Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: 2" Filter Wheel with visual back / for visual use new [Re: UmaDog]
      #4646964 - 06/19/11 03:25 AM

Astrocrumb now had two versions of the filter slide, one that attaches to the dob tube and one that attaches to the focuser. The straight one has a Denkmeier infocus friendly version with handle that protrudes out the end of the dob, so you can change filters keeping scope aimed at object.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Arbacia
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/18/07

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Re: 2" Filter Wheel with visual back / for visual use new [Re: faackanders2]
      #4646989 - 06/19/11 04:10 AM

For my C11 I use the Baader 2" click Lock visual back (for c11-C14). Then 2" Click Lock Diagonal.

An then, I use two different things, one for binocular and the other for monocular:
1.- Binocular observation: TV binoviever with a 5x1,25" filter whell. The filter wheel with a 2"-T2 nosepiece in one extreme and the T2-T2 adapter that comes with the wheel in the other. The binoviewver is atach directly to the wheel

2.- Monocular observation with 2" eyepieces: a Brightstar 4x2" Filter wheel (the same by Orion and Atik). With a 2" nosepiece (that comes with the wheel) in the telescope side and for the eyepiece side a Badder 2" click lock eyepiece holder. Note that this filterwhell uses M48 (the same pass than the 2" filter), the Click lock is the one designed for C8 and an adaptor M48 (=2" filter screw)-T2 is need. This filter wheel (as it is mounted, with 2" nosepiece and click lock eyepiece holder) is used also in my LB16""

tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
Re: 2" Filter Wheel with visual back / for visual use new [Re: Arbacia]
      #4647005 - 06/19/11 05:27 AM

There certainly are a variety of ways to use the filter wheel behind various scopes and it's good to see people posting the different configurations they're using. The 38mm CA from incorporating T2 components isn't bad but I'm hoping to squeeze another 4mm or 5mm CA by using M48 as the smallest thread - should get about 43mm, not the 46mm I mistakenly posted earlier. I'll post pics after the new adapters arrive.

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: 2" Filter Wheel with visual back / for visual use new [Re: tonyt]
      #4648081 - 06/19/11 09:24 PM

Quote:

The people at Orion are going to have to start giving us commission if this catches on Fred, and you'll get double

What do you do with the dual filter wheels?

- Tony

I could certainly use the money!!! Anyway, I posted the pic just as an illustration of what can be done. In other words, load up both wheels with all of your favorite planetary and deep sky filters. In my case, if you look closely at the picture, you'll see that one of them is a Siebert Optics power mag wheel. Harry Siebert modifies an Orion Wheel by putting his own barlows and a focal reducer in. So, I'm really not THAT crazy. But the possibilities are there for mating 2 filter wheels, presumably with some vignetting due to the stacking.

tonyt
professor emeritus

Re: 2" Filter Wheel with visual back / for visual use new [Re: Fred1]
      #4649857 - 06/20/11 08:16 PM Attachment (83 downloads)

Lane, here are the pics you requested. One problem I had was that the Baader external SCT threaded ring is manufactured to poor tolerances (it's too big in diameter). I ordered two of these rings and one was slightly smaller than the other - the smaller ring would fit most sct threads and did fit the clicklock eyepiece holder. It did not fit the GSO diagonal so I had to use a grinder with wire brush to take the paint off and a sanding stone to remove the top of the threads to get it to fit - so I won't post a pic of the GSO diagonal/filter wheel combo in case people are mislead into thinking they can easily copy the setup.

The parts used in the pics are: BA2956220 clicklock eyepiece holder, BA1508020 external SCT threaded ring, TSROTSC-M48 SC to M48 360 degree rotating ring(2 parts, the outer part holding a dovetailed ring) and the filter wheel. The parts were purchased from Telescope Service in Germany and the clear aperture is 44mm.

Edited by tonyt (06/20/11 08:23 PM)

tonyt
professor emeritus

#4649865 - 06/20/11 08:20 PM Attachment (72 downloads)

put together:

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
      #4656036 - 06/24/11 11:17 AM

Tony, Thanks for the updated pics and parts info. I have one question though. Are you using the Filter wheel in a Diagonal or just as is in a Newt? (Your first pic shows It in a Diagonal and your last pic shows It without). Reason I ask is I currently use an EarthWin PFS-DBSE which has the two filter sliders. I noticed that when using my UO 40mm MK70 or 42mm LVW there was severe Vignetting. Turns out that the EarthWin eyepiece collar has a threaded Dovetail (so It can easily be swapped out for direct attachment of Binoviewers) and is roughly 1.75" in diameter, not a true 2"! Once I swapped the EarthWin set up for my StellarVue Diagonal (which has almost 2"), the Vignetting went away. Have you experienced any Vignetting with large F/L EP's (40mm) with the new larger aperture parts?
I know the WO Diagonal (as well as others) are not quite 2" either due to tapering in the eyepiece collar.

Mike

Edited by junomike (06/24/11 11:30 AM)

tonyt
professor emeritus

Re: 2" Filter Wheel with visual back / for visual use new [Re: junomike]
      #4657021 - 06/24/11 08:45 PM

Hi Mike, the pics above were just to show a possible combination that was requested by Lane. I'll be using the filter wheel with a diagonal.

I've got the wheel connected to a GSO diagonal. The smallest thread is the inside of the M48 thread used to connect parts to the wheel, giving a clear aperture of 44mm. Due to poor weather I haven't had the chance to use it with the C11 and 41mm Pan, but it's sunny today so maybe tonight.

Unfortunately the Baader sct threaded ring is made to very poor tolerances and I had a hell of a time getting it threaded into the GSO diagonal, so I didn't post a pic of the setup. The diagonal takes the place of the clicklock adapter in the pics above.

The WO diagonal is 40mm CA while the GSO diagonal is 46mm CA.

Tony

tonyt
professor emeritus

#4657035 - 06/24/11 08:57 PM

Mike, regarding the Earthwin vignetting, did you have any of the power changing optics in the light path and is their aperture even smaller than the 1.75" dovetail?

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

#4657195 - 06/24/11 11:01 PM

Tony, Thanks for the explaination. I look forward to your results!
In regards to the EarthWin, I didn't have any optics in the light path. The Dovetail which is threaded into the bottom of the eyepiece collar (to allow for easy changing to Binoviewers via a thumbscrew) is approx. 40mm. The optics themselves are almost the same so, whether you use the lenses or not, the CA is approx. 1.574". I've only had Vignetting issues with the 40mm 70 Deg eyepieces. For those I have a StellarVue Diagonal.

Mike

tonyt
professor emeritus

Re: 2" Filter Wheel with visual back / for visual use new [Re: junomike]
      #4657650 - 06/25/11 09:18 AM

I checked for vignetting tonight Mike using the C11 and 41mm Panoptic. Comparing the filter wheel/GSO diagonal to a Televue Everbrite it was hard to see a difference in the width of the field or the appearance of the field stop (slightly fuzzy in both).

Vignetting could be seen with the slightest turn of the wheel while using an empty filter hole, the holder immediately intruding at the edge of field, so I'm thinking 44mm CA must be right on the border line for interfering with the view through an eyepiece with a 46mm field stop.

In any case, the wheel/diagonal combo works well. On NGC 3372 an OIII gave the best contrast between nebulosity and dark lanes, while an NPB(UHC) filter gave the best detail within the nebulosity.

The filters themselves have about 43mm CA and I thought I could see a bit more edge darkening in comparison to the empty slot.

Tony

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

#4657922 - 06/25/11 12:10 PM

Tony, Glad to hear It all worked out as planned. Your results will help others for sure. I never even considered Filters as a Vignetting source. I have the same as you (Lumicon OIII measures 41mm and a DGM NPB which measure 43mm). Even when threaded directly to the eyepiece there would still be Vignetting so I guess that's one trade off to using Filters. A worthy one though IMHO.

Mike

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
      #5620074 - 01/13/13 12:46 AM

Quote:

While searching for info on the filter wheel for visual use I didn't find much but I did find this thread, so I'll add another option to the list. The wheel can be joined to a WO diagonal using Baader part # T2-29.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I recently got the same FW and am having trouble joining it to the WO 2" diagonal as suggested by tonyt (Using the Baader T2/M48).

The diagonal uses the same T2 threads as the FW so I should be getting a T2/T2?

I was told there are 2 versions of the diagonal,older which uses the M48 thread while the new one uses T2. Heres a pict of my diagonal (nose piece end)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4860

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics