Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: << 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | (show all)
Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: plaidmelon]
      #5975127 - 07/16/13 10:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I think the accuracy will come down to careful centering of the circle. No different than marking a center spot on a mirror really.

That's only one variable. The mount needs to be completely level and the mount & scope orthogonal. Pointing error increases with increasing altitude when mount is not level.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5975455 - 07/17/13 04:44 AM

Quote:

and the mount & scope orthogonal

I don't think that the mount and scope have to be orthogonal for degree circles to work as the two axes are measured independently and as long as the base is level the independently arrived at co-ordinates will be accurate.

Eric

plaidmelon

Reged: 09/28/12

Loc: Manchester, Michigan
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5975766 - 07/17/13 11:09 AM

Quote:

That's only one variable. The mount needs to be completely level and the mount & scope orthogonal. Pointing error increases with increasing altitude when mount is not level.

Guess I should have mentioned I've already worked that out. Was mostly wondering if anyone had experienced unacceptable inaccuracies if the base circle was figured from the center, by simple radius measurement, as opposed to following the edge of the baseboard. I'm concerned I could be plagued by what might be an acceptable error tolerance of the maker of the baseboard.

Could be I'm over thinking what is meant to be a simplified system. Probably the last scope I'll buy for awhile, don't want to start cutting holes just to regret it later.

plaidmelon

#5977696 - 07/18/13 11:12 AM Attachment (49 downloads)

Ok, I did it. Not sure why I found it so nerve wracking, went pretty smoothly.

2" hole with desk grommet. Used red wire notched into the grommet for the indicator. Still trying to find a clear cover, maybe even a magnifying lense.

Edited by plaidmelon (07/18/13 11:14 AM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5977716 - 07/18/13 11:26 AM

Congratulations! That's a great idea using the red wire! I really like that better than a pointer.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5977784 - 07/18/13 12:00 PM

Quote:

Ok, I did it. Not sure why I found it so nerve wracking, went pretty smoothly.

2" hole with desk grommet. Used red wire notched into the grommet for the indicator. Still trying to find a clear cover, maybe even a magnifying lense.

Very nice display! I like it.
Are you able to fine tune the degree circle? I went with the adjustable pointer route on my setup.

plaidmelon

#5978789 - 07/18/13 10:02 PM

If I turn the grommet I have a few degrees of adjustability. I always set up in the same spot in the yard (where the "dobservatory" will eventually be) so I don't need much variability. I don't plan in lugging the beast to any other sites either, I have smaller scopes for that.

plaidmelon

#5981664 - 07/20/13 04:23 PM

Realized I didn't give credit to skizoid's post that was the original idea with a couple of tweaks.
See it here

kind

Reged: 07/07/13

#6004251 - 08/03/13 01:37 AM

I know a lot of people got their circles printed @ Staples or a Kinkos but does any1 know if Office Max has and will do this?

kind

Reged: 07/07/13

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: kind]
      #6021651 - 08/12/13 09:07 PM

Quote:

I know a lot of people got their circles printed @ Staples or a Kinkos but does any1 know if Office Max has and will do this?

well to answer my own question, yes they do. I was just there and it cost me 7 dollars and 82 cents.. That was with the 20% off bag sale they are having.

markau

Reged: 01/10/13

#6026805 - 08/15/13 10:03 AM

I must express my thanks to the people who have contributed to this thread.

We have had a decent telescope for about 6 years and it became a source of frustration and a very expensive way to see the moon, a few planets and the Orion nebula.

So I tried the method outlined in this thread. A Wixey angle thing cost about $37 and printing the circle about $3.

Anyway I am excited because tonight we saw M6, M7, M8, M11, M20, M21, M25. Unbelievable!! More than we have ever seen through the scope, in one evening.

I planned the session using a book and stellarium to list suitable objects (based on position and magnitude). In the field (i.e. backyard) I used SkEye on my phone to find the coordinates of the objects.

The design is genius in its simplicity and affordability. It makes me keen to get the 'scope out again as soon as I can.

Thank you very much!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #6026823 - 08/15/13 10:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

well to answer my own question, yes they do. I was just there and it cost me 7 dollars and 82 cents.. That was with the 20% off bag sale they are having.

My experience with Office Depot on large format printing has not been good....after three tries at two different stores, they still couldn't get it right....FedEx/Kinkos got it right the first time...The folks at FedEx/Kinkos seemed much more knowledgable about how to use their equipment then Office Depot did/does.

schang
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/24/13

Loc: columbia, sc
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6026912 - 08/15/13 11:04 AM

What should be the proper orientation of a degree circle markings should I use, CCW or CW on top of the box board? Carol, in your attached photo, it appears that you have it both ways. Thanks.

shien

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: markau]
      #6027235 - 08/15/13 01:50 PM

So glad you gave this simple Degree Circle a chance to show you what all one can find in the night skies easily! Congratulations on bagging so many targets in one evening!

Also, I'd like to welcome you to Cloudy Nights! We're very glad you joined us here!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: schang]
      #6027255 - 08/15/13 01:58 PM

Quote:

What should be the proper orientation of a degree circle markings should I use, CCW or CW on top of the box board? Carol, in your attached photo, it appears that you have it both ways. Thanks.

shien

If you mount the degree circles on the bottom fixed base, then the numbers should increase clockwise. If you mount them on the top board, then the numbers are counter-clockwise, and the pointer would be attached to the bottom base.

schang
scholastic sledgehammer

#6027343 - 08/15/13 02:42 PM

Thanks, Carol. The PDF for 12" LightBridge Dob is for for clockwise, but I did bookmark one link for 19" which is the same as what you have in both directions, and is easier to read.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/attachments/944499-Alt-AZ_Setting_Circ...

I plan on using this one to fit with my scope. Good to know how it works, otherwise, I will have to constantly remind myself not to turn the other way and mis-identify something.

shien

stargazer424
sage

Reged: 10/03/05

Loc: Central NJ
      #6027439 - 08/15/13 03:26 PM

Does anyone know where/how to get something printed onto a thin but sturdy material like plexiglass? My design calls for a circle that lies outside of the base diameter because I am nervous about cutting into the wood of the base. I am currently using a piece of laminated (packing tape) poster board.

Obviously it would have to be thinner than the ball bearing disk:

schang
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: stargazer424]
      #6027662 - 08/15/13 05:13 PM

Dan:

There are two ways you can use the setting circles, one is to put on top of the base board, like you did, and the other is to put on top of the bearing box board. No need to cut into the wood if you put it on the bearing box board, though the setting circle needs to be counter clock wise to get the star coordinates right.

shien

csa/montana
Den Mama

#6028895 - 08/16/13 10:44 AM

You're most welcome!

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #6029223 - 08/16/13 01:46 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

If you have an OTA and would like a mount and tripod with setting circles the Orion VersaGo ll and the Celestron-Skywatcher AZ4 have setting circles. I use my Omni XLT 150 reflector, C6-SCt and my Celestron 102 GT on my Orion VersaGo ll and the setting circles are very accurate if you level the mount.

Pages: << 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186232

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics