Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
SeptemberEquinox
sage

Reged: 01/29/12

OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY?
      #5660931 - 02/03/13 11:48 PM

I'm shopping around for an observing chair and it kills me to see how expensive it is. I think all of the astronomical equipments are over priced.

Which chairs do you guys have and which one would you recommend?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pdfermat
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/12/07

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: SeptemberEquinox]
      #5660946 - 02/03/13 11:54 PM

I know what you mean, but after getting my Catsperch Summit, I can see SO much more while observing seated. I'm a firm believer that it really is like adding inches of aperture.

If you have some woodworking skills and the time, you can build one fairly cheap.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: pdfermat]
      #5660957 - 02/04/13 12:05 AM

I have a Starbound observing chair which I got for $150, which makes the observing experience enormously more comfortable and enables much better stamina to observe much longer before fatigue overcomes enthusiasm and enjoyment to force an end to the night. $150 is no more than you'd invest in a single mid-range (good, but sub-premium) eyepiece, and yet is more valuable than any couple of eyepieces for enabling much better, more enjoyable observing.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5661000 - 02/04/13 12:35 AM

Do a search for CPRO-800LP - at the moment amazon has it for ~$86 shipped. The exact same chair when tagged as an "observing chair" runs around $135+shipping at other sites.

That said, I have a Starbound chair that I use on occasion, but can be a little cumbersome if you're quickly scanning around the sky. Another option great for 8" dob owners would be a ~$20 pneumatic adjustable roller seat from Harbor Freight.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5661006 - 02/04/13 12:40 AM

Quote:

I'm shopping around for an observing chair and it kills me to see how expensive it is.

go to HD buy some oak and make one.

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
      #5661013 - 02/04/13 12:51 AM

Quote:

I think all of the astronomical equipments are over priced.

Unfortunately it is true that a lot of stuff marketed to the astro community gets ridiculous markups.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: core]
      #5661016 - 02/04/13 12:56 AM

Whew- excellent tip! Googling that gets you an Amazon site where *three* chairs are depicted. On the SmartAstronomy site the same three are depicted, with more clearly labeled ID's... and specs. I have the "Stardust" chair, which looks to be the one labeled "CPRO-600". It has the greatest range for height adjustment, and is actually a wee bit lighter in weight. But the $85 price tag on the other is awfully attractive!

Yet using a Dob (as i do), the 13" seat height of the 600 is utilized ALL the time, so it's definitely the deal for me! Your needs might vary, by scope. If you use a 'fractor, ya MIGHT wanna consider a seat that converts into a ground-mat! (they're known for getting the EP pretty low-down for viewing at zenith )

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
      #5661017 - 02/04/13 12:57 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

Quote:

Do a search for CPRO-800LP - at the moment amazon has it for ~$86 shipped. The exact same chair when tagged as an "observing chair" runs around $135+shipping at other sites.

When I did that search I found this also http://tinyurl.com/bny85o3 Personally I prefer something like this. I have a stainless steel surgical chair I took out of the garbage at my hospital. It's stable, easily adjustable and I can swivel around back and forth between the eyepiece and my table with charts and other eyepieces.

It is adjustable enough to use even with my scope like this and even higher.

Bill

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5661125 - 02/04/13 04:19 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Quote:

It is adjustable enough to use even with my scope like this and even higher.

Bill

One advantage of a dedicated astro chair like the Starbound is that it has a greater range of possible heights than a swivel chair or a Harbor Freight adjustable stool. The lower end of the range, close to ground, is important when observing with refractors. The height also instantly adjustable, two hands under the seat and stand up a bit is all that is necessary. It's so easy I often reposition the seat just to use the finder.

In addition, the Catsperch chairs provide much higher seat heights with foot rests, 42 inches for the standard model. Eyepiece heights that normally require standing are possible seated.

I think the prices for dedicated observing chairs are very reasonable. The astronomy market is a small one, chairs like the Starbound and the Catsperch are specifically designed for astronomy and make the observing experience much more enjoyable. $150-$300 for a tool I use each and every night, one that transforms the observing experience, it's worth every cent and then some. I would rather part with my beloved 31mm Nagler than either my Starbound or Catsperch chairs.

Jon

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5661176 - 02/04/13 06:32 AM

Quote:

I'm shopping around for an observing chair and it kills me to see how expensive it is. I think all of the astronomical equipments are over priced.

Part of the reason for the expense is economy of scale. Astronomy equipment companies cater to a small niche market, so they can't crank out high quality gear 24/7 like other products. Profit margins for such companies is actually pretty slim, I would imagine. If we want good products, it has to be worth the maker's while, or we make it ourselves.

I have a Starbound chair, and despite the expense, it has proven itself to be a great investment, in my opinion.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5661196 - 02/04/13 06:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Part of the reason for the expense is economy of scale. Astronomy equipment companies cater to a small niche market, so they can't crank out high quality gear 24/7 like other products. Profit margins for such companies is actually pretty slim, I would imagine. If we want good products, it has to be worth the maker's while, or we make it ourselves.

I have a Starbound chair, and despite the expense, it has proven itself to be a great investment, in my opinion.

In general this is true, but not with the chairs being discussed here. A quick visit to Amazon will show you that the exact same chairs discussed here are significantly discounted when they are called "work chairs". Call it an observing chair and suddenly its value goes up 50 percent? No special niche manufacturing going on here I am afraid.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5661239 - 02/04/13 07:51 AM

Quote:

In general this is true, but not with the chairs being discussed here. A quick visit to Amazon will show you that the exact same chairs discussed here are significantly discounted when they are called "work chairs". Call it an observing chair and suddenly its value goes up 50 percent? No special niche manufacturing going on here I am afraid.

Huh?

Several besides myself have mentioned the Starbound and the Catsperch chairs, they are being discussed here. As far as I know these were the two originals and both chairs were designed and specifically manufactured for amateur astronomy. They do the job and are well worth the money. I don't think you will find them on Amazon for $80.

Jon

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5661245 - 02/04/13 07:57 AM

Another vote for the CPRO-600 from Amazon. A non-astro version of the Stardust chair (it's identical) and about $40 less. Great chair!

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5661260 - 02/04/13 08:15 AM

Build your self a Denver Observing chair. If you have to buy everything you're only looking at, probably about $35.00. Works great and is completely adjustable.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5661354 - 02/04/13 09:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Amazon link for starbound chair

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
      #5661374 - 02/04/13 09:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Huh?

Several besides myself have mentioned the Starbound and the Catsperch chairs, they are being discussed here. As far as I know these were the two originals and both chairs were designed and specifically manufactured for amateur astronomy. They do the job and are well worth the money. I don't think you will find them on Amazon for $80.

Jon

While they are less expensive than the Starbound chairs, it looks like these "work chairs" have those widely spaced rungs in them. Adjusting a Starbound chair in the dark by only a couple inches becomes second nature. It's well worth the higher cost for an infinitely adjustable chair. The Catsperch and Denver observing chairs are great, but they occupy significant space when they're packed up, which can be important.

Tom

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #5661398 - 02/04/13 09:53 AM

Jon, you have the exact white Starbound chair I do! I concur that the cushioned seat's ability to adjust all the way right-at-ground level is extremely useful for observing objects in refractors at high altitude angles. One of the advantages of the Starbound design is the ability to set it at any arbitrary height within its considerable range, rather than only at one of a set of incremental notches.

Which brings up a VERY important practical point about Starbound (and other observing chairs of similar design): because the seat is secured at any given height purely by weight and friction (by weight of the seat alone when the observer isn't sitting in it)...when you're not actually sitting in it providing a secure amount of friction, the seat is vulnerable to being easily jarred inadvertently into falling all the way to the against-the-ground position. PROVIDED you're not in the process of seating yourself down on it at the moment this happens, it's but a minor annoyance , but you can take an awkward spill if it happens just as you're attempting to lower yourself onto the seat. THE PREVENTIVE REMEDY is to always put a hand onto the seat and apply light pressure as you begin to sit down, rather than simply plop your rear down on it as you might on a couch. With this precaution taken, the Starbound-type chair is perfectly safe and satisfactory to use, and I'd recommend it.

I don't find it at all awkward or heavy to carry out in just one hand, either vertically by the top loop of its frame, or horizontally somewhere in the middle of the frame. The biggest practical issue is with transporting it in a vehicle, because the seat is not easily detachable from the frame, and so you have to set the seat in a sort of intermediate position and pack other gear around it.

Baxstar

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Netherland
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5661538 - 02/04/13 11:07 AM

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1871035/page...

I really like this design!

Casper

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Baxstar]
      #5662257 - 02/04/13 06:24 PM

I have a chair that adjusts from 6.5" to 30.5" (measured), and doubles as a stool/ladder with railings to hold onto (!) for young children or small adults and folds flat for storage, and weighs less than many observing chairs:
http://www.starmastertelescopes.com/chair.htm This allows me to stay seated when my 12.5" f/5 scope is pointed at the zenith.

If you don't need a back or arm rest, the TeleVue Air Chair (21" to 28") is also very nice:
http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=70
It is close to the optimum SCT chair for <12" SCTs.

With low volume comes higher costs. I've seen adjustable drummer's stools at music supply stores and they're not any cheaper than the TeleVue and often more.

Edited by Starman1 (02/04/13 06:26 PM)

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5662264 - 02/04/13 06:28 PM

I have the Star Dust Chair and it's worth every penny that I paid for it, IMO. No matter what scope I take out, it goes out the door with me.

taylornate

Reged: 01/04/13

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: coopman]
      #5662302 - 02/04/13 06:54 PM

I just ordered the Starbound Amazon knockoff. Thanks!

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5662397 - 02/04/13 08:01 PM

My Starbound chair is my most valuable accessory, worth every penny. Don't make the mistake of confusing price with value.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Paul G]
      #5662559 - 02/04/13 09:54 PM

Quote:

My Starbound chair is my most valuable accessory, worth every penny. Don't make the mistake of confusing price with value.

+!

The Starbound is not the same product as those "work chairs" on Amazon.

Funny what we complain about. I think it's interesting that people will consider buying a cheap mattress set for a bed. And use it for 10 or 20 years. The truth is, most of us spend 1/3 of our life in bed. If you live to 85, that's 28 year of your life in bed. 28 YEARS! And you want cheap?

Most observing is done sitting. Cheap doesn't help your back or your butt. Treat your body to something nice for a change.

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5662841 - 02/05/13 02:03 AM

Quote:

Treat your body to something nice for a change.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: coopman]
      #5663055 - 02/05/13 08:32 AM

Firstsight makes a good point about holding the "seat" when setting; its also true if you decide to "adjust" your position (don't try to take your weight off and plop back down on it, or you'll be in refractor viewing territory). But; as long as you are a little careful, they work fine (besides, if you're gonna fall on your fanny, best to do it in the middle of nowhere).

Paul G
Post Laureate

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5663241 - 02/05/13 10:11 AM

Quote:

Firstsight makes a good point about holding the "seat" when setting; its also true if you decide to "adjust" your position (don't try to take your weight off and plop back down on it, or you'll be in refractor viewing territory). But; as long as you are a little careful, they work fine (besides, if you're gonna fall on your fanny, best to do it in the middle of nowhere).

Yeah, it's a pretty short learning curve.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5663444 - 02/05/13 11:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, it's a pretty short learning curve.

As Chris mentioned, it is important to keep a hand, preferably two hands, under the seat until you are seated. Sometimes I hear of people having problems with the Starbound slipping when sitting down, I have never had it happen in the 10 or 12 years I have had one. I was just experimenting with the chair, I do think I may have hit upon the difficulty.

To release the seat, first you stand to take the pressure off the seat, then you lift from the front of the seat under your thighs to release the seat. If your hands are towards the back under your butt, the seat does not release and you just lift the chair.

Then you position the seat where you want by raising it or lowering it with your legs with your hands under the released seat.

Once positioned, to lock it, you first slide your hands backwards under your butt and then release the pressure while keeping your hands there as a precaution. Sliding your hands backwards, changes the balance of the seat so it is heavier in the front and it locks.

If you do not slide your hands backward before releasing it, balance is towards the rear, the seat is still free to move and the seat will just rotate and fall if you release it. This is the critical step, sliding your hand back under your butt before releasing the seat.

---------------

All this sounds very complicated but is only the analysis that is complicated, the actual process is very natural and intuitive. Of course now that I have taken to actually analyze each and every motion, I will probably have to think it through each and every time I use the chair...

Jon

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #5663625 - 02/05/13 02:00 PM

Quote:

All this sounds very complicated but is only the analysis that is complicated, the actual process is very natural and intuitive. Of course now that I have taken to actually analyze each and every motion, I will probably have to think it through each and every time I use the chair...

Jon, I think a short frame by frame film of this process would be in order or perhaps an animation like the collimation guys do.

BTW I love my starbound, purchased in part due to your recommendation

Eric

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5663759 - 02/05/13 03:19 PM

"All this sounds very complicated but is only the analysis that is complicated, the actual process is very natural and intuitive. Of course now that I have taken to actually analyze each and every motion, I will probably have to think it through each and every time I use the chair..."

Nah, after your butts hit the ground a couple of times, you catch on.....or not

Paul G
Post Laureate

#5663770 - 02/05/13 03:23 PM

The only issue I had with the Starbound is the ends of the metal legs eventually cut through the rubber feet. I solved this by using rubber crutch tips on the legs, put a quarter (25 cent piece) in the bottom of the rubber foot to prevent the sharp edge of the metal from cutting through. The fix was permanent.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5663775 - 02/05/13 03:25 PM

The fix was permanent.

Tell me that if your sister knows its there..........

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
      #5663784 - 02/05/13 03:32 PM

I have my starbound and I put a coin in the bottom and that works. More importantly I built my own observing chair that I just love.

Mark Costello
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
      #5663943 - 02/05/13 05:00 PM

Quote:

Hi there September Equinox. I can't make a recommendation for an astro-chair to buy although maybe Bill Weir might have something there IMHO. But while you're trying to figure that out and if needed save money for one, let me recommend that in the meantime you just find something lying around that works in a pinch at least most of the time. I've been using a two-step folding chair-ladder for the last nine years. It's not perfect, I have to do some standing when viewing objects closer to the horizon, but it's been good enough for me to just keep putting off buying a real astro-chair. (Maybe I'll ask Santa for one. ) Maybe a bar-stool, drum throne, or something like that will do in the meantime, something you might have around the house that will get you seated for most of the time and work until you're ready to spend what's needed for a real astro-chair.....

Take care,

stratocaster
sage

Reged: 10/27/11

#5664155 - 02/05/13 06:49 PM

Quote:

"All this sounds very complicated but is only the analysis that is complicated, the actual process is very natural and intuitive. Of course now that I have taken to actually analyze each and every motion, I will probably have to think it through each and every time I use the chair..."

It's like trying to describe how to tie your shoes.

Doc Bob
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/27/09

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: stratocaster]
      #5664248 - 02/05/13 08:00 PM

. . . all of these comments validate the reason I bought a Stardust chair!
Ya, it's a little more expensive - but it will hold 400+ pounds, set the chair in the desired height slot and then just sit; violently if you wish - it will not collapse and hurt you ! ! !

Bob

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#5664269 - 02/05/13 08:18 PM

Quote:

OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY?

If they are overpriced, build your own, there are lots of ideas and plans out there. Be sure to show photos of your procedure and progress. Maybe others will build their own as well.

Now if you come up with some really great ideas, you could start building them to sell to others. Just make sure that they are well made and inexpensive!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Doc Bob]
      #5664270 - 02/05/13 08:18 PM

StarBound, StarDust, StarSearch.....at some point in time, we all fall on our butt and completely embarrass ourselves....

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5664278 - 02/05/13 08:28 PM

Quote:

I now have two Starbound chairs, one for each place. I bought the first one about 12 years ago. I have never had a problem with it slipping.

Jon

JohnH
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/05

Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: pdfermat]
      #5664313 - 02/05/13 08:59 PM

Quote:

I know what you mean, but after getting my Catsperch Summit, I can see SO much more while observing seated. I'm a firm believer that it really is like adding inches of aperture.

If you have some woodworking skills and the time, you can build one fairly cheap.

I agree that being comfortably seated for observing is great especially for people like me who spend a lot of time on thier feet for work and have back issues.

The wooden one I made a few years back was modeled on ones I'd been seeing for years at Table Mountain Star Party so I followed suit.

Mine is a folding design with a pivot at the top made of doweling. Oak forms the bulk, with walnut for an accent.

I got asked by someone if I built one for him and I came up with $275. He asked why so much and I told him there were pieces in there turned on a lathe as commercial dowels were the wrong size, the feet were hand carved with nice curved feet with a wide stance for balance and had three coats of spar ureathane for water resistance.

It can be adjusted in seat height from about 12 inches to nearly 50, the difference between my Cassegrain pointed straight up and my next telescope I have planned, an 18 5/8" f/4 Newtonian.

Edited by JohnH (02/05/13 09:06 PM)

Mike B
Starstruck

#5664318 - 02/05/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

.....at some point in time, we all fall on our butt and completely embarrass ourselves....

Prob'ly true. In my case it was 'cuz i'd fallen asleep momentarily in my Stardust chair.

One possible conclusion: The Stardust chair is awfully comfortable?

Have considered taping inverted thumbtacks to the seat to deal with this problem...

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5664330 - 02/05/13 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Agree--well said!

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5664490 - 02/05/13 11:30 PM

Jon's photo of his Dob in front of the "Mittens" has got to be one of the greats .

On another note ;
I'm amazed how many are not aware that being seated comfortably while viewing , drastically enhances what you'll see at the eyepiece . It was one of the first things I learned in the hobby .
I tried viewing while standing a couple times . I couldn't even keep my eye over the ocular . Not only that , but a about fell right over .

Littlegreenman
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/09/05

Loc: Southern California
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: starrancher]
      #5664530 - 02/06/13 12:29 AM

I consider a good chair to be an essential part of an observing kit:

1. telescope
2. mount (integrated into the scope if you have a dob)
3. eyepieces, at least two and a Barlow
4. chair
5. proper attire for weather
6. mosquito protection if needed
7. coffee

Going over the above list, I think during my lifetime I will spend the most money on the last item, just in small amounts over time. Compared to other hobbies or fanaticism, astronomy can be relatively cheaply. And you can start cheap and add on over time.

I used to have a TV air chair, very nice, easily adjustable. A while back I read some posts here regarding other 'drummer's thrones' that worked fine and were under $100. Off topic tale: once I was setting up in a National Forest. The Air Chair was out, but not much else. A couple of local Sheriffs stopped to see why a car was stopped at a turn out at night. Seeing the air chair one asked me what I was doing with a drummer's chair--was I going to be setting up drums and playing them in the middle of the night out in the forest?!!

LGM

Edited by Littlegreenman (02/06/13 12:35 AM)

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Littlegreenman]
      #5664707 - 02/06/13 06:45 AM

An observing chair costs $179 from the astro shop.

I stack plastic outdoor chairs for my observing and it is useful, if cumbersome way to adjust height! They cost less than $10 each at my local hardware store.

I find a stack of 5 chairs to be good for my 12" and 4 for my 8" and that pretty much covers all elevations.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5664819 - 02/06/13 08:54 AM

Nah, just a couple of bare wires hooked up to your PowerTank.......

Mike B
Starstruck

#5665720 - 02/06/13 05:38 PM

Um, no thanks. I get that done quarterly, starting mid-April.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5665781 - 02/06/13 06:16 PM

Quote:

I couldn't even keep my eye over the ocular . Not only that , but a about fell right over.

Same thing happened to me--but, I think it was the Jameson.

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: OMG Observing Chairs are so expensive, WHY? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5665797 - 02/06/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I couldn't even keep my eye over the ocular . Not only that , but a about fell right over.

Same thing happened to me--but, I think it was the Jameson.

I actually prefer J&B but that wasn't the culprit . I kinda hung that up a few years ago . Stone cold sober , I can't seem to stay without sway while trying to observe . Don't know why as otherwise I have pretty decent balance .

rflinn68Moderator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
      #5665822 - 02/06/13 06:42 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Just make you one. I made this one myself. Its modeled after Starmasters Starstep Observing Chair.

plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
      #5665836 - 02/06/13 06:50 PM

Quote:

StarBound, StarDust, StarSearch.....at some point in time, we all fall on our butt and completely embarrass ourselves....

Well I've never fallen off my Stardust chair, but I have fallen over it a few times. Get a white one or at least some LED blinkers....

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Reged: 04/16/06

Loc: Utah
      #5666032 - 02/06/13 09:18 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

I saw this chair posted last year an bought it from Amazon for 86 dollars, and it is great , think the only change is they use a manufacture #, rather than a name.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4179

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics