Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Mike Harvey]
      #5473784 - 10/16/12 06:38 PM

Here is another supplier of heated clothing and accessories including rechargeable battery packs.

http://www.gearscanada.com/index.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Retsub

Reged: 12/08/06

Loc: Houston,Tx.
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Pat at home]
      #5474106 - 10/16/12 09:56 PM

Thanks to all for this really good thread. Considered the Milwaukee jacket and could use the battery for other things too. Have looked at quite a few products and it seems all the heaters must run at the same time and no switching off. Q. Lorence, what do you wear different than us ? Couple of years ago we went to Jackson Hole, WY. December, snow and ice, below freezing and wore Patagonia layers and down and kept warm. Came back to south texas and took our scopes out at about 37 deg f and lots of dew, wore the same stuff and more and got cold ! Humidity can be a huge problem and not need to be below zero. Gerbing's has a excellent site and many details. Will probably order the softshell or fleece vest and a extra batt. Need beter head covering. Any suggestions ? Thanks. *BW*

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Mike Harvey]
      #5474602 - 10/17/12 07:57 AM

I just got a catalog from Cabella's, the sporting goods company, and they have a new line of lithium-battery powered heated coat-vest-gloves- etc.
Russ

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5474754 - 10/17/12 09:51 AM

Plus plus plus (+++) on the Gerbring heated clothing...

I use the heated jacket liner...and heated glove liners as well as socks...

The jacket is worn over a t-*BLEEP* (no regular shirt) but under a 2x hooded sweatshirt .. The glove liners have heating elements between each finger as well as on the back of the hand..I purchased a size to small to get a tight fit which allows me to type at the keyboard in my observatory as well as swap out eyepieces..I wear then under a standard pair of finger less mittens (end fold back) The socks I have are the ones made for riding NOT walking) s they have heating elements on the bottom of the foot as well as on top... so I wear them Over an old pair of socks

(hey also make socks that are made for hiking without the heating elements on the bottom..

The electronics are guaranteed for life the clothing itself is not naturally..

gloves and socks connect to the jacket ..the jacket connect to a 12V 35 AH battery via a 12 foot power cord... so I have to keep track of the darn cord but I painted it white so I can see it easily..

Total was around $500.00 BUT worth ever darn penny and then some.. I'm very comfortable all the way down into single digits (F)

The cost is less the the cost of some eyepieces

www.heatedclothing4you.com ..

Mike has been Gerbrings number 1 dealer for the last dozen or so years ..guy sells out of his home but mostly to police departments

One of my absolute best buys ...heck I even use the clothing (sans socks) to run my snow blower in the winter

Bob G.

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5474814 - 10/17/12 10:27 AM

Bob,

I have been wondering where you were . Good, it is perfect for you to join in with your input. It was all because of your frequent mentions of Gerbing that I have finally placed an order, even though on back order. Thanks for all of your info. I can't wait to try my vest and cushion. It may be the only thing that gets me out in the awful MN cold. I will of course pay close attention to my other layers.

Best, Linda B.

calibos
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/18/07

Loc: Ireland
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Agatha]
      #5474846 - 10/17/12 10:56 AM

As I implement my mods I am dealing with all the things that can cut short a nights observing, wasting a clear night. ie. Temp controlled fan systems to deal with Thermal issues on the scope. Dew heaters for optics and Eyepieces etc. All manner of Goto drives and gadgets to make observing more productive. Mods to make set up and teardown as quick and easy as possible so that valuable observing time is not wasted or becomes so much a chore that one doesn't even bother.

The likes of the Gebring gear is another step on that road to prevent a nights observing being cut short by frozen fingers and toes.

I have one question though. What am I going to do about my fellow observers who have/do none of the above and call it quits early and leave me on my own....out in the middle of nowhere...surrounded by darkness.....and weird noises.

Only as strong as the weakest link and all that?

Edited by calibos (10/17/12 10:57 AM)

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: calibos]
      #5475139 - 10/17/12 01:49 PM

Hmmmm. That's a good question. Good luck with that.

Regards, Linda B.

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Agatha]
      #5475656 - 10/17/12 06:32 PM

When every one else leaves is when I start to really enjoy the hobby. I'm not big on group activities and for me amateur astronomy is a way to unwind, relax, contemplate, speculate ... distractions from people is not conducive to any of that. As for the strange noises coming from the trees well truth be told very few four legged animals are likely to cause you any harm. The two legged animals that are up to no good and looking to cause trouble don't tend to hang out at dark sites.

Edited by Pat at home (10/17/12 06:33 PM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: calibos]
      #5475925 - 10/17/12 09:38 PM

Quote:

on my own....out in the middle of nowhere...surrounded by darkness.....and weird noises.

That's my every observing session.

Retsub

Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5476144 - 10/18/12 12:28 AM

Thanks Roscoe for the Cabella's tip. I looked today and it sort of bothers me that their name is on it. I mean is it the same as Gerbing's or a knock off. Probably not because it is the same price. A good price for the battery and charger that is the same as G's for the battery alone but then again is it as good as the real thing ? Still looking for a better hat ? ? ? *BW*

John Jarosz
Astro Gearhead

Reged: 04/25/04

Loc: Fairfax, Iowa
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Retsub]
      #5476493 - 10/18/12 07:57 AM

Here's another source for battery heated clothing:

Motorcyclegear.com

But I have not used this product (yet)

John

roscoe
curmudgeon

#5478372 - 10/19/12 08:10 AM

Quote:

Thanks Roscoe for the Cabella's tip. I looked today and it sort of bothers me that their name is on it. I mean is it the same as Gerbing's or a knock off. Probably not because it is the same price. A good price for the battery and charger that is the same as G's for the battery alone but then again is it as good as the real thing ? Still looking for a better hat ? ? ? *BW*

I wonder if it's like Kasai orthos......you can get them with many different names on 'em, but they all come from the same factory......
Russ

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5478469 - 10/19/12 09:46 AM

Since the description for Cabelas heated gear actually says that it uses Gerbing's microwire technology, it would seem that Gerbing makes the clothing and puts Cabelas name on it. A win for both companies I would think.

BTW, happy birthday Russ!

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5478537 - 10/19/12 10:25 AM

Harley Davidson sells Gerbing under their name as well.

Retsub

Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Paul G]
      #5478883 - 10/19/12 01:59 PM

I ordered the S-2 jacket from Gerbings. Its backordered but should get here by mid-nov. She said that Cabelas is their stuff with a different tag and small differences and will warranty them too. I also ordered a spare batt from Cabelas since it comes with a charger too as a spare. With two batts and two chargers not much else can go wrong. Just wish that the jacket had a way to turn off some of the heaters to conserve batt power. Don't expect very cold weather here in so. texas for over a month so the delivery timing should work out ok. Many thanks to all for the suggestions and info. *BW*

wirebender
sage

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: Vida, Oregon
      #5478951 - 10/19/12 02:44 PM

I've been using socks, pants, jacket and gloves, all connected into one unit after putting on. They use just under 15 amps, 12 volts.
Only in my roll off, and I do have a power converter and am connected to a wire. Unit has dual controls for upper and lower adjustment independently.
Been using this for over 5 years now, still going strong.
http://cozywinters.com/?source=go&gclid=CIOikKvdjbMCFQSCQgodh0YAdA

Edited by wirebender (10/19/12 02:45 PM)

Retsub

Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: wirebender]
      #5611065 - 01/07/13 10:37 PM

Update of the Gerbings S2 jacket I ordered mid October. I also ordered a spare battery and charger from Cabelas and it came in about a week. Thought I had it all figured out. With two batts and a AC and DC charger I should be good to go. The jacket finaly came just before X Mas and was able to try it out twice. DIDN'T PERFORM AS EXPECTED ! Like I have written before here in south Texas doesn't have the frozen cold like many of you have but when its 30-40f and heavy dew its very chilling in another way.
Here is how it didn't work out. Full batt charge with a light shirt on underneath,heavy knit cap, 38f, very light wind and light dew and the heat on high I went out and sat in a chair. Before long my jeans were cold and I could feel a little heat at the chest and neck heaters area. Got up and walked around but that didn't help. Went into the house looking for the other batt to try and soon I felt the warmth of the jacket heat. Enough for one nite.
Next nite after lots of thinking went back out and had a waterproof shell jacket over the Gerbing to help hold the heat in. About the same temp and conditions. After a while where is the heat ? and changed to the other batt. No difference. Walked around and sat back down. Really wasn't very pleased by now. Far as I know with all the reading of reviews I have given it a fair chance. I mailed it back to Gerbings today for a full refund. Now I have a new but used once batt and a DC charger to dispose of at another loss of money. Can't win. Good luck with yours. *BW*

skullpin
sage

Reged: 03/13/09

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
      #5612659 - 01/08/13 08:33 PM

Upper: my standard indoor t-shirt, wool zip up sweater, down underjacket, fleece over jacket, nylon shell. I do not even bother zipping up the outer two layers until the temperature falls below -10C.

Lower, thermal underwear, down pants (Western Mountaineering Fight pants). Regular tube socks, wool over socks. Shearling boot insoles.

Head: sheepskin mountie type hat.

I am well covered and core warm down to below -20C. The only problem are my hands as I use leather-thinsulate gloves for dexterity. My hands become cold within 30-60 minutes.

I have a Zippo handwarmer that really throws heat, though it is a bit of a pain to use. It needs lighter fluid and it occasionally goes out. I recently got a Sanyo Eneloop Kairo handwarmer that is powered by NiMH AA cells and it is really nice. I keep it in one glove, and put it on with a click of the button when I need it. It warms my hand up nice, and I switch hands every now and then. The batteries last about two hours, so I usually have an extra set in my pocket, though I rarely need them for a typical evening session.

In my opinion, this sort of battery operated warmer is only a comfort device, not a replacement for good clothes. Though some readers with cold hands might be interested.

Keith

roscoe
curmudgeon

Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: skullpin]
      #5613029 - 01/09/13 12:59 AM

No batteries in this, but I spend a lot of time working outside in winter, and I have found that hoods are much warmer than hats - that stripe of cold air along the back of the neck isn't there, and having the ears well covered makes a big difference, too.
Insulated boots are important, too. Mine have removable thick felt liners in them.
R

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5613362 - 01/09/13 09:18 AM

Quote:

DIDN'T PERFORM AS EXPECTED !

those gerbing jackets are different than what I have, I have the motorcycle vest which is wire with nice thick wire and will keep me warm going 60mph in 30° weather.

I guess I'll stay away from their micro-what-ever technology.

thanks for the head up.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5990

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics