Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
BBC Article...
      #5487085 - 10/24/12 02:16 PM

Something for discussion... Should astronomy be a compulsory topic for education?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20121024-astronomy-should-be-compulsory

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
deSitter
Still in Old School

Reged: 12/09/04

Re: BBC Article... new [Re: neotesla]
      #5487300 - 10/24/12 04:38 PM

I'd almost rather they remained ignorant than be browbeaten by the Kaku-ian, Greene-ian hordes of pseudo-priests teaching astronomy as a new form of closed-minded dogma.

-drl

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
Re: BBC Article... new [Re: deSitter]
      #5487817 - 10/24/12 11:04 PM

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Lexington, KY
      #5487826 - 10/24/12 11:13 PM

I taught with a Rico Tyler in the Kentucky Governor's Scholars Academy for about 10 years. In addition to his almost 30 years involved with the Academy and now being a university astronomy professor, he is a National Science Teacher of the Year award winner (feted and dined at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum with President Clinton present).

Rico once pointed out to me, and it sounded convincing, that astronomy, well taught (as he always did things) is a gateway science to all other sciences; physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics.

Otto

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: BBC Article... new [Re: Otto Piechowski]
      #5487916 - 10/25/12 12:24 AM

Any science, well taught, is a gateway science to all the others.

deSitter
Still in Old School

Re: BBC Article... new [Re: llanitedave]
      #5488048 - 10/25/12 04:26 AM

Exactly! This is precisely the sort of priestly behavior among the "astro-cognoscenti" that I was ranting against.

-drl

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5490350 - 10/26/12 02:37 PM

Quote:

Any science, well taught, is a gateway science to all the others.

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5490824 - 10/26/12 08:23 PM

Quote:

Something for discussion... Should astronomy be a compulsory topic for education?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20121024-astronomy-should-be-compulsory

The introduction of Garett P. Serviss's 1888 book "Astronomy with an Opera glass" talks about how people of that time did not know the names of the brightest stars, could not recognize the constellations, and could not distinguish planets from stars. Seems little has changed for the masses.

Dave

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5490831 - 10/26/12 08:26 PM

Quote:

I'd almost rather they remained ignorant than be browbeaten by the Kaku-ian, Greene-ian hordes of pseudo-priests teaching astronomy as a new form of closed-minded dogma.

Yeah, but what do you really think?

deSitter
Still in Old School

Re: BBC Article... new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5490893 - 10/26/12 09:23 PM

I can't, the local humble m-person will ban me

-drl

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
      #5490935 - 10/26/12 10:00 PM

What/who are "Kaku-ian, Greene-ian hordes"?

deSitter
Still in Old School

Re: BBC Article... new [Re: moynihan]
      #5490953 - 10/26/12 10:14 PM

I see you don't own a televsion machine.

-drl

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

#5491026 - 10/26/12 11:18 PM

Some years ago the state of Kentucky initiated a program called the Kentucky Education Reform Act. This program has accomplished good. For example, it has equalized school district funding.

One other thing KERA has done is to impose on all instruction government mandated standards. The result has been that the curricula of all subjects falling under the direction of the Kentucky Department of Education are quite defined, constrained, narrow, and exclusive to their own topic. This is in part due to the need to prepare students to perform well on tests. Thus, there is little or no room, in the actual high school education environment, to expand instruction much beyond topics exclusively devoted to the specific subject.

Though it is true to say all science subjects can serve as gateways to all other sciences subjects, it is difficult to imagine how biology, chemistry, and physics courses could incorporate much of the other sciences beyond a cursory treatment in today's actual education environment.

Astronomy has, as yet, been able to fly under the radar, perhaps because few who craft the government/education department curricular requirements consider it to be a real science. Though there are elements of mathematics and physics in astronomy course requirements; much of it is show and tell as is evidenced by the fact that astronomy, if it is taught in a school at all, is often taught by persons whose specific training is some other subject; sometimes not even a science.

Astronomy still possesses an innocence, relatively untouched by government/education department mandates, which can allow the dedication of instructional time needed to allow it to be a gateway.

How long this opportunity will last, no one can say.

Otto

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
      #5491184 - 10/27/12 03:41 AM

Quote:

Some years ago the state of Kentucky initiated a program called the Kentucky Education Reform Act. This program has accomplished good. For example, it has equalized school district funding.

One other thing KERA has done is to impose on all instruction government mandated standards. The result has been that the curricula of all subjects falling under the direction of the Kentucky Department of Education are quite defined, constrained, narrow, and exclusive to their own topic. This is in part due to the need to prepare students to perform well on tests. Thus, there is little or no room, in the actual high school education environment, to expand instruction much beyond topics exclusively devoted to the specific subject.

Though it is true to say all science subjects can serve as gateways to all other sciences subjects, it is difficult to imagine how biology, chemistry, and physics courses could incorporate much of the other sciences beyond a cursory treatment in today's actual education environment.

Astronomy has, as yet, been able to fly under the radar, perhaps because few who craft the government/education department curricular requirements consider it to be a real science. Though there are elements of mathematics and physics in astronomy course requirements; much of it is show and tell as is evidenced by the fact that astronomy, if it is taught in a school at all, is often taught by persons whose specific training is some other subject; sometimes not even a science.

Astronomy still possesses an innocence, relatively untouched by government/education department mandates, which can allow the dedication of instructional time needed to allow it to be a gateway.

How long this opportunity will last, no one can say.

Otto

During my entire time in school, we had 2 weeks of astronomy total, it dident even qualify as a " curosry glance", we basicaly covered that the earth is a planet, we have the moon, and there were 9 planets going around the sun, plus some rocks and gas and stuff. oh and the sun is a star.

That may acutaly be more in depth than what we acutualy went over, being that I was 12 when we went over it. It seems it wasnt deemed important enough for a standardized test, so it must not have been worth learning in there minds.

We had years of earth sciences( hydro cycle, volcanism, atmospheric science), chemistry, very basic physics*, and a few other I am sure I am missing.

* there were 2 more advanced physics classes, but they would only allow the "annointed few" who were deemed worthy into it, and the most advanced class only happened every other year, and you had to be in advanced calculus and have taken every other science class to get into it, I don't think I knew of them ever picking enough kids to acutaly have the class.

There was a class were all you did was watch movies though.

Edited by DarkSkys (10/27/12 03:42 AM)

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: BBC Article... new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5491544 - 10/27/12 11:19 AM

Yeah, and they were probably Kaku-ian and Greene-ian movies. A plethora of them on TV nowdays.

Oops, sorry. I don't know how old DarkSkys is but what he's talking about may be before Kaku and Greene. I know my time in school was WAY before them!

Edited by Skip (10/27/12 11:21 AM)

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Re: BBC Article... new [Re: Skip]
      #5491659 - 10/27/12 12:44 PM

Guys/gals....I am not familiar with what you are calling Kakuian and Greenian movies. What are those? And, why are they not considered to be good?

Otto

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
      #5491672 - 10/27/12 12:51 PM

Quote:

I can't, the local humble m-person will ban me

-drl

Twice.

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5491909 - 10/27/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

Guys/gals....I am not familiar with what you are calling Kakuian and Greenian movies. What are those? And, why are they not considered to be good?

Otto

I think it would be reference to Michio Kaku and Brian Greene both of whom popularize astronomy and science through books.

Dave

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
Re: BBC Article... new [Re: Skip]
      #5492831 - 10/28/12 09:57 AM

Quote:

Yeah, and they were probably Kaku-ian and Greene-ian movies. A plethora of them on TV nowdays.

Oops, sorry. I don't know how old DarkSkys is but what he's talking about may be before Kaku and Greene. I know my time in school was WAY before them!

Nah, I've only been outta H.S. for 1.5 years now, them guys have been around way longer than that.

JKoelman
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/16/11

Loc: Bangalore, India
Re: BBC Article... new [Re: russell23]
      #5514518 - 11/11/12 01:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it would be reference to Michio Kaku and Brian Greene both of whom popularize astronomy and science through books.

I like Brian Greene's books, less so Michio Kaku's science popularizations. But all of this is personal taste.

It comes across like there is a consensus here that both pop-science authors generally do a lousy job. No idea what would be the basis for that. Maybe because both authors strongly defend string theory?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1517

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics