Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Favorite vendors?
      #5522428 - 11/16/12 08:28 AM

Who would you send a friend, grandparent, boss, fiance, etc. to for general astronomical equipment?

I know there are a lot of businesses out there who make awesome products and who provide awesome service. I've dealt with several manufacturers who have provided me ridiculous service at stupidly low prices (free in some cases) (TeleVue, Stellarvue, and Astrotrac come immediately to mind).

But which vendors with wide varieties of products (and types of products) do you think provide the best service? In other words, who has responsive, educated sales/support staff, responds to emails almost before you send them, has reasonable prices, and still somehow hasn't burnt out or gone out of business?

I know that Astronomics and Agena Astro clearly (and alphabetically) are on that list. But who else???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Thomas Karpf]
      #5522463 - 11/16/12 08:54 AM

Astronomics is always my first choice, for obvious reasons. However when they have not carried something I have found Scopestuff to be always responsive and helpful. Likewise Starizona.

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5522493 - 11/16/12 09:15 AM

Astronomics.

AhBok
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/10

#5522518 - 11/16/12 09:41 AM

Easy for me. Astronomics, Agena Astro, Scopestuff. There are many other fine vendors, but these three get my calls first and in this order.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: AhBok]
      #5522532 - 11/16/12 09:51 AM

Astronomics! Without them, we would not be discussing it on Cloudy Nights; as there would be no CN; since they carry the cost for us, alone.

ScopeStuff is one for just about any item not found elsewhere.

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5522592 - 11/16/12 10:22 AM

Astronomics for nine out of ten orders (when I buy new anyway). After that, in no particular order:

Agena Astro
ScopeStuff
High Point Scientific

I have also used Orion off and on for years. Lots of stuff for the newbie, and they often have good sales. Their shipping charges however are legendary.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5522619 - 11/16/12 10:40 AM

Let me share my story...

For years, as a budding amature astronomer, I would have questions about this or that. I would call Astronomics and would speak to Fred. His knowledge, friendly tone and eagerness to help were easy to get attached to, so over the years I continued with my questions seeking advice. As a youngster, with little money, I didn't buy a single thing, I just kept asking for answers to my questions an seeking advice.

As I progressed in the hobby and funds became available (more so just knowing what I wanted), I began to purchase from them, but it was after many years. I haven't spent the most by any means, more so just picking up odds and ends and a scope or two. Fred was the same on the phone no matter.

Two years ago I got a chance to volunteer at my first NEAF to help Astronomics. I was looking forward to it all, like a pilgrimage, and to meet Fred. Much to my suprise, he didn't attend, but his son, Mike did. We met, I worked the weekend and by the end, he and his gracious wife made me feel like family with the rest of the CNer's. I didn't get to meet Fred, but his fine son is most certainly a reflection of his character and if he is half the man Fred is, Fred should be proud. Do you have to ask who my favorite is???

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5522649 - 11/16/12 10:51 AM

Thanks all.

As of about a month ago, my list consisted of just Astronomics. Some people don't like lists of just one business, hence my post.

Recently I learned about Agena Astro. I've seen multiple threads extoling their virtues. I'm not sure I've seen a single 'less than glowing' post about Agena Astro.

I've added Scope Stuff (for slightly less common 'scope stuff') and High Point Scientific to my list.

@t.r. I've had a number of conversations over email with the kind folks at Astronomics over the last decade, mostly about equipment that was out of my current price range. I'm not sure the meager profits on my ~ $1000 sales have come anywhere near close to paying for their time chatting with me. There's good reason why Astronomics was originally my entire list.

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5522660 - 11/16/12 10:55 AM

Bingo!

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
      #5522670 - 11/16/12 11:00 AM

Of course, without Astronomics we were not be able to talk like te way we do at Cloudynights. When i am in the neighberhood, i will visit them straight away...

If i may suggest a vendor at the other side of the ocean, i can highly recommended Robtics.nl. The guys who are in the buisiness are 100% amateur astronomers.

Besides them, Markus Ludes from APM is a vendor who comes also in my mind.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Traveler]
      #5522783 - 11/16/12 11:57 AM

+1 for Astronommics. I also like Telescopes.net; which is Woodland Hills Camera in California. Excellent service. When a ES82 14mm was on backorder, the day they received their shipment, they called me and let me know their shipment had arrived and my eyepiece was sent the next day.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5522813 - 11/16/12 12:20 PM

There are a number of top notch vendors out there. Astronomics is certainly one of them and their continued support of Cloudy Nights sets them apart.

Other vendors:

- Woodland Hills, OPT, Agena Astro, AT&WB, Hands on Optics.

- I haven't purchased anything from them yet but Eyepiecesetc is on my list based on past dealings and help I have gotten from the proprietor, Don Pensack, (Starman1)

In terms of manufacturers, there are the big boys like Obsession, TeleVue and Astro-Physics that need no introduction. Dennis Steele at Dobstuff is one I can recommend...

Jon

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5522822 - 11/16/12 12:27 PM

Well I recently had an experience with one of the vendors on my 'favorites' list that caused me to move them off that list. I won't name them, they are generally spoken of with great esteem here. I decided to buy a recommended book and did a search to see who sold it and at what price. Top of the list where 2 vendors, Amazon and a telescope vendor, each listed the book at $35. Though I'd throw some business to the telescope vendor so I went there and put the book in my cart and proceeded to checkout. Cheapest shipping & handling was over $17! That's just taking advantage of me and it's not gonna happen! I doesn't cost anywhere near that much to package and ship a book. My vendor bookmarks have since been re-ordered. My message for buyers is to always check shipping cost and my message to vendors is if your try to beat me up I'm gonna remember it forever.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5522833 - 11/16/12 12:37 PM

There really are a number of excellent vendors out there. Can't say I've ever had a bad experience with any of them.

Astronomics was always a favorite vendor for me, even before they started sponsoring Cloudy Nights. I remembering placing some orders with them over the phone years ago when I was just starting out in the hobby, and getting some excellent advice.

I've also had great experiences with Skies Unlimited, High Point Scientific, Agena Astro, Scope Stuff, Orion and OPT, to name a few.

As for manufacturers, Al Nagler and Rick Singmaster are tops in my book, both in terms of quality and helping their customers.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: turtle86]
      #5522841 - 11/16/12 12:43 PM

Astronomics, Oceanside Photo & Telescope, Orion, Scopestuff.

RGM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/15/03

Loc: Burks Falls, Ontario, Canada
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5522843 - 11/16/12 12:43 PM

A quick note for Canadians. I have started to keep some of my purchases in Canada, using Canadian Telescopes. They have similar prices to US vendors, and FREE shipping.

US vendors get some of my business, but it all comes down to shipping and handling costs. I have no idea why US vendors ship free to the lower States, but charge astronomical amounts to ship to Canada.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: RGM]
      #5522880 - 11/16/12 01:07 PM

Quote:

I have no idea why US vendors ship free to the lower States, but charge astronomical amounts to ship to Canada.

I would have to agree to a certain extent, although I believe they are just charging cost when it comes to USPS.
But, if they provide free shipping within the U.S., why don't they subtract the cost of mailing to the U.S.from the cost of mailing to Canada, therefore arriving at a more equitable shipping cost for Canadians?

More to the point of this thread, Agena and Scopestuff get my vote for U.S. dealers.

Eric

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5522905 - 11/16/12 01:16 PM

But you have FREE health care!!!

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5522961 - 11/16/12 01:56 PM

Quote:

But you have FREE health care!!!

Well not really, but the details are confounding!

Eric

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
      #5523092 - 11/16/12 03:46 PM

Usually OPT because it is in my old hometown. I have also used astronomics and was always satisfied. I will also, like Jon, start using Don Pensack's new business because I want to support someone who, like astronomics, offers so much to Cloudy Nights.

Dark skie.

Jack

Edited by mountain monk (11/16/12 07:56 PM)

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5523192 - 11/16/12 04:56 PM

I prefer buying from Astronomics because of this site and because they are so close that items usually arrive within 2 days after I order them. I also had a problem with an item one time and they resolved that problem very quickly.

Unfortunately they don't carry all the items I want to buy so I have to go to OPT or Orion and sometimes vendors that specialize in one of kind items like Hands on Optics, Deep Space Products, ScopeStuff, McMaster-Carr, etc.

I do prefer buying from larger vendors just because they make more money and that means they have more options in dealing with a problem. A small vendor might not be able to eat the cost of a problem if it came down to that, but a bigger vendor could.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5523427 - 11/16/12 08:25 PM

Company 7.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Paul G]
      #5523527 - 11/16/12 09:58 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Well naturally it has got to be ISTAR and owner Ales Krivanek! Anyone who can give me a custom made achromat like mine has got to be on every serious refractor junkies radar screen!! I mean get on board while the gettin's good! Mike

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5523533 - 11/16/12 10:06 PM

Astronomics, OPT, Agena Astro and High Point Scientific for eyepieces and such stuff.

I concur with Jon that I strongly recommend Dennis Steele at DobStuff. Great product, outstanding customer service.

Tim D

Reged: 10/08/10

Loc: Temecula, CA
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5523554 - 11/16/12 10:23 PM

I really like OPT. I believe they have the best sales around and a great rewards program. Just the other week they had no sales tax for california residents and double rewards discount for people out of state in honor of the elections. They also have currently a PayPal deal with no payments for 6 months! So with deals like that, I had to pull the trigger on a XT10g!! Hope to get it soon! Plus I like visiting their store which is about 25 miles from me.
Tim

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5523600 - 11/16/12 11:08 PM

For telescopes, eyepieces and so on, Astronomics. They provide excellent service, maintain a good amount of stock, are knowledgeable and very professional. For odds and ends, Scope Stuff is good.

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5523624 - 11/16/12 11:21 PM

Check out telescopes.com (not Orion, which is telescope.com). It's a division of the Hayneedle online store, and I was surprised at how much stuff they sell. They're pretty competitive, although you need to watch their "sale" prices since often they're not as good as the likes of B&H Photo (another good one). But they've got great product descriptions, reviews and product photos. I've purchased a couple of things from them and they're always sending me promotions -- I currently have a $10 off my next order coupon waiting to use. It's a fun place to go have a look around. And their shipping is prompt and on-time, and a lot of their stuff has free shipping.

I had a question about an eyepiece and I called their 800 number, expecting some guy who knew as much about eyepieces as he did about lawn furniture -- which Hayneedle also sells -- and wound up talking to the guy for 15 or 20 minutes. They're so serious about their astronomy store that every employee has to attend an astronomy course and demonstrate a knowledge of general astronomy and the product line. He was actually fairly with things like focal length, eye relief, etc.

Meade

Edited by Meadeball (11/16/12 11:25 PM)

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #5524188 - 11/17/12 11:22 AM

In addition to the good options already mentioned, I'll add:

University Optics: http://www.universityoptics.com/
Meridian Telescope: http://www.meridiantelescopes.com
Willmann-Bell: http://www.willbell.com/
Siebert Optics: http://www.siebertoptics.com/
Surplus Shed: http://www.surplusshed.com/

Ones local home improvement store too!

Edited by izar187 (11/17/12 11:25 AM)

rsbfoto
sage

Reged: 06/10/06

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: izar187]
      #5524337 - 11/17/12 01:05 PM

Hi Guys,

Well all for you living in USA there are many options but when it comes to residents outside US there are not many vendors willing to sell especially to Mexico as for many vendors we are just Bandidos down South the border of Rio Grande

When I started 9 years ago I met one guy who really had and has an enornous patience in answeting questions, and that is Darrin Lewer from Land Sea & Sky, Texas Nautical repairs ot also known as Takahashi America.

I know the equipment they sell is not cheap and perhaps that is why nobody has mentioned them, but the technical service is first class, but die to that I only own Takahashi equipment aparto from one AstroTech 8"RC which I bought used in Mexico from a friend who bought it from Astronomics

I have also dealt with Astronomics and Optcorp and as well they have a superb service and patience

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5524757 - 11/17/12 05:36 PM

Quote:

- I haven't purchased anything from them yet but Eyepiecesetc is on my list based on past dealings and help I have gotten from the proprietor, Don Pensack, (Starman1)

support one of our own

but one thing, I went to his website and my wife saw him standing next to his teeter and she said," oh whose that guy, he's really cute."

I quicly responded, "He's too old for you!!!"

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: izar187]
      #5524791 - 11/17/12 05:55 PM

Firsthanddiscovery

gotgrit

highpointscientific

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5524808 - 11/17/12 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

support one of our own

but one thing, I went to his website and my wife saw him standing next to his teeter and she said," oh whose that guy, he's really cute."

I quickly responded, "He's too old for you!!!"

Many years ago I started noticing that when a good looking woman came into the bar or restaurant where I was, and her eyes scanned the room looking at the people there, her eyes quickly scanned right past me as if I wasn't there.
My wife says I'm not rich enough to be good looking.

anyway, thanks for making my day.

dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: Moncton NB Canada
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5524883 - 11/17/12 06:52 PM

Astronomics once in a while. Always get great service. 90+ is going to Canadian telescopes these days. The free shipping makes all the difference. Even if they charge more for an item than another vendor, it is still a better deal in the end. If a US company would offer free shipping to Canada they'd make a killing.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
      #5524990 - 11/17/12 07:53 PM

I've bought most of my gear from the "big guys"; Astronomics, and OPT. Great suppliers!

And I've also bought a lot of stuff from people who make the parts for us; ADM, Seibert Optics, and Russell Optics. Great creators!!

I also like to buy from people I respect like Don at EyepiecesEtc.com. I completed my set of Panoptics on the TV end of year sale. :-) And Scott Horstman of BackyardObservatorys.com Great People!!!

Edited by MRNUTTY (11/17/12 07:53 PM)

MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5528334 - 11/19/12 04:21 PM

SkiesUnlimited for great prices.
Ed Thomas for his entertaining Hypertune.

Michael

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#5528583 - 11/19/12 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have no idea why US vendors ship free to the lower States, but charge astronomical amounts to ship to Canada.

I would have to agree to a certain extent, although I believe they are just charging cost when it comes to USPS.
But, if they provide free shipping within the U.S., why don't they subtract the cost of mailing to the U.S.from the cost of mailing to Canada, therefore arriving at a more equitable shipping cost for Canadians?

More to the point of this thread, Agena and Scopestuff get my vote for U.S. dealers.

Eric

Extra paperwork shipping to Canada. Depending on the item there can be a little or a lot of it.

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: AhBok]
      #5528631 - 11/19/12 07:24 PM

Quote:

Easy for me. Astronomics, Agena Astro, Scopestuff. There are many other fine vendors, but these three get my calls first and in this order.

Agreed.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: dlapoint]
      #5529129 - 11/19/12 11:37 PM

As a Canadian I only tell my colleagues of one Canadian dealer NEVER to use.

And every Canadian amateur from sea to shining sea knows exactly who I'm talking about.....

I have had good dealings with Astronomics, OPT, Anacortes, Hands On in the USA as well as various specific equipment manufacturers...

In Canada, the greatly missed Efstonscience was my 'go-to' dealer - Canadian Telescopes and their free delivery are on my radar now, too.

Dave

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Cotts]
      #5529342 - 11/20/12 03:35 AM

Quote:

In Canada, the greatly missed Efstonscience was my 'go-to' dealer

I couldn't agree more. They are supposed to have a web store up in the coming year, but I will miss the 'hands on' experience whenever I had the chance to visit them.

Eric

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5529343 - 11/20/12 03:39 AM

Quote:

Extra paperwork shipping to Canada. Depending on the item there can be a little or a lot of it.

Judging by the shipping rates to Canada vs USA on just about any item, there must always be a lot of it.

Eric

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Cotts]
      #5529356 - 11/20/12 04:11 AM

Here's another option in Canada
http://www.lirelanature.com/
Sam

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: planet earth]
      #5529529 - 11/20/12 07:46 AM

Again, thanks all for your feedback. I'm asked occasionally for recommendations by friends and family who are thinking about getting into the hobby, and I wanted to be able to refer them to a number of places. I didn't 100% trust my own experiences since I have dealt with so few vendors to date.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #5539606 - 11/25/12 11:16 PM

Is "NEAF" a vendor???? That's were I buy everything....

aezoss

Reged: 03/27/11

Loc: The Great White North
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: planet earth]
      #5539745 - 11/26/12 02:10 AM

+1 Lire La Nature as well as All-Star Telescope, Alberta Premium Optics, Canadian Telescopes, Agena Astro, Astro-zap and Orion.

Good experiences with all of these vendors, although brokerage fees have been highly variable for items entering Canada from the US.

Lee

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: aezoss]
      #5539952 - 11/26/12 09:02 AM

For on-line vendors, Astronomics.com generally or ScopeSuff.com for scope mod parts. For brick-and-mortar vendors, fortunately in Raleigh, NC whe have a professional camera supply store that has a bona fide astro section (and is a Televue dealer with lots in-stock), Southeastern Camera (at their Atlantic Avenue store). They go to NEAF and Winter Star Party every year as vendors, although I suspect as much to make these pleasurable junkets tax-deductible as to actually make $$$.

daveingu
sage

Reged: 01/24/09

Loc: Guelph, ON Canada
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5540004 - 11/26/12 09:53 AM

Another great source for Canadians is KW Telescope, I have had great experiences with Brady and Brian, always helpful. Prices are competitive and stock is usually pretty good too!
Dave

Pauls72
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: LaPorte, IN
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: daveingu]
      #5540268 - 11/26/12 12:58 PM

I've used the following and have had good dealings with all of them.
OPT (Oceanside Photo and Telescope)
High Point Scientific
Agena Astro
Scopestuff
Orion
Garrett Optical
I've had indirect dealings through our club with Hands On Optics and they where good to work with too.

Being the prices are usually fairly close, most of time who has it in stock or the cost of shipping something will sway me as to who to use.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Pauls72]
      #5540274 - 11/26/12 01:04 PM

Have had really good results with Telescopes.net (Woodland Hills Camera in CA). They are also a "recommended Dealer" by Televue and other major mfgrs.

skullpin
sage

Reged: 03/13/09

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: daveingu]
      #5540477 - 11/26/12 03:09 PM

I can also vouch for KW Scope in Canada. Last March, they got me some Takahashi UW eyepieces for a competitive rate (when duties are accounted for).

Apparently they absorbed Perceptor's assets last year when John Kidner retired. Perhaps that was a vote of confidence from a long trusted name amongst Canadian vendors. I dealt with John last year just before he retired and he was a cool guy.

Keith

edit: My mistake, it was Jerry Wright who last owned Perceptor and who I dealt with... sorry Jerry! No change otherwise to the sentiment here.

Edited by skullpin (11/27/12 05:09 AM)

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5540839 - 11/26/12 07:12 PM

for Agena Astro.

Ordered on Black Fri. Arrived Cyber Monday.

rgm40
sage

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Western Kentucky
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: hottr6]
      #5541024 - 11/26/12 08:53 PM

I visit these sites frequently and would not hesitate to order from any of these (in no particular order):

Astronomics, Agena Astro, EyepiecesEct,University Optics, Telescope.com (Orion), Telescopes.com (Hayneedle). Best of luck to Don and EyepiecesEct.com. Looks like his new website has really gotten off to a good start. Looking forward to doing business there in the future.

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
      #5541026 - 11/26/12 08:54 PM

Astronomics, OPT.

Bill

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

Reged: 08/04/12

Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: hottr6]
      #5541050 - 11/26/12 09:09 PM

Quote:

for Agena Astro.

AGREED!!............HANDS DOWN!! THE BEST customer service I have received from ANY vendor for quite some time, BAR NONE.
There are a couple others on here that get "top billing" that I did not have such a good experience with, can't say that about "Agena Astro" at all. The others just lost a customer.........course, you can't lose what you didn't work hard enough to get in the first place...................

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5541597 - 11/27/12 07:25 AM

"Specialty" (boutique) vendors: Astro-Physics for very professional sales and service (real straight shooters) and Discmounts, because Tom Peters will go out of his way to be helpful, not only before a sale but also long after it. Bob Luffel at Alpine-Astro is also a great guy to deal with. Ken Hugett at Solarscope on Isle of Man has to be my favorite non-USA vendor for after sale service - Serge Antonov at AstroDevices is another. Its always great to talk with the guys who basically own the company, make/use the innovative products they sell and welcome some feedback.

General astro vendors: Astronomics, OPT and a big thumbs-up for Agena Astro.

Favorite "big box" astro/binoc vendors: Hayneedle, Eagle-Optics, Adorama and B&H. Sometimes you just need a better price or easier terms (when they offer them).

AhBok
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/10

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5541720 - 11/27/12 09:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

for Agena Astro.

AGREED!!............HANDS DOWN!! THE BEST customer service I have received from ANY vendor for quite some time, BAR NONE.
There are a couple others on here that get "top billing" that I did not have such a good experience with, can't say that about "Agena Astro" at all. The others just lost a customer.........course, you can't lose what you didn't work hard enough to get in the first place...................

Great to see you posting here, Manish!

. . . Just kidding

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5541842 - 11/27/12 10:45 AM

Astronomics and Agena Astro.

Erik30

Reged: 10/16/12

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5542327 - 11/27/12 03:22 PM

Astronomics and Starlight Xpress for there customer support.. A++

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Erik30]
      #5542386 - 11/27/12 04:06 PM

My number one most "go to" dealer hands down is Oceanside Photo and Telescope.

Although you might think the following is a list of everyone I've ever purchased anything from, it's not even anywhere near close to that. My list of only the most helpful trusted vendors and dealers is (in alphabetical order):

ADM Accessories
Agena Astro
Astromart (for used equipment buying and selling)
Astronomics
AstroZap
CameraBug
DigiKey
Lunt Solar Systems
Monoprice
Mouser
Oceanside Photo and Telescope
Optec
Powerwerx
PreciseParts
Rigel Systems
ScopeStuff
Software Bisque
Starizona
Starlight Instruments
Woodland Hills Camera and Telescope

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Erik30]
      #5542387 - 11/27/12 04:06 PM

Starlight Xpress, Telescoop Service (TDM), Mallincam (And Rock and I don't see eye to eye)

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5542469 - 11/27/12 04:56 PM

Quote:

"Specialty" (boutique) vendors: Astro-Physics for very professional sales and service (real straight shooters) and Discmounts, because Tom Peters will go out of his way to be helpful, not only before a sale but also long after it. Bob Luffel at Alpine-Astro is also a great guy to deal with. Ken Hugett at Solarscope on Isle of Man has to be my favorite non-USA vendor for after sale service - Serge Antonov at AstroDevices is another. Its always great to talk with the guys who basically own the company, make/use the innovative products they sell and welcome some feedback.

General astro vendors: Astronomics, OPT and a big thumbs-up for Agena Astro.

Favorite "big box" astro/binoc vendors: Hayneedle, Eagle-Optics, Adorama and B&H. Sometimes you just need a better price or easier terms (when they offer them).

A definite and most enthusiastic thumbs up to Astro-Physics. Nothing but the highest quality of service from them for 12 plus years. Same thing for Bob Luffel of Alpine Astro. I have only had one purchase with Serge at Astro-Devices but he is super to work with as well and stands firmly behind his product. I have also had great service from Ashley with Precise Parts and the folks with FLI. Rob Miller and his tripods come to mind as well.

For larger vendors, I would have to say OPT has been my choice of retailer for most other items as they have flexible shipping choices and work with me to find the best method for the item.

Michael Cave
sage

Reged: 10/24/10

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Re: Favorite vendors? new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5548949 - 12/01/12 03:12 PM

Astronomics...Company 7...Orion,...hoping these stay strong forever.
Loved the old ones like Novak, ( I can still hear his wife getting him to the phone with a resounding "nohVaAK!").
And just like GM and Chrysler did with redoing some older cars, I'd like to see some of the strong companies offer some of the old stuff made new!

I'm going to try with a new one: Eyepiecesetc, with Don Pensack, (Starman1).
And pay it forward with Thanks to all here, and on Amart that I trust too!

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2777

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics