Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
kbastro
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Running from Clouds
True cost of astronomy?
      #5524721 - 11/17/12 05:17 PM

I often pondered the cost of astronomy,, finacially,,,
equipment, accessories & books + travel cost... (escaping to dark sites aka on the road)..
I know I have been travelling on the road for 18 yrs to get to supreme dark skies as well as investing a minumum of at least 30K towards equipment over the past 18 years,,.

is it just me, or does everyone want big better faster more?? (and darker)!

so after having owned/owning at least 25 scopes and about 7 mounts as well as film/digital/ccd cameras and traveling more than 150,000 miles in that time to image/observe,

I wonder how much money I would have,, or spent,,

help my head is spinning.....

Kev b

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5524732 - 11/17/12 05:25 PM

It's not a matter of how much you spent, it's a matter of if it was worth it. So far for me, worth every penny. But, then, I'm only at about $3K so far....but the views, priceless....

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5524749 - 11/17/12 05:34 PM

It's a joke. I have spent like you, Kev. Now I have scopes I like and they are not overly fancy. I have come to recognize that this is about the sky. I was never into the consumerism as much as some, but still - if you have the money, it is easy to fall into.

I am totally happy with my current scopes, and I intend to use them until they are no longer serviceable. I enjoy the sky much more by not concentrating on equipment. Some of the best views I have had lately were from Spruce Knob, after Hurricane Sandy, a trip on which I took no equipment!

GW

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Glen A W]
      #5524752 - 11/17/12 05:35 PM

And, you hear people complain about the high cost of astronomy, but you can buy a used C8 for $450 and the needed accessories and books for a couple hundred more. "Astronomy" does not require constant outlay, especially if you live where you can observe. "Buying things compulsively" is another matter. I'm not out to make anyone mad - I have been guilty myself. I don't have 78 eyepieces just by chance. GW

Glen A W
professor emeritus

#5524762 - 11/17/12 05:39 PM

Not to beat this to death, but compulsive or not, the money I have spent was worth every penny. GW

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5524786 - 11/17/12 05:52 PM

You can spend a lot on any hobby. The nice thing about astronomy is that you can buy some decent gear for not too much money, and that's all you really HAVE to spend. If you want to get buy pretty cheaply, you can.

My astronomy expenses pale compared to my wife's hobby - horses. The ongoing costs for food, horse shoes, vet care, etc. are large and continuous and don't stop unless you drop the hobby all together.

For my 2 cents, astronomy is a pretty modestly priced hobby. But again, like any hobby, you can always choose to spend as much as you want.

-Dan

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5524790 - 11/17/12 05:54 PM

Anyone know how to mount a scope on a Bass boat????

SubaruB4

Reged: 11/14/12

Loc: Greenwich, CT
      #5524807 - 11/17/12 06:04 PM

Quote:

And, you hear people complain about the high cost of astronomy, but you can buy a used C8 for $450 and the needed accessories and books for a couple hundred more. "Astronomy" does not require constant outlay, especially if you live where you can observe. "Buying things compulsively" is another matter. I'm not out to make anyone mad - I have been guilty myself. I don't have 78 eyepieces just by chance. GW

I've always wanted a scope since my early teens but the cost was a huge put off, I'm not sure where the $450 comes from for the C8 but I don't think ebay has that many great deals.

But I say for most the price is a huge turn off.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: SubaruB4]
      #5524832 - 11/17/12 06:22 PM

1) It's my hobby, my profession, and my passion.
2) I can't take it with me.
3) The people in the industry are generally so nice......
4) I enjoy the buying experience and getting new toys--don't you?
5) Because I travel to observe, I probably have paid more for gas over the years than I have for all the equipment I've bought.
Gas is more expensive now than 40 years ago, but my income is higher, too, so it probably evens out.
That's an exaggeration, of course, but still! I went out last Sunday night and the 354 mile round trip cost me $52 in gas, and I have a small car.
[My "close" dark sky site is a round trip of ~200 miles].
Figure 12X a year for the last 35 years.......
Nope. I've spent more than that for just eyepieces.
6) I've got to face it, I'm an addict. The 12 step plan to beat it entails....naw, who am I kidding? I don't want to be cured!
And my wife is an enabler--after 10 purchases on eBay, she says to me, "Honey, don't you need a new eyepiece or something?"
Life is Good.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5524856 - 11/17/12 06:32 PM

I have owned eight scopes in my life since the first 60mm refractor in 1957. Have three currently and will probably add one more, but I expect the scopes to outlive me. Eyepieces and other accessories? Maybe 20 items total. I suspect I have about $12,000 iin current equipment, accumulated over a number of years. Might spend another $3,000 tops. I know people who have twice that much invested in boats, three-wheelers, expensive shotguns for competitive trap shooting, huge home entertainment centers, one with a single-engine airplane, etc. Not to mention the people with lake or mountain cabins or trailers. And I bet I get more hours of use out of my astro gear in a year than any of them do with their toys. So no, this is not an expensive hobby if you figure cost per hour, and certainly not when you add in the enjoyment and satisfaction. And one of the nicest things about it is that once each of us shuffles off the mortal coil we know someone somewhere will continue to use and enjoy the equipment we left behind.

thomas68
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/25/11

Loc: North west Indiana
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5524863 - 11/17/12 06:37 PM

I just hope my wife don't find out how much I've spent in the last two years!

Tom

dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: Moncton NB Canada
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5524866 - 11/17/12 06:40 PM

Astronomy is like camping. You start off with a 29.00 tent and a garbage bag full of blankets. 20 years later your pulling a fifth wheel with your big @ss truck. Its a journey.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: SubaruB4]
      #5524873 - 11/17/12 06:46 PM

Quote:

I've always wanted a scope since my early teens but the cost was a huge put off, I'm not sure where the $450 comes from for the C8 but I don't think ebay has that many great deals.

But I say for most the price is a huge turn off.

My first scope, including 2 eyepieces, came to $299! This was a brand new 8" Dob. Don't know how a price this good would be a huge turn off for people getting into astronomy.

MDB

Reged: 06/06/12

Loc: Idaho
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5524952 - 11/17/12 07:31 PM

Could be 'astronomical'.......sorry!

Mike

Messyone
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5524960 - 11/17/12 07:33 PM

The true cost of Astronomy is nothing compared to the cost of my 12 year old daughters ballet classes over the last 5 years
Matt

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Messyone]
      #5524999 - 11/17/12 08:01 PM

I've followerd similar threads in the past and people claim they are 10 years and $150 in and happy. Originally I thought I'd spend $200 or so and see if I was really interested in looking at the sky. Now after adding a couple of zeros to that I'm thinking about a different mount and binoviewers. Not many of my purchases have been big ticket items, most where a hundred dollars or so but they tend to add up. I've kept good record of where it all went. Recently I have sold a few things.

Al

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

#5525113 - 11/17/12 09:12 PM

Quote:

I often pondered the cost of astronomy,, finacially,,,
equipment, accessories & books + travel cost... (escaping to dark sites aka on the road)..
I know I have been travelling on the road for 18 yrs to get to supreme dark skies as well as investing a minumum of at least 30K towards equipment over the past 18 years,,.

so after having owned/owning at least 25 scopes and about 7 mounts as well as film/digital/ccd cameras and traveling more than 150,000 miles in that time to image/observe,

I wonder how much money I would have,, or spent,,

help my head is spinning.....

Kev b

I was once seriously into some amateur sport. Trained two hours a day every day. Kept logs, got a coaching certificate, travelled the country many times and had a ball for ten years. Spent a LOT of money. Got some good memories and a few red ribbons. Quit cold turkey and changed interests. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat under the same circumstances.

Life is a journey. You pay your fee and you take your chances. You can change direction any time. And yes, there are times when I feel the resources I have tied up in astronomy could bring me more happiness if invested elsewhere.

You see ads all the time from individuals who are getting out of this hobby and selling all their gear. One day, it may be me advertising, but not just yet.

dan

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: dan_h]
      #5525261 - 11/17/12 11:02 PM

For those that are visual only, the expenses are typically tied up in OTAs and eyepieces. For imagers however, the costs quickly escalate many times with high end mounts, CCDs, filters, adapters, software, etc. The costs can easily top 15k for a single mount, OTA, CCD setup... what we spend always seem to come under some sort of scrutiny... from ourselves and the community at large. Astronomy is what you make of it. If you're happy with an 80mm refractor, occasionally spending a few hours in the backyard, great. If you're a dedicated imager, traveling to dark sites with enough gear to fill a truck bed, that's great too. In the end, IMHO it's the personal satisfaction we receive that counts.

MitchAlsup
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/09

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #5525267 - 11/17/12 11:07 PM

I probably spent a similar amount as OP on astronomy.

But compared to racing my Ferrari on race track, astronlmy is essentialy invisible in overall cash flows.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: MitchAlsup]
      #5525331 - 11/18/12 12:13 AM

My brother collects Ferraris. Astronomy is cheap...

Stan

kbastro
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5525419 - 11/18/12 01:52 AM

in 25 years I'll be in the high 60's,, and probably go through at least 3 more vehicles, 10+ more scopes and another 2 or more mounts 'CAUSE who the hell knows what they will invent by then!!!!
And don't forget to add some new hi-tech imagers at 1 million iso by then,,,

I have all the bills I paid for the stuff over the past 8 years,,, and over the next 25 years I will continue to monitor what and how much I spend/spent on this life's journey!!

Keep in touch fellow astronomers! I will let you know in the year 2038....

Kev b

MAURITS
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/09

Loc: Belgium
      #5525454 - 11/18/12 02:27 AM

Good astronomical stuff is expensive, we know that all!

It is the price of a very beautiful and nice luxe car, but after then years of use the car is old and ugly with low value!

The astronomical stuff is than just so good as new!!!

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: MAURITS]
      #5525503 - 11/18/12 04:05 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Quote:

It is the price of a very beautiful and nice luxe car, but after then years of use the car is old and ugly with low value!

Hardly...

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
      #5525511 - 11/18/12 04:27 AM

Sure amateur astronomy can cost money. But there are some strategies which can reduce the expenses in relation with equipment.

Fist buy the telescope and mount if you are sure what you want and buy always your dream setup.

Second: don't buy EP's simple because they are newer and got better reviews...the differences between the ep's are not that big.

Third: Beware of buying electronic equipment: in two, three years you can replace the device whaich were once so good...

Fourth: Like what you have and USE it.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Traveler]
      #5525626 - 11/18/12 07:33 AM

I think I've gained more from the friendships I've made than the financial costs I've inquired. YMMV of course.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Traveler]
      #5525627 - 11/18/12 07:33 AM

I think I've gained more from the friendships I've made than the financial costs I've acquired. YMMV of course.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5525639 - 11/18/12 07:53 AM

You can say that again...

Phillip Easton
sage

Reged: 12/24/10

Loc: DFW
      #5525658 - 11/18/12 08:15 AM

Quote:

You can say that again...

LOL nice one!

If I stopped to add up the costs of my hobbies, it would take all the fun out of them

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Phillip Easton]
      #5525737 - 11/18/12 09:12 AM

The thing about astronomy is that after equipment start up costs, it costs nothing to participate in...

Manny Myles
Postmaster

Reged: 11/29/05

Loc: Far South of the flyover city ...
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: JohnMurphyRN]
      #5525750 - 11/18/12 09:23 AM

Maybe we need sponsors to defray the costs,,, see it now big numbers slathered all over the side of our scopes along with countless stickers telling one and not quite all where and or who to go git there stuff from,,,
m2

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Manny Myles]
      #5525901 - 11/18/12 11:22 AM

Boy, if I'd invested all the money I've seen depreciated through computer equipment I've owned over the past 3 decades... I could probably have had a PlaneWave CDK20 mounted atop a Paramount under a nice Ash Dome. At least good astronomical equipment tends to hold it's value, sometimes even appreciate.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5525948 - 11/18/12 11:48 AM

Quote:

1) It's my hobby, my profession, and my passion.
2) I can't take it with me.
3) The people in the industry are generally so nice......
4) I enjoy the buying experience and getting new toys--don't you?
5) Because I travel to observe, I probably have paid more for gas over the years than I have for all the equipment I've bought.
Gas is more expensive now than 40 years ago, but my income is higher, too, so it probably evens out.
That's an exaggeration, of course, but still! I went out last Sunday night and the 354 mile round trip cost me $52 in gas, and I have a small car.
[My "close" dark sky site is a round trip of ~200 miles].
Figure 12X a year for the last 35 years.......
Nope. I've spent more than that for just eyepieces.
6) I've got to face it, I'm an addict. The 12 step plan to beat it entails....naw, who am I kidding? I don't want to be cured!
And my wife is an enabler--after 10 purchases on eBay, she says to me, "Honey, don't you need a new eyepiece or something?"
Life is Good.

Does she have a sister???

RogerRZ
Whatta you lookin' at?

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada
      #5525973 - 11/18/12 11:57 AM

I used to race a ratty old RZ350, at a track three hours away. About $1000/weekend, if you didn't break anything (I always broke something--$2000 motorjob, anyone?).

Astronomy is cheap...

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: RogerRZ]
      #5526054 - 11/18/12 12:46 PM

Astronomy is free. It's the modifying of the way our eyeballs see it that's expensive.......and worth every penny.

Fireball
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/06

#5526100 - 11/18/12 01:02 PM

Astronomy is a reasonably priced hobby unless you

- want an 8" or bigger refractor

- want to do serious astrophotography with a big astrograph
- want a 30" or bigger dobson with all the jingles and bells
- want to collect all Televue and/or Zeiss eyepieces
- need a motorhome and air-conditioned trailer to haul all your stuff

Any more ideas ?

stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Fireball]
      #5526139 - 11/18/12 01:18 PM

I think this hobby would be a lot cheaper if it weren't for sites like this one convincing us that we need bigger, better, faster, more!!!!

Some friends and relatives of mine are avid golfers. That seems a lot more expensive of a hobby than astronomy.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5526167 - 11/18/12 01:38 PM

I just wish astronomy was my ONLY hobby.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5526227 - 11/18/12 02:17 PM

Quote:

I just wish astronomy was my ONLY hobby.

Eh, a couple of month's looking here,a few thousand dollars later.....and it WILL be your only hobby...

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: stevenf]
      #5526702 - 11/18/12 07:42 PM

Quote:

I think this hobby would be a lot cheaper if it weren't for sites like this one convincing us that we need bigger, better, faster, more!!!!

This site as well none other that I know of have prompted myself to continue to spend beyond what I could easily afford .
Maybe weak minded can be influenced into that , but you can't blame a web site for the weak minded . That sounds so much like a leftist view it's almost laughable if it weren't for the severity of the slander that it imposes .
Grow your own brain strong and stop blaming others for your downfalls .
Cheese and Rice !

stevenf
sage

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: starrancher]
      #5526725 - 11/18/12 07:51 PM

Spoken like a true Randian hero starrancher.

Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
      #5526734 - 11/18/12 07:55 PM

All I can say is that it's been money well spent...for me and everyone who has viewed using my equipment. And I still have another eyepiece on order.

Clears,

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Shneor]
      #5526774 - 11/18/12 08:23 PM

The cost of Astronomy as a hobby is more a function of time than actual dollars. There are so many other popular pursuits such as season tickets to a pro sports team or golf club memberships that can truly trivialize what the $ cost are in this hobby... As many have already said, it's more how it makes us happy, and fulfills some aspect of our personalities that makes it meaningful. What is that worth? I suspect it's not a question of $, rather it's a question of fulfillment. For some that could be a store bought $50 achromatic and for others it may be a plane wave 24"...

Al

Starboat

Reged: 03/14/12

Loc: Texas
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5527057 - 11/18/12 11:16 PM

The thing I like about astronomy is that you can spend a little or a lot, its up to you.

bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
      #5527129 - 11/19/12 12:13 AM

I've had hobbies that costed me 5$ all the up to several thousand and they all are fun. If I can't justify the cost, I never would have started any of them to begin with.

Just thinking how much money I've spent on beer.... maybe that's why i started brewing it!

Edited by bassplayer142 (11/19/12 02:00 AM)

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5527153 - 11/19/12 12:30 AM

Quote:

traveling more than 150,000 miles

kbastro
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5527236 - 11/19/12 01:26 AM

yes 150,000 miles!

50+ trips yearly to a dark site 40 miles away + annual trips to flordia wsp and arizona over 12 times and death valley too from the mid plains stretched over 18 years tends to add up on the odometer,,,

kev b

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5527964 - 11/19/12 01:27 PM

Astronomy isn't that bad. Compared to 4-wheelers, hunting, general aviation... the list can be horrendous when you compare a small telescope collection to the price of an airplane!

People buy what they can, and at least in astronomy you can usually re-sell it to the next guy who wants to give it a whirl. Can't say the same about a used boat or 4-wheeler .

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5528068 - 11/19/12 02:16 PM

Ok, whose gonna spring for one of those new obrbital plane trips into space and take along a set on binocs????

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5528144 - 11/19/12 03:06 PM

I like to tie trout flies. I probably have much more invested in feathers than astro gear. Have you priced a top-quality rooster saddle lately? And you need several colors. And you need capes too, not just saddles. And hen feathers. And wood duck feathers. And mallard feathers. And peacock feathers. And starling feathers--the list goes on and on.

And that doesn't even include the cost of rods, reels, waders, line, leaders, tippet, and the cost of gas to go fishing.

Or maybe you don't need all that stuff.

I guess my point is that the cost of a hobby is what you make it.

Edited by rdandrea (11/19/12 03:34 PM)

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5528173 - 11/19/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

yes 150,000 miles!

50+ trips yearly to a dark site 40 miles away + annual trips to flordia wsp and arizona over 12 times and death valley too from the mid plains stretched over 18 years tends to add up on the odometer,,,kev b

I applaud you! I truly do!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5528240 - 11/19/12 03:43 PM

"Have you priced a top-quality rooster saddle lately?"

Can't say that I have; but then, I don't ride roosters.....

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5528246 - 11/19/12 03:46 PM

George Methvin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Central Texas
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5528294 - 11/19/12 04:05 PM

Funny the more I stay away from reading the CN forums the less I spend. Its like going in to a bar everyones drinking so you feel the need for a drink also. . I can just hear the guys pleading with there wifes after reading on CN about all the folks that have bought new shinny toys " OH honey all the other guy have one why can't I have one too" Spend that money you can't take it with you when you die so why leave any behind. Clear sky and happy spending.

Meade 10 LX200 classic
Orion EON 120mm ed refractor.
12 eyepeices
WO Binoviewer.

Edited by George Methvin (11/19/12 04:11 PM)

evilmedic13

Reged: 06/23/12

Loc: Chicago,Il
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: George Methvin]
      #5529155 - 11/19/12 11:51 PM

Between photography and my motorcycles, this is a cheap hobby, for now. I've got more invested in building my plastic models than this as well. The most expensive pursuits I've ever had, were women and beer. The women were well worth it, the beer? I wish I had that money back.
As far as this and my photography goes, I justify it knowing that if my son picks up the interest, all the glass will be his to enjoy. Then again, if he turns out like his mom, the gear is doomed.

pogobbler
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: stevenf]
      #5529327 - 11/20/12 02:45 AM

Quote:

A website can't convince you to spend more, other people can't convince you to spend more... only you can convince yourself to spend more.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: pogobbler]
      #5529362 - 11/20/12 04:19 AM

I have to agree with Tom. A web site(SPEND MORE MONEY) can't convince you spend more, other people (SPEND MORE MONEY) can't convince you spend more...only you can (SPEND MORE MONEY) convince yourself to spend more. It's not like there are subliminal messages here on CN (SPEND MORE MONEY)

Stan

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5529585 - 11/20/12 08:30 AM

There are (spend) No sublimingal (more) messages (money)here. Thank You--this is a public spending message brought to you by the Spend More Money Society.

Edited by csrlice12 (11/20/12 08:32 AM)

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Messyone]
      #5529740 - 11/20/12 10:15 AM

Quote:

The true cost of Astronomy is nothing compared to the cost of my 12 year old daughters ballet classes over the last 5 years
Matt

My other serious hobby than astronomy provides a wonderfully illustrative example. This past weekend, I made roughly $300 refereeing competitive-level U16B soccer games in a huge three-day weekend college showcase tournament, where teams from all over the eastern half of the country came to Raleigh. For example, one of the games I worked was between a U16 team from Houston, Texas vs a team from Kentucky, and there were many teams here from Florida or north up to New York. Soccer teams at this level travel to two, three or more such tournaments each season, in addition to traveling around their local region for regular-season league games. If you are the parents of a serious competitive-level soccer player, now THERE'S an expensive vicarious hobby, and many of the parents also paid to travel with their player to watch the games. Let's see: motel room for three nights, travel costs (really long car trip or flight), meals out, and we haven't got to fees for the soccer-club, tournament entry fees, training fees, etc.

This past weekend alone probably cost an Ethos or two per player. I'm happy that some of that money is flowing downhill into my pockets to finance my astro-equipment and other indulgences. It's even worth getting barked at by surly 16-year old boys and surly coaches with English accents and parents who think they've paid for the privilige of complaining about the refs.

Edited by FirstSight (11/20/12 10:22 AM)

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5530926 - 11/20/12 07:55 PM

The only way the "cost" goes away is when one leaves the hobby..no matter what that may be. "Women" seem to be the most expensive...(sorry ladies).

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5530956 - 11/20/12 08:09 PM

I'm not so sure about the cost, but the value is tremendous.

bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5530972 - 11/20/12 08:22 PM

Disagree immensely. Spending a few hours in the eyepieces forum will make you feel like your equipment is junk.... more often than not there are reports from people who spend five figures or more on eyepieces. There is nothing wrong with this as it is their freedom and they are well educated and offer great advice, but it isn't the type of discussion any beginner should delve into if their prone to spending. Not everyone needs or should own a full set of ethos or would even benefit from this. This is like a beginner surfer reading about how fun and easy it is to surf jaws. There are a half dozen sub forums here that you should not enter if you are happy with your equipment. Its the forbidden fruit that once tasted is a hard road to exit. Its human nature to want what you can't have, but this only happens when you read or see how well others have it.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: bassplayer142]
      #5531009 - 11/20/12 08:45 PM

It's not really as bad as it was in the pre-Internet days. It used to be that most of use were stuck with pretty pathetic equipment. There were 2" eyepieces and so forth out there, but who could afford them? Anybody who could was really gonna make you jealous back then, compared to your Kellners. You are talking about a whole different experience for those who could afford them. These days, you can at least get most of the benefit with a low-cost 2" Chinese unit.

And then there are the big scopes. It used to be that most people would have a small refractor or fairly small reflector. Those scopes could show some things but not too much. Yet, if you were well off, you could have any size scope you wanted. Today, most of us can get a big scope if it suits us. The C-8 was once a pretty grand thing, costing more in the actual uncorrected dollar amount decades ago than it does today!

We are really very lucky. GW

Glen A W
professor emeritus

#5531012 - 11/20/12 08:47 PM

PS - I have believed since 2008 that this is the time to get all the gear you want for the rest of your life. The prices couldn't get any cheaper. GW

HCR32
sage

Reged: 08/27/10

Loc: Australia
      #5531117 - 11/20/12 09:46 PM

Starting off in this hobby can sometimes lead to some cash loss because you really need to find what interests you and alot of that is by trail and error of owning equipment. On my travels I've spent 10s of thousands but I have to say that its money well spent once you know what you really want. Another plus is that even if you pack your gear up and unpack it ten years later it's still very useable and sometimes find that your gear is worth more then you spent on it even though it's been used!

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
      #5531126 - 11/20/12 09:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

My other serious hobby than astronomy provides a wonderfully illustrative example. This past weekend, I made roughly $300 refereeing competitive-level U16B soccer games in a huge three-day weekend college showcase tournament, where teams from all over the eastern half of the country came to Raleigh. For example, one of the games I worked was between a U16 team from Houston, Texas vs a team from Kentucky, and there were many teams here from Florida or north up to New York. Soccer teams at this level travel to two, three or more such tournaments each season, in addition to traveling around their local region for regular-season league games. If you are the parents of a serious competitive-level soccer player, now THERE'S an expensive vicarious hobby, and many of the parents also paid to travel with their player to watch the games. Let's see: motel room for three nights, travel costs (really long car trip or flight), meals out, and we haven't got to fees for the soccer-club, tournament entry fees, training fees, etc.

This past weekend alone probably cost an Ethos or two per player. I'm happy that some of that money is flowing downhill into my pockets to finance my astro-equipment and other indulgences. It's even worth getting barked at by surly 16-year old boys and surly coaches with English accents and parents who think they've paid for the privilige of complaining about the refs.

Yup. AAU basketball here. My daughter doesn't play at the level where we travel a lot but we typically do two tournaments that require three nights in a hotel. Let me tell you that Reno can be quite expensive on Memorial Day weekend when everything is booked up because 900+ teams are in town. Just the session fees and the local tournaments can add up pretty quick. The multi-day travel tournaments just put it over the top.

As for astro costs? Yeah, I've dumped a chunk of change into this hobby in the last few years but to be honest I really don't see the need to spend that much more money. Sure, if a bunch of money drops in my lap I may buy something big (like a larger yet lighter premium scope) but at this point I think the biggest thing left is to build an EQ platform. I'm happy with my gear.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: bassplayer142]
      #5531153 - 11/20/12 10:08 PM

It seems that some can be influenced quite easily into thinking that you must have top dollar merchandise or you cannot run with the Joneses . It really is unfortunate the percentage of human beings that can't rationally think for themselves and feel the need to keep up with the so called Joneses is as high as it is . When still residing in So. Cal. , an observing buddy of mine after visiting our local vendors showroom came away reporting to me that Plossls were no more than beginner eyepieces . Being obviously convinced by a salesperson that works on commission no ? Here that you must spend more to gain a half way decent image of Planetary , Lunar or DSOs entering ones eyeball .
Cheese and Rice !
I've looked through enough so called premium oculars to know that this is just not the case . Of course if one feels the need of having to have more than a 52 degree AFOV or you are effectively trying to view through a drinking straw , then by all means , empty every pocket . But the last time I checked , Plossls are still a most highly chosen ocular design for showing fine detail in Planetary viewing . I have personally compared back to back on numerous occasions repeatedly the Plossl and a premium ocular and found that no more can be seen other than a wider FOV from the latter . Only a quality Orthoscopic would be regarded as superior to a Plossl for fine Planetary detail and the FOV is typically narrower .
Another influence is that one must invest in 2" oculars . With a short focal length scope , quite a wide FOV can be had with 1.25" oculars . In my SN8 , I can grab all of M31 with its companions that an 8" can pull in light with a 32mm Plossl . I like the view with the 26mm better even though the galaxy spills over the FOV just a bit . But with a good wide field scope , much can be saved by not having the need for 2" oculars .
Both of my main scopes are also modest units that I wouldn't call something that breaks the bank , but yet I've more than likely had views with this modest equipment that the masses will probably never see . The viewing location , darkness of the sky and pristine seeing conditions will do more for what can be seen with modest equipment than the most expensive stuff out there with lousy sky conditions can .
So , I'm not made of money like the Gieco biker dude and I refuse to put myself in the poorhouse to try to keep up with the Joneses or attempt to impress others .
The "look at me" syndrome has pathetically run rampant in this society today . What a pathetic trait , having to show off to others no matter what the cost .
People that drive vehicles that are worth more than the structure that they reside in just so they can look cool in the eyes of others of so they might think . A sixty thousand dollar auto and not even a garage to keep it in . I just gotta shake my head in disgust and think ,"what an idiot !" . But it doesn't even stop there ! With the advent of the on board thunder box that these morons ride around with in their trunk , if they can't be seen , well by kracky ! , your gonna hear me ! What utter stupidity ! Look at me ! Look at me ! Look at me ! ... And if you can't , then hear me now ! They're so stupid that they don't even know that they make a target out of themselves . No stealth here ! It just gives you time to go get the rocket launcher .
Life's a stage I guess . This ain't a movie for cryin out loud , it's real life , but I guess the weak minded will just continue to remain easily influenced into thinking they have to have more than what they need or they don't amount to much . Of course everybody wants to be the star of the show . No cameo spot for me !

stevenf
sage

#5531477 - 11/21/12 02:55 AM

Cool story bro.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5531541 - 11/21/12 05:29 AM

Well said.

Regards. Peter

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: jgraham]
      #5531562 - 11/21/12 06:16 AM

Quote:

I'm not so sure about the cost, but the value is tremendous.

Amateur astronomy is a hobby that can be enjoyed on any budget and it's value is not related to the equipment we bring but what we bring inside ourselves.

Jon

highfnum
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/06

Loc: NE USA
      #5531588 - 11/21/12 06:52 AM

I started 1967 with 50 dollar scope
I figure 30k over 40 years
Solar scopes and photo cameras eat money

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: jgraham]
      #5531673 - 11/21/12 08:29 AM

The cost: less then a few counseling sessions.
The views: Priceless; and also result in not needing counseling sessions....

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #5531737 - 11/21/12 09:04 AM

Quote:

The views: Priceless; and also result in not needing counseling sessions....

Some of the "counseling sessions" I've had from Dr. Nagler turned out to be rather expensive. But the therapeutic results have been worthwhile, and long-lasting.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5531907 - 11/21/12 10:39 AM

I have certainly spent my share in the hobby and admit to be somewhat of an equipment junky (especially considering how little time I have to get out under the sky, darn that sleeping thing ). But there are many expensive hobbies. My other hobby/business is restoring vintage musical instruments and they can get quite expensive. Since I got into the astronomy hobby I have spent quite a bit, but I have tried to be careful, research my expenditures and buy used 90% of the time. When possible I even trade to move up in capability. You can spend a lot in this hobby, but can still do it wisely and in many cases you can save money by improving the equipment that you already have due to the good availability of aftermarket vendors and servicers. Personally, the improvement of average equipment to good equipment by tweaking, tuning, and yes, spending, is a fun part of the hobby that I know a lot of people are into (just look at all the DIY people and scope builders out there).

I am personally thankful that this hobby has weathered the great recession fairly well considering that it is far from a necessity for anyone. When I got laid off a few years ago and there were simply no job prospects, I was lucky to be in the hobby and have started an astronomy "hobby" business on the side. Because of that, I was able to make the decision to make the business and hobby my full-time endeavor and avoid loosing everything. While expansion to a full-time business was not in itself cheap or easy, I have been able to benefit from people's willingness to continue to spend in this hobby. I look forward to days when business can do a better job of filling the gap from full-time steady employment, but I have found in past few years that doing something you enjoy for work is more important than the "stability" of a regular paycheck for doing something you don't enjoy and do not plan to go back to that grind.

So on this day before Thanksgiving, I am thankful for amateur astronomers' willingness to continue to spend in these hard times, for if not, my family would be facing a lot more of the trouble that others have faced in the downturn. I encourage people to keep spending, but spend wisely, and when possible, buy American since the benefit to all of us is doubled. If you can afford it, get the "best," but if you cannot, realize that there is a tremendous amount of enjoyment that can be had from equipment that is not the "best". There is no sin in spending any amount of money in the hobby, as long as it does not take food from your table or clothes from your back, but remember that the astronomy hobby is what you make of it, not what you spend on it. It is a hobby that can be enjoyed with anything from a small pair of binoculars to a 1M monster scope. Just be thankful for having a hobby to enjoy and the time to enjoy it.

Thank you for supporting the hobby.
Ed Thomas.

sewhite

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: 57 laps around a star
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: EFT]
      #5532096 - 11/21/12 11:52 AM

Thank you Ed Thomas for sharing word of wisdom with us!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: dlapoint]
      #5532114 - 11/21/12 12:02 PM

Quote:

Astronomy is like camping. You start off with a 29.00 tent and a garbage bag full of blankets. 20 years later your pulling a fifth wheel with your big @ss truck. Its a journey.

Quote:

Its human nature to want what you can't have, but this only happens when you read or see how well others have it.

I don't think that is quite what is going on. For me, it is more like this quote from the movie,The Last Samurai, talking about the Japanese..." They are an intriguing people. From the moment they wake, they devote themselves to the perfection of whatever they pursue. I have never seen such discipline". I think many in this hobby strive for just that...perfection!

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5532141 - 11/21/12 12:18 PM

Quote:

I place the value of the profesional counseling sesions I've had in the past less than the value of the Celestron eyepiece kit I bought that I thought was very nearly useless. Charlatans!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: mich_al]
      #5532376 - 11/21/12 02:26 PM

Then you think a lot more highly of them then I do.....

At least you can use the Celestron Eyepiece as a focuser plug to keep out dirt...

ZeroID
sage

Reged: 04/21/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
      #5532997 - 11/21/12 09:49 PM

It's not a cost, it's an investment.
An investment in yourself and your enjoyment of the hobby. Up to you if you invest wisely.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #5533692 - 11/22/12 10:29 AM

Quote:

Good thought and question, I don't think it's just you - at least I'll raise my hand. I'll never have enough money or clear nights and time for this hobby - that I've resigned myself to.

Cost... absolute, relative, net. Very personal question in many ways IMO. Are you having fun and enjoying the hobby in the overall aspect of your life - vs. if you'd have spent the money elsewhere? If answer is yes then that is fantastic, 'Well done!'

Paying the freight to get here, there's no other way I'd know what I enjoy so I don't lament what it took to get this far. What has kept me on the path is that I get a lot of enjoyment from being on it.

In my way I think it's an exciting time for us amatures as far as all that is out there to have and enjoy. In the big balance sheet of life I am very thankful for that I'll always be able to have plans and something to look forward to. That said I try not to want anything so much I can't enjoy what I have.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5533830 - 11/22/12 11:59 AM

Like many above,
I have spent much over the years,
maybe too much
-clearly too much on equiptment
-probably not enough on travel
about right on books/charts/magazines

but I do not regret the money
sorta like marriage or having kids
-very expensive
-the benefits are well worth it

as I get older I realize that I got a lot that I really didnot need
but it seemed reasonable at the time

If I had a do over
-less optics
-more travel
-start younger in life

edj

Pauls72
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: LaPorte, IN
      #5533851 - 11/22/12 12:17 PM

I don't keep track of the cost of any of my hobbies, as it would probably be depressing at what I have spent on some of them over the years. I purchase the equipment that I feel is right for me and in my price range. Most of it is good and moderately priced but none is extravagant and some is down right cheap. You don't need top of the line equipment to enjoy this hobby.

With no astronomy stores near me anymore, it's kind of hard to do any impulse buying. Yes I can buy it over the internet or phone, but it will be at least 3-5 days before I get it in my grubby little hands, so it really takes away the impulse buying urge. Now days it seems like most manufactures announce their new product at least 6-12 months before it's available, so there is no impulse buying there either.

Quote:

Anyone know how to mount a scope on a Bass boat????

Mounting the scope to the boat is the easy part. It's building the concrete pier in the lake to mount your boat on for stability that's the problem.

SL63 AMG
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Williamson, Arizona
      #5534008 - 11/22/12 02:02 PM

THE BEST investment one can make in this hobby is purchasing a home in a dark sky location.

I know from experience. I spent tens of thousands on equipment and none of it helped me see or photograph a single object in the sky at my previous light polluted home.

Since moving to Arizona, in a location with little to no light pollution, average MPSAS SQM reading of 21.5 and weather conditions that allow me to view the sky 300+ days per year, I have never been happier.

If I sold all of my expensive gear and was left with just a small DOB, refractor, binoculars or even my eyes, I still would be happier.

When I lived back east I never just walked outside, looked up and exclaimed "WOW".

I do that every time I step outside at night here in Arizona.

My move to a dark sky location is priceless and I wouldn't trade it for the most expensive telescope in the world located in a light polluted area.

stevenf
sage

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: SL63 AMG]
      #5534029 - 11/22/12 02:18 PM

I think you make a very good point here Dave. I can only speak for myself, but I know that part of my gear buying addiction (or pathetic weakness as some here would call it) is due to the fact that I live in a location where it's constantly raining, and I'm in the middle of a white zone for light pollution. Collecting and acquiring gear, fiddling with it, trading and selling it...it's a way to get some enjoyment out of the hobby and still feel connected to it, even though I can't actually use it all that often for it's intended purpose.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

#5534032 - 11/22/12 02:20 PM

Quote:

THE BEST investment one can make in this hobby is purchasing a home in a dark sky location.

I know from experience. I spent tens of thousands on equipment and none of it helped me see or photograph a single object in the sky at my previous light polluted home.

Since moving to Arizona, in a location with little to no light pollution, average MPSAS SQM reading of 21.5 and weather conditions that allow me to view the sky 300+ days per year, I have never been happier.

If I sold all of my expensive gear and was left with just a small DOB, refractor, binoculars or even my eyes, I still would be happier.

When I lived back east I never just walked outside, looked up and exclaimed "WOW".

My move to a dark sky location is priceless and I wouldn't trade it for the most expensive telescope in the world located in a light polluted area.

You got that right !

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5534085 - 11/22/12 03:17 PM

Know what you mean. I now live in the Denver Tech Center (think skyscrapers across the street); used to have 5 acres outside of Edgewood, New Mexico. Only lights around were mine. Didn't own a scope then, wasn't a happy time in my life; but I did spend a lot of time just looking at the stars there with the naked eye. The milky way was just that. Sure do wish I had those skies now....

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
      #5534097 - 11/22/12 03:31 PM

Trying to put this in some kind of perspective: Adding it all up, with the most generous assumptions, I still have not spent what one year of college tuition for one of my kids cost.

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

#5535386 - 11/23/12 12:23 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Roger that!

I will add that a ROR Observatory is a nice addition.

Quote:

Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: EddWen]
      #5535433 - 11/23/12 12:50 PM

I don't agree that you need to live under dark skies - you just need to be within driving distance.
Clears,

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Shneor]
      #5536354 - 11/23/12 10:04 PM

Quote:

I don't agree that you need to live under dark skies - you just need to be within driving distance.
Clears,

Besides if everyone did then I suggest those places would be quite a bit less dark.

I stopped keeping track of how much I've spent. It's irrelevant. I wonder what is the cost to my inner self if I don't take part in this hobby that really fills a hole/desire?

As long as I'm not spending more than I can afford then it doesn't matter. If you are then that's different. You can't take any of this "stuff" with you when you go. As a nurse I've been a part of and seen many deaths. At none of them was the person packing anything visible. It's only money/stuff. Live life with no regrets as it's all too short. On the other hand it's far too long to carry the big burdon of regrets.

Oh and the expensive scope in my signature, it was my wife's idea. She's the best.

Bill

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5536923 - 11/24/12 09:51 AM

I sure have NOT read many of the replies...

But I've been in this hobby since the Mid 1950's when I got hooked as a Cub (not boy) Scout..
Astronomy is BY FAR the least expensive hobby that I have..

I'm a serious woodworker and I play around with older Corvettes ...the cars (6 if them) do not even have to leave the garages and they cost me a few thousand dollars a year.. The wood shop does not function without lumber ...

I have not spend a single Penny this year on anything (except a magazine subscription and a few Apps for my table and phone on my Astronomy hobby..

Just my thoughts ...

Bob G

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3819

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics