Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: Raginar]
      #5657111 - 02/01/13 08:53 PM

I went to a talk last year by Brother Guy Consolmagno of the Vatican observatory here in Arizona. He a coauthor of the great book "Turn Left at Orion." He had some very interesting ways to look at the beginning of the universe in both a both comological and religious way. But there was some 20-something there who had clearly come just to challenge the speaker. Even my 15-year-old daughter thought the guy was a *BLEEP*.

I subsequently had Br. Guy come and give a talk for our club (I'm the vice president and have the responsibility of arranging speakers) and am having someone else from the Vatican observatory come this year.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PaulEK
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/25/08

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: EFT]
      #5657254 - 02/01/13 10:18 PM

I've seen Brother Guy on The Colbert Report. He was pleasant and kind, and thoughtful. I don't agree with him on origins, but I think he'd be okay with that, and it wouldn't occur to me to challenge him at a forum where he was a guest, unless I was invited there to do so.

PaulEK
professor emeritus

Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: PaulEK]
      #5657256 - 02/01/13 10:19 PM

(Not that I see me being invited somewhere to debate him.)

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5658297 - 02/02/13 02:56 PM

http://zenpencils.com/comic/52-phil-plait-welcome-to-science/

Highly relevant comic (just this strip, though the rest of them are also brilliant, just not relevant for the ongoing discussion here).

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

PaulEK
professor emeritus

#5658310 - 02/02/13 03:04 PM

Yes, I like Zen Pencils! (But that tripod in the last panel is going to make the girl's intro to science less enjoyable. )

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5658477 - 02/02/13 04:44 PM

Hey, at least its not pointed towards the ground.......

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: droid]
      #5658677 - 02/02/13 06:23 PM

I go to college now, though I am older than the other students. Kids these days are very dumb in science. They are also incredibly social. They struggle constantly with math and physics, though they are not unintelligent. Many of them are also functionally illiterate, though they can read. They also can do nothing alone.

I cleaned up my college's scopes and attempted to stir up interest but found none - absolutely none. And then if someone does want a look they are disappointed.

The great thing about astronomy is that the 1/30 of 1% who are cut out for it will find it. I am certain about that. And so, it stays a beautiful topic and interest for us. If you got even 1% of the population involved, it would change so much it would not be any good any more. Call me a snob or elitist, but it's true. GW

PaulEK
professor emeritus

Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: Glen A W]
      #5658738 - 02/02/13 07:05 PM

Glen:

I'm sorry to hear what you say. I work in a small town in Minnesota, which has a branch of the state university system. They have an active astronomy club, mostly made up of students. It's not big, but neither is the college.

I'm also on the school board where I live (across the border in Wisconsin), and though I'd agree that lots of kids are not very good at science, I find that lots of others are. When I was in high school and college 30-35 years ago, I found things pretty much the same. And looking further back, until the 1940s most Americans didn't graduate from high school. The high school graduation rate is still steadily climbing (currently at 86% for folks 25 and over). Our culture has always been, overall, anti-intellectual, but I haven't experienced an overall decline in the ability or desire of kids. Kids are immature, and the older I get, the more I find their foolishness apparent, but when I think about it, I really see no difference between them and me at that age. Boy oh boy, did I do some stupid stuff!

My son, an admittedly very bright 6th-grader, is learning math now that I didn't study until 11th grade (so are 17 others in his middle school's sixth grade). He's always been challenged by his teachers to think and learn as much as he can, and so have his peers. (And I'm not saying that because I was on the school board; I was elected less than a year ago.) That's very different from my overcrowded classes in the 1960s, where I was just another of the 36 or so kids who did the exact same work as everyone else in the room, even though it bored me to distraction.

All of this said, I was the Teaching Assistant for the English Department at my very small college in rural Minnesota in the early 1980s, and I was blown away by the lack of writing skills of some of the students I tutored. Some were not capable of writing even simple sentences, even though they could speak very clearly. Most, though, wrote just fine, and some were brilliant. I just, understandably, spent most of my time with the poor writers.

bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
      #5659963 - 02/03/13 01:08 PM

I did my high school in a small private school That i liked very much...So in my will ,it says that I leave all my astronomy and astrophotography equipment to that school with a letter ,I didn't yet wrote ( I will very soon ),with instructions ,internet sites ,and local astronomy clubs contacts so that experienced amateur astronomers and astrophotographers will coach them on how to use the equipment. hopefuly that will spark interest from teachers as well as the kids.
Maxx

PaulEK
professor emeritus

Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5660300 - 02/03/13 04:27 PM

Maxx:

Great idea!

I'm starting on a plan to work with my school district to build an observatory on a piece of land they own, the School Forest, where kids do nature study. There's a restored prairie, a few acres of open land surrounded by forest. A small roll-off roof building would fit in nicely. I would donate some of my equipment, and put some more on loan to the district, to put the building in immediate use.

bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
      #5660356 - 02/03/13 05:01 PM

Quote:

Maxx:

Great idea!

I'm starting on a plan to work with my school district to build an observatory on a piece of land they own, the School Forest, where kids do nature study. There's a restored prairie, a few acres of open land surrounded by forest. A small roll-off roof building would fit in nicely. I would donate some of my equipment, and put some more on loan to the district, to put the building in immediate use.

Glad you like the idea. Your idea is very good too...Congrats !

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5662069 - 02/04/13 04:22 PM

Quote:

They are remaking Cosmos. I wonder why. It's Fox, even, doing the remake. PBS did the original. How's that for contrast?

I doubt that they'd bother unless they felt that there would be an audience for it, and they could make a buck. I also applaud them for finally branching out into non-fiction. A first for Fox, I'm pretty sure.

- Jim

Your not Fox bashing are you Jim ? One might think you'd be advocating MSNBC as being a fact based broadcast .

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: oo_void]
      #5662073 - 02/04/13 04:26 PM

How about those FortyNiners !!!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: You want cheaper equipment? Another perspective. new [Re: starrancher]
      #5662254 - 02/04/13 06:22 PM

Yea, they lost despite Baltimore's worst effort......

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5072

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics