Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
taylornate

Reged: 01/04/13

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: coopman]
      #5662302 - 02/04/13 06:54 PM

I just ordered the Starbound Amazon knockoff. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: SeptemberEquinox]
      #5662397 - 02/04/13 08:01 PM

My Starbound chair is my most valuable accessory, worth every penny. Don't make the mistake of confusing price with value.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Paul G]
      #5662559 - 02/04/13 09:54 PM

Quote:

My Starbound chair is my most valuable accessory, worth every penny. Don't make the mistake of confusing price with value.

+!

The Starbound is not the same product as those "work chairs" on Amazon.

Funny what we complain about. I think it's interesting that people will consider buying a cheap mattress set for a bed. And use it for 10 or 20 years. The truth is, most of us spend 1/3 of our life in bed. If you live to 85, that's 28 year of your life in bed. 28 YEARS! And you want cheap?

Most observing is done sitting. Cheap doesn't help your back or your butt. Treat your body to something nice for a change.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5662841 - 02/05/13 02:03 AM

Quote:

Treat your body to something nice for a change.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: coopman]
      #5663055 - 02/05/13 08:32 AM

Firstsight makes a good point about holding the "seat" when setting; its also true if you decide to "adjust" your position (don't try to take your weight off and plop back down on it, or you'll be in refractor viewing territory). But; as long as you are a little careful, they work fine (besides, if you're gonna fall on your fanny, best to do it in the middle of nowhere).

Paul G
Post Laureate

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5663241 - 02/05/13 10:11 AM

Quote:

Firstsight makes a good point about holding the "seat" when setting; its also true if you decide to "adjust" your position (don't try to take your weight off and plop back down on it, or you'll be in refractor viewing territory). But; as long as you are a little careful, they work fine (besides, if you're gonna fall on your fanny, best to do it in the middle of nowhere).

Yeah, it's a pretty short learning curve.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5663444 - 02/05/13 11:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, it's a pretty short learning curve.

As Chris mentioned, it is important to keep a hand, preferably two hands, under the seat until you are seated. Sometimes I hear of people having problems with the Starbound slipping when sitting down, I have never had it happen in the 10 or 12 years I have had one. I was just experimenting with the chair, I do think I may have hit upon the difficulty.

To release the seat, first you stand to take the pressure off the seat, then you lift from the front of the seat under your thighs to release the seat. If your hands are towards the back under your butt, the seat does not release and you just lift the chair.

Then you position the seat where you want by raising it or lowering it with your legs with your hands under the released seat.

Once positioned, to lock it, you first slide your hands backwards under your butt and then release the pressure while keeping your hands there as a precaution. Sliding your hands backwards, changes the balance of the seat so it is heavier in the front and it locks.

If you do not slide your hands backward before releasing it, balance is towards the rear, the seat is still free to move and the seat will just rotate and fall if you release it. This is the critical step, sliding your hand back under your butt before releasing the seat.

---------------

All this sounds very complicated but is only the analysis that is complicated, the actual process is very natural and intuitive. Of course now that I have taken to actually analyze each and every motion, I will probably have to think it through each and every time I use the chair...

Jon

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5663625 - 02/05/13 02:00 PM

Quote:

All this sounds very complicated but is only the analysis that is complicated, the actual process is very natural and intuitive. Of course now that I have taken to actually analyze each and every motion, I will probably have to think it through each and every time I use the chair...

Jon, I think a short frame by frame film of this process would be in order or perhaps an animation like the collimation guys do.

BTW I love my starbound, purchased in part due to your recommendation

Eric

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5663759 - 02/05/13 03:19 PM

"All this sounds very complicated but is only the analysis that is complicated, the actual process is very natural and intuitive. Of course now that I have taken to actually analyze each and every motion, I will probably have to think it through each and every time I use the chair..."

Nah, after your butts hit the ground a couple of times, you catch on.....or not

Paul G
Post Laureate

#5663770 - 02/05/13 03:23 PM

The only issue I had with the Starbound is the ends of the metal legs eventually cut through the rubber feet. I solved this by using rubber crutch tips on the legs, put a quarter (25 cent piece) in the bottom of the rubber foot to prevent the sharp edge of the metal from cutting through. The fix was permanent.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5663775 - 02/05/13 03:25 PM

The fix was permanent.

Tell me that if your sister knows its there..........

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
      #5663784 - 02/05/13 03:32 PM

I have my starbound and I put a coin in the bottom and that works. More importantly I built my own observing chair that I just love.

Mark Costello
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
      #5663943 - 02/05/13 05:00 PM

Quote:

I'm shopping around for an observing chair and it kills me to see how expensive it is. I think all of the astronomical equipments are over priced.

Which chairs do you guys have and which one would you recommend?

Hi there September Equinox. I can't make a recommendation for an astro-chair to buy although maybe Bill Weir might have something there IMHO. But while you're trying to figure that out and if needed save money for one, let me recommend that in the meantime you just find something lying around that works in a pinch at least most of the time. I've been using a two-step folding chair-ladder for the last nine years. It's not perfect, I have to do some standing when viewing objects closer to the horizon, but it's been good enough for me to just keep putting off buying a real astro-chair. (Maybe I'll ask Santa for one. ) Maybe a bar-stool, drum throne, or something like that will do in the meantime, something you might have around the house that will get you seated for most of the time and work until you're ready to spend what's needed for a real astro-chair.....

Take care,

stratocaster
sage

Reged: 10/27/11

#5664155 - 02/05/13 06:49 PM

Quote:

"All this sounds very complicated but is only the analysis that is complicated, the actual process is very natural and intuitive. Of course now that I have taken to actually analyze each and every motion, I will probably have to think it through each and every time I use the chair..."

It's like trying to describe how to tie your shoes.

Doc Bob
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/27/09

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: stratocaster]
      #5664248 - 02/05/13 08:00 PM

. . . all of these comments validate the reason I bought a Stardust chair!
Ya, it's a little more expensive - but it will hold 400+ pounds, set the chair in the desired height slot and then just sit; violently if you wish - it will not collapse and hurt you ! ! !

Bob

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#5664269 - 02/05/13 08:18 PM

Quote:

OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY?

If they are overpriced, build your own, there are lots of ideas and plans out there. Be sure to show photos of your procedure and progress. Maybe others will build their own as well.

Now if you come up with some really great ideas, you could start building them to sell to others. Just make sure that they are well made and inexpensive!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Doc Bob]
      #5664270 - 02/05/13 08:18 PM

StarBound, StarDust, StarSearch.....at some point in time, we all fall on our butt and completely embarrass ourselves....

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5664278 - 02/05/13 08:28 PM

Quote:

I now have two Starbound chairs, one for each place. I bought the first one about 12 years ago. I have never had a problem with it slipping.

Jon

JohnH
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/05

Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: pdfermat]
      #5664313 - 02/05/13 08:59 PM

Quote:

I know what you mean, but after getting my Catsperch Summit, I can see SO much more while observing seated. I'm a firm believer that it really is like adding inches of aperture.

If you have some woodworking skills and the time, you can build one fairly cheap.

I agree that being comfortably seated for observing is great especially for people like me who spend a lot of time on thier feet for work and have back issues.

The wooden one I made a few years back was modeled on ones I'd been seeing for years at Table Mountain Star Party so I followed suit.

Mine is a folding design with a pivot at the top made of doweling. Oak forms the bulk, with walnut for an accent.

I got asked by someone if I built one for him and I came up with $275. He asked why so much and I told him there were pieces in there turned on a lathe as commercial dowels were the wrong size, the feet were hand carved with nice curved feet with a wide stance for balance and had three coats of spar ureathane for water resistance.

It can be adjusted in seat height from about 12 inches to nearly 50, the difference between my Cassegrain pointed straight up and my next telescope I have planned, an 18 5/8" f/4 Newtonian.

Edited by JohnH (02/05/13 09:06 PM)

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5664318 - 02/05/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

.....at some point in time, we all fall on our butt and completely embarrass ourselves....

Prob'ly true. In my case it was 'cuz i'd fallen asleep momentarily in my Stardust chair.

One possible conclusion: The Stardust chair is awfully comfortable?

Have considered taping inverted thumbtacks to the seat to deal with this problem...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3639

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics