Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
GordonCopestake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/02/06

Loc: Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: csa/montana]
      #1289358 - 12/07/06 01:25 AM

Someone kindly sent me a 24" one for my 12" lightbridge

http://www.copestake.org/24DialWhite.pdf for those interested in making setting circles for a 12" lightbridge

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stefan Rostyne
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/19/04

Loc: Assenede, Belgium
Re: Degree Circles new [Re: GordonCopestake]
      #1289567 - 12/07/06 07:32 AM

thx, Gordon!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #1289726 - 12/07/06 10:18 AM

Gordon: Thanks so much for posting the pdf for a 12" LightBridge; now if someone would post one for a 10" base, it would help those with that size.

Again, thanks for your kind addition!

Carol

kestrel0222
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/21/06

Loc: Milford, Michigan
      #1289749 - 12/07/06 10:37 AM

Carol,

As was mentioned earlier in this post, all one would have to do is to figure out what scale factor they would need to make it to the appropriate size that they would need for their particular base size.

However, I had so much trouble trying to get the original PDF file (that SkyArcher made) to the right scale, that I designed my own for my 12” DSO. The problem WAS NOT with SkyArcher's file; the problem was with Kinko’s getting it done for me. They tried numerous times and NEVER got it right. That was when I decided to do it myself. I made the circle to the exact size that I wanted for my scope. That is the PDF file that Gordon posted.

I was reading the post that Gordon had posted in regards to his new 12" Lightbridge, he mentioned that he needed a circle that would fit his base, I thought, well, I have one that I made that worked for me, why not pass it on.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: kestrel0222]
      #1289769 - 12/07/06 10:54 AM

Tom: Thank You!! There are many 12" Dob owners out there that will love you for this great addition to this link!
Again, my friend, many, many thanks for your contributions!

Carol

kestrel0222
Carpal Tunnel

#1289781 - 12/07/06 11:03 AM

Thanks Carol,

The circle that I made was designed to be placed on the bottom board (numbers in a clockwise direction). This requires that a small notch (I made mine 2” X 5”) to be made at the edge of the top board to view the circle thru. However, if anyone wants (or needs) one made to be places on the top board (numbers in a counter clockwise direction - 24" diameter), let me know, I will gladly make it for them.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: kestrel0222]
      #1289792 - 12/07/06 11:08 AM

Tom: Again, thanks for your contributions, you rock!

Carol

GordonCopestake
Carpal Tunnel

#1289811 - 12/07/06 11:20 AM

i wasn't sure if you wanted to be named Tom, but once again, thanks for the circle! Very much appreciated!

kestrel0222
Carpal Tunnel

#1289814 - 12/07/06 11:23 AM

You are very welcome, Gordon. I'm just glad that I could help.

darklighteditor
Theatre King

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Sparty Nation
      #1292054 - 12/08/06 01:25 PM

Carol - I finally got around to reading your Degree Circles thread (due to lack of time, not desire) and from my initial read-through, what a great idea for the $12 "Push-To".
It seems like this would be an absolute "must have" for anyone with a Dob.
I have extra some vacation time I've accumulated which I'm taking off between Christmas and New Years, so that will give me time to tinker with it.
Unfortunately, we don't have a Kinkos or such nearby, so I'll be printing the plans separately on a 11- by 17-inch paper printer (which I'll have to figure out how to do it "piece-meal" by overlap). Luckily, I have a large laminator here at work.
I also plan to print out the thread and read it over closely, but I suspect you'll be hearing from me as I move along the process (I'm certainly not an engineer, but I have a knack for figuring things out - albeit sometimes slowly ).

John

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: darklighteditor]
      #1292071 - 12/08/06 01:36 PM

John: Thank you! It is such a wonderful, very inexpensive method. The best part, you can do it yourself. I've had a great time with it.

When you get ready, just fire away, & we will get you thru setting it up.

I've enjoyed so much, reading the posts from others that have employed this idea. That's what it's all about, sharing & helping!

Carol

darklighteditor
Theatre King

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Sparty Nation
      #1292104 - 12/08/06 01:50 PM

Thanks Carol!
I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.
And looking at my continously white CSC, I may be getting to that quicker than expected. Ya know, this weather has been something else this fall (and now heading into winter). Since I've received the 8-inch Dob from DBA exactly one month ago today, I've had a total of six nights viewing - that's 24 cloudy nights in a 30-day span. Percentage wise, it can't get any worse, can it??? I think this "Curse" has outlived its usefulness on my end. On the bright side, perhaps I'm simply getting the worse weather out of the way early...

John

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: darklighteditor]
      #1292143 - 12/08/06 02:28 PM

John, I agree about the weather; ordinarily, here we have many more clear skies than cloudy, but this Fall, up to now, it's been about 90% cloudy, 10% clear.

Perhaps we should all hide our scopes, & then sneak them out before the evil clouds see us!

Carol

GordonCopestake
Carpal Tunnel

#1292147 - 12/08/06 02:29 PM

You should come live in england hehe, it's 10% clear and 90% cloudy ALL the time!

And just to rub it in all our kit costs TWICE as much as yours hehe

csa/montana
Den Mama

#1292151 - 12/08/06 02:31 PM

Plus you have that Damp cold!!!

Carol

nitroexpress
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/06

Loc: Hemet, calif
      #1309177 - 12/18/06 12:17 AM

Carol:....
Thank you for your posts on the degree circles. Best thing since the invention of sliced bread......it made my 10" z10 into a push-to great scope.....i am using HNSKY for the computer ( laptop).....works well........thanks again for the best idea on the net....and to skyarcher for the degree wheel..................gary

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Degree Circles new [Re: nitroexpress]
      #1309556 - 12/18/06 10:11 AM Attachment (327 downloads)

Gary: A very Warm Welcome to Cloudy Nights! You have joined a great group here.

I'm so glad you are enjoying the setup. It's so simple, I'm sure many feel "No way can it work accurately"; but that's the great thing, simplicity equals accuracy!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, we love answering questions, because that is how we learn also.

Again, Welcome aboard, & a very big thank you for taking the time to let me know about your success with the degree circles!

Carol

drzeus

Reged: 01/11/05

Loc: Athens, Greece
Re: Degree Circles [Re: csa/montana]
      #1315539 - 12/21/06 10:35 AM Attachment (321 downloads)

The simplest ideas often work the best! I have followed this thread with interest having first come across this idea in Rod's web pages.
Electronic digilevels I looked at but were far too expensive for me. So while trying to find a placky inclinometer I was browsing Lidl's pages at the same time and spotted a digital spirit level. OK. the downside is that it is almost two feet in length, but the good thing is the digital unit screws out of the level itself! (Just as soon as I find my Allen keys!)Beeps every 10 degrees and has soft blue backlight that can be turned off. On the first very rough test I tried (holding the level gingerly along Dob tube!) it seemed pretty accurate. Just got to get the circle for the base printed off now.
All for a grand ... 29.99 euros! Lidl do their offers on a rotation basis each year so no doubt it will pop up again in the near future, for anyone wanting to track the unit down. FYI its got Paget Trading UK on it. Lidl are great for things like that, if you can manage to get there before all the retired people! (No offence intended!)
Anyway great job folks ... I just wanted to say thanks for telling us all about such a great simple idea.

(Today here in Athens, Lidl have Meade ETX70 GOTO, with backpack (which I saw for 55 pounds alone!), for 199 euros ... but I am being very good and keeping my hands in my pockets!)

Terry1229

Reged: 04/16/06

Loc: North, Idaho
Re: Degree Circles [Re: drzeus]
      #1315719 - 12/21/06 12:15 PM Attachment (352 downloads)

I printed mine from a program i got of of this thread. It printed on to about 6 sheets of paper, then I glued them to some foamboard and cut it out. I am still in the process of finishing. I need to put a clear coat over the top.

Edited by Terry1229 (12/21/06 01:57 PM)

GordonCopestake
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Degree Circles [Re: Terry1229]
      #1315776 - 12/21/06 12:41 PM

they sell those digital levels on ebay. Not as cheap as lidl but still pretty good.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 181937

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics