Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Retsub]
      #5613550 - 01/09/13 11:39 AM

Quote:

DIDN'T PERFORM AS EXPECTED !

Here is how it didn't work out. Full batt charge with a light shirt on underneath,heavy knit cap, 38f, very light wind and light dew and the heat on high I went out and sat in a chair.

If what you say here is correct, I would not expect it to work either.

If you re-read the posts above, note that several refer to using a well insulated jacket over the vest. Did you use one and forgot to mention?

My Gerbings vest is 5 years old and works well, under my North Face ski jacket.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Retsub

Reged: 12/08/06

Loc: Houston,Tx.
Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: EddWen]
      #5616300 - 01/10/13 09:26 PM

Thanks Eddwen, the first nite out after it seemed to not be working I got up and walked around then sat back down as if I was observing but still felt hardly anything. I was visiting family and didn't have all my gear near by but when I went into the house for a bathroom stop and was looking for the other batt I did feel heat only then. Next nite after lots of thinking I put on a waterproof shell jacket on top and went out again and repeated just like the first nite and used both batts to be sure but the results were the same as the first nite. Wish I had 12VDC and some amps like Pinbout wrote about but only with a small batt ! Thanks. *BW*

bouvier

Reged: 09/17/11

Re: battery heated vest/liner? new [Re: Retsub]
      #5618815 - 01/12/13 11:04 AM

My wife, son and I all have a Milwaukee and we think they are awesome. Even @ -30C with a suitable jacket over we stay nice and comfortable. Great for walking the dog, outdoor events and watching the sky. $130 at Home Depot and comes with 2 batteries (replacements are readily available) and a quick charger (20 minutes). A cold night and I will use both batteries. Lots of handy pocket space too. Heat seems to be upper back/shoulder and upper chest. With the outer jacket, heat placement seems very comfortable. Our jackets are quite loose fitting and feel very relaxed. They've worked well for us for the last couple of years

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6384

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics