Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
Celestron SkyQ Link
      #5145745 - 03/28/12 04:17 PM

I know it's early But does anyone have a SkyQ link. I'm curious as to how it aligns the telescope????
thanks
Fred

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: hamdul]
      #5145907 - 03/28/12 06:26 PM

Fred, Welcome to the Cloudy Nights forums! Glad you joined us here.

I'm sure that you will be getting some replies on your question about the SkyQLink soon, from our knowledgeable members.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5146011 - 03/28/12 07:45 PM

Fred,

The SkyQ does NOT align your mount. It is only a WiFi adapter that allows you to control your mount wirelessly using an iPad or iPhone.

Stan

hamdul
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5146045 - 03/28/12 08:05 PM

Stan,
This is taken from the Celestron Ad. "Telescope alignment - align your telescope wirelessly using Your iPhone or iPad"
Further in their instruction sheet they state, "Once Sky Q is connected to the telescope a screen is displayed allowing you to control and align the telescope. Do you read this differently than me?

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5146076 - 03/28/12 08:24 PM

You can align your mount wirelessly using the SkyQ app on your iPad or iPhone, or you can connect to a laptop or PC using NexRemote. The downloaded SkyQ app is a planetarium program that you can control your mount with. The SkyQ adapter is only the WiFi connection. You still must manually align the mount using the program on the selected hardware. The SkyQ does not do the alignment automatically for you.

Stan

hamdul
sage

#5146109 - 03/28/12 08:45 PM

Stan,
I'm still perplexed by this. At present I set up the scope, which is a Nexstar 8SE, and go thru the prelim. stuff. Then I select "Skyalign" I swing the scope to the first star, center it in my finder and push "Enter". Then I look in the eyepiece, center the star and push "Align". Then I'm asked to go to star number 2. I repeat the process for the 3 alignment stars.
My question is, What's different with this SkyQ module?
Fred

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5146118 - 03/28/12 08:53 PM

You can do it from your computer or iPad or iPhone.

Stan

hamdul
sage

#5146139 - 03/28/12 09:04 PM

Stan,
You can do what???? I don't understand. Does it just replace the hand control? do I still have to look thru my finder to center the objects? If these assumptions are correct what's the advantage?
It's begining to sound like a case of "If it ain't broke , dont fix it'.
Fred

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5146161 - 03/28/12 09:17 PM

Yes, It replaces the Hand Controller. Some people that do astrophotography will use WiFi devices to control their mounts. It makes for less cabling to the scope/mount. By using the WiFi and having cameras connected to the scope, you can sit in the comforts of your warm living room and control the scope. There are some other wireless devices available for telescopes too, but so far not all components are wireless yet. Some day it will be a completely wireless situation. I'm mostly a visual guy, so I'm standing next to my scope and look through the eyepeice the old fashion way.

Stan

hamdul
sage

#5146194 - 03/28/12 09:54 PM

Stan,
First, do you have one of these things?
Second you say, "you can sit in the comforts of your warm living room and control the scope." Now I ask, how do you align your scope sitting in the comforts of your warm living room???
Fred

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5146273 - 03/28/12 10:50 PM

By using a camera... Video or Still.

I don't have a skyq but Orion's version.

It's just a serial over WiFi adapter.

hamdul
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5146294 - 03/28/12 11:10 PM

Dave,
I don't believe the "Orion Version" is the same thing. Go to the Celestron web site to get the data on this item. They also have the instruction sheet that you can look at.
Fred

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5146343 - 03/28/12 11:48 PM

Ya, I am reading it.. its the same thing... except the Orion plugs into the hand controller only and only does Ad-Hoc mode for wireless. The Celestron can plug into the Aux port or HC port and does Ad-Hoc and bridged wireless..

The alignment they are talking about is using the SkyQ app or the southern stars app to do an alignment with your Ipad/iPhone/Android. You could also use nexremote on the PC to align the mount wirelessly.
I use TheSkyX as my planetarium program. Most programs don't do a 2 or 3 star alignment. You point at a star.. align it in the eyepiece and on the software click align.. That's it. The software is expecting your mount to be polar aligned so 1 star is fine. When you go through the alignment routine on the HC, it is making a map of the sky however your mount is positioned. Nexremote will mimick your HC though and do multistar alignments.

Tom Mengel

Reged: 06/17/10

Loc: Centennial CO (S. Denver)
      #5154155 - 04/03/12 03:05 AM

You have to do the initial alignment by hand - The Sky Q just links your iPhone/iPad to the telescope controller. That allows you to use the Southern Star App to listen for and interpret the pointing data that the controller sends out every half second or so to sync the OTA position to the iPhone/iPad screen. In the case of GOTO scopes you can also issue commands from the iPhone/iPad (using the application screen) to let the controller know what you want to point to and track the position visually while it slews into position.

The Sky Q just acts like a wireless WiFi "cable" between the telescope controller and the iPhone/iPab and has no "brains" in of itself to do any alignment. You will still have to set up the initial alignment (the old fashion way - hand aiming the scope to the chosen alignment stars and telling the controller the star in centered in the field) before you can start to use the Sky Q link.

Hope this helps.

hamdul
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Tom Mengel]
      #5154394 - 04/03/12 09:44 AM

Guys, I have read all your post and it seems the concensus is that you still have to do the alignment by hand, the old fashion way. However I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the Celestron claim, "Telescope alignment - align your telescope wirelessly using Your iPhone or iPad"
What does that mean????
Fred

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5154402 - 04/03/12 09:50 AM

Fred...Instead of using the Hand Controller to align the mount, you use your phone, or iPad, or computer.

hamdul
sage

#5154435 - 04/03/12 10:17 AM

Stan,
I have an I pad. I have the Sky Q app installed on the I pad. If I had a Sky Q link I would plug that into the Telescop AUX Port or HC. I then follow all the instruction ending with "tap the connect to telescope button" Then the instructions say, " Once Sky Q app is connected to the telescope a screen is displayed allowing you to control and align your telescope. You can manually move the telescope using the direction buttons and the slew rate slider control. Press the Align Telescope button and follow the directions to complete the alignment process."
My questio is, what are those alignment instuctions going to say? Are they going to say, "Locate the 1st alignment star in the finder". If thats the case what's the purpose of getting the "Link" only to end up aligning the scope the old fashioned way?
Fred

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Guilford, Connecticut
      #5154457 - 04/03/12 10:31 AM

Fred

I have a SkyQ Link on order. It was supposed to ship late March then the website said early April. I just looked and it says April 24th. So to my knowledge, nobody has received one yet. Maybe a dealer or a reviewer but I haven't heard from anyone who has one yet.

I think some of its function and how you will align your scope we're kind of guessing and surmising from Celestron's meager write-up.

I decided to order one because I have 2 Celestron mounts and it's pretty inexpensive. Perhaps they'll have them at NEAF to look at. But for now I'm just waiting to get mine.

hamdul
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Jim Romanski]
      #5154597 - 04/03/12 11:43 AM

Jim,
I think some of its function and how you will align your scope we're kind of guessing and surmising from Celestron's meager write-up.
Smart words and right on.
Bye the way have you downloaded the instruction sheet from their site?
Fred

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5154626 - 04/03/12 11:59 AM

Fred, I see that you just don't get it. Actually it is not the same as 'the old fashion way'...it's wireless. Someday you may come to understand this and why some find this way appealing. As for now...I give up.

Stan

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5154929 - 04/03/12 03:46 PM

I think Fred understands the wireless thing. It sounds like he's trying to get an idea what the "work-flow" of the software is like.

With the hand controller I turn on the scope and have to tell it the date and time each and every time I power up. Then I align the marks on the mount and either do a 2 star alignment or the quick align or what I usually do which is to choose "last alignment". If I'm looking at planets or bright DSO I don't bother with the GOTO. But it's still a pain to get started.

I'm hoping that the date, time and location information will be pulled off my iPhone. Then I can simply go to the align marks and 2 star alignment. And I'm hoping that for the 2 star alignment it will show me where in the sky those stars are. I haven't downloaded the app yet so I'm just imagining how it might work. But I always remember my old boss' saying "all software is inherently disappointing" and I'm trying to contain my expectaions.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5154967 - 04/03/12 04:14 PM

Jim,

You must be talking about your CG-5 not remembering the date and time, because the CGEM has an internal clock that remembers that info. Yes, I think the SkyQ app is a planetarium program, so that will give you a 'map' of the sky. At least a good enough map to locate your alignment stars.

Stan

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5154984 - 04/03/12 04:25 PM

My CGEM DX does not keep the date and time once it's unplugged. It does show the last time that I input into it.

It might keep the time and date during my observing session if I switch it off but keep it plugged in. I haven't tried this yet. But everytime I wheel it out and plug it in I have to input it.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5155000 - 04/03/12 04:35 PM

Is your RTC turned on? It is supposed to keep time/date.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Stew57]
      #5155007 - 04/03/12 04:39 PM

I never turned it off. I'll have to check it next time I go out.

I don't see anything in the manual about an internal battery. What powers the RTC?

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5155152 - 04/03/12 06:44 PM

Jim,

The Real Time Clock is located in the utilities section listed as 'TURN ON/OFF RTC'.

Stan

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/04

Loc: Westchester, NY
      #5155167 - 04/03/12 06:56 PM

I have had some correspondence with Celestron about this device. According to them, the SkyQ Link will only work with iPad/Phone/Pod. It will NOT work with a PC. They tell me their engineers are "working on a version that will work with NexRemote" on a PC. This means you'd have to use the virtual port to link to PC-based planetarium programs.

I assume they will have one at NEAF and more information will be forthcoming.

hamdul
sage

#5155458 - 04/03/12 11:00 PM

It's obvious to me that much of the responses posted are pure guess work. I must admit tho that Stan is correct. I Don't get it but I question just how many of us do. I believ Jim hit the nail on the head stateing, "I think some of its function and how you will align your scope we're kind of guessing and surmising from Celestron's meager write-up." so I'll just wait for the unit to become available and see how it really Aligns your scope.
Fred

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5155931 - 04/04/12 10:23 AM

Instead of pushing buttons on your hand controler to align the scope, to center alignment stars and press Enter and Align, you _press analogs of those buttons on a computer or phone or iPod_. It won't do a better alignment or automate anything, it will just allow you to use your cotton picking iPhone instead of the hardware NexStar HC. That is all.

Is that good? Well, at the very least, you don't have to worry about wrapping yourself up in the HC cord like a mummy like I sometimes do...

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: rmollise]
      #5155937 - 04/04/12 10:27 AM

You really get rapped up in your work, don't you Rod!

Stan

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5156072 - 04/04/12 12:04 PM

Well the RTC option was off on my CGEM DX so I turned it on. I entered the date and time then tried turning the mount power switch on and off. The date and time were maintained.

However, I unplugged the 12 volt power supply from the mount overnight and in the morning plugged it back in and checked. The date and time were NOT maintained and neeeded to be re-entered.

This is kind of what I expected. I didn't see anything in the manual that indicated that my mount had an internal battery for the purpose of saving and maintaining clock time. Every other electronic gadget including my PC has a small battery for the purpose of maintaining the internal clock.

Is this how the RTC works for everyone else? I suspect that if you use the GPS option the mount can pull the time and date off the GPS.

If the SkyQ Link can pull the data from my iPhone that would save me some hassle during setup.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5156095 - 04/04/12 12:22 PM

Jim,

The RTC on my CGEM has been on and keeping the proper day, date and time since Sept. of '09. The RTC is listed in my manual, dated 11/08, on page 30. You may have a bad battery. If you remove the 4 screws that hold on the control panel you will find the battery for the RTC.

Stan

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5156132 - 04/04/12 12:52 PM

Stan

My manual lists the RTC but it doesn't say anthing about a battery backup. I'll have to take off the panel and look for it.

It sure would be nice if it held this information. I'm outside trying to read the date and time off my watch everytime I set up. I know the sky very well and I don't really need the GOTO. But it would be nice to use it and lately I don't even try if it's a hassle to program everything from scratch.

Thanks

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5156160 - 04/04/12 01:14 PM Attachment (128 downloads)

Bad pic,but here it is...

hamdul
sage

#5156599 - 04/04/12 06:47 PM

O.k. Guys,
I just heard from celestron and Rod is right. The only thing this gadget does is use the I Pad et al in place of the hand control. Is this a plus? For me I don't think so. That HC is a lot smaller and easier to handle than lugging my Ipad. End of story
Fred

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

#5157754 - 04/05/12 02:27 PM

you can press a button on your controller, or press the screen of your iPad. Thats it. Nothing different.

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/04

Loc: Westchester, NY
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: faltered]
      #5159275 - 04/06/12 02:03 PM

I assume what it will do is drive an iDevice planetarium program, not just make the device a hand control wannabe. That way you could select objects on a sky map and the scope will slew.

I do that now with Cartes du Ciel using a bluetooth connection to a laptop/netbook. But it's Windows so the SkyQ Link won't be able to do it until they come out with a Windows version.

hamdul
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Larry F]
      #5160872 - 04/07/12 02:39 PM

I'm not sure why but I got a second response from Celestron to my query. For those of you interested I'll paste a copy of their response here.

Yes, for the alignment you will need to do the same process as if you were using the hand control. That is, for the SkyAlign you will slew the telescope wirelessly to the alignment stars and you will have to center them in the finderscope and then in the eyepiece through the telescope. We recommend that you download and read the Nexstar 8 SE Manual to get familiarized with the alignment.

Before I pass final judgement I'll wait for it to arrive in someone's hand, but from what I get from their response I fail to see the benefit. While I find Sky Q a great app I can't believe that operating the scope from my I Pad will be more convenient than from the hand control. But like I said we'll wait and see.
Fred

AhBok
sage

Reged: 12/02/10

#5161091 - 04/07/12 05:20 PM

A few years ago, a friend and I set up to catch an asteroid using a Mallincam. We connected his Nexstar11GPS to his computer running a planetarium program and placed the Mallincam on another PC and so that both star fields were coincident. When the asteroid appeared on the planetarium program, it was a simple adjustment on the Mallincam's gain control to find it. Once found, we could make changes in alt az to keep the asteroid in view. We later found Pluto the same way. I am sure there are many reasons people will want these, but if you have a deep sky video camera, I can see where having a wireless link would be handy. Public outreach is another.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5164960 - 04/10/12 10:41 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

So I opened up my CGEM DX cover plate and found that I do indeed have a battery backup. It looked to me as though the bottom contact was flattened out and not making contact with the battery. I took out the battery and bent the contact a bit so that it would make contact with the center of the battery. I put it back together and tested it...sure enough it seems to be holding the time date and location! I'm still interested in trying out the SkyQ Link but this will make things a bit simpler for now.

Thanks Stan!

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5193199 - 04/27/12 11:04 AM

Quote:

I have a SkyQ Link on order. It was supposed to ship late March then the website said early April. I just looked and it says April 24th.

Well I just checked and now it says they'll ship May 22nd.

I'm going to NEAF tomorrow. If they have them there I'll get one and cancel my order.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5203494 - 05/03/12 10:39 AM

There were NO SkyQ Links at NEAF. I spoke to someone at Celestron who told me not to be surprised if they miss the May shipping estimate as well. He didn't say why but they're still waiting.

Poconut
sage

Reged: 12/24/09

Loc: Pocono Mountains, PA, USA
      #5213641 - 05/09/12 12:06 PM

At present this seems like a pretty USELESS device to me, since I do not have an iPhone or iPad ... no intention of getting one either. Hopefully the delay in shipping is due to Celestron working the bugs out to allow connection to a home wireless network.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Poconut]
      #5213887 - 05/09/12 02:08 PM

If you go to their website: http://www.celestron.com/portal/skyq-link.html and go to the support tab you can download the one page manual.

It claims you can set it up as an access point to control your telescope via Celestronís NexRemote.

I'm going to keep my order active and wait until this thing ships. Hopefully I'll get one by early June.

Poconut
sage

Reged: 12/24/09

Loc: Pocono Mountains, PA, USA
      #5214034 - 05/09/12 03:22 PM

Quote:

If you go to their website: http://www.celestron.com/portal/skyq-link.html and go to the support tab you can download the one page manual.

It claims you can set it up as an access point to control your telescope via Celestronís NexRemote.

I read that before, it refers you to a support link that has zero information on NexRemote or home wireless network connection.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Poconut]
      #5216742 - 05/11/12 09:12 AM

Quote:

At present this seems like a pretty USELESS device to me, since I do not have an iPhone or iPad ... no intention of getting one either. Hopefully the delay in shipping is due to Celestron working the bugs out to allow connection to a home wireless network.

Depends. If you use NexRemote it would be very useful, since, according to the (short) instruction sheet Celestron has released, it can be used with NexRemote on your PC...

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5228075 - 05/18/12 10:24 AM

And they are going to miss the May shipping date.

The new ship date is June 11th. Probably wont start holding my breath.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5262108 - 06/08/12 03:27 PM

And the latest from the website: Ships Jun. 29th | Arrives Jul. 3rd

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5269964 - 06/13/12 05:32 PM

I just got the shipping confirmation email! It should get here by Friday.

Since this gadget has no glass maybe the new equipment curse will spare me and I can get out this weekend. Will report back if I do.

rcdk

Reged: 11/13/10

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: faltered]
      #5270807 - 06/14/12 08:42 AM

Looks like the Chinese ripped off SkySafari/SkyFi (or it was licensed to them) and added some features.

Your hand controller isn't a planetarium app. Plus it probably has far more objects than your hand controller.

Quote:

you can press a button on your controller, or press the screen of your iPad. Thats it. Nothing different.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5272245 - 06/15/12 02:34 AM

Right now there is a bug using nexremote and serial over IP emulation. It will be a bit before Celestron releases a version of nextremote that works with the SkyQ using serial over IP emulation. Native Serial over IP support for nexremote will be a longer process..

Celestron needs to get the SkyQ app updated to allow telescope control.. They released the hardware but have not updated the SkyQ app software..

Quote:

Depends. If you use NexRemote it would be very useful, since, according to the (short) instruction sheet Celestron has released, it can be used with NexRemote on your PC...

k1uhf

Reged: 03/11/10

Loc: PA
      #5277828 - 06/18/12 09:40 PM

Celestron just told me they are still not shipping and it would be another month, they told me that a month ago at the NEAF show.

Hope it gets the GPS location from the phone and will work with other apps like SkySafari, or with any PC planetarium app.

telfish
sage

Reged: 11/17/10

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: k1uhf]
      #5278429 - 06/19/12 08:49 AM

I tried the skyq app with sky safari and it does not work. The telescope option does not show at all.

I am guessing it relies on the skyQ adaper to send an identifying code.

PCGuru
journeyman

Reged: 07/29/11

Loc: Bayside, NY
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: telfish]
      #5283126 - 06/21/12 11:46 PM

I spoke with Celestron tech support on June 19 and they said the update should be available June 29.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: PCGuru]
      #5283931 - 06/22/12 02:08 PM

I plugged mine in to my CGEM DX and it shows up as a wireless access point. I can connect to it with my iPhone and my PC just fine.

I thought that maybe while waiting for Celestron to release the new SkyQ app version I'd go ahead and download NexRemote and try that out. I downloaded and installed it but NexRemote doesn't seem to have wireless support yet either.

Guess I'll sit back and wait.

wdfly
journeyman

Reged: 06/22/12

#5286699 - 06/24/12 12:43 PM

I received my skyQ link Friday and have yet to get it to work with starmap pro or starmap HD for the iPad. The skyq app doesnt have the telescope controls that the instructions say it should so I guess I either wait or try to find the trick to getting starmap to work with it.

jeffyen

Reged: 03/01/08

Loc: Singapore
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: wdfly]
      #5287983 - 06/25/12 08:00 AM

Yup we need to wait for the revised app. I emailed the developer and it'll be coming...

wdfly
journeyman

Reged: 06/22/12

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: jeffyen]
      #5289020 - 06/25/12 07:47 PM

Thanks for the post I'll just wait till it gets updated.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/14/05

Loc: Boston MA
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: wdfly]
      #5293490 - 06/28/12 03:47 PM

Just checked my dealer site...arrival now listed as July 24th...not sure if that's opptimistic.

JFestrunk

Reged: 08/31/07

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Jeff55]
      #5301025 - 07/03/12 05:52 PM

I can't find the link from the Celestron site, but if you search for "SkyQ Link" there's a page for it:

It says that SkyQ Link supports NexRemote, but you need the latest version and then some other program "SkyQLinkPC Installer." I'm not sure what that is...

If anyone has a SkyQ Link that was going to use it with NexRemote, I'd be interested in knowing what your success or failure is with this setup, as I'm considering it for a similar use...

JFestrunk

germana1
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: JFestrunk]
      #5301309 - 07/03/12 09:48 PM

Update for the app has been released now has settings for mount.
Pete

jeffyen

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: germana1]
      #5301321 - 07/03/12 09:53 PM

Looks cool! Will hopefully try this weekend...

-------------------------------------
What's New in Version 2.0

SkyQ now supports wireless control of Celestron computerized telescopes that have an available AUX port or HC port (*), and the Celestron SkyQ Link wireless module (purchased separately).

ē Supports connections to the SkyQ Link via direct connection or through an existing wireless access point

ē Align the telescope using a guided alignment process within planetarium view to aid in selecting and centering alignment stars

ē Once aligned, select and then move the telescope to objects you find in the planetarium view or from object databases

ē Provides full control of telescope and telescope settings similar to existing hand controller

ē No need for existing hand controller (For SE 4/5, the hand controller must remain pluged into fork arm during use)

(*) NOTE: SkyQ Link is designed to replace the Hand Controller on your telescope, and plugs into an available AUX port OR Hand Controller port on Advanced Series GT and LCM models.

(*) For NexStar SE 4/5 models, the Hand Controller must remain plugged in, and SkyQ Link installs into the AUX port.

(*) SkyQ Link is NOT COMPATIBLE with NexStar GT Models.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skyq/id445142851?mt=8

k1uhf

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link doesn't align with a CGEM new [Re: hamdul]
      #5301996 - 07/04/12 10:29 AM

So far the SkyQ link slews a scope but doesn't align! I purchased the WiFi SkyQ-link a couple of weeks ago and had the app installed in my iPhone, BUT there was no provision to control a telescope making the link totally useless.

Yesterday they provided an update to the app that does have telescope control! YAAY

Now it does connect to the scope and slew but the app crashes (vanishes from the screen) on trying to align the scope. I tested it in direct mode both with and without the hand control, in both the Aux and HC ports, with and without the HC. I rebooted the phone and restarted the link and app several times and the app always crashed when I tried to align the scope.

The app did control the scope nicely and the interface is very cool. It even has provision to use the date, time and GPS location from the phone! Maybe they haven't tested it with a CGEM, I will contact thier support.

Bottom line is I would recommend the app but I wouldn't rush out and get the interface until they get the bugs out.

I will post again if they get it to work. Hopefully it will someday work with other apps and with an Ascom interface on a PC.

More later,
Del Schier

Tora

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Illinois
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link doesn't align with a CGEM new [Re: k1uhf]
      #5302034 - 07/04/12 10:51 AM

I played around with it this morning and it appeared to align fine (although it only appears to have the option for 3 star align). I'm using a CPC 1100 with an alt-azm mount so maybe that is the difference?

k1uhf

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link doesn't align with a CGEM new [Re: Tora]
      #5302306 - 07/04/12 02:09 PM

I have been messing with it almost all day, it crashes in direct connect everytime I try and align. The app vanishes from the iPhone screen.

I have been trying to get it to run in access point mode with no success. I did discover it wasn't able to get across the house to my iPhone so I moved the mount next to my gateway with no success.

I did find an virtual serial port app on the Celestron site and wanted to try it with the PC but think I have to have it on my WiFi network.

So far it doesn't appear to do anything I would want it to do or they say it does. If it did work with everything it appears the WiFi doesn't have the range of my other devices so I can't use it with the phone connected to the web.

Let's see what thier support says.

Thanks for the feedback and hope my comments help someone else.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: JFestrunk]
      #5302734 - 07/04/12 06:26 PM

The "Installer" is to allow NexRemote to work with Wifi/Sky Q Link on a PC and is available for download from the SkyQ Link support page.

Rfkstar

Reged: 07/11/10

Loc: New Jersey USA
      #5303957 - 07/05/12 03:27 PM

I am going out tonight to use the sky q. I've done mock alignments and works fine on a nexstar 8 se, and by the way you unplug the controller and don't use it at all. To save power, it does a 3 star alignment and all the settings are on the app. I pad and scope. The test is to see how good it hits in the sky .

k1uhf

Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Rfkstar]
      #5305702 - 07/06/12 04:34 PM

I have gotten feedback from Celestron support and they asked for my phone's crash reports for the SkyQ app. It crashes every time I try to align my CGEM!

Also I have been trying to get it to work as a virtual serial port with thier PC app, no joy.

I have spent hours trying to get it to operatate in access point mode also with no luck. The PC configuration routine reads back the configuration and apparently the phone has not been saving that data to the link. The PC app does save the data but not the encryption type as the phone app does so it still has not connected to, or appeared on my LAN.

But I guess I should expect this being a new user of a new product.

Did anyone get SkyQ to work with a GEM mount? Did anyone get the virtual serial port to work with any app? Did anyone get the link to join a LAN as an access point?

Thanks,
Del Schier

jeffyen

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: k1uhf]
      #5306366 - 07/07/12 06:38 AM

k1uhf, could this be due to Apple's recent trouble with apps, and may not have anything to do with the integrity of the app itself? They pushed out versions which caused the apps. I was given a new copy of skyq automatically at the App Store's 'updates'. Maybe you can check it out.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/05/apple-working-on-fix-for-corrupted-app-store-downloads/

telfish
sage

Reged: 11/17/10

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: jeffyen]
      #5306415 - 07/07/12 08:22 AM

Can someone tell me what IP address and port number the skyq uses. I am trying to get the app to work with a skyfi unit.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5311178 - 07/10/12 10:28 AM

Quote:

I have gotten feedback from Celestron support and they asked for my phone's crash reports for the SkyQ app. It crashes every time I try to align my CGEM!

That's what happens to me with my CGEM DX. I can control the mount but the moment I tap the align button the app crashes.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: telfish]
      #5311181 - 07/10/12 10:29 AM

Quote:

Can someone tell me what IP address and port number the skyq uses. I am trying to get the app to work with a skyfi unit.

When I switched modes using the SkyQ App it displayed an IP address. I don't know about the port.

k1uhf

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Jim Romanski]
      #5314762 - 07/12/12 05:25 PM

Been going around and around with Celestron support on email and phone, still no joy. The app still crashes on align, the link will not operate as an access point, and the link connects but doesn't work on a PC with thier NexRemote program. Not to mention there is no functionallity with SkySafari on the phone or with Stellarium or Starry Night on the PC.

I will keep after them but I am wondering if I have both hardware (SkyQ link) and software issues with the whole package.

jeffyen

#5314790 - 07/12/12 05:53 PM

Perhaps you can contact John of Pocket Universe who's the developer? http://www.craicdesign.com/news

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5317396 - 07/14/12 12:40 PM

I'm having the same trouble. This is what I wrote to Celestron:
I bought the SkyQ Link and downloaded the SkyQ App. I am able to link to the telescope in Direct Connection Mode. I can move the telescope with the slewing arrows or use the Home button. But when I try to use Align the App crasshes. I tap align and it takes me to a screen that shows my time and location. Then I tap continue and get booted out of the App. I repeated this several times. I also tried unpluggin the hand controller but the same thing happens. I then tried to use the Access Point Mode but I am unable to connect to the telescope that way. I tried setting up my Wifi connection while in direct connection mode then turning off the telescope and swithcing to Access Point Mode. After I do this I cannot connect.

I submitted this to both Celestron SkyQ Link Support and the SkyQ App Support.

I tried to send a message to the Pocket Universe developer but I couldn't figure out how. I got a Wordpress login but couldn't login to his Blog.

Now I'll wait to hear from Celestron. I may take out the scope and see if I can align it with the hand controller and then use it with the App. I am skeptical that this will work.

k1uhf

#5322890 - 07/17/12 11:55 PM

Still no luck for me with the iPhone SkyQ app, it crashes trying to align the mount, however the link does work with a PC.

I have tried the app dozens of times on two different mounts, both GEQ, a CGEM and a CG5 GT, and with the link on two different iPhones, a 4S 16 and a 4. Same problem every time, the app crashes (vanishes from the screen) whenever you hit Align, then Continue after connecting to the telescope. The app does slew the telescope however.

The NexRemote PC program does work with the WiFi interface on two different mounts and two different PCs. BTW do not use the download for NexRemote on Celestron's download page, you must get version 1.7.22 from the link on the SkyQ page.

The cool thing about using SkyQ link with the NexRemote program, which is nothing more than a virtual hand control, is that it emulates a virtual serial port that allows you to use it with any ASCOM program, or Stellarium; wirelessly.

The problem with the NexRemote program is that you cannot use the mount with the hand control at all. Touching the hand control kills the link to the NexRemote virtual hand control and forces you to re-do the star align. You cannot use the link's TCPIP serial interface directly to an ASCOM setup without the NexRemote program in place of the hand control.

Also setting up the link to run on a WiFi network as a access point simply doesn't work. I tried on two different routers tried configuring the link with both the phone app and the PC app. It simply doesn't work, I have spent hours on this and had someone checking what I was doing with IP numbers and keys and stuff. Doesn't work!

If someone has found anything different please let me know or post here.

Celestron does admit that I am not the only one having these problems.

Del Schier

Edited by k1uhf (07/18/12 08:08 PM)

PoisonArrowFrog
journeyman

Reged: 07/21/12

#5329070 - 07/21/12 11:21 PM

I have been having problems getting the SkyQ Link working properly over my wifi network as an access point (across my network).

SkyQ Link PC gives an error: "Error connecting to host" about 50% of the time. When it does connect NexRemote indicates "Unable to communicate with telescope" about 95% of the time. It has worked fine on a couple of occasions but I have not resolved what case results in success and what case results in failure.

On my iPad it almost always fails to connect. On a couple of occasions it actually worked so I'm holding on to some hope. The same holds true with the app on my iPhone 4S however if it successfully connects it will then crash when I choose to align the scope.

I've gone through the steps outlined in the documentation and a few that I found from people having similar issues on telescope forum web sites. I did the following:

(1) I had to rename the SSID of my network so there were no spaces in the name because the SkyQ Link apparently doesnt allow for spaces in the name.

(2) I updated my CG-5 Mount to the latest version 5.20 and the handset to GEM 4.21 assuming that might be my problem. It didnt fix the problems.

(3) I can consistently ping the SkyQ Link even when I cannot connect to the scope through it.

(4) I can read the information from the SkyQ Link. But again it will almost always fail when trying to connect to the scope:

1. Checking connectivity to module...
Attempting to connect to SkyQLink at IP Address: 10.0.1.200
Connected!
Checking Version Information...
SkyQ Version: <2.40-CEL>

2. Reading WiFi Settings from module...
Attempting to connect to SkyQLink at IP Address: 10.0.1.200
Connected!
Reading Settings...
SSID: The_Matrix
Password: AAAAAAAAAA
IP Addr: 10.0.1.200
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 76.178.107.198

PCGuru
journeyman

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: PoisonArrowFrog]
      #5329217 - 07/22/12 02:33 AM

Check the IP address, your gateway address is wrong
IP Addr: 10.0.1.200
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 76.178.107.198 (wrong), it should be 10.0.1.x

If you are on a windows computer open command prompt, type ipconfig and press enter. Write down the gateway address

On a Mac go to system preferences and click network

Once you have the gateway address

Open the SkyQ app on your iPad or iPhone
Tap Telescope then connection settings
Tap SkyQ connection settings and enter the correct gateway address.

jeffyen

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: PCGuru]
      #5329299 - 07/22/12 05:01 AM

Here's my data point; I tried it last night after many many cloudy nights.

Equipment: Nexstar 8SE, iPad Retina

No problems with aligning, the SkyQ replaces the hand controller. GoTo using the SkyQ app is quite a gamechanger...

Issue: The process of entering the IP numbers etc. of the available wifi is going to stump many; I think the manual needs to be more 'elaborate'...

PoisonArrowFrog
journeyman

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: jeffyen]
      #5329604 - 07/22/12 11:00 AM

Thanks PCGuru.

The documentation for setting up the SkyQ says to use the router ip address for the gateway which was the number that I had. However I followed the proceure you specified and got an address of 10.0.1.1 so I am now using that. Still I get exactly the same results - cannot connect

Also when I use the iPad app I cannot connect in "direct connection" mode to my scope at all so I cannot set the correct gateway address in the app.

PCGuru
journeyman

#5330072 - 07/22/12 04:33 PM

PoisonArrowFrog,
Yes the documentation does say to use the router IP address but it is the Local Network IP address on your router you need to use. The Gateway: 76.178.107.198 is the Public IP assinged by your ISP to the router.
The 10.0.1.1 is the local network gateway address.

I still think you issue is related to a network configuration.

Since your IP subnet is 10.0.1.x I am assuming you are using an Apple AirPort as you main router.
On the apple router the default DHCP Scope is 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200.
All devices connecting to your Home Network with a cable or wifi will ask you router for an IP address and the router will assign an IP address between 2 and 200. It is always better to use static IPs outside of the DHCP scope. This way you avoid IP conflicts which can cause connection problems like you are having.

You are setting your SkyQ Link to 200 this is the last address in the range so it should be ok but it is still in the DHCP range. I will recommend doing an IP scan and see what IP addresses are already assigned or use IP address outside of the DHCP Scope Range.

This is very easy to do. You can download the free app 'FING' on your iPhone or iPad and run a scan and see what IP address are already assinged. You can also do this from your PC or MAC. Download "Advanced IP Scanner" or "Angry IP Scanner" and use that to do a IP scan.

When looking at the IP scan results the SkyQ shows 'Roving Network" as the vendor.

If you don't see the SkyQ then It will be a lot easier to just reset the SkyQ module and start over.

Set the SkyQ to 'Ad-HOC' (direct connect) mode
Connect it to your mount and power it ON

Reset Procedure:
Use a paper clip and reset the SkyQ module to default settings
Press & hold the reset button for 30 seconds
Release the reset button and wait 1 minute then turn the power off and on

Now Connect to the SkyQ Module
On you iPhone of iPad,
Connect to the "SkyQ" wifi network
once connected Open the SkyQ App on your device and reconfigure the Module to operate in "Infrastructure" access point mode
Tap Telescope
Tap Connection Settings
Tap Access Point Mode to turn it ON
Tap SkyQConnect Settings

Input your Wifi SSID and password
Input IP address as follows:
10.0.1.222 (IP Address)
255.255.255.0 (Subnet Mask)
10.0.1.1 (Gateway)
Save settings

Now wait 30 second then turn the mount off
On your iPad close the SkyQ App and reconnect to your Home Wifi connection
Double Tap your home button to bring up the multitasking bar
Tap and hold on any app icon until the icons are wiggling then tap on the red '-' to close the app
Go to Settings on your iPad Turn Wifi Off then On and reconnect to your HOME Wifi Connection
Once reconnected to your home wifi connection turn the mount back on but do not open the SkyQ app yet

First thing you want to do is to find out if the SkyQ moduel is properly connected
To do this you can run an IP scan using 'Fing' on the iPad/iPhone or IP scan on your PC/Mac. You should see IP Address 10.0.1.222 in list.
You can also ping the IP address,
On PC open command prompt and type PING 10.0.1.222
On MAC open Network utility or terminal to ping the IP address

If you get 'Replys' from the IP address it means that it is successfully connected to your Wifi Network

Now Open the SkyQ app on the iPhone/iPad and tap Telescope
Input IP Address 10.0.1.222 on the right and tap 'Connect to Telescope'

If you still have issues send me a message.

PoisonArrowFrog
journeyman

#5330156 - 07/22/12 05:46 PM

PCGuru - thanks for the help.

I downloaded Fing for the iPhone. Cool app. It indicated that the SkyQ (Roving Networks) is on 10.0.1.200 which is what I expected based on what was indicated in the network utility on my MacBook Pro. I can ping it ok as well.

Mind you I have not been successful in connecting to the device in direct connect mode at all from the iPhone or iPad only from Windows 7 (under VMWare Fusion). That leads me to believe that itís not a networking issue because that mode doesnít use my local network at all.

In Windows I can get the SkyQLinkPC working most of the time with a virtual com 4 port. When I start NexRemote it will indicate ďInitializing Firmware...Ē the SkyQLink icon lights flash indicating some sort of data being sent across the network to the scope and then I almost always get an error message ďUnable to Communicate with TelescopeĒ. I also installed the ASCOM driver and setup Microsoft World Wide Telescope but alas when I get to the point where WWT communicates with the telescope I get a similar message about being unable to connect to the scope.

I am now going a start over completely, reseting the device to factory settings and setting the ip to 10.0.1.222 based on your directions.

Tora

#5330277 - 07/22/12 07:22 PM

I have been able to successfully configure SkyQLink for wifi network access based on PC Guru's information. (Thank you so much!)

A quick question though: While I have it configured perfectly for my iPad and iPhone, I also have a Windows 7 Laptop that I installed SkyQLink PC on. When I try to connect using this platform (using the same IP address on my iPhone/iPad) I keep getting no connection. I have tried it with COM 2-10 (sans COM4 as it indicates COM4 already exists. The TCP Port is listed as (default) 5555. Any suggestions? (I was able to connect with the SkyQ Link in direct connect mode and have set the SkyQLink ip address in the at 222 so as to avoid network conflicts - FYI

Thanks for your valuable advice and patience with those of us who are technologically challenged in this area...

PCGuru
journeyman

#5330315 - 07/22/12 07:48 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

I did not know that you were using VMWare Fusion. Your issue may be coming from the VMNet settings on the Windows Host.
By default VMWare Network interface is set to 'Share the Mac's Network Conneciton (NAT)". You need to change this setting to "Connect directly to the pysical network (bridged). Open Fusion and edit the network settings of your Windows Guest.
This should fix the NAT and Port issues when connecting to the SkyQ Module from your Windows 7 VM using SkyQ Link software.

Tora

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Tora]
      #5330331 - 07/22/12 07:59 PM

A quick review of the help file (for Windows users trying to get connected to SkyQLink) can be found by right clicking on the graphic representation of the SkyQLink Module on the screen. The help file states that the TCP Port should always be 2000. I reset the TCP Port setting to 2000 but still no luck. Any suggestions?

(Just to clarify PCGuru - there are two persons picking your brain for this - I wasn't sure if you were replying to me or PoisonArrowFrog)

PCGuru
journeyman

#5330334 - 07/22/12 08:00 PM

Tora,
Disable any Firewall program you are running on your PC and then try to connect.
If you are using Windows Firewall use this to disable it.
Open Command Prompt and type:

netsh firewall set opmode disable

This will disable the windows Firewall or you can do this from Control Panel.

If you are using a 3rd party firewall close it and try connecting to the SkyQ Module.

If you are able to connect then reconfigure the firewall to allow SkyLinkPC.

Let me know if you need instructions on how to do this.

Tora

#5330422 - 07/22/12 08:56 PM

Gave it a shot butI still keep getting the same message: "Error connecting to Host"

I was able to get the PC program to work in Direct Connect mode (Select SkyQLink network and connect using the IP of 1.2.3.4. but for some reason it won't connect in wifi mode. Not sure what the issue is but it is funny that I can get it to work in boh modes with my iPad and iPhone, but the PC version only seems to be working in Direct Connect mode. Hmmmmmmmmm

Edited by Tora (07/22/12 08:57 PM)

Tora

#5330438 - 07/22/12 09:12 PM

Update - I was able to get it to connect with a virtual port (COM 3) after I deleted an old one from my BlackBerry (RIM - Research in Motion) which was causing a conflict. Ostensibly, the device works now, but whenever I try to connect NexRemote to the telescope via SkyQLink I get a msg:

"Unable to communicate with Telescope"

I'll probably need to confer with someone from Celestron as they are the ones that made the program, but at least I have some of the conflicts resloved and my iPhone/iPad setup is good to go "as-is"

PoisonArrowFrog
journeyman

#5330494 - 07/22/12 09:55 PM

Thanks again PCGuru and others who have been trying to help me.

I took your suggestion, reset everything and assigned the IP to 10.0.1.222 and ... no joy.

After banging my head against the wall a few times I came to the realization that my temporary test set-up had my scope power hooked up to power supply of insufficient amperage.

I hooked it up to my car battery and bingo - everything worked fine! Direct connect mode, access point mode, Windows, iPad, and iPhone (alignment crashes on the iPhone but that appears to a known issue).

Totally my bad. Sorry Celestron - you rock.

I look forward to having fun with the SkyQ app!

k1uhf

#5331884 - 07/23/12 06:42 PM

I gave up on getting the link to work as an access point. I tried it on two routers configuring it both with the phone app and the PC but I could never ping it. I didn't kill Windows firewall however but it didn't show up as a device on my router so I figured it never connected.

At this point I don't want to waste any more time on it as the link doesn't appear to have enough WiFi range to reach my router even though my phone works fine from where my telescope would be. But the main reason it is a waste of time is that the SkyQ phone app crashes on Align Continue on two different mounts on two differen iPhones.

It appears the app may work with Celestron's Az El mounts but not GEQ's. I have a CGEM and a CG5 GT and I have read that another person with a CGEM had the same problem and Celestron Support confirmed that other people had the crashing issue.

Does anyone have it working on a Celestron GEQ mount?

Thanks

Mike Kersten

Reged: 03/16/12

#5338628 - 07/27/12 03:33 PM

I just got mine today. Sweet!!! I have a CGEM DX. Set it up in drect mode first as shown in directions. Connected the Ipad to the Skydxx network and hit connect. Did an alignment and everything worked. Next I set up my access point setting to my local network including my password and hit save. It took serveral trys but it finslly connected but when I tried the alignment it would start and then fail. Turns out the signal from my wifi is week to my scope so I used some old wifi equiment to set up a network just for the observatory. I used an access point and an old router. Setup the access point to connect to my home wifi and plugged it into the observatory wireless using the modem port on the router. Then I went back to direct mode for the skyq link and reconfigured my connection settings to the new router and bingo! works like a champ. Make sure your signal is not too weak!!

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5338822 - 07/27/12 05:51 PM

Update: Celestron contacted me and asked for more details on my problem. Then I sent them my iPhone crash files. They told me that their engineer was looking into it and would get back to me.

PoisonArrowFrog
journeyman

#5339385 - 07/28/12 01:56 AM

SkyQ iPhone app has just been updated. Fixes include crashing on alaignment. Woot.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#5340469 - 07/28/12 06:10 PM

I updated mine this morning and just tried it out. I was able to do an alignment (indoors) with no crashes in direct connection mode. Of course now that the app is working it's pouring outside.

I'll check on more of its features and maybe tomorrow night the sky will clear.

k1uhf

#5340670 - 07/28/12 09:13 PM

I just got the application update and it works with my CGEM!!!! YAAY

Could of saved hours of tearing hair out if they waited to release the link till they had the application working.

Very simple, does a 3 star align and you pick two stars to the West and one to the East. I did an indoor alignment so we have yet to see if it really works.

The WiFi range is very short, about like Bluetooth. 15' away and it lost the connection. The good news is you can get it back up without losing the alignment by with the phone's WiFi settings and the app.

Now I am still need to figure out if the hand control has any funtionality, I don't think it does and I think it will scramble everything if you try and use it.

As far as the access point mode I still have the problem of limited WiFi range and I have been unable to get it to join the network with two different routers.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

#5342257 - 07/29/12 07:32 PM

I downloaded version 2.0.02 Is this version with latest fixes??

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Jeff55]
      #5342401 - 07/29/12 09:17 PM

I don't think so. I updated mine and it says that it is SkyQ v2.0.7

Try going to updates and searching. It should update you to the newest version. I should add that I'm using an iPhone 4S not an iPad.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

#5343096 - 07/30/12 10:16 AM

Jim;
Thanks for response...just got update notice this morning...I'm still having trouble getting a connection and hope this newer version will help. I'm using an IPhone 4 with a CGEM.

Tora

#5343608 - 07/30/12 03:09 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. I updated mine and it says that it is SkyQ v2.0.7

Try going to updates and searching. It should update you to the newest version. I should add that I'm using an iPhone 4S not an iPad.

Just FYI, it is the same version number for both the iPhone and the iPad.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

#5344168 - 07/30/12 08:47 PM

The latest update makes SkyQ a snap to use...a really great piece of software.

wrz0170
sage

Reged: 03/08/12

Loc: Bethlehem, Pa
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Jeff55]
      #5344223 - 07/30/12 09:31 PM

Does anyone have Sky Safari wifi and SkyQ for comparison?

park

Reged: 08/20/11

Loc: Hangzhou, China
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: wrz0170]
      #5351347 - 08/04/12 08:29 AM

Does SkyQ work with SkySafari yet?

wrz0170
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: park]
      #5351391 - 08/04/12 09:24 AM

Quote:

I think Celestron has their own software for SkyQ. So I was wondering on the comparison between the two.

wrz0170
sage

#5352090 - 08/04/12 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think Celestron has their own software for SkyQ. So I was wondering on the comparison between the two.

Well, I decided that for $4.99 (price of a beer), to try the SkyQ iPad App and compare with Sky Safari. I might just go ahead and get the wireless and give it a good go. Worse comes to worse, sell off one of them?

park

Reged: 08/20/11

Loc: Hangzhou, China
      #5352252 - 08/04/12 08:41 PM

wrz0170,

That's very kind of you.

Look forward to your comparison review.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: park]
      #5352380 - 08/04/12 10:32 PM

One thing I did read a bit ago, was that you could not advance the time in the Cele app. It may seem trivial, but I use that function in Sky Safari quite a bit!

Just taking a cursory look around, i'd think that the Cele app may compare somewhat to the basic version of Sky Safari. I too would like to know if Sky Safari would work witht he Cele hardware.

Cheers!

Andy

wrz0170
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: budman1961]
      #5352854 - 08/05/12 10:33 AM

Quote:

One thing I did read a bit ago, was that you could not advance the time in the Cele app. It may seem trivial, but I use that function in Sky Safari quite a bit!

Just taking a cursory look around, i'd think that the Cele app may compare somewhat to the basic version of Sky Safari. I too would like to know if Sky Safari would work witht he Cele hardware.

Cheers!

Andy

Comparing it to basic Sky Safari is an excellent way of describing it. There are some things I like and things not crazy about.

One thing that separates SF is the very active participation of the developers on the Yahoo Forums. They take an interest and solicit ideas from their users for future updates. Big plus there.

I will be interested to see where Celestron takes their App

katie
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Southern Maryland
      #5362226 - 08/10/12 06:51 PM

Quote:

... One thing that separates SF is the very active participation of the developers on the Yahoo Forums. They take an interest and solicit ideas from their users for future updates. Big plus there....

+1 on SF taking a participative interest.

Curious. Has Celestron ever taken an interactive role (i.e. user forum, enhancing a product based on that forum, direct discussion with users) for any product? I am not referring to their knowledgebase, but a true forum.

My experience is that they throw products over the wall and let the consumers (using self-preservation forums and web sites) work out the nuances. Some users occasionally post a 2nd hand account of "Here is what Celestron told me...", but a Celestron response is a no-show.

Hey, maybe I am wrong, and if I am please correct me.

Mogster
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/14/04

Loc: Manchester, England
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: katie]
      #5391868 - 08/28/12 04:49 PM

So does this Celestron WIFI module work with Sky Safari?

I'd like the option to still use SS on the iPad for visual sessions and maybe operate the scope from the PC during imaging. There's no PC version of SS.

MarvinTheMartin

Reged: 10/29/10

Loc: Ohio 39*27'17.0" N 84*27'36.7"...
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Mogster]
      #5397080 - 08/31/12 05:45 PM

Better Yet, can I get it to work with SB TheSkyX PRO? And this is an answer to the guy having all the issues on the first couple pages of this. If you just walk around your scope and use the eyepiece the only advantage you gain is a sky map to see in the sky where you are going. If your an Imager or Mallancam guy/gal then this is a big plus. I have my laptop in the garage along with a 27" view sonic getting it's feed from my HDMI port on the laptop. I can have 3 windows side by side on that thing and a planetarium on my laptop screen. This is awesome. Can't wait to get one.

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5482801 - 10/21/12 10:36 PM

I've been using the SkyQ for a few months. Using the NexRemote to align can be a painful experience...especially in the back, but once it is aligned, it is quite fun.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: Gary Z]
      #5482923 - 10/22/12 12:10 AM

I'd posted to NexStar forum, but will summarize my experience with SkyQ Link (both the unit and App) after a couple of nights out on a 6/8SE:

* Unit is really nice and small
* No batteries required, direct plug in
* No need for the HC
* using iphone/ipad is intuitive
* Select *any* star on the screen to align
* modify and store HC parameter (backlash, goto directions, etc)
* The MAIN downside to the whole setup is the SkyQ app; it's usable and quite nice, but it is very unpolished. My main fear is that it's one of those s/w project that a company gets out the door to go along with a product, and as long as it works okay, there is absolutely NO incentive to improve on it at all. Some random pluses+ and minuses- follow:

+ all(?) scope parameters are accessible
+ really nice large direction keys on the 4 edges of the screen for slewing
+ pretty good audio guide, I hope they expand on it - at the very least they should merger the skyscout audio and info in the SkyQ
+ easy slew and speed change

- cannot replace alignment stars, only option is to align from start
- cluttered low-res map display; the 'smart label' which is suppose to hide certain labels until you zoom in does not work. Entire screen can be crammed with labels.
- stars to mag 7+ - that's it?
- general map display needs to be polished up
- distracting background images when selecting info on objects, ruins night vision.
- no generating user list for an observing session
- app should be ***free*** (as it is) it's almost useless as a standalone app (other than the audio info), and only serves to drive the SkyQ adapter ($99)
- please release an Android version as well!

Lancem

Reged: 03/17/11

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: core]
      #5503877 - 11/04/12 12:48 PM

Hi Peter (or anyone else!) Any updates on your use of the Skyq app and the Skyq link wireless unit? I presently use SkySafari Plus connected to my CPC 1100 with the Skywire unit. I love SS for visual observing but I still use the scope hand controller for GoTo functions. I just find that this works better than using SS for GoTo - it seems more accurate with the GoTos from the HC. Also, I often lose my connection with the SkyWire for no apparent reason - the app just informs me that the connection is lost. If the wireless unit solves these issues I would purchase it. I like the idea of not needing the hand controller.

My only other concern is that I love SkySafari for creating observing lists and logging my observations at the scope. Would I be able to switch back and forth between SkySafari ( for logging and lists) and Skyq (for scope control) without losing my alignment or experiencing any other problem. I am referring to just switching between the apps on the ipad. I wouldn't need to connect the skywire for the logging and observing lists. The ipad would only be connected to the scope via the skyq wireless. If so, I think I might have the best of both worlds between the two apps.

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: core]
      #5505788 - 11/05/12 06:25 PM

Well I have not had as much luck with it as you.

I got my SkyQ Link a couple of months ago but the app was buggy and kept crashing. Celestron fixed it and the latest version doesn't crash.

I had only used it indoors to test for crashes but finally took it outside a few weeks ago to test. It did not crash on me and stayed connected the whole time. But I couldn't get it to align properly. I set it at the index marks and when I let it slew to the first alignment star it was way off. Same with the second star. After about 4 tries I finally had success letting the scope slew to Vega as the first alignment star. Not wanting to push it I had it go to Deneb. But to my surprise it turned the scope upside down and ended up bumping into the mount. So I never got a good alignment.

I did try turning the scope and the app off and on again a couple of times. Each time I did it told me that it had old alignment data and offered to use it if I wanted. Since I never got a good alignment I didn't elect to use it.

I'm using a Celestron CGEM DX mount and an iPhone 4S.

I finally got tired of messing with it and just manually found a few objects to look at before calling it a night.

I havenít tried using it since then. I only have so much time to try and debug a gadget before I put it away for a bit. I guess Iím ready to give it another try soon.

astronomy-shoppe.com
Vendor (astronomy-shoppe.com)

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: Plaistow, NH
      #5558462 - 12/06/12 11:19 PM

Well, we just got these in today and i am trying to set one up. I will post my findings

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: astronomy-shoppe.com]
      #5565007 - 12/10/12 10:20 PM

Works great for me, But I don't use the IOS app. I just use the PC software for a wireless connection to my mount with Nexremote. I am having an issue using the SkySync GPS module at the same time. I will post another topic about that issue. I do find, with the limited range, that a BlueTooth WiiSnap (Serial to Bluetooth from SerialIO) works just as well. I also have a SkyFi that works equally as well. I also never use the direct connect mode except for setup. I have the WiFi devices connect to my wireless network in the OB.

jrs

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: Matthews, NC 28104
      #5588562 - 12/25/12 02:18 PM

I just got one of these for Christmas, and I think that I got a dud.

I have it set up in "Direct Connect" mode, and am connecting to the wi-fi network that it creates (SkyQLink-0a).

When I run the skyq app on my iPad 2 (or iPhone 4s) and click the Connect to Telescope I get a "Connection Failed" screen. I verified that the switch is "up" on the dongle, and that the app is set to "direct connection" in the connection settings.

I am using version 2.0.8 of the app.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: jrs]
      #5588579 - 12/25/12 02:40 PM

you need to connect to the skyq wifi network via your table or pc..

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5588582 - 12/25/12 02:42 PM

I find that the wifi module disconnects from my access point once in a while (AP is only 4ft away) which causes nexremote to lock up, then I loose my alignment... frustrating..

jrs

#5588695 - 12/25/12 05:05 PM

Quote:

you need to connect to the skyq wifi network via your table or pc..

Do you mean tablet? I tried with my iPad. Or are you saying that I need to use the nexstar software first?

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5588896 - 12/25/12 08:59 PM

Ya table.. sorry.. You go into general, then wifi then join the skyq network.

jrs

#5588900 - 12/25/12 09:02 PM

That is the network that I am on (SkyQLink-0a, the one created by the skyQ).

I will try to call them tomorrow

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5588913 - 12/25/12 09:14 PM

For some reason I cannot spell TABLET today!!!

You should be able to hold down the reset button on the side to reset it to factory defaults..

jrs

#5589724 - 12/26/12 01:07 PM

Well, I am not sure what happened. The telescope worked fine before I tried all of this, but now it does not. I don't know if the skyq was the culprit or not, but now my telescope doesn't even work.

Hand controller flashes "Initializing..." then goes blank. I tried all of the ports, same thing. I called support (a couple of times) and we tried to update the HC and motor control firmware. It *looked* like the hc was getting updated, but now I don't even know, since it didn't help anything. I tried the same COM port, and now I can't even update the firmware for either the HC or MC.

I now have a shipping label to send the whole mount back to celestron. I will NEVER get to use my new CCD (I know, unrelated, but still...)

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5590085 - 12/26/12 06:17 PM

Ouch!!

Usually an initializing then going blank means you have something plugged into the PC port on the mount..

Transmit data or no response on the HC usually means a reflash..

General_Tso

Reged: 12/06/12

Loc: Melbourne, FL
      #5597123 - 12/30/12 11:20 PM

Ouch! Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the SkyQ adapter. Mine came in a few days ago and Iíve had it out with my Nexstar 8se two nights. I had no problem in direct connect mode with my iPad 2 or iPhone 4.

Overall, I like the tool, but it has some definite drawbacks (aside from breaking your rig). It helps speed set up along by acting like a GPS to determine location and time. The interface also tops the two line interface with the hand controller. Letís face it, we live in a point, swipe, and pinch world, so scrolling through two to three levels of text menus, then scrolling through choices is downright archaic. I tried out the three star align a few times and it worked really well. You just point at the first star and use you iDevice to slew and center the object. The second and third objects you can choose to have the telescope move to them and center from there. I found that it was a safe bet to do that on the third object, but not so much on the second. I cannot say how much easier it is to navigate a touch screen and use that to point rather than digging through the HC menus. Iím fairly new, so it is also a better medium for learning the night sky than choosing a menu option without visual context. Its like pointing at a map to go where you want versus saying,ĒM42!Ē and clicking your heels three times.

There is also the nerdy cool factor of using your iPhone to control the telescope. My neighbor was so amazed, he downloaded the $5 app despite not owning a telescope.

Speaking of interfaces, the iDevices just donít have the textual or ergonomics to be used to manually control a telescope very well. The control buttons are the edge of the screen and there is a slider to control the speed. Iím by no means old (37, if you must know), but feeling the four direction buttons on the HC feels superior to hoping your hitting the three quarter inch strip around the edge of a screen while making adjustments while looking through the EP or starfinder. I wonít venture to guess what the solution would be for the app, but I just used the HC when I needed to make any adjustments.

I also like having the tour option from the HC and didnít see it in the app. The trade off is you can look through the different object catalogues and see what is available. For newbies such as myself, there is also a slew of additional multimedia information available if you want to know more about an object.

Is it worth $99? That is the kicker. It can add value to the viewing experience and make it more accessible to the novice. If I were in marketing at Celestron, I would aim to make these ubiquitous by lowering the price to a no brainer add on, assuming production scale prevents a loss. Iím not sending mine back, but I would have been happier at a lower price point. Iím sure people will come up with much more innovative ways to use it in the future, though.

Steve.Greene

Reged: 08/12/07

Loc: South Florida
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: General_Tso]
      #5601414 - 01/02/13 03:12 PM

Dear General,
I found these posts/problems very interesting. When I received my SkyQ Link,I set it up quite easily with my NextStar 130 SLT. I used it at home several times, but I did not see any directional/speed control on my iPad version of SkyQ! I've had to use the HOC to do my alignment, then qualify each star on the iPad.
Last week, we traveled to northern Florida so spend the holiday with friends. They live in area with minimal LP and great views. I set up the 'scope the first night and, keeping the SkyQ Link in Direct Connect Mode, connected right away with the 'scope. We gazed for about 90 minutes, then I packed it in for the night.
The next night, we went to do the same thing. However, this time, I could not make a connection. Everything was identical to the previous night. I hadn't even removed the SkyQ Link from the computer.
We came home and I decided to see if I could find the problem just working indoors. But the same thing happened. I could not connect in DCM, neither could I connect in the APM, even after verifying the 'scope's IP address by going to my desktop which is hard-wired into the router.
I wrote a note to Celestron CS, but have yet to hear back.
I didn't mind spending the $100, based on what I should be able to do. But if I can't connect, what good is it?
SSG

FlyBD5
sage

Reged: 02/12/13

#5697695 - 02/24/13 01:52 AM

Makes sense to me. The SkyQ replaces the need to put any fingers on the controller. A live cam on the scope allows you to align without having to be at the scope. But is it work $99? Not sure.

General_Tso

Reged: 12/06/12

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: FlyBD5]
      #5698932 - 02/24/13 09:12 PM

Steve, I'm not sure about the connection problem. There were two different configurations of the directional buttons for the iPad. One looks like a tiny little compass while the other uses the four edges of the screen.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #5699093 - 02/24/13 11:12 PM

The SkyQ Link is actually quite nifty imo; still I've only had a dozen or so opportunity to use mine. My biggest gripe is that with it being driven by software on iOS, at the moment the SkyQ app is almost amateurish in its presentation and execution - and that's holding it back.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: core]
      #5699116 - 02/24/13 11:27 PM

My issue, in client mode (not adhoc) is that it drops packets here and there.... boom lose of communication with mount via nexremote.. I've tried b, a, g, n and 5ghz and 2.4ghz.. always drops a packet here or there.. It would be nice if it had a bigger buffer and beefier error correction..My Skyfi works better.. but the direct mount attachment is what drew me to the SkyQ...

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5739892 - 03/18/13 12:15 AM

I am having a problem where SkyQ app seems to think my Advanced VX (GEM) is an alt/az mount. I have no ability to change it. Anyone with experience know what I need to do?

I did an alignment but when I told it to go to the moon it of course wanted to slewe into the tripod leg so I killed the power. I love the idea of this thing but if I can't get it to work, and Celestron's site says it should, I am going to be bummed out.

REC51

Reged: 05/22/13

#5879080 - 05/22/13 09:07 PM

I was researching skyQ Link and came across your post. Was the most intelligent one in several pages worth! From your post it sounds like the scope can grab the date, time and location from the iPad... correct? I get your point about trying to fine tune in the eyepiece while using an ipad to slew. But, it sounded like you have the option of also using the hand controller. Is that correct as well? Do you have to "log out" of the iPad to use the HC or can you just switch back and forth? Thanks for any help you can provide.

regards

Bob

KevinS

Reged: 12/27/11

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: REC51]
      #5967514 - 07/12/13 02:25 PM

I am waiting for delivery of a Celestron Advanced VX mount and like the idea of wireless connection for ASCOM compliant planetarium software.(I use a wisnap to get my SiTEch to do this.)
The wisnap is a pain and this SkyQ link looks to fit the bill. Does it absolutely require their proprietary iPad app? Can't I just extend rs232 over wifi with it?

BTW I can use the wisnap link to Sky Safari on my cell so adding my new mount to this would be nice.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5967703 - 07/12/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

I am having a problem where SkyQ app seems to think my Advanced VX (GEM) is an alt/az mount. I have no ability to change it. Anyone with experience know what I need to do?

I did an alignment but when I told it to go to the moon it of course wanted to slewe into the tripod leg so I killed the power. I love the idea of this thing but if I can't get it to work, and Celestron's site says it should, I am going to be bummed out.

Have you updated the app recently? There is a new version out...

Steven Mc

Reged: 06/15/13

Loc: North Central Texas
      #6012686 - 08/07/13 11:26 PM

An individual can find bugs in almost all new products; I personally like to wait until they are fully resolved before making a purchase. I watched the video of the product, but almost everyone is disappointed in the iOS app. Also if an individual buys this product for $99, then why does an individual have to then pay $5 dollars for the app. $5 is not much money but most products that require an iOS app come gratis.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Steven Mc]
      #6012911 - 08/08/13 04:36 AM

There's a TeamCelestron forum that's run by the Celestron developers. You can get your problems and questions directly to the developers.

That will be a much more effective route to getting problems fixed than posting here.

http://teamcelestron.com

Chris

MrMonkey
journeyman

Reged: 10/27/12

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6073956 - 09/10/13 09:18 PM

I have the same problem with the Advanced VX mount. Here is the response from Celestron I received today:

Quote:

Hello Tom,
Thank you for contacting Celestron.
We are currently working on a fix for that issue will be available soon.

Thank you for your patience
Wil
Celestron Technical Services

Who knows if it carries any weight, but I thought that I would share.

p.s. With the exception of the SkyQ link not working, I am significantly impressed with the mount. I am currently petitioning Massachusetts to allow man/mount marriage.

sgtcombs

Reged: 11/18/12

Loc: Portland Oregon
Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: MrMonkey]
      #6082747 - 09/15/13 08:21 PM

I was a able to use it once and it was as described, the second time however, the WiFi wouldn't show up on my iPad2 as it did the first time. I was able to contact Celestron and give them ALL the information they would need and they replied by asking for the information i had sent them! Hermmm...so i sent more info and have not received response. The info included
- iOS device, type and version iPad2, 16mb, WiFi, current update,no G yo.
- mount type and version, CG5-GT, current firmware
- skyQ link version ( really!, part of the e-mail was that i had just received the darn thing, what other version could there be?!)
- what the the specific issue was
Anyhow it is, so far, unreliable and i am very dissatisfied with the results. I tried everything i could to ensure that the fault was not operator error,
step-by-step.
Has anyone else had this issue?

hamdul
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: sgtcombs]
      #6083897 - 09/16/13 12:50 PM

Uncle Rod,
How do you update the Sky Q app?

Fred

Mike in Tampa

Reged: 05/19/13

#6086693 - 09/17/13 08:10 PM

it should be automatic within your appstore icon. it usually has a red # telling you how many apps have an update to be applied.

MrMonkey
journeyman

Reged: 10/27/12

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: Mike in Tampa]
      #6102919 - 09/26/13 07:22 PM

The most recent SkyQ app update stated that Celestron is aware of the issue and is working to fix it...

hamdul
sage

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link new [Re: MrMonkey]
      #6103169 - 09/26/13 10:34 PM

Mike,
You're right. The app update finally showed up yesterday. prior to receiving it I had several small gnaty problems. The update seems to have fixed them.

I was aware that app updates showed up as you described but since I never saw one for SkyQ and seeing Rod Molise's post, I thought that something different had to be done to update the app. Anyway all is now well in Litchfield.

Fred

hamdul
sage

#6103724 - 09/27/13 09:25 AM

Maybe I spoke too soon about problems solved. After downloading the app update everything went well. To give you an idea as too what was happening before when I said I had several small gnatty problems another one showed up last night. I opened Sky Q and got no horizon, just sky with the South Pole showing.
I think that I'm going to ditch Sky Q and get Sky Safari.

Fred

P.S.
This is what drives me nuts about Sky Q. Like I said last night I did not have a horizon on the screen. This morning I opened the app to try and find a cure and there it was back to normal.

Edited by hamdul (09/27/13 01:31 PM)

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

#6111023 - 10/01/13 11:31 AM

Quote:

Well I have not had as much luck with it as you.

I got my SkyQ Link a couple of months ago but the app was buggy and kept crashing. Celestron fixed it and the latest version doesn't crash.

I had only used it indoors to test for crashes but finally took it outside a few weeks ago to test. It did not crash on me and stayed connected the whole time. But I couldn't get it to align properly. I set it at the index marks and when I let it slew to the first alignment star it was way off. Same with the second star. After about 4 tries I finally had success letting the scope slew to Vega as the first alignment star. Not wanting to push it I had it go to Deneb. But to my surprise it turned the scope upside down and ended up bumping into the mount. So I never got a good alignment.

I did try turning the scope and the app off and on again a couple of times. Each time I did it told me that it had old alignment data and offered to use it if I wanted. Since I never got a good alignment I didn't elect to use it.

I'm using a Celestron CGEM DX mount and an iPhone 4S.

I finally got tired of messing with it and just manually found a few objects to look at before calling it a night.

I havenít tried using it since then. I only have so much time to try and debug a gadget before I put it away for a bit. I guess Iím ready to give it another try soon.

Well after 10 months of not trying out the SkyQ again I got the latest update to the app so I decided to give it another go.

I first tested the connection indoors and it worked just fine. In order to directly connect I have to choose the SkyQ under my WiFi settings. I tried slewing the scope and it worked so it was time to try it in the field again.

I took it out on a really clear night this past Saturday. I first carefully polar aligned my scope with the polar scope. Then I fired up the app. It connected fine and asked me to choose 3 alignment stars. Starting from the null point with the mount (i.e. set to the RA and Dec markers) I picked Vega and then manually slewed to the star. Then I picked one on the other side of the meridian and then back to Deneb. This is a bit time consumming. I think back last year I tried to let the mount slew and correct it but this time I did all the slewing. After aligning on the three stars I tried the GOTO and lo and behold it worked great. I used it to slew to about 12 objects and they were all pretty close to center in the eyepiece.

I did learn a few things. First off you should make sure your phone is charged up or plugged in to charge as keeping the screen active and working the scope will run it down after a few hours. Also, what to do when you take a break. I went in the house for an hour to catch some of SNL and came back out to find my phone covered in dew. It wasn't damaged but I could just see how dew could run into it and disaster happening. If I take my phone inside I wondered if it would still stay connected and whether or not I'd have to realign SkyQ. I'll have to experiment.

Anyway, after a long wait I finally have a nice GOTO setup with the app and SkyQ. Wish I didn't have to be a "beta" tester.

gweilo

Reged: 04/19/09

#6207831 - 11/21/13 04:08 PM

Great thread here! Loads of info on the SkyQ Link.

I've got a Nextstar SLT 102 and was looking at getting the SkyQ Link to be able to auto-align the telescope remotely and then use an iPhone or iPad to move and point the telescope. From the thread it sounds like you can do this now. But just had a quick call with Celestron support and they say you can't. The auto-align doesn't work yet and they're working on a software update for the app. This seems different to what some of you guys have seen here!

Can anyone advise? Will it work with the app as it is now?

Thanks

Jason

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron SkyQ Link still doesn't work!! new [Re: gweilo]
      #6208099 - 11/21/13 06:07 PM

For those of you who have used SkyQ Link with NexRemote...I've got a question. The documentation leads me to believe the Virtual Port function doesn't work. Is that correct or not? If the Virtual Port works, I'll probably buy the link...if not...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26263

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics