Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: Mister T]
      #5931397 - 06/20/13 02:24 PM

Quote:

pi(e) is always the answer!!!

Correct. Pie R round.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mister T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5931820 - 06/20/13 06:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

pi(e) is always the answer!!!

Correct. Pie R round.

I are round from eating too much pi(e)

Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: Mister T]
      #5933129 - 06/21/13 02:47 PM

Now, if the aliens bring good pie, then I am satisfied with being conquered and/or enslaved. I am a sucker for a good key lime pie.

Mister T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #5933206 - 06/21/13 03:46 PM

my fave t-shirt says i 8 ∑ π

(sum pi) freakin computers!!

Pess
(Title)

Reged: 09/12/07

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #5933212 - 06/21/13 03:48 PM

I doubt aliens would enslave mankind.

Slavery always dies out when it becomes more expensive to house, feed, cloth and maintain a slave over buying a machine to do the same task.

Slavery only makes sense when human power is cheaper than hav'n some machine do'ing that for you......

I imagine that if an alien race could zip around the galaxy and wanted the resources located within our gravity well...they would just use monstrous harvesting machines and view humans as a more or less nuisance infestation that they may or may not tolerate.

Pesse ('Hey Curly, them pests scampering all over. Will ya set out the Human roach motels?..they'll check in but they'll never check out!) Mist

StarWars
Mr. Postmaster Man

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<
Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5953179 - 07/03/13 01:58 PM

Quote:

I'm with you. It's like ringing the dinner bell.

How to serve Man.....

StarWars
Mr. Postmaster Man

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<
Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: Pess]
      #5953213 - 07/03/13 02:12 PM

Most likely they would want the resources on planet Earth.....

World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles (2011) FULL MOVIE

Apparently in German but gets to the point....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIgDucy-vHc

Pess
(Title)

Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: StarWars]
      #5953824 - 07/03/13 09:03 PM

Quote:

In all seriousness, is there any resource in Earths gravity well that would be worth the energy to extract?

1) Humans as livestock?

C'mon, if aliens can travel clear across the galaxy I believe they will have found a 'food source' solution that doesn't depend on landfall.

2) Enslave humankind?

Doubtful, owning slaves is expensive. Also resource extraction would probably be the only reason to enslave mankind and, as stated, gravity wells suck too much energy

3) Colonization? Only thing that makes sense. If an alien culture had a generational ship or slow space technology without the resources or desire to move on to an unoccupied system, perhaps they might wish to settle peacefully or forcefully among us. I believe something akin to this was the plot of 'V' awhile back.

In any event, it is my personal opinion that humans have a long way to go before we are worth much as a species. Too many tyrannical dictators, selfish politicians and broken political systems.

Pesse (Can't we all just get along?) Mist

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
      #5953920 - 07/03/13 10:04 PM

Quote:

Too many tyrannical dictators...

Hey now, no need to make this personal!

InterStellarGuy
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: Overland Park, KS
      #5956035 - 07/05/13 12:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In all seriousness, is there any resource in Earths gravity well that would be worth the energy to extract?

1) Humans as livestock?

C'mon, if aliens can travel clear across the galaxy I believe they will have found a 'food source' solution that doesn't depend on landfall.

2) Enslave humankind?

Doubtful, owning slaves is expensive. Also resource extraction would probably be the only reason to enslave mankind and, as stated, gravity wells suck too much energy

3) Colonization? Only thing that makes sense. If an alien culture had a generational ship or slow space technology without the resources or desire to move on to an unoccupied system, perhaps they might wish to settle peacefully or forcefully among us. I believe something akin to this was the plot of 'V' awhile back.

In any event, it is my personal opinion that humans have a long way to go before we are worth much as a species. Too many tyrannical dictators, selfish politicians and broken political systems.

Pesse (Can't we all just get along?) Mist

Have you seen the movie Battle for Tera? It is about a dying human race that had to leave a dead Earth on generation ships. They have 1 month of oxygen left on the ship, and come upon a planet of primitives, and decide to attempt to invade and conquer the planet as to resettle humanity.

Pess
(Title)

Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: InterStellarGuy]
      #5956264 - 07/05/13 03:38 PM

Quote:

Have you seen the movie Battle for Tera? It is about a dying human race that had to leave a dead Earth on generation ships. They have 1 month of oxygen left on the ship, and come upon a planet of primitives, and decide to attempt to invade and conquer the planet as to resettle humanity.

I could envision a species fleeing from another species ala Battlestar Galactica....

Staggering into Earths vicinity with worn out ships and no options.....

But even assuming that this new alien race has a technology an order of magnitude greater than present Earthling posses, we are a tenacious and determined species....just seeing that the impossible is possible is enough to spur discovery of the technology for ourselves i.e. (antigravity, cold fusion, Selling Britney Spears records...etc).

I doubt at this stage of our technological development we could be thrust aside by an alien culture short of them making Earth uninhabitable.

Wolrdwar by H. Turtledove is a novel that takes an interesting twist on this. The alien race is much advanced and very much older than the human race but the aliens own technological advancement is glacial slow (it works, why fix it?)

Their technology is far superior to Earth's but our inquisitive and determined race reverse engineers much of the aliens technology and the aliens slowly find themselves in a progressively more even fight.

Pesse (We may be a bunch of brats, but we are a smart bunch of brats!) Mist

scopethis
Postmaster

Reged: 05/30/08

Loc: Kingman, Ks
Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: InterStellarGuy]
      #5956271 - 07/05/13 03:42 PM

They went through a time warp and landed at Woodstock back in the 60s...

InterStellarGuy
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: Overland Park, KS
      #5956569 - 07/05/13 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I could envision a species fleeing from another species ala Battlestar Galactica....

But even assuming that this new alien race has a technology an order of magnitude greater than present Earthling posses, we are a tenacious and determined species....just seeing that the impossible is possible is enough to spur discovery of the technology for ourselves i.e. (antigravity, cold fusion, Selling Britney Spears records...etc).

I doubt at this stage of our technological development we could be thrust aside by an alien culture short of them making Earth uninhabitable.

Wolrdwar by H. Turtledove is a novel that takes an interesting twist on this. The alien race is much advanced and very much older than the human race but the aliens own technological advancement is glacial slow (it works, why fix it?)

Their technology is far superior to Earth's but our inquisitive and determined race reverse engineers much of the aliens technology and the aliens slowly find themselves in a progressively more even fight.

I don't know how much into video games you or anyone else here is, but when it comes to the alien invasion genre - the whole fight aliens, reverse engineer their technology and fight back idea is the premise behind the X-COM UFO Defense series of games. So if you play any games at all, you might want to check that out.

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
Re: SETI taking an unwise turn? new [Re: scopethis]
      #5956619 - 07/05/13 07:31 PM

I care about things that matter - like how my relationship with my spouse is; how my children are growing up, what kind of people they are turning out to be.

The particular way the human race meets its collective fate - who cares? The result is known, it's just a matter of how the galaxy spends its time between now and then. Virus, comet, nuclear war, the sun, whatever gets us as a species: it's nothing to take seriously; it's going to happen.

Suppose (this is beyond credulity, but anyway) we turn out to be the last survivors, the "winners" - we've escaped the death of our own star, we whipped butt across an entire galaxy (or local group, or universe) full of aliens and bugs. We've got the trophy and the ring and the t-shirt and the scars to prove it - so we can relax and watch as things get cold and dark. So what?

It's just death and taxes, extended to the species.

Det spelar ingen roll.

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
      #5956769 - 07/05/13 09:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Another fun invasion story is "The High Crusade" by Poul Anderson. Seems some aliens bent on colonization land on earth during the middle ages. The aliens discount the ability of humans in armor on horseback - much to their detriment. The crusaders take the alien ship and figure out how to make it go then it's off to the stars for merry adventures.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3545

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics