Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
wrz0170
sage

Reged: 03/08/12

Loc: Bethlehem, Pa
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Jeff55]
      #5344223 - 07/30/12 09:31 PM

Does anyone have Sky Safari wifi and SkyQ for comparison?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
park

Reged: 08/20/11

Loc: Hangzhou, China
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: wrz0170]
      #5351347 - 08/04/12 08:29 AM

Does SkyQ work with SkySafari yet?

wrz0170
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: park]
      #5351391 - 08/04/12 09:24 AM

Quote:

I think Celestron has their own software for SkyQ. So I was wondering on the comparison between the two.

wrz0170
sage

#5352090 - 08/04/12 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think Celestron has their own software for SkyQ. So I was wondering on the comparison between the two.

Well, I decided that for $4.99 (price of a beer), to try the SkyQ iPad App and compare with Sky Safari. I might just go ahead and get the wireless and give it a good go. Worse comes to worse, sell off one of them?

park

Reged: 08/20/11

Loc: Hangzhou, China
      #5352252 - 08/04/12 08:41 PM

wrz0170,

That's very kind of you.

Look forward to your comparison review.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: park]
      #5352380 - 08/04/12 10:32 PM

One thing I did read a bit ago, was that you could not advance the time in the Cele app. It may seem trivial, but I use that function in Sky Safari quite a bit!

Just taking a cursory look around, i'd think that the Cele app may compare somewhat to the basic version of Sky Safari. I too would like to know if Sky Safari would work witht he Cele hardware.

Cheers!

Andy

wrz0170
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: budman1961]
      #5352854 - 08/05/12 10:33 AM

Quote:

One thing I did read a bit ago, was that you could not advance the time in the Cele app. It may seem trivial, but I use that function in Sky Safari quite a bit!

Just taking a cursory look around, i'd think that the Cele app may compare somewhat to the basic version of Sky Safari. I too would like to know if Sky Safari would work witht he Cele hardware.

Cheers!

Andy

Comparing it to basic Sky Safari is an excellent way of describing it. There are some things I like and things not crazy about.

One thing that separates SF is the very active participation of the developers on the Yahoo Forums. They take an interest and solicit ideas from their users for future updates. Big plus there.

I will be interested to see where Celestron takes their App

katie
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Southern Maryland
      #5362226 - 08/10/12 06:51 PM

Quote:

... One thing that separates SF is the very active participation of the developers on the Yahoo Forums. They take an interest and solicit ideas from their users for future updates. Big plus there....

+1 on SF taking a participative interest.

Curious. Has Celestron ever taken an interactive role (i.e. user forum, enhancing a product based on that forum, direct discussion with users) for any product? I am not referring to their knowledgebase, but a true forum.

My experience is that they throw products over the wall and let the consumers (using self-preservation forums and web sites) work out the nuances. Some users occasionally post a 2nd hand account of "Here is what Celestron told me...", but a Celestron response is a no-show.

Hey, maybe I am wrong, and if I am please correct me.

Mogster
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/14/04

Loc: Manchester, England
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: katie]
      #5391868 - 08/28/12 04:49 PM

So does this Celestron WIFI module work with Sky Safari?

I'd like the option to still use SS on the iPad for visual sessions and maybe operate the scope from the PC during imaging. There's no PC version of SS.

MarvinTheMartin

Reged: 10/29/10

Loc: Ohio 39*27'17.0" N 84*27'36.7"...
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Mogster]
      #5397080 - 08/31/12 05:45 PM

Better Yet, can I get it to work with SB TheSkyX PRO? And this is an answer to the guy having all the issues on the first couple pages of this. If you just walk around your scope and use the eyepiece the only advantage you gain is a sky map to see in the sky where you are going. If your an Imager or Mallancam guy/gal then this is a big plus. I have my laptop in the garage along with a 27" view sonic getting it's feed from my HDMI port on the laptop. I can have 3 windows side by side on that thing and a planetarium on my laptop screen. This is awesome. Can't wait to get one.

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: PoisonArrowFrog]
      #5482801 - 10/21/12 10:36 PM

I've been using the SkyQ for a few months. Using the NexRemote to align can be a painful experience...especially in the back, but once it is aligned, it is quite fun.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Gary Z]
      #5482923 - 10/22/12 12:10 AM

I'd posted to NexStar forum, but will summarize my experience with SkyQ Link (both the unit and App) after a couple of nights out on a 6/8SE:

* Unit is really nice and small
* No batteries required, direct plug in
* No need for the HC
* using iphone/ipad is intuitive
* Select *any* star on the screen to align
* modify and store HC parameter (backlash, goto directions, etc)
* The MAIN downside to the whole setup is the SkyQ app; it's usable and quite nice, but it is very unpolished. My main fear is that it's one of those s/w project that a company gets out the door to go along with a product, and as long as it works okay, there is absolutely NO incentive to improve on it at all. Some random pluses+ and minuses- follow:

+ all(?) scope parameters are accessible
+ really nice large direction keys on the 4 edges of the screen for slewing
+ pretty good audio guide, I hope they expand on it - at the very least they should merger the skyscout audio and info in the SkyQ
+ easy slew and speed change

- cannot replace alignment stars, only option is to align from start
- cluttered low-res map display; the 'smart label' which is suppose to hide certain labels until you zoom in does not work. Entire screen can be crammed with labels.
- stars to mag 7+ - that's it?
- general map display needs to be polished up
- distracting background images when selecting info on objects, ruins night vision.
- no generating user list for an observing session
- app should be ***free*** (as it is) it's almost useless as a standalone app (other than the audio info), and only serves to drive the SkyQ adapter ($99)
- please release an Android version as well!

Lancem

Reged: 03/17/11

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: core]
      #5503877 - 11/04/12 12:48 PM

Hi Peter (or anyone else!) Any updates on your use of the Skyq app and the Skyq link wireless unit? I presently use SkySafari Plus connected to my CPC 1100 with the Skywire unit. I love SS for visual observing but I still use the scope hand controller for GoTo functions. I just find that this works better than using SS for GoTo - it seems more accurate with the GoTos from the HC. Also, I often lose my connection with the SkyWire for no apparent reason - the app just informs me that the connection is lost. If the wireless unit solves these issues I would purchase it. I like the idea of not needing the hand controller.

My only other concern is that I love SkySafari for creating observing lists and logging my observations at the scope. Would I be able to switch back and forth between SkySafari ( for logging and lists) and Skyq (for scope control) without losing my alignment or experiencing any other problem. I am referring to just switching between the apps on the ipad. I wouldn't need to connect the skywire for the logging and observing lists. The ipad would only be connected to the scope via the skyq wireless. If so, I think I might have the best of both worlds between the two apps.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Guilford, Connecticut
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: core]
      #5505788 - 11/05/12 06:25 PM

Well I have not had as much luck with it as you.

I got my SkyQ Link a couple of months ago but the app was buggy and kept crashing. Celestron fixed it and the latest version doesn't crash.

I had only used it indoors to test for crashes but finally took it outside a few weeks ago to test. It did not crash on me and stayed connected the whole time. But I couldn't get it to align properly. I set it at the index marks and when I let it slew to the first alignment star it was way off. Same with the second star. After about 4 tries I finally had success letting the scope slew to Vega as the first alignment star. Not wanting to push it I had it go to Deneb. But to my surprise it turned the scope upside down and ended up bumping into the mount. So I never got a good alignment.

I did try turning the scope and the app off and on again a couple of times. Each time I did it told me that it had old alignment data and offered to use it if I wanted. Since I never got a good alignment I didn't elect to use it.

I'm using a Celestron CGEM DX mount and an iPhone 4S.

I finally got tired of messing with it and just manually found a few objects to look at before calling it a night.

I havenít tried using it since then. I only have so much time to try and debug a gadget before I put it away for a bit. I guess Iím ready to give it another try soon.

astronomy-shoppe.com
Vendor (astronomy-shoppe.com)

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: Plaistow, NH
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: hamdul]
      #5558462 - 12/06/12 11:19 PM

Well, we just got these in today and i am trying to set one up. I will post my findings

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: astronomy-shoppe.com]
      #5565007 - 12/10/12 10:20 PM

Works great for me, But I don't use the IOS app. I just use the PC software for a wireless connection to my mount with Nexremote. I am having an issue using the SkySync GPS module at the same time. I will post another topic about that issue. I do find, with the limited range, that a BlueTooth WiiSnap (Serial to Bluetooth from SerialIO) works just as well. I also have a SkyFi that works equally as well. I also never use the direct connect mode except for setup. I have the WiFi devices connect to my wireless network in the OB.

jrs

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: Matthews, NC 28104
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5588562 - 12/25/12 02:18 PM

I just got one of these for Christmas, and I think that I got a dud.

I have it set up in "Direct Connect" mode, and am connecting to the wi-fi network that it creates (SkyQLink-0a).

When I run the skyq app on my iPad 2 (or iPhone 4s) and click the Connect to Telescope I get a "Connection Failed" screen. I verified that the switch is "up" on the dongle, and that the app is set to "direct connection" in the connection settings.

I am using version 2.0.8 of the app.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: jrs]
      #5588579 - 12/25/12 02:40 PM

you need to connect to the skyq wifi network via your table or pc..

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5588582 - 12/25/12 02:42 PM

I find that the wifi module disconnects from my access point once in a while (AP is only 4ft away) which causes nexremote to lock up, then I loose my alignment... frustrating..

jrs

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: Matthews, NC 28104
      #5588695 - 12/25/12 05:05 PM

Quote:

you need to connect to the skyq wifi network via your table or pc..

Do you mean tablet? I tried with my iPad. Or are you saying that I need to use the nexstar software first?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26142

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics