Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Guilford, Connecticut
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5154929 - 04/03/12 03:46 PM

I think Fred understands the wireless thing. It sounds like he's trying to get an idea what the "work-flow" of the software is like.

With the hand controller I turn on the scope and have to tell it the date and time each and every time I power up. Then I align the marks on the mount and either do a 2 star alignment or the quick align or what I usually do which is to choose "last alignment". If I'm looking at planets or bright DSO I don't bother with the GOTO. But it's still a pain to get started.

I'm hoping that the date, time and location information will be pulled off my iPhone. Then I can simply go to the align marks and 2 star alignment. And I'm hoping that for the 2 star alignment it will show me where in the sky those stars are. I haven't downloaded the app yet so I'm just imagining how it might work. But I always remember my old boss' saying "all software is inherently disappointing" and I'm trying to contain my expectaions.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Jim Romanski]
      #5154967 - 04/03/12 04:14 PM

Jim,

You must be talking about your CG-5 not remembering the date and time, because the CGEM has an internal clock that remembers that info. Yes, I think the SkyQ app is a planetarium program, so that will give you a 'map' of the sky. At least a good enough map to locate your alignment stars.

Stan

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5154984 - 04/03/12 04:25 PM

My CGEM DX does not keep the date and time once it's unplugged. It does show the last time that I input into it.

It might keep the time and date during my observing session if I switch it off but keep it plugged in. I haven't tried this yet. But everytime I wheel it out and plug it in I have to input it.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5155000 - 04/03/12 04:35 PM

Is your RTC turned on? It is supposed to keep time/date.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Stew57]
      #5155007 - 04/03/12 04:39 PM

I never turned it off. I'll have to check it next time I go out.

I don't see anything in the manual about an internal battery. What powers the RTC?

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5155152 - 04/03/12 06:44 PM

Jim,

The Real Time Clock is located in the utilities section listed as 'TURN ON/OFF RTC'.

Stan

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/04

Loc: Westchester, NY
      #5155167 - 04/03/12 06:56 PM

I have had some correspondence with Celestron about this device. According to them, the SkyQ Link will only work with iPad/Phone/Pod. It will NOT work with a PC. They tell me their engineers are "working on a version that will work with NexRemote" on a PC. This means you'd have to use the virtual port to link to PC-based planetarium programs.

I assume they will have one at NEAF and more information will be forthcoming.

hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
      #5155458 - 04/03/12 11:00 PM

It's obvious to me that much of the responses posted are pure guess work. I must admit tho that Stan is correct. I Don't get it but I question just how many of us do. I believ Jim hit the nail on the head stateing, "I think some of its function and how you will align your scope we're kind of guessing and surmising from Celestron's meager write-up." so I'll just wait for the unit to become available and see how it really Aligns your scope.
Fred

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: hamdul]
      #5155931 - 04/04/12 10:23 AM

Instead of pushing buttons on your hand controler to align the scope, to center alignment stars and press Enter and Align, you _press analogs of those buttons on a computer or phone or iPod_. It won't do a better alignment or automate anything, it will just allow you to use your cotton picking iPhone instead of the hardware NexStar HC. That is all.

Is that good? Well, at the very least, you don't have to worry about wrapping yourself up in the HC cord like a mummy like I sometimes do...

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: rmollise]
      #5155937 - 04/04/12 10:27 AM

You really get rapped up in your work, don't you Rod!

Stan

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5156072 - 04/04/12 12:04 PM

Well the RTC option was off on my CGEM DX so I turned it on. I entered the date and time then tried turning the mount power switch on and off. The date and time were maintained.

However, I unplugged the 12 volt power supply from the mount overnight and in the morning plugged it back in and checked. The date and time were NOT maintained and neeeded to be re-entered.

This is kind of what I expected. I didn't see anything in the manual that indicated that my mount had an internal battery for the purpose of saving and maintaining clock time. Every other electronic gadget including my PC has a small battery for the purpose of maintaining the internal clock.

Is this how the RTC works for everyone else? I suspect that if you use the GPS option the mount can pull the time and date off the GPS.

If the SkyQ Link can pull the data from my iPhone that would save me some hassle during setup.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5156095 - 04/04/12 12:22 PM

Jim,

The RTC on my CGEM has been on and keeping the proper day, date and time since Sept. of '09. The RTC is listed in my manual, dated 11/08, on page 30. You may have a bad battery. If you remove the 4 screws that hold on the control panel you will find the battery for the RTC.

Stan

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5156132 - 04/04/12 12:52 PM

Stan

My manual lists the RTC but it doesn't say anthing about a battery backup. I'll have to take off the panel and look for it.

It sure would be nice if it held this information. I'm outside trying to read the date and time off my watch everytime I set up. I know the sky very well and I don't really need the GOTO. But it would be nice to use it and lately I don't even try if it's a hassle to program everything from scratch.

Thanks

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5156160 - 04/04/12 01:14 PM Attachment (128 downloads)

Bad pic,but here it is...

hamdul
sage

#5156599 - 04/04/12 06:47 PM

O.k. Guys,
I just heard from celestron and Rod is right. The only thing this gadget does is use the I Pad et al in place of the hand control. Is this a plus? For me I don't think so. That HC is a lot smaller and easier to handle than lugging my Ipad. End of story
Fred

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

#5157754 - 04/05/12 02:27 PM

you can press a button on your controller, or press the screen of your iPad. Thats it. Nothing different.

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/04

Loc: Westchester, NY
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: faltered]
      #5159275 - 04/06/12 02:03 PM

I assume what it will do is drive an iDevice planetarium program, not just make the device a hand control wannabe. That way you could select objects on a sky map and the scope will slew.

I do that now with Cartes du Ciel using a bluetooth connection to a laptop/netbook. But it's Windows so the SkyQ Link won't be able to do it until they come out with a Windows version.

hamdul
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Larry F]
      #5160872 - 04/07/12 02:39 PM

I'm not sure why but I got a second response from Celestron to my query. For those of you interested I'll paste a copy of their response here.

Yes, for the alignment you will need to do the same process as if you were using the hand control. That is, for the SkyAlign you will slew the telescope wirelessly to the alignment stars and you will have to center them in the finderscope and then in the eyepiece through the telescope. We recommend that you download and read the Nexstar 8 SE Manual to get familiarized with the alignment.

Before I pass final judgement I'll wait for it to arrive in someone's hand, but from what I get from their response I fail to see the benefit. While I find Sky Q a great app I can't believe that operating the scope from my I Pad will be more convenient than from the hand control. But like I said we'll wait and see.
Fred

AhBok
sage

Reged: 12/02/10

#5161091 - 04/07/12 05:20 PM

A few years ago, a friend and I set up to catch an asteroid using a Mallincam. We connected his Nexstar11GPS to his computer running a planetarium program and placed the Mallincam on another PC and so that both star fields were coincident. When the asteroid appeared on the planetarium program, it was a simple adjustment on the Mallincam's gain control to find it. Once found, we could make changes in alt az to keep the asteroid in view. We later found Pluto the same way. I am sure there are many reasons people will want these, but if you have a deep sky video camera, I can see where having a wireless link would be handy. Public outreach is another.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5164960 - 04/10/12 10:41 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

So I opened up my CGEM DX cover plate and found that I do indeed have a battery backup. It looked to me as though the bottom contact was flattened out and not making contact with the battery. I took out the battery and bent the contact a bit so that it would make contact with the center of the battery. I put it back together and tested it...sure enough it seems to be holding the time date and location! I'm still interested in trying out the SkyQ Link but this will make things a bit simpler for now.

Thanks Stan!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26122

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics