Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
planet earth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: How High a Fence? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5742418 - 03/19/13 08:23 AM

Quote:

Probably easier to just go outside and stand at your viewing spot looking at the lights. Have a friend hold up a 2x4 at the fence location and raise it till it appears to block the lights.

-Dan

Actually that's probably the easiset way.
Then there are online trig calculators for height of tree etc. for when one is rusty on trig!
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-trigright.asp
http://www.forestryforum.com/members/donp/3treehgtclcs.htm

Sam

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: How High a Fence? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5742710 - 03/19/13 11:28 AM

Quote:

This from Wikipedia on rattlesnakes:

"Rattlesnakes tend to avoid wide open spaces where they cannot hide from predators and will generally avoid humans if they are aware of their approach.[64] Rattlesnakes rarely bite unless they feel threatened or provoked."

The lot you buy may have rattlesnakes, but once it's cleared for your home and kept open by normal mowing, you should have no problems. The snake is interested in rodents and other small prey, and is interested in having lots of weeds and brush to hide in. The last thing it wants is a confrontation with a large "predator" like yourself in an open area.

-Dan

Not always! My area is mowed down for quite a distance all around; yet, many years ago, a 4' rattler was comfy on my back doorstep!

Also, in August, they shed their skins, and are "blind", as the skin covers their head, and will strike without warning.

It pays to be vigilant at all times, in rattler country.

Darenwh
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/06

Loc: Covington, GA
Re: How High a Fence? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5742749 - 03/19/13 11:45 AM

If you build a fence for this purpose just make it the normal 6' privacy fence. If it's not tall enough (which it likely won't be) then just put a couple galvanized fence rings on the surface and use two pieces of PVC tall enough to go to the ground and up as high as you need to block with a black fabric light blocking material between them from 5.5' up to the top. Place one pole in a set of rings, unroll the lightblock material and place the other pole in a set of rings. You have a temporary light block that won't detract from property values or bother neighbors/hoa's. Simple and effective solution to the problem of light tresspass from the highschool. If you are too close you may need to make a couple blocking sections to cover the distance without too much sagging between supports. This will be cheaper than building a taller fence and just as, or more, effective.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: How High a Fence? new [Re: Darenwh]
      #5742789 - 03/19/13 12:05 PM

I've build light shields, I've used light shields. I rarely use them in the backyard anymore since I have a relative dark suburban backyard. Having said that the benefit for a light shield is to increase the contrast I saw from nearby lights. What they don't do is to improve the sky brightness that exists in the sky above. The brightness above will trend to go down after about 12:00a.m. to 1:00a.m. so that can help, but to get the best of conditions for visual observing, get thee to a dark site or buy in a dark site. I wish you the best of luck on balancing your needs and finding a site that is best for you. If you have a family that can further complicate the matter. I found a home I loved, wanted that was in the country yet close enough to get the kids to school and my wife and I to work. My wife wanted to be on the outer rim of suburbia and we know who won that one, it was a compromise. We have a nice home, in a decent location for suburban observing but I will head out to a dark site whenever I want to really observe, be it public land or my own land.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1164

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics