Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment new [Re: starrancher]
      #5617511 - 01/11/13 04:01 PM

Sister in law's 92 Cherokee--less than 35,000 miles--caught fire and burned up on the side of the road....electrical short....unfortunately, bought used, out of warranty..... but her old Chevy pickup was well over 200K when it finally died...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5617564 - 01/11/13 04:31 PM

Quote:

More Subaru propaganda...

Two Australian brothers drove from the UK to Australia in a high-mileage second generation Forester:...

You can drive a Subaru across large bodies of water. Is there anything that all wheel drive won't do?

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5617572 - 01/11/13 04:38 PM

Quote:

My scope hauler was a 2003 Nissan Frontier extended cab with a shell but someone totaled it while it was parked. Now we have a 2004 Nissan Frontier extended cab with a cap. On a long trip, it gets about 26-27mph. Last May-June we did 7,000 miles of camping and visiting... On the freeway around here, about 25mph.

Jon, a 2004 Frontier is also what my wife are using to haul both an Obsession 18" U-C and a 10" Newtonian, both with platforms. I have been known to say not very nice things about the U-C design, but that scope delivers when it comes to being compact. The truck has a gutless 2.5L engine, and its freeway gas mileage has been closer to 24 mpg.

Tom

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5617591 - 01/11/13 04:59 PM

Many Hondas and Toyotas also have timing belts that require costly replacement at around 100k miles. Subaru's new engines have moved to "lifetime" timing chains.

No Nissan, Toyota or Honda car-based AWD vehicle has off-pavement capabilities even close to Subaru's AWD system. Religious tire rotation (which by the way is recommended for *any* vehicle) is a relatively small maintenance item to address in order to get an AWD system that works as well as most two-range, open differential truck-based 4WD systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6-ERc-DfhA&playnext=1&list=PL6AC38C85...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MXK2nzt2Y

Epic fail.

The best cars money can buy, some say.

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/19/subaru-best-cars/

Regards,

Jim

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5618035 - 01/11/13 09:17 PM

Quote:

Sometimes you have to get out of the library and experience real life. One example does not a reality make. So many experts...so many opinions.

Stan

Easy to try four different eyepiece brands. A little more problematic with automobiles, at least on my budget.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: csrlice12]
      #5618186 - 01/11/13 10:59 PM

Quote:

Sister in law's 92 Cherokee--less than 35,000 miles--caught fire and burned up on the side of the road....electrical short....unfortunately, bought used, out of warranty..... but her old Chevy pickup was well over 200K when it finally died...

Bummer about that Jeep . That thing shoulda gone 360k easy . Taken care of the 4.0 straight 6 cyl tractor motor should go a half million miles .
All my Jeeps have the stock radios and cassette players in them . Actually they are all stock except for the addition of a CB radio mounted under dash and a K&N filter element in the air boxes .
Point is that I've seen vehicles burn to the ground due to an aftermarket radio that was installed incorrectly . Even a place that installs radios like Best Buy can screw up and burn ya to the ground . Nobody's going into my dashboards .
No tellin what the culprit was in this case but if aftermarket electronics were installed maybe ...... Aftermarket alarm ?

Darenwh
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/06

Loc: Covington, GA
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5618200 - 01/11/13 11:15 PM

2005 Ford F150 extended cab. Gas mileage is poor at 16mpg (Fords largest gas v8) but I got it used w/ a fiberglass cap two years ago for 13k with only 32k miles on it. Looks nearly new and is paid off. Since I only use it for Astro and the boat I am not worried about the gas. It's cheaper than a payment. Carry's everything and has plenty of room for more. Super reliable and parts/labor are cheap. What more could I want from it?

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5618244 - 01/11/13 11:53 PM

Quote:

Sometimes you have to get out of the library and experience real life. One example does not a reality make. So many experts...so many opinions.

Stan

Stan:

I am not quite sure what your point is... It is true that I keep an eye on the Consumers Report reliability records and Suburu's are not up there with the Honda's, Toyotas and Nissans... And reading the fuel economy stuff, they're not that good at that either....

For someone who views a car as a practical tool, buys used cars, those two factors pretty much ruled out a Suburu for me...

Jon

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

#5618598 - 01/12/13 08:35 AM

2004 Hummer H2 pulling my 20'x8 1/2' mobile observatory.

Tony

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
      #5619063 - 01/12/13 01:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Stan

Stan:

I am not quite sure what your point is... It is true that I keep an eye on the Consumers Report reliability records and Suburu's are not up there with the Honda's, Toyotas and Nissans... And reading the fuel economy stuff, they're not that good at that either....

For someone who views a car as a practical tool, buys used cars, those two factors pretty much ruled out a Suburu for me...

Jon

Jon,

My point is that choosing the right vehicle is not an easy thing to do. It is defiantly NOT an exact science...

When I testify in court about a certain problem with a vehicle and the expert witness for the other side testifies, it comes down to who tells the best story...not who's right.

Stan

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
      #5619192 - 01/12/13 02:36 PM

We have a Prius and a Ford Explorer. The Prius (with cargo box) we used for years on our trips to Utah with the NP-101, the C8, a dog, and a week's worth of camping gear. The new dob fits in the Prius fine, but if I go to Utah in the Prius I suffer from 4x4 envy..., so maybe this year it will be the Ford. Together, they keep our gas expenditures at a reasonable level. We need the Ford because of where we live. I hated buying a Prius, but did it for my wife and now I must admit that I like it a lot--great car.

Dark skies.

Jack

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: mountain monk]
      #5619233 - 01/12/13 03:03 PM

Suburu:

Suburu is far and away the most popular vehicle in Jackson Hole and has been for years. We have a solid six months of winter. So you have an issue that often comes up here: numbers versus experience. I do not look at reports, I ask people what their experience is, and the yes vote is solid-Suburu. I've never owned one, I tend toward trucks, but everyone I've know who owns them loves them.

Dark skies.

Jack

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5619285 - 01/12/13 03:31 PM

Quote:

Jon,

My point is that choosing the right vehicle is not an easy thing to do. It is defiantly NOT an exact science...

When I testify in court about a certain problem with a vehicle and the expert witness for the other side testifies, it comes down to who tells the best story...not who's right.

Stan

Stan:

I agree 100%. It's important to know yourself, your needs and have some sort of strategy. I am very much a K.I.S.S type, simple cars last longer than fancy cars, there is less to go wrong with them. Roll up windows are simpler, much less expensive to fix and more reliable. Cars are not toys, I just want some thing economical, reliable, and safe. When I buy it, I want it to have another 100,000 miles in it, when I am finished, it's a beater...

Jon

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5619514 - 01/12/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

Sorry! DRL = Daytime Running Lights.

Daytime running lights that won't turn off really bite. One of the stupidest "accessories" automotive manufacturers ever came up with. It goofs up far more than just telescoping. I too will never again fail to check this out before buying. It just never occurred to me at the time that this could be an issue.

When I first started stargazing is when I first removed a bulb from a dome light. Interior lights that can switch off are a fine fine thing.

As others, I too do not buy new vehicles. I've found Consumer Reports to be a great resource for helping to figure out good used candidates. Specifically for mechanical reliability. Some makes and models do do better some years. Because their systems do or don't get redesigned, when they should or shouldn't have been, as they weren't broke or needed reworking. Year and model often matter significantly more then the make of the vehicle IME.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: izar187]
      #5619545 - 01/12/13 05:56 PM

DRL are a safety device, not an accessory. They are mandated in some countries like Sweden, Denmark and others. The ability to turn DRL or any other safety device would defeat the purpose. There are ways around them, but if some one came into my shop and ask me to turn them off, I had to refuse. It is illegal to remove, alter, or disconnect a safety device.

Stan

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: izar187]
      #5619601 - 01/12/13 06:31 PM

Quote:

Year and model often matter significantly more then the make of the vehicle IME.

I have been reading the reliability reports since early 1960's. I read it the other way... there are certain manufacturers who make cars that are all very reliable.. There are certain manufacturers who seem unable to make a car that is reliable.

It's pretty difficult to find a Toyota that is not significantly more reliable than other vehicles. Hondas seem to be quite good too.

Jon

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

#5619628 - 01/12/13 06:45 PM

Quote:

DRL are a safety device, not an accessory. They are mandated in some countries like Sweden, Denmark and others. The ability to turn DRL or any other safety device would defeat the purpose. There are ways around them, but if some one came into my shop and ask me to turn them off, I had to refuse. It is illegal to remove, alter, or disconnect a safety device.

Stan

My 2010 Camry SE had a DRL override on the headlight switch, so I could go with or without them. That's why it never occurred to me to check the RAV4 when I bought it, thinking that the override was a standard Toyota feature. My wife's 2004 Scion xB does not even have DRLs.

As far as I know, they are not mandatory in the US, so why would it be illegal to disable them?

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5619653 - 01/12/13 06:57 PM

If I were to disable a safety devise, mandatory or not, I am exposing myself to the liabilities from any action, be it accident, citation, or anything else even remotely involving the devise. In the state of California it is illegal to mess with a safety device regardless if it mandated or not.

Stan

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

#5619656 - 01/12/13 06:59 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Stan.

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Re: Vehicles Use for Transporting Telescope Equipment [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5619713 - 01/12/13 07:36 PM

Can't beat my Subaru Forester for this hobby

Plenty of room for hauling my gear to "off road" sites.

to set up my equipment

for those once in a lifetime shots

Be Well
Grey

Edited by Greyhaven (01/12/13 07:39 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10239

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics