Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: << 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | (show all)
cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/22/10

Loc: Sachse TX
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Tom Andrews]
      #5253428 - 06/03/12 01:48 PM

You get the win base on variety of application. I am doing the same thing over and over as I build more dobsonians. You are dreaming up ways to make it work on different mounts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom Andrews
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/25/07

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5254077 - 06/03/12 11:19 PM

Brad,

Thank you for your generosity. I hope you know that all this is tongue-in-cheek, I'm not competetive in that way at all. I love DIY stuff especially when it works and I equally love sharing anything that works with others free of charge.

I salute you for building dobs

That is something I have only toyed with in upgrading my Coulter but never built from the ground up. So it's you that has the win base on DIY; keep up the good work!

cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

#5254334 - 06/04/12 08:15 AM

Hard to drum up a feud between the non-competitive.

Epsilon_Lyrae

Reged: 07/27/11

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: SDTopensied]
      #5262456 - 06/08/12 08:18 PM

Thanks to the info in this thread, I decided to buy a $30 digital level from Sears. I might decide to put a setting circle on the base of my Z10 someday, but I figured that I could just start with the altitude coordinates for now.

I tried to use it last night, but, for every object that I looked at, the level was 1 to 1.5 degrees off from the coordinates in Sky Safari. I figured out this morning that my iPad's time was 7 minutes off! I hope to see better results tonight.

The screen on this level is a very bright green. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should cover it with?

cheapersleeper
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Epsilon_Lyrae]
      #5262960 - 06/09/12 07:10 AM

Rubylith would probably be easiest to find.

I encourage you to get the time straight, make sure your coordinates are as perfect as possible, level the scope reasonably well and implement the other half of the system. You will be amazed and gratified at how easily you can find objects. It's 15 minutes at an office store that can do large printing and laminating and a half hour of effort at home to put the circle on. It's very much worth it.

Regards,
Brad

Wol

Reged: 03/26/07

Loc: Perth Western Australia
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: cheapersleeper]
      #5263168 - 06/09/12 10:40 AM

Could not agree more. Make sure the scope is level. Stick wedges under the three feet to make it so. You can even use your digital level for level then cross level Or put a bubble level near the centre bolt. Adding an azimuth scale will really help too. Mine is good for +/- 0.5 degree most of the time which is pretty good. Indeed as LP is bad where I am, I would never find anything without it.

For the light, some dark green or red cellophane would be fine in the short term.

good luck

regards

GregBuchholz

Reged: 02/13/12

Loc: Kennewick, WA
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Wol]
      #5268866 - 06/12/12 11:56 PM Attachment (129 downloads)

I was so impressed with how well these setting circles worked on my 8" Dob, I added some to my newly acquired 3" Celestron First Scope. I only used an azimuth circle, since I find the analog inclinometer works so well. See the attached pic.

Nitetimer

Reged: 11/02/10

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: ErikRuud]
      #5269190 - 06/13/12 08:46 AM

Erik,

I have an Ares 5 ordered and would like to use your azimuth circle. Forgive me I am new to this, if the degree circle is mounted to the top board do I use clockwise or counterclockwise? Also would it be possible to attach a pic of the setup on your Ares 5? Thanks.

David

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Nitetimer]
      #5269667 - 06/13/12 02:27 PM

Quote:

Forgive me I am new to this, if the degree circle is mounted to the top board do I use clockwise or counterclockwise?

Counterclockwise if mounted on the top board, the scope and the degree circle rotate together.

NickAtNite

Reged: 06/07/08

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5287693 - 06/25/12 12:16 AM Attachment (115 downloads)

thank you all so much for this excellent info, here is what i came up with for my coulter 13.1" using the pdf file in this thread blown up to 24" diameter and laminated at fedex office(formerly kinkos)$13, a 24" round table top from menards $20, and a pitch and angle locator at home depot $8

Edited by NickAtNite (06/25/12 12:21 AM)

NickAtNite

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: NickAtNite]
      #5287698 - 06/25/12 12:21 AM Attachment (112 downloads)

close up of the cirlce

NickAtNite

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: NickAtNite]
      #5287701 - 06/25/12 12:22 AM Attachment (109 downloads)

close up of the angle locator

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5302650 - 07/04/12 05:28 PM

I am getting ready to mount a degree circle on my XT10 base (inclineometer on the tube). Will I mount it at Top Dead Center as 0*, or will it need to be offset to account for longitude/latitude?

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5302663 - 07/04/12 05:38 PM

It matters only for convenience. I put the 0 on the west side of the base as the scope is pointing towards the north. Then when I initialize by aiming at polaris, the pointer is in a convenient location for reading AZ when the mount is rotated throughout the night. How did you arrange your pointer for the XT10?

Eric

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5309699 - 07/09/12 12:16 PM

Here's my new degree setting circle for the 12" Lightbridge.
I took a slightly different approach and drew the degree markings directly on the ground board.
I made the pointer out of 1/8" thick aluminum bar stock and is adjustable over 20 degrees either way from the center of the cutout.
Thanks for looking!

Herschel400

Reged: 03/18/11

--wixey digital angle units new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5389477 - 08/27/12 10:16 AM

hello- does anyone know if the LED function on this unit functions properly when temperatures get into the teens?

thanks

73gitane

Reged: 08/20/12

#5415179 - 09/11/12 12:53 PM

After a long hiatus from observing with my 14" Dob I have recently come back to discover Cloudynights and manual setting circles. I'm a casual amateur so the convenience of this approach immediately pulled at me. I just purchased the Wixey digital angle and already have an iPad for the calculation. I need to pick an app and am thinking Safari.

My main question is what to do about azimuth. It seems Rob's software is the way to go for generating these things. But while I was at the store buying the digital angle gauge I saw their digital protractors. Has anyone adapted one of these to a scope? It would be pretty slick but what's needed is a remote readout does anyone make something more readily adaptable?

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: 73gitane]
      #5415201 - 09/11/12 01:03 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! Glad to have you join us on the forums!

Quote:

I saw their digital protractors. Has anyone adapted one of these to a scope? It would be pretty slick but what's needed is a remote readout does anyone make something more readily adaptable?

That's a great question, looking forward to the input from members that perhaps, have adapted this to their Degree Circle scope.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: 73gitane]
      #5416088 - 09/11/12 08:31 PM

Quote:

But while I was at the store buying the digital angle gauge I saw their digital protractors. Has anyone adapted one of these to a scope? It would be pretty slick but what's needed is a remote readout does anyone make something more readily adaptable?

I looked at digital protractors also and also wondered how to relocated the display. But the problem was the ones I saw only read up to 180°. Do they make protractors that can track a full circle?

73gitane

Reged: 08/20/12

Re: Degree Circles [Re: Gastrol]
      #5416536 - 09/12/12 01:26 AM

Good point, I went to the Wixey site and confirmed the range is +/-180. That would tell me there is at least a physical stop preventing a full 360 but I did not open a package to confirm. I got a chance to read this whole thread(well at least scanned:^) and saw that MtGoat commented on a digital protractor on page 30. He was checking on possible US distributors. He must have hit a wall cause I didn't see any follow up.

Well the printed azimuth seems to work just fine so I'll probably go that route. I just think it would be cool to have a digital readout for both axis.

Pages: << 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 181753

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics