Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: russell23]
      #6127804 - 10/09/13 08:19 PM

Yeah the W8 is a nice filter don't get me wrong - I keep it in my filter set for a number of different things - even terrestrial spotting on an overcast day - adds snap to contrasts and flatters my photopic sensitivity. The FK is a paler version to me - its s gentler toning.

We can agree both are excellent filters however!!!

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Space Dragon

Reged: 02/19/12

Loc: Scotland UK
Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6128360 - 10/10/13 04:12 AM

Just wanted to say thanks Russell for the heads up on the Baader Long Pass.
I was out last night with my AT152 and the results were excellent.

Not only did it eliminate ALL false colour on the brighter stars but it also pulled stars into a much tighter focus and revealed more nebulous features.

I thought I'd have a look for the Veil from my semi-light polluted back yard and was able to glimpse it with the 495, nothing without it and obvious with a OIII.

I also have a mild astigmatism in my good eye which has appeared in the last couple of years, I was considering TV dioptrix but the filter even sorted that out as I saw no aberration at all, stars focused to a perfect disc.

I was hoping for good things from the 495 going by some of the opinions in this thread but it went much further than expected.

The moon was setting last night so didn't get a chance but I should have a Moon & Skyglow filter turning up today so will try the two together.

I've never looked through a 6" APO but it's hard to imagine how much better the views would be.

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: Space Dragon]
      #6128585 - 10/10/13 09:10 AM

I see CN members have been busy buying the 495 long pass filters because of this thread. AgenaAstro is out of stock.

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: Space Dragon]
      #6129705 - 10/10/13 07:03 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to say thanks Russell for the heads up on the Baader Long Pass.
I was out last night with my AT152 and the results were excellent.

Not only did it eliminate ALL false colour on the brighter stars but it also pulled stars into a much tighter focus and revealed more nebulous features.

I thought I'd have a look for the Veil from my semi-light polluted back yard and was able to glimpse it with the 495, nothing without it and obvious with a OIII.

I also have a mild astigmatism in my good eye which has appeared in the last couple of years, I was considering TV dioptrix but the filter even sorted that out as I saw no aberration at all, stars focused to a perfect disc.

I was hoping for good things from the 495 going by some of the opinions in this thread but it went much further than expected.

The moon was setting last night so didn't get a chance but I should have a Moon & Skyglow filter turning up today so will try the two together.

I've never looked through a 6" APO but it's hard to imagine how much better the views would be.

I'm really glad to hear it works well with the 6" achromat too. Thanks for sharing what you found. I continue to be impressed with this filter. Your last sentiment is how I feel about it. With the Fringe Killer I saw important gains in performance, but the 495 longpass makes my Vixen 140NA seem high definition as compared with the view with the FK.

Dave

russell23
Post Laureate

Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: Mike4242]
      #6129725 - 10/10/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

I see CN members have been busy buying the 495 long pass filters because of this thread. AgenaAstro is out of stock.

Looks like Opt is out of the 2" version as well.

Dave

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
      #6129761 - 10/10/13 07:45 PM

They should give you a cut of the proceeds.

mdowns
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Englewood,FL
Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: Mike4242]
      #6129974 - 10/10/13 09:54 PM

Adorama has them,just ordered one.

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/30/08

Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: mdowns]
      #6130083 - 10/10/13 10:43 PM

I got mine from Amazon.

mdowns
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Englewood,FL
      #6131814 - 10/11/13 07:26 PM

I just checked my email for today tonight.Turns out adorama is also out of stock on this one(email notice from them this am). Oh well,dont really mind waiting........

russell23
Post Laureate

#6132178 - 10/11/13 10:54 PM

I had an opportunity to try the FK, #8, and 495 Longpass on the Moon tonight. Normally I use a 107mm Aperture mask with the Vixen 140 NA, but tonight I used it at full aperture.

As with the other tests, the FK and the #8 were pretty much identical in performance. The Moon to my eyes appeared a nice natural color with those filters. As with previous nights, the #8 did not give any yellowish cast to the Moon - again to my eyes. CA was significantly reduced to a very small fringe at 140x on the limb and also faintly detected in places across the surface. The extent of the purple fringe was essentially the same in both filters. If anything the FK had a tiny bit more CA than the #8.

The 495 longpass completely cleaned up the purple fringe. As on previous nights both on the Moon and on bright stars I did see flickering traces of red CA at the Moon's limb - but not in the form of a halo - just little flashes of narrow red light. There was no doubt that the Moon's features were sharper with the 495 Longpass. The yellow color is strong on the Moon with this filter, but easy to get used to.

One other thing I noticed: My 2x and 3x ES barlows - while great for deep sky and sharp for lunar observations, have not been great for lunar observations because of a brownish light or glare when observing the Moon. With the 495 longpass filter this glare was removed and I had some excellent crisp lunar views when I used the 2x ES barlow with my 28mm Meade RG Ortho and the 2" 2.4x Dakin barlow in front of the diagonal (~140x).

Dave

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6132208 - 10/11/13 11:16 PM

This is really exciting to see such great improvements. I can't wait to try the Moon and Sky Glow with the LongPass on the Moon.
De Lorme

russell23
Post Laureate

Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: De Lorme]
      #6132513 - 10/12/13 06:23 AM

Just got in from an early morning observing session. The 495 longpass really does the job. I was able to get sharp views of Jupiter at 200x with my Vixen 140NA without an aperture mask. That NEVER happens with this scope - even when using the Baader FK and an aperture mask.

As with the earlier observations of the Moon, I found there was some fine red CA.

Dave

Jon_Doh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/16/11

Loc: On a receiver's back
      #6132629 - 10/12/13 09:10 AM

Great report russell. Thanks for continuing to update us on this filter.

DeLorme, I'm looking forward to your report and whether adding a Moon and Skyglow filter adds further enhancements. That combo should restore the color, but I wonder if it also won't help with the red flaring too.

russell23
Post Laureate

Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: Jon_Doh]
      #6132725 - 10/12/13 10:17 AM

I think I might pick up an 82A filter to see what that does for the color.

Dave

russell23
Post Laureate

#6134454 - 10/13/13 08:05 AM

Last night I didn't see any red fringing on the Moon. I also have been spotting faint companions to stars that I had never noticed before. The 495 longpass really is changing the observing experience for the better.

Dave

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6135257 - 10/13/13 03:32 PM

I got the Moon and Sky Glow yesterday so I was able to take a look at the Moon and Vega. M&SG by itself was good but not as good as the Longpass. But coupled with the Longpass it took out the yellow and made it sharper with more contrast.
If you can purchase only one buy the Longpass. Then when you can buy the M&SG.
To me the yellow is very mild. After looking at the Moon for
awhile you hardly see it. But what you do notice are mountain ranges that stand out and Craters that are well defined. When using the M&SG on Vega I would see a little
red on the edge and even less with the Longpass. When
coupled together I saw none but I had to focus carefully.
There were no clouds in the sky yet there seemed to be some
haze. The Moon was just over halfway to setting but still
enough time to get a good look. Vega was pretty high in the sky say around 10 o'clock. Tuesday should be better with the Moon high in the sky and no haze. So patience, patience,
patience. Thanks again Dave. The Longpass really makes a clear difference. I'm going to leave them in my diagonal from now on. De Lorme

skywatcher101

Reged: 07/13/10

Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: De Lorme]
      #6146611 - 10/19/13 12:25 PM

Got my 495 longpass in mail. Weather not allowing star testing though. I do have a zhumell moon and sky filter, will see how that helps with reducing the yellow.

Paul

russell23
Post Laureate

Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: skywatcher101]
      #6147174 - 10/19/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

Got my 495 longpass in mail. Weather not allowing star testing though. I do have a zhumell moon and sky filter, will see how that helps with reducing the yellow.

Paul

Can't wait to hear what you find with that. I plan to try a light blue 82A filter, but I also am finding the color shift is easy to adjust to. I was doing some daytime testing of a new Barlow the other day and while I could see the color shift it was not as bothersome a one might expect.

Dave

JimT
sage

Reged: 08/13/05

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
      #6147394 - 10/19/13 08:21 PM

This is one subject that continues to come up all the time in this forum. Just 2 of the many.
http://alturl.com/56yym

http://alturl.com/b5px3

I guess everyone is looking for the magic C A killer filter. The Badder Long Pass being tops on my list.

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: CA Reduction filters new [Re: JimT]
      #6147423 - 10/19/13 08:58 PM

Just rec'd. my Baader Long Pass in the mail. Now, I'd like to order a nice cool, clear night to try it out.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7333

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics