Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scott Horstman
Vendor - Backyard Observatories

Reged: 03/11/04

Loc: Here, There and Everywhere
Re: Polar Shift new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5583136 - 12/21/12 08:01 PM

It took a jump a few years ago to the West. So much so with that and the movement over the years, Miami airport had to re-do the orientation on it's runways.
When we moved in to our house 8 years ago the magnetic deviation was 4 and now it's 7 degrees.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: Polar Shift new [Re: echoes1961]
      #5583368 - 12/21/12 11:16 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking more along the lines of the whole planet moving back to a 90 degrees. Right now the earth is at a 23 degree angle so that is why we have the four seasons as the earth travels around the sun. If it were to right-itself there would be no more seasons? Sorry if that doesn't make sense but it's something like that?

So that's the polar shifting I'm thinking of...the planet moving, and if the planet moves so will the magnatic field and there will be only one season per-year.

try this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_tilt

Quote:

For the past 5 million years, Earth's obliquity has varied between 22° 02' 33" and 24° 30' 16", with a mean period of 41,040 years. This cycle is a combination of precession and the largest term in the motion of the ecliptic. For the next 1 million years, the cycle will carry the obliquity between 22° 13' 44" and 24° 20' 50".

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1513

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics