Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Manny Myles
Postmaster

Reged: 11/29/05

Loc: Far South of the flyover city ...
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5526696 - 11/18/12 07:40 PM

I'd love to see the box the LCP scope came out of, probably one with the 600X viewing power.
With Christmas shopping season just about to kick into high gear, just how many scopes at dept. stores will be pointed the wrong way.
m2

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5526700 - 11/18/12 07:40 PM

Quote:

Its a great commercial, caught your attention didn't it ? and the advertizing continues on here.

Perhaps but they won't deliver to a dark site and certainly not to a GPS coordinate. Besides, as some commented elsewhere, if it doesn't have Papa in the name, it can't be any good.

dan

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: orion61]
      #5526732 - 11/18/12 07:54 PM

Quote:

I don't think they did it intentionally, I remember a couple movies where these things happened, there was one
where a girl was showing a Comet to a Boy, they were looking through the wrong end there too,
I wish I could remember the name of the Movie..Anybody see it?

"A Walk to Remember". Mandy Moore was in it. Yes, I was forced to watch it on my wife's movie night choice. The characters even built a dobsonian.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5526763 - 11/18/12 08:16 PM

I will continue to never buy a Little Caesar's Pizza.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5526811 - 11/18/12 08:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think they did it intentionally, I remember a couple movies where these things happened, there was one
where a girl was showing a Comet to a Boy, they were looking through the wrong end there too,

"A Walk to Remember". Mandy Moore was in it. Yes, I was forced to watch it on my wife's movie night choice. The characters even built a dobsonian.

. The movie "Heartbreakers" with Jenifer Love Hewitt had a scene where on the beach this guy was showing her the Crab Nebula through the eyepiece of what looked to be a 4" refractor . It was too much as the camera rendition of the eyepiece view was an astrophoto in all it's colorful glory and filaments . A Hubble view through a 4" Celestron .
Man ,.... I gotta get one of those !

At least they had the scope pointing the right way
But after he showed her the Crab , he moved the scope a couple degrees and said look ! Here's the Great Globular Cluster in Hercules !

Edited by starrancher (11/18/12 08:49 PM)

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: starrancher]
      #5526815 - 11/18/12 08:47 PM

Quote:

Hollywood , ......... Nuff said .

Except that the chances this commercial was made in Hollywood are slim to none. Probably has more to do with the dumbing down of America. Which Hollywood has played a big part in. Hey, you might have something there.

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5526853 - 11/18/12 09:05 PM

Quote:

I will continue to never buy a Little Caesar's Pizza.

There are a lot of better pizzas out there, that's for sure...

Jaimo!

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: greju]
      #5526950 - 11/18/12 10:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hollywood , ......... Nuff said .

Except that the chances this commercial was made in Hollywood are slim to none. Probably has more to do with the dumbing down of America. Which Hollywood has played a big part in. Hey, you might have something there.

Yeah ! The disease is already widespread .

Jason D
Postmaster

Reged: 10/21/06

Loc: California
      #5527288 - 11/19/12 03:15 AM

We, the astro-community, who make up 0.001% of the population, are laughing at how the other 99.999% were fooled by this commercial. But the joke is on us in the event the other 99.999% read this thread and the other similar threads. They would tell us to "get a life" and not to read too much into a simple commercial.
The 99.999% see a son and a father bonding in the field. We, the 0.001%, are blinded by the fact the telescope was setup improperly.
I believe the commercial is great. I am certain the commercial will indirectly give the idea to few fathers to get into astronomy as a fun hobby to bond with their kids.
I believe Little Creasers cares less about what the 0.001% think. I believe they care more about the other 99.999% and it happens that the 99.999% did not notice any improper scope setup.

Manny Myles
Postmaster

Reged: 11/29/05

Loc: Far South of the flyover city ...
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: Jason D]
      #5527373 - 11/19/12 06:14 AM

I believe some one in the 99.999% group will notice when they buy some cheap scope set it up as they saw on LCP's ad and it can't see anything but dirt.
m2

Jason D
Postmaster

Reged: 10/21/06

Loc: California
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: Manny Myles]
      #5527578 - 11/19/12 09:55 AM

Quote:

I believe some one in the 99.999% group will notice when they buy some cheap scope set it up as they saw on LCP's ad and it can't see anything but dirt.
m2

Have some faith in the 99.999%. We, the 0.001%, are not more (or less) intelligent than the 99.999%.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: Jason D]
      #5527741 - 11/19/12 11:26 AM

Well except for those who devoutly believe that the moon landings were faked, that UFOs are constantly abducting assorted swamp-dwellers, that the world will end on Dec. 21, etc.

The bell curve is real. Some folks are more intelligent than others, and I suspect they are heavily represented in all hobbies and interest fields where a firm familiarity with science and technology are required. There are just a lot of people who could never get this hobby because they lack a combination of simlpe smarts and diligence. Some years ago a critic named William A. Henry wrote a small book called "In Defense of Elitism" with the thesis that it really is not a bad thing to be bright, hard working, studious and productive. Not so politically correct these days I know, but in general if you show me an amateur astronomer I can pretty well assure you that you are dealing with a pretty smart cookie.

gdd
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5527763 - 11/19/12 11:36 AM

The scope is obviously a refractor with a secondary mirror and a newtonian focuser at the bottom end.

Gale

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: gdd]
      #5527799 - 11/19/12 11:56 AM

The nice bright light is also misrepresentative and did anyone notice at the very beginning the car still has its headlights on and its blocking the road??? There is nothing right at all done here....

stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: Manny Myles]
      #5527817 - 11/19/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

m2

Hopefully they're not getting all their telescope handling knowledge solely from a pizza commercial.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5527879 - 11/19/12 12:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

. The movie "Heartbreakers" with Jenifer Love Hewitt had a scene where on the beach this guy was showing her the Crab Nebula through the eyepiece of what looked to be a 4" refractor . It was too much as the camera rendition of the eyepiece view was an astrophoto in all it's colorful glory and filaments . A Hubble view through a 4" Celestron .
Man ,.... I gotta get one of those !

At least they had the scope pointing the right way
But after he showed her the Crab , he moved the scope a couple degrees and said look ! Here's the Great Globular Cluster in Hercules !

Celestron, "Bringing the Heavens to You" model, only $56,000(US)....always knew they were good scopes...

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5527978 - 11/19/12 01:31 PM

Well, Jason, i think your point about the Dad & son activity is valid- and i'll second your kudo's to Li'l Sneazers for their attempt. Who knows- it may yet yield fruit!

We can all HOPE that the (continually growing ) list of boofs in this piece are also continually overlooked by the 99.99 percent.

Yet the point remains that we astroheads are out-of-sync with the culture at large, dare i say to astronomical proportions. So another crack at humor might go:
"Gee, those Little Caesar people sure don't know anything about astrology, do they"

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: Mike B]
      #5528066 - 11/19/12 02:15 PM

Alfred Hitchcock would say the telescope is a MacGuffin- an object used to advance the story (in this case commercial).

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: tecmage]
      #5528300 - 11/19/12 04:08 PM

Did anyone else notice that they seem to have wrapped the bottom (now the top/front) of the OTA to make it larger like the objective end of a refractor? The bottom line is this was a prop - heck, they may have taken the primary out to make it lighter for all we know.

Sure, we know it is (or perhaps was?) a newt but in the end it is just a prop. The fact that they wrapped something around the OTA even goes to prove my point; they just wanted something that looked like a huge scope and in the eyes of 99.999% of the people that means a refractor. (Ever notice that if John Q. Public walks up to some one with a refractor that they ask "what are you looking at?" but if they walk up to someone with a newt they ask "what is that?")

stargazer2020

Reged: 03/18/12

Re: New Little Caesars Pizza Commercial w/Scope new [Re: ThreeD]
      #5707858 - 03/01/13 09:43 PM

Still, there is no excuse for setting it up wrong. That's just plain lazy. Unless of course they wanted to look at their shoes. (I know, I know, focal length...they're too close to see shoes. But if that dad can tell his son they can see stars looking through the wrong side of a scope, I can say they can see shoes)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6733

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics