Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: << 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | (show all)
Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Locoman]
      #6029225 - 08/16/13 01:46 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

2nd pic

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #6029239 - 08/16/13 01:53 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

pic

stargazer424
sage

Reged: 10/03/05

Loc: Central NJ
      #6039307 - 08/21/13 10:42 PM

schang: Thanks. I already figured out how I was going to design my setting circles, I was just looking for advice on how to implement it.

My original thought was to have it printed directly onto a plastic or plexi material and cut out to the shape I want.

Meanwhile I had something staring me right in the face. (well not literally as it was in a closet). Here is a metal sign that I got about 14-15 years ago when I worked in a retail store. The store closed and I took home this sign, drilled a hole in it and made it a clock.

The face can be removed from the outer rim. It's 21.75" in diameter (my original design is 21") and it is thin enough to fit between the top and bottom base. I could print, laminate and mount a degree circle on this.

The only issue is HOW I would cut out the center...I only have 1 power tool (a drill). Also it would add about 3.75 lbs to my base. I was trying not to add too much weight (which is why i was looking for a plexiglass solution)

Thoughts?

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: stargazer424]
      #6041808 - 08/23/13 12:32 PM

Re: post above

Dan.....Since you want it mounted on something rigid I'm assuming your degree circle is going to be independently rotatable and you will be using a fixed pointer?

stargazer424
sage

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Gastrol]
      #6046881 - 08/26/13 12:06 PM

Yup! I like Sky Captain's design (shown MANY pages back) where the disc is rotatable, so you can spin it around to align and then lock the disc into place. Of course he machined out an aluminum disc, something I don't have the capability of doing. If you look a few pages back you can see my design concept.

I think I found an even better medium for mounting my degree circle, since I don't have any tools to cut that metal sign. Someone was throwing out a piece of a table top that has a thin particleboard or plywood top. I pried it off the rest and it is thin enough for me to score the wood with a knife and cut it. It will take a bit of elbow grease, but I won't need any additional tools. I'll post photos later. Going to head to Staples tonight to have the degree circle printed and laminated.

I want to try and finish this project this week because this weekend I going up to a cabin in the Catskills and will have some dark skies (FINALLY!).

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6046963 - 08/26/13 12:52 PM

Dan, looking forward to seeing your finished design; as well as hearing how it worked for you in the dark skies on the weekend.

stargazer424
sage

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6047879 - 08/26/13 10:43 PM

Degree circle printed, laminated and mounted. Glue is drying. Details and photos to come when I am done.

Sky Captain, what is the black knob you are using to lock your circle in place and where did you get it? My original idea was to use some kind of knob similar to the collimation knobs on my telescope, but I couldn't find something like that. My second idea was using thumbscrew and twist to tighten, but I couldn't work out a good way to thread it to my L bracket so it stayed tight. Now I am using a homemade spring loaded mechanism...i think it will work.

Here is a good question. For my "locking mechanism" I need to screw a small L bracket into the degree circle and it will cover one of the numbers. Is there a section of numbers that would be best to cover?

stargazer424
sage

#6050432 - 08/28/13 10:51 AM

Photo Time!

Here is where I got my material to mount my degree circle to:

Laminiated (~$6 at Staples) and mounted:

Outside cut (using only the tools you see here):

Inside cut out:

Its a fit!

On the mount:

My "pointer" (a red LED from a broken mouse):

My power source (3 AAA batteries):

The switch (someday when I am brave enough to make permanent changes to my telescope, I will drill a hole and have this screwed into the base.)

FYI: I got the batter pack free from http://www.keyelco.com/ Go to product and click “Add to Sample Cart” to order. No registration is required. You fill out a sample request form. No corporate email address was required. It ships UPS Ground. You do not have to pay the shipping.)

The degree circle rotates by hand. Surprisingly it doesn't really move when I just spin the base. Regardless I think I still need a "locking mechanism", but I need to rethink my idea for it. I had this spring loaded thing in mind, but it doesn't seem to stop it spinning. I need to find some kind of knob/screw that can fit tightly on a small L bracket. Anyone know of anything I can get at Home Depot or similar store that would work? Something like this:

EDIT:

I was searching on Home Depot's website and found some possibilities for my locking issue...how about a...door lock!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Black-Push-Pull-Sliding-Door-Lock-S-402...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Bronze-Sliding-Door-Slide-Bolt-Lock-S-4...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-White-Twist-in-Sliding-Patio-Door-Lock-...

I'll have to stop by the store and see if any of these or things like them will work...

Edited by stargazer424 (08/28/13 03:03 PM)

Steve OK
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/07

Loc: OKC, OK
      #6052592 - 08/29/13 01:42 PM

I just ordered the Wixie digital level from Amazon for $29.99 and free shipping. What a deal....

Thanks to Carol and all the rest for contributing to this great thread!

Steve

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: Steve OK]
      #6052684 - 08/29/13 02:30 PM

Steve, you'll really like the Wixie!

Steve OK
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6052767 - 08/29/13 03:09 PM

I'm sure I will! I was about to get in the truck to go to Sears to buy the Digital Torpedo Level ($32), and decided to check Amazon first. Glad I did! The Wixie is so compact. I ordered the WR300 from Wixie...I hope that is the one.

Thanks again, Carol, for starting and keeping this thread. It is one of the most helpful anywhere on CN!

Steve

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
      #6053182 - 08/29/13 07:02 PM

Tell me how you guys are zeroing your Wixey? I've got the WR300 and also the Craftsman and the Craftsman is zeroed on start up while the Wixey isn't. Inquiring minds need to know!!!!

Thanks

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: tag1260]
      #6053359 - 08/29/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

Tell me how you guys are zeroing your Wixey?

After I level my base I place the Wixey on the base to zero. It will hold this zero calibration all night.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#6053369 - 08/29/13 09:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks again, Carol, for starting and keeping this thread. It is one of the most helpful anywhere on CN!

Steve, you're most welcome!

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#6054336 - 08/30/13 12:29 PM

Quote:

I've got the WR300 and also the Craftsman and the Craftsman is zeroed on start up while the Wixey isn't.

Just a follow-up reply and question... Doesn't your Craftsman have to be re-calibrated from time to time or once it's set it's set for good indefinitely?

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

#6055266 - 08/30/13 10:52 PM

The Craftsman is set indefinitely. It is factory set for level. The only problem is the BRIGHT green back light on it.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#6055987 - 08/31/13 12:38 PM

Quote:

The Craftsman is set indefinitely. It is factory set for level. The only problem is the BRIGHT green back light on it.

Ok, thanks. I heard about the bright display.

The Wixey is meant to be used on a table saw to gauge blade angle against the table. And since the table saw itself is often not perfectly level to begin with you zero the Wixey on the table, whether it's level or not, then place the Wixey against the blade to set angle. This is why the Wixey must be calibrated before use.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #6056031 - 08/31/13 01:07 PM

This Tilt box II is what I have been using for over a year now. You calibrate it the first time using it and it has never needed re-calibration since.

Eric

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

#6056033 - 08/31/13 01:09 PM

The next step up Wixey ,I believe it's model number is WR365, is factory zeroed. I just couldn't pass up the deal on the other model at the time, plus I didn't know it wasn't preset.

Steve OK
scholastic sledgehammer

#6056311 - 08/31/13 03:44 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

I did the same thing, I guess, buying the WR300. I guess zeroing it won't be that hard. Here's my Azimuth scale, done today. My indicator is a piece of Plexiglas with a line scored on the underside. This is the base of a 10"Dob.

Pages: << 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 181839

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics