Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
PCGuru
journeyman

Reged: 07/29/11

Loc: Bayside, NY
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: PoisonArrowFrog]
      #5330072 - 07/22/12 04:33 PM

PoisonArrowFrog,
Yes the documentation does say to use the router IP address but it is the Local Network IP address on your router you need to use. The Gateway: 76.178.107.198 is the Public IP assinged by your ISP to the router.
The 10.0.1.1 is the local network gateway address.

I still think you issue is related to a network configuration.

Since your IP subnet is 10.0.1.x I am assuming you are using an Apple AirPort as you main router.
On the apple router the default DHCP Scope is 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200.
All devices connecting to your Home Network with a cable or wifi will ask you router for an IP address and the router will assign an IP address between 2 and 200. It is always better to use static IPs outside of the DHCP scope. This way you avoid IP conflicts which can cause connection problems like you are having.

You are setting your SkyQ Link to 200 this is the last address in the range so it should be ok but it is still in the DHCP range. I will recommend doing an IP scan and see what IP addresses are already assigned or use IP address outside of the DHCP Scope Range.

This is very easy to do. You can download the free app 'FING' on your iPhone or iPad and run a scan and see what IP address are already assinged. You can also do this from your PC or MAC. Download "Advanced IP Scanner" or "Angry IP Scanner" and use that to do a IP scan.

When looking at the IP scan results the SkyQ shows 'Roving Network" as the vendor.

If you don't see the SkyQ then It will be a lot easier to just reset the SkyQ module and start over.

Set the SkyQ to 'Ad-HOC' (direct connect) mode
Connect it to your mount and power it ON

Reset Procedure:
Use a paper clip and reset the SkyQ module to default settings
Press & hold the reset button for 30 seconds
Release the reset button and wait 1 minute then turn the power off and on

Now Connect to the SkyQ Module
On you iPhone of iPad,
Connect to the "SkyQ" wifi network
once connected Open the SkyQ App on your device and reconfigure the Module to operate in "Infrastructure" access point mode
Tap Telescope
Tap Connection Settings
Tap Access Point Mode to turn it ON
Tap SkyQConnect Settings

Input your Wifi SSID and password
Input IP address as follows:
10.0.1.222 (IP Address)
255.255.255.0 (Subnet Mask)
10.0.1.1 (Gateway)
Save settings

Now wait 30 second then turn the mount off
On your iPad close the SkyQ App and reconnect to your Home Wifi connection
Double Tap your home button to bring up the multitasking bar
Tap and hold on any app icon until the icons are wiggling then tap on the red '-' to close the app
Go to Settings on your iPad Turn Wifi Off then On and reconnect to your HOME Wifi Connection
Once reconnected to your home wifi connection turn the mount back on but do not open the SkyQ app yet

First thing you want to do is to find out if the SkyQ moduel is properly connected
To do this you can run an IP scan using 'Fing' on the iPad/iPhone or IP scan on your PC/Mac. You should see IP Address 10.0.1.222 in list.
You can also ping the IP address,
On PC open command prompt and type PING 10.0.1.222
On MAC open Network utility or terminal to ping the IP address

If you get 'Replys' from the IP address it means that it is successfully connected to your Wifi Network

Now Open the SkyQ app on the iPhone/iPad and tap Telescope
Input IP Address 10.0.1.222 on the right and tap 'Connect to Telescope'

If you still have issues send me a message.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PoisonArrowFrog
journeyman

Reged: 07/21/12

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: PCGuru]
      #5330156 - 07/22/12 05:46 PM

PCGuru - thanks for the help.

I downloaded Fing for the iPhone. Cool app. It indicated that the SkyQ (Roving Networks) is on 10.0.1.200 which is what I expected based on what was indicated in the network utility on my MacBook Pro. I can ping it ok as well.

Mind you I have not been successful in connecting to the device in direct connect mode at all from the iPhone or iPad only from Windows 7 (under VMWare Fusion). That leads me to believe that it’s not a networking issue because that mode doesn’t use my local network at all.

In Windows I can get the SkyQLinkPC working most of the time with a virtual com 4 port. When I start NexRemote it will indicate “Initializing Firmware...” the SkyQLink icon lights flash indicating some sort of data being sent across the network to the scope and then I almost always get an error message “Unable to Communicate with Telescope”. I also installed the ASCOM driver and setup Microsoft World Wide Telescope but alas when I get to the point where WWT communicates with the telescope I get a similar message about being unable to connect to the scope.

I am now going a start over completely, reseting the device to factory settings and setting the ip to 10.0.1.222 based on your directions.

Tora

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Illinois
      #5330277 - 07/22/12 07:22 PM

I have been able to successfully configure SkyQLink for wifi network access based on PC Guru's information. (Thank you so much!)

A quick question though: While I have it configured perfectly for my iPad and iPhone, I also have a Windows 7 Laptop that I installed SkyQLink PC on. When I try to connect using this platform (using the same IP address on my iPhone/iPad) I keep getting no connection. I have tried it with COM 2-10 (sans COM4 as it indicates COM4 already exists. The TCP Port is listed as (default) 5555. Any suggestions? (I was able to connect with the SkyQ Link in direct connect mode and have set the SkyQLink ip address in the at 222 so as to avoid network conflicts - FYI

Thanks for your valuable advice and patience with those of us who are technologically challenged in this area...

PCGuru
journeyman

#5330315 - 07/22/12 07:48 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

I did not know that you were using VMWare Fusion. Your issue may be coming from the VMNet settings on the Windows Host.
By default VMWare Network interface is set to 'Share the Mac's Network Conneciton (NAT)". You need to change this setting to "Connect directly to the pysical network (bridged). Open Fusion and edit the network settings of your Windows Guest.
This should fix the NAT and Port issues when connecting to the SkyQ Module from your Windows 7 VM using SkyQ Link software.

Tora

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Tora]
      #5330331 - 07/22/12 07:59 PM

A quick review of the help file (for Windows users trying to get connected to SkyQLink) can be found by right clicking on the graphic representation of the SkyQLink Module on the screen. The help file states that the TCP Port should always be 2000. I reset the TCP Port setting to 2000 but still no luck. Any suggestions?

(Just to clarify PCGuru - there are two persons picking your brain for this - I wasn't sure if you were replying to me or PoisonArrowFrog)

PCGuru
journeyman

#5330334 - 07/22/12 08:00 PM

Tora,
Disable any Firewall program you are running on your PC and then try to connect.
If you are using Windows Firewall use this to disable it.
Open Command Prompt and type:

netsh firewall set opmode disable

This will disable the windows Firewall or you can do this from Control Panel.

If you are using a 3rd party firewall close it and try connecting to the SkyQ Module.

If you are able to connect then reconfigure the firewall to allow SkyLinkPC.

Let me know if you need instructions on how to do this.

Tora

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: PCGuru]
      #5330422 - 07/22/12 08:56 PM

Gave it a shot butI still keep getting the same message: "Error connecting to Host"

I was able to get the PC program to work in Direct Connect mode (Select SkyQLink network and connect using the IP of 1.2.3.4. but for some reason it won't connect in wifi mode. Not sure what the issue is but it is funny that I can get it to work in boh modes with my iPad and iPhone, but the PC version only seems to be working in Direct Connect mode. Hmmmmmmmmm

Edited by Tora (07/22/12 08:57 PM)

Tora

#5330438 - 07/22/12 09:12 PM

Update - I was able to get it to connect with a virtual port (COM 3) after I deleted an old one from my BlackBerry (RIM - Research in Motion) which was causing a conflict. Ostensibly, the device works now, but whenever I try to connect NexRemote to the telescope via SkyQLink I get a msg:

"Unable to communicate with Telescope"

I'll probably need to confer with someone from Celestron as they are the ones that made the program, but at least I have some of the conflicts resloved and my iPhone/iPad setup is good to go "as-is"

PoisonArrowFrog
journeyman

#5330494 - 07/22/12 09:55 PM

Thanks again PCGuru and others who have been trying to help me.

I took your suggestion, reset everything and assigned the IP to 10.0.1.222 and ... no joy.

After banging my head against the wall a few times I came to the realization that my temporary test set-up had my scope power hooked up to power supply of insufficient amperage.

I hooked it up to my car battery and bingo - everything worked fine! Direct connect mode, access point mode, Windows, iPad, and iPhone (alignment crashes on the iPhone but that appears to a known issue).

Totally my bad. Sorry Celestron - you rock.

I look forward to having fun with the SkyQ app!

k1uhf

Reged: 03/11/10

Loc: PA
      #5331884 - 07/23/12 06:42 PM

I gave up on getting the link to work as an access point. I tried it on two routers configuring it both with the phone app and the PC but I could never ping it. I didn't kill Windows firewall however but it didn't show up as a device on my router so I figured it never connected.

At this point I don't want to waste any more time on it as the link doesn't appear to have enough WiFi range to reach my router even though my phone works fine from where my telescope would be. But the main reason it is a waste of time is that the SkyQ phone app crashes on Align Continue on two different mounts on two differen iPhones.

It appears the app may work with Celestron's Az El mounts but not GEQ's. I have a CGEM and a CG5 GT and I have read that another person with a CGEM had the same problem and Celestron Support confirmed that other people had the crashing issue.

Does anyone have it working on a Celestron GEQ mount?

Thanks

Mike Kersten

Reged: 03/16/12

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: k1uhf]
      #5338628 - 07/27/12 03:33 PM

I just got mine today. Sweet!!! I have a CGEM DX. Set it up in drect mode first as shown in directions. Connected the Ipad to the Skydxx network and hit connect. Did an alignment and everything worked. Next I set up my access point setting to my local network including my password and hit save. It took serveral trys but it finslly connected but when I tried the alignment it would start and then fail. Turns out the signal from my wifi is week to my scope so I used some old wifi equiment to set up a network just for the observatory. I used an access point and an old router. Setup the access point to connect to my home wifi and plugged it into the observatory wireless using the modem port on the router. Then I went back to direct mode for the skyq link and reconfigured my connection settings to the new router and bingo! works like a champ. Make sure your signal is not too weak!!

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Guilford, Connecticut
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Jim Romanski]
      #5338822 - 07/27/12 05:51 PM

Update: Celestron contacted me and asked for more details on my problem. Then I sent them my iPhone crash files. They told me that their engineer was looking into it and would get back to me.

PoisonArrowFrog
journeyman

#5339385 - 07/28/12 01:56 AM

SkyQ iPhone app has just been updated. Fixes include crashing on alaignment. Woot.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5340469 - 07/28/12 06:10 PM

I updated mine this morning and just tried it out. I was able to do an alignment (indoors) with no crashes in direct connection mode. Of course now that the app is working it's pouring outside.

I'll check on more of its features and maybe tomorrow night the sky will clear.

k1uhf

Reged: 03/11/10

Loc: PA
      #5340670 - 07/28/12 09:13 PM

I just got the application update and it works with my CGEM!!!! YAAY

Could of saved hours of tearing hair out if they waited to release the link till they had the application working.

Very simple, does a 3 star align and you pick two stars to the West and one to the East. I did an indoor alignment so we have yet to see if it really works.

The WiFi range is very short, about like Bluetooth. 15' away and it lost the connection. The good news is you can get it back up without losing the alignment by with the phone's WiFi settings and the app.

Now I am still need to figure out if the hand control has any funtionality, I don't think it does and I think it will scramble everything if you try and use it.

As far as the access point mode I still have the problem of limited WiFi range and I have been unable to get it to join the network with two different routers.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/14/05

Loc: Boston MA
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: k1uhf]
      #5342257 - 07/29/12 07:32 PM

I downloaded version 2.0.02 Is this version with latest fixes??

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Jeff55]
      #5342401 - 07/29/12 09:17 PM

I don't think so. I updated mine and it says that it is SkyQ v2.0.7

Try going to updates and searching. It should update you to the newest version. I should add that I'm using an iPhone 4S not an iPad.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

#5343096 - 07/30/12 10:16 AM

Jim;
Thanks for response...just got update notice this morning...I'm still having trouble getting a connection and hope this newer version will help. I'm using an IPhone 4 with a CGEM.

Tora

#5343608 - 07/30/12 03:09 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. I updated mine and it says that it is SkyQ v2.0.7

Try going to updates and searching. It should update you to the newest version. I should add that I'm using an iPhone 4S not an iPad.

Just FYI, it is the same version number for both the iPhone and the iPad.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

#5344168 - 07/30/12 08:47 PM

The latest update makes SkyQ a snap to use...a really great piece of software.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27555

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics