Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5650515 - 01/29/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

But often not as accurate as a good optical finder. Certainly, a Telrad is all that's needed for many of the Messier objects, large and bright star clusters, brighter double stars and the like. But for small faint DSO, especially ones in a rich star field, an optical finder or "finder eyepiece" is a much more accurate tool.

See David's post below. I am not as skilled as the person David is mentioning but I am finding far more than Messier objects, bright clusters, bright double stars. For example I can place the group of galaxies that includes NGC5444 in the field of view of my 16 inch or even the 25 inch. Last year I was quite tired and was having the devil of a time finding Hickson 68, a favorite group. Instead I found the 9th magnitude Globular 5466... I had reversed Arcturus and Alkaid.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5650609 - 01/29/13 03:38 PM

I actually use both the Telrad and the RACI. I'll find the object with the Telrad, then check in the RACI to see if what I'm looking for is in the FOV of the finder (usually is). It's also usually in the scopes FOV too; just like to check before looking thru the eyepiece.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5650634 - 01/29/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I hate the Telrad! I have turned down the purchase of used scopes because it was mounted to them. In my mind it devalues them. I think for dobs they may be the right choice, but when I see these slapped on top other scope types...I cringe!!! Just me and my own hang-up!

I'm of the same belief. They add nothing to a scope's looks especially classics. Only possible exception would be a dob. Mike

Who cares what the scope looks like? It is what you look *at* with the scope that is important, and for that, the Telrad can make the finding experience a lot easier. If I see the Telrad on either a multi-thousand dollar high end refractor or a little home-brew Dob, I know the user of each scope truly understands the value of that simple little reticle finder. Clear skies to you.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5650773 - 01/29/13 05:14 PM

Quote:

If mine gave out a Rebel Yell, I'd definitely get rid of it!

More's the pity!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5651026 - 01/29/13 07:46 PM

Come on now, all that was settled many moons ago. But it seems we're still feuding over Telrads.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5651065 - 01/29/13 08:05 PM

Don,

Quote:

Quote:

David,

Quote:

Well Mike, for ID-ing a single galaxy in a galaxy cluster, the Telrad alone might or might not be enough. However, the same could be said for some optical finders.

Yes, this is true. But for me the important point is to position the location of the object in the main telescope's eyepiece. To do that, I don't need to see the object itself in the Telrad or the optical finder. The optical finder, however, will show me the location more accurately and allow me to position that location more precisely in the eyepiece.

Mike

You aren't looking for faint targets, then. Most of the objects I've been viewing recently aren't visible in a 50mm finder either, because they're too faint or too small. I'd need a 100mm finder just to begin to see the faint spots and even then that might not be enough.

I don't get the point. Or maybe you didn't get my point. I try to make myself clear, but I don't always succeed.

I was just saying that, yes, I don't see most of the objects I'm looking for in the optical finder. But I do see their location.

In other words, I can see the specific grouping of stars that surround the object. That's all I need. It's not necessary to actually see the object itself in the finder. I center the location of the object - as shown by SkySafari on my Android tablet - behind the crosshairs of the optical finder. No, usually I don't see the object in the finder. That is precisely because it is a faint target I'm looking for. But I will see it in the eyepiece of my main scope.

And for me, I like to have that extra magnification and ability to see fainter stars that the optical finder gives me beyond the naked-eye view of the Telrad. These advantages help me to get a better fix on the location of the faint object, even if I can't actually see it until I look in the main telescope.

When I'm looking in the optical finder, the most important thing is getting the location centered precisely, whether or not I can actually see the intended object. For many faint objects, centering that location is much easier to do with a finder that magnifies and brightens the environs of the object.

Remember, I don't usually have a "finder eyepiece" in the focuser of the telescope. I think many people - I'm not saying all - rely on a "finder eyepiece" to find the object after star hopping with the Telrad. Then they may switch to a shorter focal length for a higher power view. I go from a quick look through the Telrad, to a star hop with the optical finder to center the location of the object, then straight to a medium to higher power eyepiece in the telescope - depending on the object.

So, AFAIK, many observers are actually using that "finder eyepiece" in lieu of an optical finder after positioning the scope with the Telrad. I'd rather do most of my star hopping with the optical finder.

To each their own. Whatever works.

Mike

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5651132 - 01/29/13 08:42 PM

Well, we're agreed. if your star charts go a few magnitudes deeper than naked eye, an optical finder is the way to identify the field location.
Bear in mind that a lot of dob owners use BOTH types of finders on their scopes.
And for what it's worth, a lot of DSOs are visible in a 50mm finder.
Sometimes I've been surprised at how many.

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North
      #5651157 - 01/29/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

Well, we're agreed. if your star charts go a few magnitudes deeper than naked eye, an optical finder is the way to identify the field location.
Bear in mind that a lot of dob owners use BOTH types of finders on their scopes.

I use both...

Jaimo!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5651309 - 01/29/13 10:36 PM

Don,

Quote:

Yes indeed. As I'm star hopping with the optical finder, I'm comparing the view in the finder with the star positions in SkySafari on my tablet. The tablet is light enough that I can hold it in one hand as I look through the finder. But the tablet is 10.5" wide, large enough to give me a nice easy vista for star hopping in context.

I prefer this method to any involved use of Telrad degree circles, preplanning star hops based on those circles, and making a series of extended hops with the Telrad. My method takes not much more planning than generating an Object List in SkySafari. That's about it. No need to draw a series of Telrad circles on charts and preplan star hops. I do all of that on-the-fly by the telescope at the dark site.

Quote:

I think maybe most of us use both types of finders. So do I. I'm just considering replacing the Telrad with the ES finder, which would give me a straight-through erect-image view like the Telrad, but with more magnification and the ability to display dimmer stars. That is something I've wanted ever since I first started using a Telrad.

Quote:

That's true. And even more are visible in a 70mm! I was lucky to find a little bargain basement 70mm achromat with a surprisingly good objective, that I could upgrade to become a very nice finder and RFT.

Mike

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5651596 - 01/30/13 04:14 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the length of the Telrad permits a greater distance between the reticle and the viewing window, which reduces parallax. With the small Rigel Quickfinder, if you move your head behind it you will see the reticle shift relative to the star field. You don't see as much of that with a Telrad.

RogerRZ
Whatta you lookin' at?

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Joe Bergeron]
      #5651616 - 01/30/13 05:05 AM

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, the length of the Telrad permits a greater distance between the reticle and the viewing window, which reduces parallax. With the small Rigel Quickfinder, if you move your head behind it you will see the reticle shift relative to the star field. You don't see as much of that with a Telrad.

Mine is mounted at the front of my MN65, which is in turn mounted high enough to need a step stool to reach the eyepiece.

I always view through the Telrad from the back of the OTA, roughly three feet away. That's very decent eye relief. :-)

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: RogerRZ]
      #5651630 - 01/30/13 06:02 AM

Yes, it's your scope, do what you want.

I use Sky Commander or Argo Navis on my push to mounts. I often have a TEC-140 on a Discmount DM-6 and a large dob set up for viewing. I have a Telrad on a bracket on the top of my Discmount so I don't have to put it on the tube of my TEC-140. I have another Telrad on the OTA of the Obsession 20F5. I can't imaging using a large truss dob without a Telrad.

Here are my reasons to use the Telrad.

Not sensitive to eye placement, can be used with eye several feet behind Telrad.
Get's you to the star neighborhood before getting on the tall ladder.
Quickest way to show the public or other astronomers where your scope is pointed at.
After finding object with first scope, just move second scope to match up Telrads.
Fasted way to know your scope is pointed to the correct alignment star when setting up DSC.
Batteries last forever, don't event worry about remembering to turn it off.
Lots of sky charts and astronomy apps support using the tetrad circles.
When used with a great wide field eyepiece, you may not need a 2nd optical finder.
Large lever makes it easy to adjust brightness to match observing situation.
It's inexpensive and just works.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: JMW]
      #5651773 - 01/30/13 08:24 AM

I think for now I might attach the ES finder to my C6 to get a feel of how it performs in the field before I start drilling holes in my 10" OTA. The bracket screws that came with the C6 are too short to attach the ES finder mount. I need longer M4 screws to mount the ES finder.

The 6x30 finder that came with the C6 is OK if all I'm going to look at is the Moon and planets. But for locating and observing DSO and double stars, I want a finder that is erect-image non-reversed with some magnification, in other words, the ES finder.

It may turn out that I only use the ES finder on my C6, 5" Dob, and maybe my 150mm Mak and 8" Dob. One finder that can perform the combined functions of a Telrad and optical finder would be very good for those smaller scopes. I might keep the team of Telrad and 15x70 finder for my 10" Dob. They have worked very well for me at my dark site.

Mike

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5652544 - 01/30/13 03:26 PM

Quote:

One finder that can perform the combined functions of a Telrad and optical finder would be very good for those smaller scopes. I might keep the team of Telrad and 15x70 finder for my 10" Dob. They have worked very well for me at my dark site.

That's very similar to what I do. All my Newtonians have straight-through magnifying finders. 8 inches and below, there isn't room for a Telrad so I just use a magnifying finder. The Dobsonians also have Telrads...

Jon

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5653038 - 01/30/13 07:10 PM

One feature that most straight-through finders lack that Telrads - and the ES finders - have is an erect-image non-reversed orientation. Most straight-through finders have an inverted image, like the Dobsonian view.

I suppose one thing that the usual straight-throughs have in their favor is that at least they do match the orientation of the main telescope when the main telescope is a Dobsonian. In practice, though, I don't think that this really helps much.

I'd rather that the first line of attack in locating and observing DSO be a finder which has a view matching the natural orientation of my eyes looking skyward. One of the main reasons I picked up the ES finder is that its orientation matches that of the Telrad, printed star charts and my naked-eye.

But I do like a simple, light-weight straight-through inverted finder on scopes when I only intend to observe the Moon and planets. In that case, a little 6x30 straight-through is good enough, and IME & IMO, actually better than a Telrad or red-dot finder. Locating and centering - or recentering - the Moon and planets in the finder is even easier when the finder magnifies a little. And of course, you are looking directly at the object in the sky when you are positioning it behind the crosshairs, so there is none of the frustration that can be caused by having a right-angle finder as the first line of attack.

Mike

Luigi
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/07

Loc: MA
      #5654737 - 01/31/13 05:26 PM

Holy cow. Lot's of posts...I didn't read them all but in case these haven't been mentioned, I'll add two things:

A blinking reticule helps a lot. I built a little homebrew circuit to accomplish that.

You can look through the Telrad with binoculars. This works better for a SCT, MCT, refractor or similar on mount than it does for most dobs. You can pan around the view with the bins to get the lay of the land and figure out where you are. For trickier star-hops in sparse fields, I use the telrad for very basic aiming, look through it with my bins to see dimmer stars and refine the aim, then use the finder on the scope.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Luigi]
      #5654980 - 01/31/13 08:10 PM

Hi Luigi,

When I'm at my dark site, I just turn the Telrad way down, almost off. That seems to work well enough. The QuickFinder has blinking capability, but I don't think I've ever used mine at the dark site, only at home for grab-n-go viewing.

I've tried looking through the Telrad with binoculars and also a little monocular. That never worked very well for me. This was on Dobs, though. I even tried rigging up a monocular or half of a binocular behind the Telrad. Seemed like a good idea, but I could never get it right in practice.

This basic idea of wanting magnification and the ability to go a bit deeper with a straight-through illuminated finder is why I picked up the ES finder.

Mike

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #5655043 - 01/31/13 08:46 PM

I prefer the RACI or even straight through finer to the telrad. On my 12" Dob the angle at which I have to hold my head just is too uncomfortable for me.Plus because of severe inner ear balance issues the placement of my head to use the telrad can set off vertigo, not fun when viewing alone.
The regular finders can be easily aligned during set up before dark I find this very handy. I have 2 telrads and 1 2" riser and would part with them way sooner than I would do without my magnifying finders.
Be Well
Grey

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5655061 - 01/31/13 08:54 PM

Quote:

I prefer the RACI or even straight through finer to the telrad. On my 12" Dob the angle at which I have to hold my head just is too uncomfortable for me

What kind of chair are you using?

Jon

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Should I Get Rid of the Telrad? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5655851 - 02/01/13 09:00 AM

I was able to find longer screws to attach my ES finder to the C6. The ES bracket has four screws for attaching the mount, but the C6 only has two screws available on each side of the focuser. Of course, the ES finder and mount is heavier than the 6x30 setup. If I were to add a 2" VB and diagonal, and/or a Crayford focuser, there might be a problem balancing the C6. I might run out of dovetail. But so far, I'm resigned to the fact that a 1.25" setup is best for this little scope.

The ES finder seems pretty secure when attached by only the two screws. I've held the OTA with ES finder and moved it into various positions. The finder appears to be steady as a rock. Though it would have been a bit easier for grab-n-go if I'd left the 6x30 finder on the C6.

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5399

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics