Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #6138286 - 10/15/13 03:01 AM

Canadians live in a country with representative government. Canada also has signed many international trade treaties with other nations. IMHO, Canadian citizens should contact their elected representatives to reduce or eliminate customs duties or sales taxes they believe to be unjust or inappropriate. But please don't ask sellers from other countries to lie.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Cotts]
      #6138454 - 10/15/13 07:43 AM

Well, I tried again. I am really puzzled. I replied to an ad on Astromart in the way I always have, using the "Respond to this ad" hyperlink. (Is there any other way?"

Again, no response. The text of my message being along the lines "I am interested in your blah-blah. Will you ship to Canada, at my expense of course?"

This has happened so many times now, consecutively, that I find myself wondering if something is wrong with my account. It just doesn't sound right. I have actually lost track of how many times I have responded to an ad in the past couple of weeks. My best guess is maybe five times, with no response from five different sellers.

I've bought several times on Amart in the past, although usually I guess I was in FL when I did so.

So, I dug through the ads and found a listing from several months back from a Canadian. He had an interesting item listed that was not marked as having been sold. So, "Respond to this ad" and I had a reply and completed the sale within a couple of hours.

I am perplexed.

Incidentally, I recap, none of the ads to which I received no reply were marked "CONUS only." Several might have notations along the lines of "Seller pays shipping within the CONUS," but that's not the same thing, is it? I always state that I will pay shipping costs.

This all seems very strange . . . American sellers have apparently put me on some sort of secret "black list?"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
junomike
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6139520 - 10/15/13 05:47 PM

Sending a PM with a link to one of my AM ads.
Reply to It and PM me back.
This way we will know your account is not the problem.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
junomike
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: junomike]
      #6139772 - 10/15/13 08:36 PM

PM returned.

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
piaras
professor emeritus


Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Shneor]
      #6139787 - 10/15/13 08:46 PM

Quote:

Canadians live in a country with representative government. Canada also has signed many international trade treaties with other nations. IMHO, Canadian citizens should contact their elected representatives to reduce or eliminate customs duties or sales taxes they believe to be unjust or inappropriate.




Representative! Ha. This does not work in Canada either.

NAFTA was to reduce the duty tariff on many items but not everything. Federal Sales Tax was never part of this. Remember the FST used to be 13.5% prior to the GST, known as a VAT in most of the world. Now it is only 5% plus Provincial Sales Taxes if applicable, from 0 to 10%.

Pierre

Edited by tecmage (10/16/13 07:53 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dan_h
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 12/10/07

Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6140053 - 10/15/13 11:34 PM

Quote:

Well, I tried again. I am really puzzled. I replied to an ad on Astromart in the way I always have, using the "Respond to this ad" hyperlink. (Is there any other way?"

Again, no response. The text of my message being along the lines "I am interested in your blah-blah. Will you ship to Canada, at my expense of course?"

This has happened so many times now, consecutively, that I find myself wondering if something is wrong with my account. It just doesn't sound right. I have actually lost track of how many times I have responded to an ad in the past couple of weeks. My best guess is maybe five times, with no response from five different sellers.

I've bought several times on Amart in the past, although usually I guess I was in FL when I did so.

So, I dug through the ads and found a listing from several months back from a Canadian. He had an interesting item listed that was not marked as having been sold. So, "Respond to this ad" and I had a reply and completed the sale within a couple of hours.

I am perplexed.

Incidentally, I recap, none of the ads to which I received no reply were marked "CONUS only." Several might have notations along the lines of "Seller pays shipping within the CONUS," but that's not the same thing, is it? I always state that I will pay shipping costs.

This all seems very strange . . . American sellers have apparently put me on some sort of secret "black list?"




All of this is really very typical of what you can expect.
I get the same thing. When I reply with a US address for shipping, deals start to happen. Cross the border, I don't even get a response. Of course, if you are looking for a $5000 item with a motivated seller, things can be a little different.

Don't take it so personal. You and I just aren't that important. Deal with it.

dan


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Martin Lyons
sage
*****

Reged: 10/06/08

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: dan_h]
      #6140300 - 10/16/13 05:06 AM

I have bought numerous items from folks selling stuff here on CN.

The largest item was the Meade 16"LX200GPS
It was originally marked as CONUS and pick up only.
Due to my charm (read begging and pleading and I was the first responder)the seller finally agreed to ship to me here in Cape Town, South Africa.
I paid for crating and airfreight (only realised too late that it wasn't insured, so didn't sleep well for 2 weeks) and it got here intact and relatively quickly.

I find that the minute sellers hear I'm from Africa, they become very suspicious that I may be a scammer (who can blame them if you look at how the 419 scams originating from Nigeria has conned many out of millions)

With a bit of friendly begging, pleading and bowing and scraping, sellers who were reluctant eventually come round to shipping outside of the US.
It also helps if they don't get any response to their ad...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kyle
member
*****

Reged: 08/21/05

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Martin Lyons]
      #6140310 - 10/16/13 05:43 AM

On that note, why conus? I really don't know why people are afraid to include alaska or hawaii. I've sold and shipped items to both via usps and cost was about the same as shipping in the mainland. No extra paperwork either.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Kyle]
      #6140350 - 10/16/13 07:08 AM

Quote:

On that note, why conus? I really don't know why people are afraid to include alaska or hawaii. I've sold and shipped items to both via usps and cost was about the same as shipping in the mainland. No extra paperwork either.




I just priced shipping 40" x 14" x 14" box weighing 40 lbs to Fairbanks and to Boston via FedEx, $170 versus $60.. Fairbanks via USPS, $130...

Jon


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wormstar
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Central Ct
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6140406 - 10/16/13 08:22 AM

I have shipped things all over the world, including a $5000 scope to Australia, and 300# of GEM mount and weights to Norway. Most times everything was easy, but one time I had to jump thru hoops with the paperwork with Fedex( because the declared value was high) , and the item sat in customs for a while on the other end.
I don't mind shipping to Canada as long as the buyer covers the extra shipping.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomcody
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: piaras]
      #6140536 - 10/16/13 09:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Canadians live in a country with representative government. Canada also has signed many international trade treaties with other nations. IMHO, Canadian citizens should contact their elected representatives to reduce or eliminate customs duties or sales taxes they believe to be unjust or inappropriate.




Representative! Ha. This does not work in Canada either.

NAFTA was to reduce the duty tariff on many items but not everything. Federal Sales Tax was never part of this. Remember the FST used to be 13.5% prior to the GST, known as a VAT in most of the world. Now it is only 5% plus Provincial Sales Taxes if applicable, from 0 to 10%.
Taxes are here to stay.
Pierre



Just to note some of the paperwork needed to ship to Canada see:

web page
for the over $1600 CAD shipment requirement.
And
web page
For the actual form Please note Field #6 and see if you can fill it out correctly?

(Field #6 is why I will not ship to Canada)
Rex


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 12/09/06

Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: tomcody]
      #6140953 - 10/16/13 01:39 PM

Quote:


Just to note some of the paperwork needed to ship to Canada see:

web page
for the over $1600 CAD shipment requirement.
And
web page
For the actual form Please note Field #6 and see if you can fill it out correctly?

(Field #6 is why I will not ship to Canada)
Rex




9005.80.10 - - - Optical telescopes
9005.90.11 - - - Optical telescope parts and accessories (including mountings)

google HS tariff classification - about 20 seconds and I had the above. This has also been discussed on CN in the past and a multiple of places on the internet over the past 10 or so years.

Couldn't be simpler. Took me longer to write this than to find it. Not saying that there isn't some extra paperwork but this goes both ways depending on the value of the item, and I WILL pay extra for the trouble depending on the cost of the object. For those who are trying to nickle and dime you, ignore them.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: tomcody]
      #6140968 - 10/16/13 01:49 PM

Oh, jeez, Tom! Don't show people that!

Now NO ONE will ship up here!

For items of a few hundred bucks or so, shipping by USPS is really pretty undemanding!

FedEx and UPS are really to be avoided when shipping cross border. For smallish items, there is just no need to use them.

Insurance: Pretty much a scam IMO. I shipped an 800mm Nikkor
f/5.6 lens from Nova Scotia to El Paso via UPS. They wouldn't insure it against anything other than "loss."
Breakage? Forget it! Didn't matter who packed it either . . . them or me.

It arrived safe and sound. But it was nerve-wracking.

It is a continuing frustration. Ship from CA to northernmost ME? No problem! Free too! Ship from northernmost ME to New Brunswick? Big problem!
Either won't do it at all, or mega $$$$$$$ more in extra fees and charges!

Oh, well. Fortunately there are US merchants who still provide excellent service to Canadians. Astronomics, OPT and Agena come immediately to mind.

I'd say Astromart was "dead to me" now after these recent, multiple bad experiences, but, @#*&^%$, even Canadian stuff doesn't get listed on the Canadian board! As Jay Leno would say, "What's up with THAT???"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bunyon
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6141001 - 10/16/13 02:07 PM

I agree it is frustrating to get no responses from inquiries (it happens to people in the same country - I get no responsed about one time in four) but how is it enough to turn you off? If you get no response, any response pretty clearly would have been "no."

How is no response different? Some people won't want to deal with an international shipment. That seems completely in their court. In an ideal world, yes, they would write to tell you that. But you wouldn't be in any different position if they did so.

I say with respect, best to just let it go. No need to get worked up by the rudeness of strangers on the internet.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
junomike
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6141044 - 10/16/13 02:34 PM

Quote:

even Canadian stuff doesn't get listed on the Canadian board! As Jay Leno would say, "What's up with THAT???




Terry, It's the same reason we have to go to the US market to get rare or expensive Items........Population and Demand!

I once listed a TMB SMC at a reasonable price on the CDN classifieds. It sat there for 4 days with not one response. I listed It on AM and It sold within an hour.

Also, The cost of shipping out East in Canada is ridiculous. I know you're willing to cover that, but many aren't and want the seller to eat the cost.

For that reason, I post "Including shipping to MOST US and CDN locations" at the bottom of my ads.

Mike

(No worries though, I'd ship to you!)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: junomike]
      #6141195 - 10/16/13 03:48 PM

Quote:

I once listed a TMB SMC at a reasonable price on the CDN classifieds. It sat there for 4 days with not one response. I listed It on AM and It sold within an hour.

Also, The cost of shipping out East in Canada is ridiculous. I know you're willing to cover that, but many aren't and want the seller to eat the cost.




I hear ya, Mike!
In the past month or so though, I have landed a 4.5 and a 6mm Delos, as well as a 35mm Pan on the CDN board.
Quote:

(No worries though, I'd ship to you!)



Thanks, Mike!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Geo.
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: tomcody]
      #6141373 - 10/16/13 05:45 PM

Quote:

For the actual form Please note Field #6 and see if you can fill it out correctly?





Easy: 900590 for astro equipment and 900580 for optics.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Geo.]
      #6141451 - 10/16/13 06:13 PM

I pretty much exclude the Canadian market when selling and buying... No Paypal and just lazy, lazy.

Jon


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
junomike
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6141555 - 10/16/13 06:53 PM

No Paypal!
Jon, Do you at least have electricity?

Mike


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TG
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Cotts]
      #6141763 - 10/16/13 08:45 PM

Quote:

Paul, as for shipping to my American Friend in Buffalo, he is the proprietor of an internationally-known Astronomical Accessories firm and is far better known in the community than I am. Shipping to him wouldn't look so skeezy, I suspect. As well, no one ships till my payment clears so how could the American seller go wrong?

Dave




If I, the seller, don't know you, how can I be sure that you aren't paying with a stolen/forged check or credit card when you're asking me to ship to a different address? For stolen credit cards, there is protection for the buyer but I don't think any for the seller. For the bad check, you are simply out of luck if you ship before it clears.

Tanveer.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)


Extra information
8 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 4168

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics