Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Did meteorites bring life from Mars?
      #6053505 - 08/29/13 11:00 PM

Are we all really Martians? Panspermia gets new life with this hypothesis about the elements of life being brought to earth by rocks from Mars. I have my Martian meteorite. How about you? Now excuse me while I go have a chat with great-great-...-grandfather.

http://www.universetoday.com/104399/are-we-martians-chemists-new-claim-sparks...

/Ira

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: Ira]
      #6053721 - 08/30/13 01:46 AM

Yup, I have mine, too!

We might be. It's an interesting idea; and Mars could certainly "blow chunks" to Earth more easily than the reverse, due to the lesser gravity.
Why the heck not?

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6054290 - 08/30/13 11:59 AM

So what brought life to mars?

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

Reged: 09/26/05

Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA
Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6054314 - 08/30/13 12:13 PM

Quote:

Fred Hoyle.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #6054535 - 08/30/13 02:25 PM

Quote:

A meteorite from someplace else?

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: llanitedave]
      #6054921 - 08/30/13 06:53 PM

Quote:

Fred Hoyle.

I thought it was Edger Rice Burroughs.

Charlie B

GregLee1
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/21/13

Loc: Waimanalo, HI
Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: Charlie B]
      #6054946 - 08/30/13 07:12 PM

I think life spores floating through space is a pretty old idea, but I don't recall Edgar Rice Burroughs proposing that (though I did read the Mars series). I remember E. E. Smith writing about Arisian spores permeating the space of our galaxy, to explain why we are mostly good guys in this neighborhood.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: GregLee1]
      #6055101 - 08/30/13 09:06 PM

Except for the Eddorians in Washington...

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
      #6055702 - 08/31/13 09:23 AM

You are correct. ERB only told how John Carter got to Mars. However, the first theory of Panspermia was by Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius (1903), according to the renowned source wikipedia, and was first proposed in the 5th century BC by Anaxagoras.

However, Panspermia does not explain how life started, but only how it gets disseminated.

Regards,

Charlie B

Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: Charlie B]
      #6055714 - 08/31/13 09:35 AM

The idea here is not that Martian meteorites contained some sort of biological spores or living material that brought life here.

Instead, Martian meteorites contained key chemical ingredients that allowed the formation of RNA, a critical stepping-stone on the way to the evolution of life. At the time, Earth lacked the right conditions and ingredients to form RNA, and it is theorized that the source of the missing ingredients could be Martian meteorites.

It is a tantalizing theory not without merit. But, the evidence is far from conclusive.

It's entirely possible though. We may have a simple shower of Mars rocks to thank for our existence.

Best regards,

MikeG

Mister T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #6055765 - 08/31/13 10:12 AM

Quote:

It's entirely possible though. We may have a simple shower of Mars rocks to thank for our existence.

It's a good thing there were no guys like you , running around collecting them up and putting them in little boxes.

Life never would have had a chance!!

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

#6056164 - 08/31/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

The idea here is not that Martian meteorites contained some sort of biological spores or living material that brought life here.

Instead, Martian meteorites contained key chemical ingredients that allowed the formation of RNA, a critical stepping-stone on the way to the evolution of life. At the time, Earth lacked the right conditions and ingredients to form RNA, and it is theorized that the source of the missing ingredients could be Martian meteorites.

It is a tantalizing theory not without merit. But, the evidence is far from conclusive.

Best regards,

MikeG

I'm not sure what merit it has. I've not seen any evidence that early Earth had any particular inability to support the synthesis of RNA, or that early Mars had any special ability to. If anything, early earth should have had access to pretty much any environmental condition that early Mars would have, plus others as well.

All we have on either side of that particular issue, so far as I know, are speculations. I'm pretty dubious about anyone who thinks he can turn those into assertions.

Glassthrower

#6056293 - 08/31/13 03:31 PM

Dave, supposedly the issue had something to do with Earth's lack of key elements to form RNA, namely Molybdenum and Boron which allegedly did not exist on Earth in the proper forms or amounts - at the time would RNA would have formed. If true, it sounds plausible - the ingredients had to come from somewhere, if they didn't originate here. However, I don't understand all of the science behind this and rely on those who have more expertise to separate the media hype from the real findings.

So, how much is the usual hype, and how much has merit?

Glassthrower

#6056295 - 08/31/13 03:33 PM

Quote:

It's a good thing there were no guys like you , running around collecting them up and putting them in little boxes.

Life never would have had a chance!!

I better go check my supply of Martian meteorites - there might be something growing in there! Hopefully, it's not more advanced than me already....

Glassthrower

#6056296 - 08/31/13 03:34 PM

When a reply uses "allegedly" and "supposedly" in close proximity to each other to support a point, that point is probably moot.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

#6056366 - 08/31/13 04:27 PM

Quote:

When a reply uses "allegedly" and "supposedly" in close proximity to each other to support a point, that point is probably moot.

Now THAT's a good point!

Yeah, I read the BBC article, and it IS interesting, but scientists have been positing templates for minerals other than molybdenum and boron for a long time. I haven't seen anything that suddenly claims those other template ideas are no longer credible.

The thing I have a problem with is the idea that just a very few molecules produced on Mars and transported to Earth could have been replicationally enhanced by processes that would have already had to be in prior existance on Earth! Unless the proposal is that the entire life form originated on Mars first, and then transferred to Earth -- where it found an environment capable of supporting it and letting it prosper...

There are some big self-contradictions inherent in the whole idea. One is that Earth would already have had to have an environment that was amenable to RNA-mediated protein synthesis, with every ingredient present except the RNA.This seems rather too convenient. But it's more sensible to posit that the protein and RNA factors evolved together to allow increasingly more efficient molecular replication.

Here's a recent publication from PLOS ONE discussing some of that early interaction.

Basically, isolated RNA sequences arriving on their own are unlikely to have been able to support any form of self-replication. It looks like that had to coopt AND be coopted by supporting proteins. This implies to me a long period of molecular interactions which would in my mind rule out some arbitrary arrival of a new ingredient at some random time and place.

Even if you take the "Mars First" hypothesis as credible, it's necessary that Earth's environments had already done nearly all the preparatory work for triggering the emergence of life. I don't think anyone has enough knowledge to assert that in spite of all the environmental, chemical, thermal, mineralogical, and textural diversity of early Earth, it lacked simply one single keystone that had to come from Mars -- about which we know even less.

llanitedave
Humble Megalomaniac

#6056380 - 08/31/13 04:36 PM

And just to add -- I don't see why the early Earth could not have had deserts and borate evaporite minerals. Whether prior to or just after the impact that formed the Moon, the Earth should have had plenty of desert terrain. Water is thought to have accumulated on Earth relatively gradually.

GregLee1
professor emeritus

#6056484 - 08/31/13 06:22 PM

Who cares? Are we interested in science, or do we want to help NASA to be more popular and get bigger budgets? I find it all rather sordid.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#6056799 - 08/31/13 10:15 PM

Quote:

Who cares? Are we interested in science, or do we want to help NASA to be more popular and get bigger budgets? I find it all rather sordid.

While I don't understand what that has to do with this thread (at all), I personally would answer the question with a "yes" and another "yes".

What exactly do you find sordid, Greg?

GregLee1
professor emeritus

Re: Did meteorites bring life from Mars? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6056820 - 08/31/13 10:31 PM

Quote:

What exactly do you find sordid, Greg?

I'm not sure I can explain my reaction adequately. I think the brouhaha about life from Mars is just meant to appeal to people's interest in their roots. Where did I come from? What were my ancestors like? Now, suppose we do ultimately decide that our RNA did really require molybdenum from Martian meteorites, or something similar. Is this really going to satisfy this psychological need people have to understand their origins? No -- it's just a public relations farce. It's basically dishonest. I expect better from scientists.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 633

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics