" VUP Dovetail Plate, SV 9x50mm Finder, 2" Everbrite Diagonal w/o eyepiece. Weight: 29.4 lbs. (13.36 Kg.).

Please note that I replaced the original short/lightweight mounting plate (7.5") with a long/heavy dovetail plate (14", 2.4 lbs.) and also added a long dovetail plate on top (14", 1.25 lbs.). The Explore Scientific 8x50mm right-angle finderscope was replaced with a Stellarvue 9x50mm right-angle finderscope. The telescope with the original accessories is lighter than the one that I weighted.

The scope is large but manageable with the aid of the scope handle. However, mounting/dismounting the telescope on the standard mount saddle plate (Losmandy G-11) at the required height for optimal viewing (near the zenith) was always a stressful job. I replaced the standard (slide-in) Losmandy saddle plate with a tip-in saddle plate from Robin Casady (Dove12) that allows loading the scope from one side. Mounting the scope is much easier now!

The picture shows my configuration for visual observing with the Explore Scientific ED152CF.

JimT
sage

Reged: 08/13/05

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
      #6099919 - 09/25/13 08:37 AM

I can only hope to some day gather up enough coin to buy a OTA like that. It is a thing of beauty Castor. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Wilsonman
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/30/07

Loc: S.E. PA
Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: JimT]
      #6100133 - 09/25/13 11:06 AM

Very impressive! I enjoyed looking at all the pictures and I would imagine most refractor lovers would love to have those instruments......and that mount, too!

Saied Mabrouk

Reged: 03/30/08

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: Wilsonman]
      #6100446 - 09/25/13 01:50 PM

Thanks Castor.
When you have a chance to better evaluate the color correction of the ES152mm CF, would you be able to compare its color correction to your Vixen ED100sf F/9 as this 4" OTA color correction is well known.
Regards.

Castor
sage

Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: Wilsonman]
      #6101411 - 09/25/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

I can only hope to some day gather up enough coin to buy a OTA like that. It is a thing of beauty Castor. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you JimT!

If having a medium size apo refractor is your goal, I'm sure you will find a way to make it happen. Trust me, I know because it took me over fifteen years to finally have the telescope of my dreams (the NP127is) from the days that I drooled over the pictures of the TeleVue Genesis refractor on the Astronomy magazines!

Quote:

Very impressive! I enjoyed looking at all the pictures and I would imagine most refractor lovers would love to have those instruments......and that mount, too!

Thank you Wilsonman!

Well, not everyone likes carbon fiber for their refractors due to the thermal characteristics, but at least they are presentable and lightweight. The G-11 Mount is a nice match for this scope, just don't take them to a star party with dark skies -they seem to have the ability to disappear from the radar, like the B-2 Stealth Bomber- the results could be catastrophic!

Regards,

Castor
sage

Re: Explore Scientific 152mm f/8 ED Apo: Pictures!! new [Re: Saied Mabrouk]
      #6101498 - 09/25/13 11:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks Castor.
When you have a chance to better evaluate the color correction of the ES152mm CF, would you be able to compare its color correction to your Vixen ED100sf F/9 as this 4" OTA color correction is well known.
Regards.

You are welcome Saied!

Unfortunately, the weather where I live does not favor visual Astronomy (maybe I could have a chance with Radio Astronomy, like in Arecibo, Puerto Rico) and the occasional partially clear night rarely coincides with a weekend, the only period when I have the time to set up this behemoth!

I have looked through this telescope only twice since I received it, and just for brief moments under less than ideal conditions! I guess the reason that I have multiple scopes is that I really enjoy looking at them. I just wish I could look through them more often.

I'm Sorry to let you down this time!

Regards,

Kunama
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/22/12

#6101535 - 09/25/13 11:33 PM

Excellent write up Castor, looks like a fantastic scope.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6605

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics