Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Any tents that can stand up to high wind?
      #5662515 - 02/04/13 09:26 PM

I'm looking for a tent that can stand up to high winds. I've only found one that even suggests it was built for windy conditions. It's an REI Base Camp 4. Here is a link to it. Before I pull the trigger on this one I would like to have a handful to choose from. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a four person tent.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
piaras
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5662523 - 02/04/13 09:30 PM

How does the Kendrick Observer tent rate?

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: piaras]
      #5662570 - 02/04/13 10:02 PM

How much wind are you expecting and how large a tent are you looking for?

Stan

Edited by RTLR 12 (02/04/13 10:03 PM)

John Kuraoka
sage

Reged: 12/12/12

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5662607 - 02/04/13 10:20 PM

In my experience, almost any good four-season tent can hold up to what I would consider high winds, if properly positioned, staked, and guyed out. I've never had to rig an internal guy, though, so perhaps I haven't been in high winds.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

#5662611 - 02/04/13 10:21 PM

I'm looking for a four person tent. I don't have an exact figure for the wind MPH. I need it to stand up to the winds in Nebraska at the Nebraska Star Party. Both my tent and my canopy got trashed in the winds last year. I'm not exactly sure just how strong they were but it was very windy. My tent wasn't the only one that got trashed last year. Quite a few of them did. The first year I went was windy too but not as bad as last year. I want a tent that will last me through the star party even if the winds are like last year.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: John Kuraoka]
      #5662612 - 02/04/13 10:22 PM

Check out North Face tents.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

#5662635 - 02/04/13 10:33 PM

I just checked out David Knisely's summary of the NSP and he said he measured the wind at a constant 16 MPH and gusts up to 25 MPH. So I guess I need a tent that can take that.

Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
      #5662641 - 02/04/13 10:37 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Quote:

In a big wind it doesn't. A friend has one and at a star party where the wind came up a snapped pole and torn off tabs where tiedown strings attach happened.

What kind of winds are you anticipating? 4 man is pretty big for considering tolerating wind.

You want something low profile with no places for the wind to catch hold of. Add to that lots of tiedowns and use them all. The tent doesn't have to be expensive it just has to be secured. This 2 man tent from Costco only cost 50 bucks but at this site at 6000' tied down like this has withstood 60 MPH winds.

Bill

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: tomcody]
      #5662644 - 02/04/13 10:37 PM

Use 2 metal tent poles, the height of the tent and placed on opposite sides of the tent in the direction of the wind. Stake the poles to the ground using 2 ropes in a 'v' configuration and tie the top of the tent to the top of the poles. This has worked for me in winds up to 50mph gust. The tent type, design or cost has little to do with success.

Stan

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
      #5662799 - 02/05/13 01:12 AM

My astronomy 'tent' is a 5x8 cargo trailer that I modified for astronomy parties. I bought mine new for $2400. They can be bought used for less. I added insulation, roof vent, window and side door so ramp door could be locked on outside. Holds up very well to strong winds. Gives you room to haul gear and mine has a full size mattress for my wife and I.

Most of the winter mountain tents hold up well to very strong winds. Use the large 10 inch nail stacks when at the star party.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: JMW]
      #5662844 - 02/05/13 02:09 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Many of the desert locations that I camp at have very loamy soil and regular tent stakes just won't hold in the wind. I use some 30" steel spikes that I get from Home Depot's garden center to hold the guide ropes for the poles on my 18' x 24' canopy. I need to remove them with a small slide hammer.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5662878 - 02/05/13 03:29 AM

Quote:

I just checked out David Knisely's summary of the NSP and he said he measured the wind at a constant 16 MPH and gusts up to 25 MPH. So I guess I need a tent that can take that.

Most well-built heavy-duty "Expedition" camping tents should be able to take a 15 to 25 mph wind speed if properly anchored with the deep sand anchors, but not the cheaper "bubble" tents, which tend to go flying or get flattened. However, the thunderstorms at NSP (like the one during one of the evening meals last year) can produce wind speeds in excess of 50 mph. Very few tents can stand up to that level of wind. Also, tents tend to degrade with repeated exposure to sunlight, which can eventually make them vulnerable to ripping under the loads of an intense windstorm. Most of the tent survival rates depend on where you pitch them. If you are going to pitch a tent at NSP, I would suggest watching the weather carefully or pitching it in one of the lower elevation areas in the park. Up on the dunes where a lot of the scopes are, if the wind really gets going, so do the tents! I have yet to see a tent that I consider to be completely "NSP-proof", which is why I stay in a cabin at the resort . Good luck and clear skies to you.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5663063 - 02/05/13 08:36 AM

Typical, all worried about a little wind. What about your scope, the one you just left out in the wind? It was sad, it truely tried, I watched it straining to stay on track; but then, a sudden strong blast, and, and, it's just too horrible to describe, so sad, so sad to see a scope go like that.....

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5663477 - 02/05/13 12:06 PM

Quote:

Check out North Face tents.

North Face tents are built with highest quality materials and workmanship. I've owned several (currently just one).

For a 4 person tent capable of surviving high winds I suggest you limit your search to dome configurations, and limit it further to those that have rainflies extending to just above the ground, with additional guy points halfway up the sides.

A couple of years ago I bought a Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent for my daughter, for car camping. See here; I think it's the 4 person aluminum pole unit. Its design includes two additional wrap-around poles in addition to the basic 6 pole dome design, so the sides are extremely well-braced against lateral pressure. The rainfly, which goes nearly to the ground, is anchored to the tent at more points than typical. The result is a tent built like a rock.

I've used it in two somewhat challenging circumstances. One was two nights of mixed snow/rain and some wind, at about 5500'. I found the tent to be very cozy; the dead air space between tent and fly acts as a thermos bottle. The second was high winds at our Goldendale star party last year. We had quite a windstorm that flattened several tents and damaged a couple of EZ-Up canopies. (See pictures starting at page 6 of this thread). The Cabela's tent was, again, simply a rock. Note that there's nothing special about Cabela's stuff, generally. They sell low-end stuff too. *This* line is, however, truly outstanding quality.

Edit: Incidentally, a "4 person" tent will in fact squeeze in 4 adults for sleeping but it will be very crowded. If you want room for 4 adults plus some personal things you probably need a "6 person" tent.

Edit:
Quote:

I need it to stand up to the winds in Nebraska at the Nebraska Star Party. Both my tent and my canopy got trashed in the winds last year.

If you want to prepare for the worst case scenario, in a severe thunderstorm 60 mph gusts are easily possible.

Edited by Spaced (02/05/13 02:52 PM)

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
      #5663539 - 02/05/13 12:48 PM

In general the best tents against windy conditions are so called geodesic tents. Theye are typically employ three or four poles with multiple intersections.

Not a 4 person tent but a 3 persons tent which we use and survived many bad weather conditions in the high himalayan mountains (5000+ m), is The North Face VE25.

Hope this will help you a little.

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
      #5663563 - 02/05/13 01:05 PM

Quote:

About as good as any I've seen. Year before last, I was on Spruce Knob, WV in hurricane force winds (~60 mph) and torrential rain. The wind bent two poles slightly, but not a drop came in.

This is the best tent I've ever had. I replaced the two poles, but they are still available as spares after being straightened.

Charlie B

Charlie B
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Sterling, Virginia
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: Charlie B]
      #5663569 - 02/05/13 01:08 PM

Note that this is the current tent being solde by Kendrick. The older astro tent was not this strong.

Charlie B

woodchuck

Reged: 10/22/08

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: Charlie B]
      #5663794 - 02/05/13 03:38 PM

Hey Charlie I was at that party with the older model of Kendrick and had no problems either. I find the fly staked close the ground doesn't give the wind much to grab hold of.

Cheers

Ian

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: woodchuck]
      #5663799 - 02/05/13 03:40 PM

....and the answer my friend, is blowing in the wind.......

TL2101
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Concord, CA
Re: Any tents that can stand up to high wind? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5663862 - 02/05/13 04:14 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Eureka tents do fine in strong winds. I pull my vehicle next to help block the wind and cover the tent with shade cloth to block the sun. I also can move my scope inside if it starts to rain like it did at the GSSP in 2011. This is the Eureka 1210 model.

Edited by TL2101 (02/05/13 04:17 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3085

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics