Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5523192 - 11/16/12 04:56 PM

I prefer buying from Astronomics because of this site and because they are so close that items usually arrive within 2 days after I order them. I also had a problem with an item one time and they resolved that problem very quickly.

Unfortunately they don't carry all the items I want to buy so I have to go to OPT or Orion and sometimes vendors that specialize in one of kind items like Hands on Optics, Deep Space Products, ScopeStuff, McMaster-Carr, etc.

I do prefer buying from larger vendors just because they make more money and that means they have more options in dealing with a problem. A small vendor might not be able to eat the cost of a problem if it came down to that, but a bigger vendor could.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Thomas Karpf]
      #5523427 - 11/16/12 08:25 PM

Company 7.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Paul G]
      #5523527 - 11/16/12 09:58 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Well naturally it has got to be ISTAR and owner Ales Krivanek! Anyone who can give me a custom made achromat like mine has got to be on every serious refractor junkies radar screen!! I mean get on board while the gettin's good! Mike

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5523533 - 11/16/12 10:06 PM

Astronomics, OPT, Agena Astro and High Point Scientific for eyepieces and such stuff.

I concur with Jon that I strongly recommend Dennis Steele at DobStuff. Great product, outstanding customer service.

Tim D

Reged: 10/08/10

Loc: Temecula, CA
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5523554 - 11/16/12 10:23 PM

I really like OPT. I believe they have the best sales around and a great rewards program. Just the other week they had no sales tax for california residents and double rewards discount for people out of state in honor of the elections. They also have currently a PayPal deal with no payments for 6 months! So with deals like that, I had to pull the trigger on a XT10g!! Hope to get it soon! Plus I like visiting their store which is about 25 miles from me.
Tim

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5523600 - 11/16/12 11:08 PM

For telescopes, eyepieces and so on, Astronomics. They provide excellent service, maintain a good amount of stock, are knowledgeable and very professional. For odds and ends, Scope Stuff is good.

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5523624 - 11/16/12 11:21 PM

Check out telescopes.com (not Orion, which is telescope.com). It's a division of the Hayneedle online store, and I was surprised at how much stuff they sell. They're pretty competitive, although you need to watch their "sale" prices since often they're not as good as the likes of B&H Photo (another good one). But they've got great product descriptions, reviews and product photos. I've purchased a couple of things from them and they're always sending me promotions -- I currently have a $10 off my next order coupon waiting to use. It's a fun place to go have a look around. And their shipping is prompt and on-time, and a lot of their stuff has free shipping.

I had a question about an eyepiece and I called their 800 number, expecting some guy who knew as much about eyepieces as he did about lawn furniture -- which Hayneedle also sells -- and wound up talking to the guy for 15 or 20 minutes. They're so serious about their astronomy store that every employee has to attend an astronomy course and demonstrate a knowledge of general astronomy and the product line. He was actually fairly with things like focal length, eye relief, etc.

Meade

Edited by Meadeball (11/16/12 11:25 PM)

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #5524188 - 11/17/12 11:22 AM

In addition to the good options already mentioned, I'll add:

University Optics: http://www.universityoptics.com/
Meridian Telescope: http://www.meridiantelescopes.com
Willmann-Bell: http://www.willbell.com/
Siebert Optics: http://www.siebertoptics.com/
Surplus Shed: http://www.surplusshed.com/

Ones local home improvement store too!

Edited by izar187 (11/17/12 11:25 AM)

rsbfoto
sage

Reged: 06/10/06

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: izar187]
      #5524337 - 11/17/12 01:05 PM

Hi Guys,

Well all for you living in USA there are many options but when it comes to residents outside US there are not many vendors willing to sell especially to Mexico as for many vendors we are just Bandidos down South the border of Rio Grande

When I started 9 years ago I met one guy who really had and has an enornous patience in answeting questions, and that is Darrin Lewer from Land Sea & Sky, Texas Nautical repairs ot also known as Takahashi America.

I know the equipment they sell is not cheap and perhaps that is why nobody has mentioned them, but the technical service is first class, but die to that I only own Takahashi equipment aparto from one AstroTech 8"RC which I bought used in Mexico from a friend who bought it from Astronomics

I have also dealt with Astronomics and Optcorp and as well they have a superb service and patience

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5524757 - 11/17/12 05:36 PM

Quote:

- I haven't purchased anything from them yet but Eyepiecesetc is on my list based on past dealings and help I have gotten from the proprietor, Don Pensack, (Starman1)

support one of our own

but one thing, I went to his website and my wife saw him standing next to his teeter and she said," oh whose that guy, he's really cute."

I quicly responded, "He's too old for you!!!"

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: izar187]
      #5524791 - 11/17/12 05:55 PM

Firsthanddiscovery

gotgrit

highpointscientific

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5524808 - 11/17/12 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

- I haven't purchased anything from them yet but Eyepiecesetc is on my list based on past dealings and help I have gotten from the proprietor, Don Pensack, (Starman1)

support one of our own

but one thing, I went to his website and my wife saw him standing next to his teeter and she said," oh whose that guy, he's really cute."

I quickly responded, "He's too old for you!!!"

Many years ago I started noticing that when a good looking woman came into the bar or restaurant where I was, and her eyes scanned the room looking at the people there, her eyes quickly scanned right past me as if I wasn't there.
My wife says I'm not rich enough to be good looking.

anyway, thanks for making my day.

dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: Moncton NB Canada
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5524883 - 11/17/12 06:52 PM

Astronomics once in a while. Always get great service. 90+ is going to Canadian telescopes these days. The free shipping makes all the difference. Even if they charge more for an item than another vendor, it is still a better deal in the end. If a US company would offer free shipping to Canada they'd make a killing.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5524990 - 11/17/12 07:53 PM

I've bought most of my gear from the "big guys"; Astronomics, and OPT. Great suppliers!

And I've also bought a lot of stuff from people who make the parts for us; ADM, Seibert Optics, and Russell Optics. Great creators!!

I also like to buy from people I respect like Don at EyepiecesEtc.com. I completed my set of Panoptics on the TV end of year sale. :-) And Scott Horstman of BackyardObservatorys.com Great People!!!

Edited by MRNUTTY (11/17/12 07:53 PM)

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5528334 - 11/19/12 04:21 PM

SkiesUnlimited for great prices.
Ed Thomas for his entertaining Hypertune.

Michael

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5528583 - 11/19/12 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have no idea why US vendors ship free to the lower States, but charge astronomical amounts to ship to Canada.

I would have to agree to a certain extent, although I believe they are just charging cost when it comes to USPS.
But, if they provide free shipping within the U.S., why don't they subtract the cost of mailing to the U.S.from the cost of mailing to Canada, therefore arriving at a more equitable shipping cost for Canadians?

More to the point of this thread, Agena and Scopestuff get my vote for U.S. dealers.

Eric

Extra paperwork shipping to Canada. Depending on the item there can be a little or a lot of it.

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: AhBok]
      #5528631 - 11/19/12 07:24 PM

Quote:

Easy for me. Astronomics, Agena Astro, Scopestuff. There are many other fine vendors, but these three get my calls first and in this order.

Agreed.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Favorite vendors? [Re: dlapoint]
      #5529129 - 11/19/12 11:37 PM

As a Canadian I only tell my colleagues of one Canadian dealer NEVER to use.

And every Canadian amateur from sea to shining sea knows exactly who I'm talking about.....

I have had good dealings with Astronomics, OPT, Anacortes, Hands On in the USA as well as various specific equipment manufacturers...

In Canada, the greatly missed Efstonscience was my 'go-to' dealer - Canadian Telescopes and their free delivery are on my radar now, too.

Dave

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Favorite vendors? [Re: Cotts]
      #5529342 - 11/20/12 03:35 AM

Quote:

In Canada, the greatly missed Efstonscience was my 'go-to' dealer

I couldn't agree more. They are supposed to have a web store up in the coming year, but I will miss the 'hands on' experience whenever I had the chance to visit them.

Eric

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Favorite vendors? [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5529343 - 11/20/12 03:39 AM

Quote:

Extra paperwork shipping to Canada. Depending on the item there can be a little or a lot of it.

Judging by the shipping rates to Canada vs USA on just about any item, there must always be a lot of it.

Eric

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2774

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics