Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)
hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: rboe]
      #5334602 - 07/25/12 11:55 AM

Bump for kevdog.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: hm insulators]
      #5401489 - 09/03/12 05:13 PM

We have scheduled a Not-A_Party for this month, date not mentioned yet. Jim??

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#5404870 - 09/05/12 01:04 PM

I'm for it, as long as it's not on the 21st or 22nd, as I'm tentatively planning on going to the PATS.

rboeAdministrator

#5404935 - 09/05/12 01:50 PM

PATS or WAPSP. A conundrum.

Jwemes

Reged: 02/26/10

Loc: Wickenburg, AZ
      #5411777 - 09/09/12 02:48 PM

The FIRST Wickenburg Public Star Party of the "cooler" time of the year will be October 6. We may be forced to temporarily relocate to an alternate site, as Blue Tank Road needs to be bladed by the county. Monsoon rains have transported great quantities of sand, and Blue Tank has its share. If Yavapai county does not blade the road, we'll look at moving to the Vulture Peak Trailhead parking lot.

Although NOAA is making noises to suggest that next weekend is going to be dry, remember the weather we had last September. For those who missed it: Wind, followed by Haboob, followed by rain, followed by wind.

Stay tuned, updates will follow as soon as possible.

Clear, Dark, and Steady,
John W

rboeAdministrator

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: Jwemes]
      #5412521 - 09/09/12 11:20 PM

Thanks John.

Jwemes

#5417180 - 09/12/12 12:11 PM

Hi All,
The temporary location ( October 6 only) for the Wickenburg Public Star Party will be the Rodeo Grounds parking lot. No special events are scheduled for the Rodeo Grounds that weekend. For those who have not been to our star parties in the past, Just before reaching the McDonalds on the Right side of US60, turn right on El Recreo. El Recreo becomes Constellation Rd and takes you to the Rodeo Grounds. We'll set up on the West side of the road parking lot-opposite the Rodeo Grounds proper. Look for a conditions report mid morning of October 6.

Clear, Dark, and Steady

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#5417285 - 09/12/12 01:08 PM

Quote:

The FIRST Wickenburg Public Star Party of the "cooler" time of the year will be October 6. We may be forced to temporarily relocate to an alternate site, as Blue Tank Road needs to be bladed by the county. Monsoon rains have transported great quantities of sand, and Blue Tank has its share. If Yavapai county does not blade the road, we'll look at moving to the Vulture Peak Trailhead parking lot.

Although NOAA is making noises to suggest that next weekend is going to be dry, remember the weather we had last September. For those who missed it: Wind, followed by Haboob, followed by rain, followed by wind.

Stay tuned, updates will follow as soon as possible.

Clear, Dark, and Steady,
John W

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the possible temporary move to the alternate location. I've hiked that trail a couple of times, so at least I know where to go.

Jwemes

#5451640 - 10/02/12 10:26 AM

Just a reminder, that the Wickenburg Public Star Party will be this Saturday, 6 October,at the Rodeo Grounds parking lot. Look for a conditions report mid-morning on Saturday.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#5453791 - 10/03/12 04:07 PM

Looking forward to the first star party of the new season!

rboeAdministrator

#5456273 - 10/05/12 09:38 AM

I'm hoping to attend. Passed the word to some interested folks at work with kids; maybe I can get one of them to show up.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#5457942 - 10/06/12 01:15 PM

As long as these cirrus clouds don't get too thick, I'm heading out there! I'm planning on hitting Sun City West for lunch and read "Sky and Telescope" at the library, then do an early dinner in Wickenburg (hello, Anita's Cocina!). Oh, and check out Brad's telescope store.

Kevdog was telling me about a star party next week at Montezuma Wells State Park, wherever that is. If that's within a one-day's drive, I might go to that one, too! Anybody here hear about that one?

Edited by hm insulators (10/06/12 01:53 PM)

Jwemes

#5457952 - 10/06/12 01:20 PM

Here's the mid-morning sky and forecast report. At 10 AM local time, temp 80 degrees, wind is calm. Now, for the bad news. Cloud cover: High clouds at 95% coverage. CSC for all locations within 30 miles indicates that we should expect virtually total cloud cover and zero transparency. There is also the possibility that both CSC and NOAA are wrong, but then...there's also the possibility that tomorrow is Xmas!
NOAA is corrently indicating a possibility of rain for next Friday(a heads up for the All Arizona Star Party) Look for a soon-to-be posting for an on-the-bridge Astronomy Day outreach on October 20.
Thanks for reading this far, and keeping fingers crossed for November,
John W

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#5457985 - 10/06/12 01:58 PM

So it looks "iffy" at best, then; it almost sounds like a cirrostratus layer might be moving in. We've pretty much killed any possibility of the event? Maybe I'll just do lunch and a car show in Glendale then.

What's the date of next month's event? If it's on the 3rd, I'll be missing that one as "Modelzona," the show put on by my local chapter of the International Plastic Modelers' Society is in Mesa.

Edited by hm insulators (10/06/12 02:09 PM)

rboeAdministrator

#5461789 - 10/09/12 09:32 AM

John; do you have dates for the rest of the year? I've got folks in Phoenix interested in coming up.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#5462063 - 10/09/12 12:49 PM

Quote:

So it looks "iffy" at best, then; it almost sounds like a cirrostratus layer might be moving in. We've pretty much killed any possibility of the event? Maybe I'll just do lunch and a car show in Glendale then.

As it turned out, the cars were the stars. This was an all-Ford car show by Sanderson Ford, and aside from the usual classic Mustangs and T-birds, there was a '56 Crown Victoria, a big black '53 Merc and a '47 Lincoln Continental!

Joe Cipriano
Entropy Personified

Reged: 09/03/05

Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?
      #5462181 - 10/09/12 02:05 PM

Quote:

John; do you have dates for the rest of the year? I've got folks in Phoenix interested in coming up.

Yeah. I just moved to the Valley, and would like to meet some of my fellow CN members.

Heck - I've been a member for 7 yrs, and have met exactly ONE CNer (I DID have a nice talk with Ron a few days ago, so I guess that counts as two... ).

Jwemes

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party [Re: Joe Cipriano]
      #5462267 - 10/09/12 02:48 PM

The next scheduled Wickenburg Public Star Party is on 11/3. If Yavapai County blades the road in time, we'll be at Sophies' Flat. The following Star Party is on 12/1.
I haven't talked with any of the usual co-conspirators regarding Astronomy Day/Night possibilities.
Joe-There should be a herd of CNer's at the event in Tucson on 11/10 and 11/11, and I was hoping to meet some of them there myself. BUT....come on up on 11/3! Look for any updates on conditions mid-morning of 11/3.

Clear, Dark, and Steady,
John W

Edited by Jwemes (10/10/12 07:58 AM)

rboeAdministrator

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party [Re: Jwemes]
      #5463056 - 10/09/12 11:14 PM

John, I think you mean November 10th & 11th. We are planning a get together and I really hope you can make it.

Jwemes

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party [Re: rboe]
      #5463396 - 10/10/12 08:00 AM

Thanks Ron, don'cha just hate it when the keyboard misspells?

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30527

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics