Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: D_talley]
      #5543624 - 11/28/12 10:56 AM

Quote:

Do you smell something!!!

Sounds like they are trying to cover up what they found, made a mistake of talking about it before the Feds took control of it.

I guess we will never know what they found.

Martian dogs don't cover their droppings.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
epee
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/30/06

Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh
Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: star drop]
      #5543774 - 11/28/12 12:29 PM

"...a false alarm caused by Earthly contamination from Bigfoot droppings...."

InterStellarGuy
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: Overland Park, KS
      #5543778 - 11/28/12 12:32 PM

There is no X-Files style conspiracy or coverup at play here if that is what you are implying. All this results from some journalist overhyping a quote into something that wasn't.

D_talley
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Richmond VA
Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: InterStellarGuy]
      #5543838 - 11/28/12 12:51 PM

Quote:

There is no X-Files style conspiracy or coverup at play here if that is what you are implying. All this results from some journalist overhyping a quote into something that wasn't.

Grotzinger is the principal investigator for the mission. As a professional, for him to come out with the first quote means he used the years of experience he has, the knowledge of the mission and the tests being conducted to make the statement. His quote is very specific about a result from a specific test in the mission. He also said that he was waiting for another test to confirm the results. Very clear and no media hype there. Yes the media loved it and everyone was spun up but Grotzinger was very clear about what he was talking about.

The quote by the media manager is something you hear them say as the spacecraft launches, not anything to do with what Grotzinger is working on or spoke about. Clearly a bad coverup. No retraction from Grotzinger yet..

InterStellarGuy
professor emeritus

#5543858 - 11/28/12 01:01 PM

HE didn't come out with the quote. NPR did. There is no conspiracy.
NPR interviewed him and they came out with the quote. He himself came out with NOTHING.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: InterStellarGuy]
      #5543865 - 11/28/12 01:07 PM

The original NPR Interview that aired on 11/20/2012

Joad
Wordsmith

Reged: 03/22/05

Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: moynihan]
      #5543918 - 11/28/12 01:41 PM

I've read the Slatest version of the "retraction," and I'm afraid that one thing only is clear: scientists shouldn't chat informally with reporters. Doesn't matter what the truth of the situation is now: Grotzinger has created a situation that is most unfortunate and cannot be fixed. Personally, I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but given the current atmosphere I also think it would be much better if NASA folks would just be more careful in what they say.

D_talley
Carpal Tunnel

#5543920 - 11/28/12 01:42 PM

Quote:

NPR interviewed him and they came out with the quote. He himself came out with NOTHING.

So are you saying that NPR made up the entire exchange and quotes with the lead investigator for this mission?

If so then we need to take NPR to task for implying that there was an anouncement to be made at a later date about a discovery.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

#5543935 - 11/28/12 01:51 PM

Well I for one have never put anymore into what NPR says than ANY other news source, and often actually put less in NPR than even AP. The implication/accusation here is that the reporter "embellished" the information to make it sound like he had more of a story than he had. The great majority of the press are no better than the National Enquirer, spinning articles to make a "better" story and throwing the truth out the door, just spend some time reading CNN's website.

Add to that the NASA rep who if I'm reading correctly is not assigned to the Public Affairs office, so technically isn't in a position to release authorized public statements. And he was speaking on something he knew(knows) nothing about because all the data isn't yet in, let alone the interpretation of that data. Talk about getting the cart before the horse, or in this case the horse's behind in front of it's brain.

Edited by simpleisbetter (11/28/12 01:58 PM)

D_talley
Carpal Tunnel

Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5543946 - 11/28/12 02:01 PM

Quote:

Well I for one have never put anymore into what NPR says than ANY other news source, and often actually put less in NPR than even AP. The implication/accusation here is that the reporter "embellished" the information to make it sound like he had more of a story than he had. The great majority of the mainstream press these days are no better than the Natl Enquirer, spinning articles to make a "better" story and throwing the truth out the door, just spend some time reading CNN's website.

Add to that the NASA rep who if I'm reading correctly not assigned to the Public Affairs office so not in a position to release public statements or info. And he was speaking on something he knew(knows) nothing about because all the data isn't yet in, let alone the interpretation of that data. Talk about getting the cart before the horse, or in this case the horse's behind in front of it's brain.

I agree that the news media's main goal is to increase their readership, causing all twisting of the news and facts.

But with NASA's history of bad press, you would think NASA would have in place a requirement for the news media to contact their public relations office before they interview any staff and staff needs to clear with the public relations office any announcements.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#5543998 - 11/28/12 02:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So are you saying that NPR made up the entire exchange and quotes with the lead investigator for this mission?

If so then we need to take NPR to task for implying that there was an anouncement to be made at a later date about a discovery.

You can listen to/read the NPR story via the link in my post above (#5543865).

The scientist did say "...one for the history books". The NPR reporter story did no embellishment. But anything heard on NPR Morning Edition/All things Considered (the NPR am/pm news shows) is often fodder for the spin/speculation of others, given the their reputation in journalism. As was stated somewhere above the one for the history books...was an unfortunate choice of words for the lay audience and the commercial newstainment sector.
My take:
I have no guess on the refered "event". But, the NPR reporter has guest hosted the Friday Talk of The Nation Science Friday (TON/SYFRI) show. It is possible that the NASA guy actually knows the reporter. And, on TON/SYFRI a new, highest resolution scan by some new probe giving a new unprecdented detailed data dump might be referred to as one for the etc. without anyone freaking out.

Edited by moynihan (11/28/12 02:35 PM)

InterStellarGuy
professor emeritus

#5544004 - 11/28/12 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, I am saying they quote mined him.

You, on the other hand, seem to be implying that the federal govt is trying to coverup information about Mars. Occams Razor would do well here.

7331Peg
Sirius Observer

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: North coast of Oregon
      #5544005 - 11/28/12 02:39 PM

"We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," -- that's all John Grotzinger said. If you heard him during the first press conferences after Curiosity landed, you know he's very careful about choosing his words. You'll notice he didn't say earth-shaking or revolutionary, which were phrases I saw in some of the media articles about this.

Although he did say: "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," -- which may have been a poor choice of words because of its vagueness, but it's hardly a promise of a major discovery.

Way too much hype from a lot of people who are understandably hungry for some sensational news from Mars.

This ain't it. Time to go onto something else.

I hear Walmart is about to open a store on lake front property on Titan.

Wonder if they offer free shipping.

John

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: 7331Peg]
      #5544014 - 11/28/12 02:46 PM

Quote:

I hear Walmart is about to open a store on lake front property on Titan. Wonder if they offer free shipping.

You really will have to obey the no smoking rules in that store, well, and outside it for that matter...

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5544742 - 11/28/12 10:46 PM

Quote:

Actually no Rick, I was talking about that. It is a discovery of the realization that those tests couldn't be conducted, but it didn't conclusively prove or lead to proving anything beyond that observation, one way or the other. That's why I find it as anti-climatic as all the other announcements. Sorry for the tone of my reply, but wasn't feeling too good when I got up this morning, and as stated, I'm way beyond tired of the scientific community creating these sensational announcements that come off in the end as nothing more than Geraldo Rivera and Al Capone's vault...

Well, I hear you there. It's the boy who cried "Wolf". When they actually find those ancient ruins or whatever, nobody will pay attention.

And I agree, the perchlorate discovery doesn't prove anything. But, what it does do is invalidate the negative Viking GCMS results which were used as the primary argument to refute the consistantly positive biological results of Gil Levin's Labeled Release experiment. Dr. Levin has been fighting an uphill battle, pretty much alone, on this issue for over 36 years.

NASA and the scientific community at large can no longer issue the blanket statement that "Viking did not discover any evidence of life". In fact, it did. (That's "evidence", not "proof".) The whole question is open again.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5544929 - 11/29/12 02:12 AM

The final segment on the NBC Nightly News was about the Curiosity find on Wednesday night.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/50002282/#50002282

Dave Mitsky

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: moynihan]
      #5544973 - 11/29/12 05:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hear Walmart is about to open a store on lake front property on Titan. Wonder if they offer free shipping.

You really will have to obey the no smoking rules in that store, well, and outside it for that matter...

No oxygen = no big Boom !

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5546753 - 11/30/12 07:51 AM

Well, much about almost nothing...

Joad
Wordsmith

Reged: 03/22/05

Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: Traveler]
      #5547069 - 11/30/12 12:06 PM

Good find, Traveler. Thanks for the link.

dickbill
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/08

Re: "Historical" huge find Curiosity Just Made on Mars new [Re: Joad]
      #5547146 - 11/30/12 12:46 PM

Since organics seem to be present on Mercury, finding some on Mars cannot be 'huge' anywway. The opposite would be surprising (methane, comets, nearby asteroids, ALH84001...)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6578

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics