Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
JeffreyHorne

Reged: 04/22/13

Best case to organize your accessories...
      #5823460 - 04/26/13 12:59 AM

I'm looking for a case to organize my eyepieces (15 or so), my camera adapters, A/C adapter, diagonals, visual backs, filters, etc.

Any suggestions? What are you using? Post some photos?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: JeffreyHorne]
      #5823538 - 04/26/13 03:01 AM

Have a look here pics of your cases for starters and there are many more examples if you search "case" in the eyepieces or equipment forums

Eric

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5824453 - 04/26/13 01:37 PM

I would recommend a Wood Wonders case. http://www.wood-wonders.com/Eyepiece.htm Ron will work with you to build what you want and the case works great! I ordered a case to house all the Ethos line of EPs in the middle and had him put in a 1 1/4 inch plate under one of the drawers for all my 1 1/4 EPs. The red light is a set of LEDs across the top that works very well. Give him a call or email him! Great work and great customer service!

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
      #5824531 - 04/26/13 02:20 PM

Quote:

I'm looking for a case to organize my eyepieces (15 or so), my camera adapters, A/C adapter, diagonals, visual backs, filters, etc.

Which eyepieces? 1.25 or 2 inchers or mixed?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: BDS316]
      #5824565 - 04/26/13 02:39 PM

Well, there's always buying a scope for each of the eyepieces to house them........

I like the Pelican Storm cases. The Woodwonders are beautiful cases and well made....but if you're older, or not in good health, wood gets heavy pretty quickly.

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5824689 - 04/26/13 03:30 PM

Perhaps something from here?
http://www.mycasebuilder.com/

Steve Daniel

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Austin, TX
      #5824692 - 04/26/13 03:31 PM

Pelican cases or knockoffs. Sometimes to be had very reasonably on craigslist and ebay. With the foambymail.com pick-n-pluck insert, you can customize and get a lot of goods inside a Pelican 1600, which is what I use.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
      #5824700 - 04/26/13 03:37 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

I just have too much stuff for small cases. I use Pelican #1600 cases for most of my stuff. I have them organized for public outreach use. Here is one set up for use with 3 scope/mount combinations. I set up 5 or 6 scopes at a time and it takes 2 cases to outfit them.

Stan

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5824707 - 04/26/13 03:38 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Here's another...

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #5824741 - 04/26/13 03:53 PM

Try one of Orion's pluck accessory cases:

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-Pluck-Foam-Accessory-Case-Black/dp/B0000XMTME/ref...

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #5824894 - 04/26/13 05:00 PM

I learned long ago that when buying an eyepiece/accessory case, get at least 50 percent larger than you need for your current gear, because there will ALWAYS be more . . .

Rocketlawnchair

Reged: 06/17/11

Loc: Toronto, ON
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5825003 - 04/26/13 06:16 PM

Quote:

I learned long ago that when buying an eyepiece/accessory case, get at least 50 percent larger than you need for your current gear, because there will ALWAYS be more . . .

Good advice Mike. You can outgrow a case pretty quickly, especially when just starting out and building your collection of eyepieces and accessories.

Of course, some of us never grow out of that phase...

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: Rocketlawnchair]
      #5825042 - 04/26/13 06:32 PM

ok, best caseS to organize your accessories.

woodworkt
sage

Reged: 06/07/06

Loc: Northern Virginia
      #5825524 - 04/26/13 11:56 PM

I recommend splitting into two; one for eyepieces/items that need protection, and one (more of a soft-side/leather toolbag concept) for things like AC adapters, cables, allen wrenches, etc. That way you can maximize the use you can get out of whatever foam padded hard case you end up with for your delicate items, without carrying around bulk or weight you don't need.

Clear skies,
--Ken T.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: woodworkt]
      #5826308 - 04/27/13 01:17 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

I got fed up with lugging multiple cases around so optimise dmy gear down to what I REALLY need and then built a single case that would hold everything. Eyepieces, finder, cables, controllers - the whole schtick - even a collimator and some tools.

Whole thing was made out of a junk photographic case and some basswood - course it took a lot of time (as some will recall from seeing the thread on here) but its worked a treat. A single case with everything in it apart from the battery box. Makes packing up a doddle and its a comfort knowing that if it aint in the case I dont own it so nmothing gets forgotten/left behind.

Edited by astro_baby (04/27/13 01:17 PM)

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5826409 - 04/27/13 02:03 PM

I'm still waiting to see the "Astro Baby" line of cases at my local astro store. They will come in various sizes, colors and configurations.

Stan

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #5826419 - 04/27/13 02:10 PM

Best case scenario?

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5826513 - 04/27/13 03:10 PM

They are already available Stan to anyone who sticks some cash in an envelope and sends it my way - about $500 would be right but you;d have to wait at least 6 months - like I had to

gonzosc1
sage

Reged: 11/08/12

Loc: South Carolina
      #5826554 - 04/27/13 03:29 PM

I just had a semi home made case idea. will start working on it and report back here when its done!

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: gonzosc1]
      #5826985 - 04/27/13 06:55 PM

Do share, its great to see other ideas.

Actually id you do a search on Google for images on the keywrds 'eyepiece case' there are some fab pictures and some brilliant designs out there.

I love this one...its so neat....
http://texasstarparty.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2011_venables_case2.jpg

Edited by astro_baby (04/27/13 06:57 PM)

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
      #5828030 - 04/28/13 10:26 AM

Quote:

Well, there's always buying a scope for each of the eyepieces to house them........

I like the Pelican Storm cases. The Woodwonders are beautiful cases and well made....but if you're older, or not in good health, wood gets heavy pretty quickly.

I'd second the reasoning stated above. If you want a case that looks real purty on a shelf in your living room, get the Wood Wonders. If OTOH you want a case that's built to protect your stuff from a potential lickin' from being jostled around or even dropped or dampened in transit *and* is easy to hand-carry, get a Storm/Pelican type case. If (on the third hand) you want a cheap case that will offer fairly good, but not completely idiot-proof or accident-proof protection, get one of those inexpensive aluminum cases often sold at e.g. Lowe's or Harbor Freight.

As a general rule, if you have less expensive EPs, accessories, etc, you could prudently opt for the third alternative if you wish (less expensive aluminum case). BUT: if you have more premium EPs and accessories...well, Ben Franklin's advice about "penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind (get the Storm/Pelican type case).

As far as internal protection/organization, there's basically three alternatives:
1) pluck foam (you hand-carve out custom slots that snugly fit each of your items;
2) padded dividers (makes for neater organization, but doesn't give quite as snug a fit and allows more possibilities for stuff to jostle around inside);
3) slots cut in wood (e.g. round for eyepieces, dividers for other stuff)...looks real neat, but this is best suited for the type of case you plan to never accidentally drop or spill (which you never plan to do, **it just happens sooner or later if you catch my drift).

Myself, I've got:
1) Storm 2400 case (Naglers, filters, Parcorr, Powermates(barlows), EP cleaning kit, red light.
2) Lowe large camera lens/optics case (my set of 8 Ethos lives here), red light. This is quite a rugged, water-resistant case with padded dividers, made to safely carry sets of professional high-end camera lenses even more expensive than Ethos.

Edited by FirstSight (04/28/13 10:32 AM)

DonsDob

Reged: 05/21/12

Loc: CT
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5829181 - 04/28/13 09:41 PM

I use a $25 dollar aluminum case from Harbor Freight which comes with pluck foam. padded dividers, and a tool holder to hold: basic tools (allen wenches, screwdrivers, red light, laser pointer, etc); finder scope, telrad, intelliscope COL, 2 eyepieces that don't fit in the smaller eyepiece case, and assorted odds and ends. I've learned thru experience to mark the top with a piece of black tape.

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: DonsDob]
      #5829207 - 04/28/13 09:54 PM

Apart from Pelican cases and other similar types, are cases from Wooden wonder, etc good enough to store the eyepieces long term without being affected by the dreaded fungus?

That said, I dun own an EP case since my collection quickly outgrown the small Meade case I had. Most of the time I just lump them into a compact lot in the corner of my long Pelican together with my scope.

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #5830150 - 04/29/13 01:06 PM

Quote:

I like different cases for some of my stuff. To segregate things a bit, into smaller packages.
I choose second hand store, garage sales, and such for where to look.
Lots of very inexpensive options are available, for pretty painlessly up grading too.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5831504 - 04/30/13 02:23 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Here is what I use (a modified fishing tackle box with drawers and lift-out top):

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5831506 - 04/30/13 02:25 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Here it is with everything out of it:

JeffreyHorne

Reged: 04/22/13

#5851220 - 05/10/13 12:58 AM

Stan,

The Pelican 1600 looks really nice...about what I think I need. Is the foam "pluckable"? The Pelican site just gives me too many options to decipher.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5851481 - 05/10/13 07:45 AM

Jeffrey,

Yes, it comes with pluck foam. Order the case that just says "..with foam". The best price I have found on Pelican cases is at B&H Photo. They also ship for free.

Stan

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=pelican+1600&N=0&InitialSear...

mdine1us
sage

Reged: 03/14/06

Loc: San Diego
      #5851648 - 05/10/13 09:44 AM

I have both Pelican and Storm cases. While they are both amazing quality products, I prefer the Storm case(just by a little) because the latching system is a little easier to deal with. (Pelican now owns Storm but they still have distinct product lines)
My favorite source for getting them is 4lessdepot.com. I really like B&H but the 4Lessdepot is in San Diego where I live, so I just pop over and pick it up.

The equivalent Storm case to the Pelican 1600 is the Storm IM2700. Roughly the same price...check it out here...

http://www.nalpak.com/Pelican-Storm-iM2700

Edited by mdine1us (05/10/13 09:47 AM)

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: mdine1us]
      #5851736 - 05/10/13 10:38 AM

Yea, for a second you threw me there, I was thinking, hey, My Storm case IS a Pelican brand....

ANOTHER OPTION: I bought my case from Acme Cases, they sell the Pelicans, and others, and even make some. One of the services they do is, instead of pluck foam, you can (for extra cost obviously) bring in your eyepieces and they will use a plastic foam type material (a little more sturdy then pluckfoam, but not as hard as styrofoam) that "molds" around the eyepieces (No, they don't just plop your eyepiece into goo, it's protected by a plastic sheeting). This results in perfect custom fit, no cutting, nothing to flake off, and it holds the eyepiece in place with no jostling. And actually, they're not really expensive. I got a Pelican Storm 2200 with pluckfoam for less than $80.

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
      #5852470 - 05/10/13 06:27 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

A nice thing about the Pelican 1600 is It's deep enough to stand some things on end which accommodates more gear.
I fit everything I need for my two main viewing scopes.

Top Row ~ WO 2" DuraBright Diagonal, AP 2" MaxBtight Diagonal, EarthWin PFS-DBSE Diagonal, Various Filters (for EarthWin), OCS (for EarthWin), 12.5mm Reticle.

Second Row ~ Telrad for NS11GPS, TV BinoVue, 2" nosepiece for TV Bino's, 2X Amplifier (OCS) for TV Bino's.

Third Row ~ Telrad for APM 130mm, *BLEEP*'t. accessories, Dew straps + laser pointer.

Fourth Row ~ HC + 25ft cord for NS11GPS, HC holder + head light, 3 X bolts for NS11GPS, Dew controller.

Mike

linux

Reged: 01/04/13

Loc: Evans, Ga.
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5854577 - 05/11/13 11:15 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

A lot of good suggestions here. My first case was/is the so-called cheap Harbor Freight aluminum case with the plucked/dice foam. I don't know why anybody would say it's not for expensive eyepieces because it's sturdy and has "plenty" of foam on all 6 sides of my Ethos and ES eyepieces. And for $29.95 you can't beat it. In fact it's cheaper than just buying replacement foam from Orion.

However after seeing some of the pics here, I think my next case will be the Pelican 1600 because of it's depth. It certainly looks rugged and has lots of foam as well. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with my EP's jostling around at all! In any event, I just ordered another Ethos so my stable is growing (and my wallet shrinking) and I'm about due for a 2nd case.

Here's a pic of the case...

Edited by linux (05/11/13 11:19 PM)

linux

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: linux]
      #5854597 - 05/11/13 11:22 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Here it is with the top foam on it. I priced replacement diced foam and it's hard to find cheaply, so if I wanted to re-layout the case I'd probably just buy solid foam at a craft store and carve out the holes with a knife or scissors.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
      #5854658 - 05/12/13 12:01 AM

I really like this case I got off Amazon Prime.
Fits a mix of 5-6 1.25" and 2" eyepieces, as well as a couple adapters and cables/AC adapter/Nexstar controller.
Fantastic price at $35 with free shipping. Well built in my opinion. Not as good as a Pelican, but very good for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HJTK5Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF...

linux

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: Taylor]
      #5854731 - 05/12/13 01:47 AM

That looks to be identical to the one I got at Harbor Freight; pretty much the same dimensions; probably made in the same factory...

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-x-12-34-x-6-aluminum-case-69318.html

Very sturdy and lots of foam. I did go ahead and order the Pelican 1600 after seeing it above, mostly due to the larger size and especially the depth. If I can stack my larger eyepieces vertically (with foam below and above as well), that will save a lot of space, although I can see it getting somewhat heavy with, say 6 Ethos eyepieces in there.

Edited by linux (05/12/13 01:51 AM)

Ian Robinson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/09

Loc: 33S , 151E
      #5856518 - 05/12/13 10:54 PM

Being of very stingie scot decent, I opted for a very cheap but effective approach.

I bought a few secondhand celestron eyepiece/accessory kit cases (less the accessories and eyepieces) on Ebay , turfed the less than protective low density foam inside and replaced this foam with high density high quality pluck n pull foam and hey presto, nice cases
- astro photo gear case (autoguide, OAG, MCC, Lumicon CC/FF, and 50mm guidescope and some 2" filters
- eyepiece case
- barlow, tuneable top 2" coma corrector and visual stuff case
- astrophoto lenses case (58mm f1.4, 135mm f2.0, 200mm f3.5, 25mm f2.5 and adapters and filters)

May not be water tight, or air tight, but tough and protective from bumps, crushing, drops so they do the job.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5856547 - 05/12/13 11:12 PM

Quote:

Here it is with the top foam on it. I priced replacement diced foam and it's hard to find cheaply, so if I wanted to re-layout the case I'd probably just buy solid foam at a craft store and carve out the holes with a knife or scissors.

I use solid foam because pluck foam is not as durable. I buy it at a place that specializes in building shipping containers for expensive items.. the last time the guy just gave me a rem that was about 3' x 4" and 2 inches thick...

I have seen the Harbor freight aluminum cases. I am not sure how they would be in 10 years. There are aluminum cases available that are designed for transporting expensive stuff...

Jon

linux

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: Ian Robinson]
      #5858684 - 05/13/13 09:51 PM

Quote:

Being of very stingie scot decent, I opted for a very cheap but effective approach.

I bought a few secondhand celestron eyepiece/accessory kit cases (less the accessories and eyepieces) on Ebay , turfed the less than protective low density foam inside and replaced this foam with high density high quality pluck n pull foam and hey presto, nice cases
- astro photo gear case (autoguide, OAG, MCC, Lumicon CC/FF, and 50mm guidescope and some 2" filters
- eyepiece case
- barlow, tuneable top 2" coma corrector and visual stuff case
- astrophoto lenses case (58mm f1.4, 135mm f2.0, 200mm f3.5, 25mm f2.5 and adapters and filters)

May not be water tight, or air tight, but tough and protective from bumps, crushing, drops so they do the job.

Ian, where did you get the Pluck & pull foam? The only place I could find it was from Orion and it was over $40 for a sheet...

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5859096 - 05/14/13 02:33 AM

I was at Harbor Freight recently thinking of picking up a case for my accessories. I noted that the pluck foam is a lot less firmer than the one I bought last year for my eyepieces. Noticeably softer and comes apart easier--not good, if you want to house heavy eyepieces in it.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: mdine1us]
      #5859114 - 05/14/13 03:04 AM

Quote:

I have both Pelican and Storm cases. While they are both amazing quality products, I prefer the Storm case(just by a little) because the latching system is a little easier to deal with. (Pelican now owns Storm but they still have distinct product lines)
My favorite source for getting them is 4lessdepot.com. I really like B&H but the 4Lessdepot is in San Diego where I live, so I just pop over and pick it up.

The equivalent Storm case to the Pelican 1600 is the Storm IM2700. Roughly the same price...check it out here...

http://www.nalpak.com/Pelican-Storm-iM2700

A weight of 16 lbs with just the foam! Wow! Imagine how heavy it will be after loading it up with eyepieces.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: Starman81]
      #5859130 - 05/14/13 03:39 AM

My Pelican #1600 case doesn't quite weigh 16 lbs, but I transport about $6000 worth of equipment in it. I wouldn't want to trust a $20, 7 lb. Chinese aluminum case. My equipment is more important to me than that.

Stan

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5859381 - 05/14/13 08:53 AM

Ditto Stan.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Best case to organize your accessories... new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5859401 - 05/14/13 09:07 AM

Yup, my Pentax's and T1s call it home......My ES live in bolt case apartments......

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2144

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics