Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
Re: Which equipment is "king"? new [Re: nytecam]
      #6139080 - 10/15/13 01:35 PM

My wife recently got a new job, which entailed moving. The move took us to an area with relatively dark skies compared to what we used to have. We bought a small acerage just out of town, and now live under a bortle 3 sky. It's not as black as some, but, better than most, and as good as we have seen a numerous 'dark sky' astronomy events that were many hours of driving away.

Our view of astronomy has suddenly changed. It used to be we considered it a hobby that included camping etc etc. Now we are planning the roll-off in the back yard, and, no longer have plans to make long drives to attend events for astronomy, altho we may occaisionally head out to an event for the social aspect. the 'big gun' telescopes will stay in the observatory if we go, and we'll just take the little stuff because it's easy to carry and set up.

This is our back yard now, taken on Oct 8 of this year.

http://youtu.be/X6NAcNfrs1U

Location is king, and now that we have a permanent location with a dark sky, our whole view of the hobby has changed.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Which equipment is "king"? new [Re: groz]
      #6140888 - 10/16/13 01:07 PM

Nice whole-sky video!

I assume those bright flashes illuminating the trees that get less frequent during the later hours are passing car headlights on a nearby road?

I'd say those skies make staying home quite sensible. The observatory will shield you from any local light, including the occasional passing vehicle.

Permanent relocation to darker skies, though, isn't feasible for most observers, and imagine all of the fuel you used to accomplish the move?

- Jim

Bruce FitzGerald
sage

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Arizona
Re: Which equipment is "king"? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6146384 - 10/19/13 10:41 AM

Fuel is king?
Nope! Retire and move to a dark sky site in the middle of a mountainous desert. No light pollution, no camping, no travel, no problem!

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
Re: Which equipment is "king"? new [Re: Bruce FitzGerald]
      #6146727 - 10/19/13 01:42 PM

Quote:

Fuel is king?
Nope! Retire and move to a dark sky site in the middle of a mountainous desert. No light pollution, no camping, no travel, no problem!

That's what I'm talkin about .

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6146760 - 10/19/13 02:02 PM

Quote:

Fuel is king?

and no wife...

Pete-LH
sage

Reged: 03/25/09

Loc: Wilmington, DE
Re: Which equipment is "king"? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6146845 - 10/19/13 02:54 PM

In review of all the equipment I have accumulated I would say the most useful has been my observing chair.

That being said I do like doing most of my observing from my back patio even with the neighbors lights of paranoia and living 30 minutes south of Philadelphia. I can still set up strategically and achieve my moments of Zen quite nicely there and have that beverage of choice while watching. Having the facilities nearby as well is a big plus.

I will drive once in a while when I have time but it's more to check out the friends toys and socialize.

Edited by Pete-LH (10/21/13 05:05 PM)

carlcat
sage

Reged: 11/26/07

Loc: Northern California
Re: Which equipment is "king"? new [Re: Pete-LH]
      #6148537 - 10/20/13 02:50 PM

For me, it's a toss up between dual axis drives and a good astronomy chair. I can't imagine how others do without them. I love looking at the moon, sitting in my chair in back of a refractor, tooling around under high power, gliding over the surface of the moon like I'm in some kind of lunar module......all while in the confines of my back yard. There's so much to see on the moon and I'm so comfortable in my chair that I almost go into a trance observing. It really takes me to another place on so many levels......it's invigorating and relaxing at the same time.
And thanks, Jim B. for all the individual advice you've given me over the years......much appreciated.

Bruce FitzGerald
sage

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Arizona
Re: Which equipment is "king"? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6149865 - 10/21/13 01:05 PM

What do you mean, no wife? I fired mine ten years ago....but my girlfriend likes the mountains and beautiful downtown Tucson is 40 minutes away (if you drive like she does)!

bhpnbr

Reged: 04/11/12

Loc: DFW, Texas
      #6149893 - 10/21/13 01:28 PM

IMHO, a good SAFE observing site is King! It could be your own fenced backyard or a dark sky site a hundred miles away, or the neighbourhood park or parking lot because you live in an apartment.
Considering the essentially nocturnal nature of this hobby, and the unfortunate coincidence with times of heightened criminal activity, having peace of mind that you are safe with your expensive equipment is King.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: Which equipment is "king"? new [Re: groz]
      #6152342 - 10/22/13 07:45 PM

Quote:

My wife recently got a new job, which entailed moving. The move took us to an area with relatively dark skies compared to what we used to have. We bought a small acerage just out of town, and now live under a bortle 3 sky. It's not as black as some, but, better than most, and as good as we have seen a numerous 'dark sky' astronomy events that were many hours of driving away.

Our view of astronomy has suddenly changed. It used to be we considered it a hobby that included camping etc etc. Now we are planning the roll-off in the back yard, and, no longer have plans to make long drives to attend events for astronomy, altho we may occaisionally head out to an event for the social aspect. the 'big gun' telescopes will stay in the observatory if we go, and we'll just take the little stuff because it's easy to carry and set up.

This is our back yard now, taken on Oct 8 of this year.

http://youtu.be/X6NAcNfrs1U

Location is king, and now that we have a permanent location with a dark sky, our whole view of the hobby has changed.

Wow!

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Which equipment is "king"? new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6154256 - 10/23/13 07:11 PM

I think we have a winner!

JimC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2691

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics