Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5649542 - 01/29/13 12:08 AM

I would never get rid of my Telrad! I absolutely love using it, with my Telrad charts. I've tried straight-thru finders, and the pain in my neck made me quickly get rid of them. My Telrad is on a short riser, along with a RACI, and a 5mW laser. I use the Telrad almost exclusively, while observing!

Big & clunky? Yep; but my 16" dob is no dainty princess!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5649603 - 01/29/13 01:22 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

Should you get rid of the Telrad? You can if you want to. It's as simple as that. There is no good or bad about it if doing so fits your needs. As for me, I find that as the years go by, I am using the Telrad more than ever before, both alone and in combination with my 9x50 RACI finderscope. It is indeed fairly low to the scope's tube but not excessively so, as I can still look through it on my 14 inch Dob without much neck strain. Dew? I have the Astrosystems dew shield installed, and if it still somehow gets dewed-up, I just clear it off with a soft piece of cloth and go right on observing. I use the pattern-making ability of the 3-rings of the reticle to find faint non-naked eye targets as well as to step off extended star hops (one advantage the 3-rings have over the 2-rings of the Rigel Quickfinder). Is the Telrad a little bulky? Yes. Could it be made a little higher or better? Yup, it could. However, the plain truth is that as-is, the Telrad just plain WORKS! That is all I care about. Clear skies to you.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5649778 - 01/29/13 07:13 AM

Quote:

Telrads might be nice, but they can't do it all.

Mike

Well they won't pour out the Rebel Yell at the end of the run, but under dark skies, a Telrad can get you bang on the money everytime.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5649779 - 01/29/13 07:15 AM

Quote:

One of the great features of both the Telrad and the ES finder is that they are straight-through erect-image non-reversing. The natural orientation is the easiest and simplest for getting one's initial bearings in the sky and beginning the process of star hopping to the intended object. And because of the natural orientation, both Telrad and ES finder have a large surrounding skyview beyond the window or eyepiece that blends into the view of the finder. The advantage of the ES finder is that the section of sky shown in the eyepiece is magnified and shows dimmer stars than can be see with the naked eye - or Telrad.

My Newtonians are always fitted with straight through finders, I well versed in keeping both eyes open to the first guide stars or a bright star or region. But once you are in the region, it's one eye only and that wide field view is lost.

The advantage of the Telrad is that you can accurately position the scope in relation to the wide field of view and quite often, that is more than sufficient to put a target that is invisible in a magnifying finder in the field of view.

For me, the optimal setup is both a Telrad and a Straight through magnifying finder... Only a straight through works too but the Telrad is about all I need if the skies are dark.

Jon

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5649823 - 01/29/13 08:10 AM

faackanders2,

Quote:

Even with dew or ice I can still use the telrad. Since we have two eyes I use one eye looking at the telrad circles and the other eye looking at the location in the sky (bypassing the telrad) and the brain superimposes both images, hence you can still use it to find objects. I only stop observing when all eyepieces dew or ice up (or I get tired or cold).

I can't do that. If the Telrad window is dewed over it is useless to me. I need to keep the dew strip prong under the Telrad window and set to high all night to prevent dewing. Otherwise I'll have to wipe off the window - front and back - every 15 minutes. Not a very efficient use of one's time.

Quote:

My 8x50 find almost always dews up and then I can't use it. 8x50 finder is only good when I can see object in it at 8x.

The best way to prevent dew on a finder is to attach a long dew/shield to the objective end and a dew strap to the eyepiece end. Problem solved

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5649836 - 01/29/13 08:19 AM

Don,

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Well they won't pour out the Rebel Yell at the end of the run, but under dark skies, a Telrad can get you bang on the money everytime.

If mine gave out a Rebel Yell, I'd definitely get rid of it! I can't even stand those folks who like to play a guitar or chat loudly while I'm at the telescope.

I don't see a Telrad alone leading anyone to a dim stellar planetary, a faint galaxy in a galaxy cluster or a tiny loosely-scattered OC in the midst of a Milky Way star field. There are many objects up there that need the additional help of a printed star chart, Sky Safari, optical finder and/or a finder eyepiece to locate.

A Telrad will not do it all. It needs some help.

Mike

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5649839 - 01/29/13 08:25 AM

Quote:

I don't see a Telrad alone leading anyone to a dim stellar planetary, a faint galaxy in a galaxy cluster or a tiny loosely-scattered OC in the midst of a Milky Way star field. There are many objects up there that need the additional help of a printed star chart, Sky Safari, optical finder and/or a finder eyepiece to locate.

Mike

It's not much good without an observer, that's for sure. But I can put many a faint galaxy right in the eyepiece of my 16 inch with only the Telrad to guide me.

Jon

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5649847 - 01/29/13 08:31 AM

Don,

Quote:

2.Too close to the tube with the provided mounting.

Also, the mount provided with the ES has an Antares shoe. They should have gone with the ubiquitous Synta shoe. All my scopes have Synta shoes or Synta compatible shoes on the OTA - well, except for that new C6. That would have made it much easier to move the ES finder from one scope to another.

I really don't want to attach the provided Antares shoe to any of my scopes. I'll probably buy another finder mount and shoe that's compatible with the Synta format. That will also give me a chance to hunt for a mount that lifts the finder a bit higher off the OTA than the Antares mount that came with the ES.

Anyone have suggestions for a new finder mount?

For the C6, I might need to buy longer screws to fit a Synta shoe. I'll have to see. But I don't think I'll keep the Antares mount and shoe. They will be sold.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5649848 - 01/29/13 08:32 AM

Jon,

Quote:

It's not much good without an observer, that's for sure. But I can put many a faint galaxy right in the eyepiece of my 16 inch with only the Telrad to guide me.

So you are not using a finder eyepiece in the focuser? And you are doing all this from memory? No printed maps, goto, DSC, SkySafari or SkyTools?

Very impressive!

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5649857 - 01/29/13 08:41 AM

Don,

Quote:

3. No mounts for flat finder boards.

I have no idea what this means. So it would probably not affect anthing that I'm doing.

Quote:

4. Illuminated reticle WAY WAY too bright on dimmest setting (fixed with two drops of dark brown fingernail polish on the LED).

I find the same problem with every illuminated eyepiece or finder I've ever had. I still have a little jar of red touch-up paint from a previous car that works great to tone down the lights.

Quote:

5.Short battery life in illuminator.

Shouldn't be any worse than the batteries in my other illuminated cross-hair/reticle gizmos. They seem to last at least a year for me. I can only go to my dark site once or twice a month, if I'm lucky. But when I'm there, I stay for about six hours, and the reticle light is on the entire time.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5649873 - 01/29/13 08:56 AM

So I definitely need to get a new 50mm finder mount compatible with Synta shoes before I can even test out the ES finder. I'm not going to bother drilling holes in any of my scopes for the included Antares shoe. The finder mount and shoe will be sold.

I tried fitting the ES finder into one of my 50mm three-screw mounts, but the finder is too wide.

So any suggestions for a mount? I want one that will lift the ES finder relatively high off the OTA, but I don't expect anything like a Telrad riser.

I was thinking about starting a new thread just on this topic. But a new Synta-style mount is essential to my using and testing the ES finder, so I'm asking in this thread first.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5649881 - 01/29/13 09:03 AM

This is one option:

ScopeStuff 50mm Finder Scope Rings

Quote:

$49.00 - #FRS8 - fits Synta/Orion type finder shoes, a common finder base for many imported scopes. Inside ring diameter is 2.4".

The stalk looks like it sits fairly high off the shoe.

Here is the Synta shoe:

Quote:

$22.00 - #RDPB - Orion/Synta Type Finder Mounting Shoe, 0.785" (20mm) Hole Spacing

Scope Stuff also has a Synta shoe that should fit my C6. I'll have to check the hole spacing. But no sense putting that Antares shoe on the C6.

Quote:

$26.00 - #RDPS - Orion/Synta Type Finder Mounting Shoe for SCTs, Hole Spacing up to 1.5"

By the way, that #FRQB mount and shoe on the ScopeStuff webpage looks like the Antares type that I received with the ES finder.

Mike

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5649884 - 01/29/13 09:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Jon

Yep. I do it all the time.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5649893 - 01/29/13 09:12 AM

Rex,

You're getting the same treatment as Jon:

So you are not using a finder eyepiece in the focuser? And you are doing all this from memory? No printed maps, goto, DSC, SkySafari or SkyTools?

Very impressive!

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5649907 - 01/29/13 09:28 AM

Here is another 50mm finder mount. It looks sturdier and maybe higher than the one from ScopeStuff. But at $116, it's over twice as expensive. From the look of it, I'm not sure if it's compatible with the standard Synta shoe, though the description does say "fits Vixen Style, Synta and Celestron Dovetails."

Baader Planetarium Multipurpose Quick Release Finder Bracket

Mike

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

#5649909 - 01/29/13 09:30 AM

Quote:

Don,

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

If mine gave out a Rebel Yell, I'd definitely get rid of it! I can't even stand those folks who like to play a guitar or chat loudly while I'm at the telescope.

Mike,

Rebel Yell is a bourbon, not an actual yell.

Back to the Telrad discussion...

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5649920 - 01/29/13 09:43 AM

Quote:

That's why I always use Telrad charts. With this combination, finding objects is easy, & a lot of fun.

Another nice thing about the Telrad is the battery usage. I bought mine in 1995; and recently changed the batteries for the first time; not that the originals were dead, simply because I had extra batteries, & thought "what the heck". It's on from the moment I start observing, & is the last thing I turn off! The Telrad sits in my observatory year around, in heat & cold.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5649922 - 01/29/13 09:43 AM

Quote:

Rebel Yell is a bourbon, not an actual yell.

Actually, before it was a bourbon, it was an actual yell. Take a look here.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #5649923 - 01/29/13 09:43 AM

You can tell I'm strictly beer and wine. But if the Telrad poured out Rebel Yell, I might just keep it.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5649928 - 01/29/13 09:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's why I always use Telrad charts. With this combination, finding objects is easy, & a lot of fun.

But I never found those Telrad charts much good for the smaller, dimmer and more difficult to star-hop objects. I usually need to supplement them with deeper star charts or Sky Safari. That's why I sold all my Telrad charts.

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5288

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics