Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Jwemes

Reged: 02/26/10

Loc: Wickenburg, AZ
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: skyguy88]
      #4287230 - 01/02/11 04:57 PM

No snow on the ground at Sophies Flat. As of this morning, the road is still in fine shape, no washouts, and only a couple of damp spots. Even a lowrider can make it easily. Sorry Bill, no power is available at the site. Look for an update of conditions midmorning on Saturday.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: Jwemes]
      #4289223 - 01/03/11 02:53 PM

My four day weekend got frozen out so I'm way behind on projects and probably won't make it out this weekend.

skyguy88
sage

Reged: 11/13/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #4289547 - 01/03/11 05:23 PM

Quote:

No snow on the ground at Sophies Flat. As of this morning, the road is still in fine shape, no washouts, and only a couple of damp spots. Even a lowrider can make it easily. Sorry Bill, no power is available at the site. Look for an update of conditions midmorning on Saturday.

Thanks,John.

I'll collect some electrons and try to make it Saturday.

Bill

rboeAdministrator

#4290776 - 01/04/11 09:03 AM

John; for the 2011 calendar year, are there dates that the Wickenburg Public star party won't be held on the second weekend(not counting weather canceled events)? Eric is putting together calendar and I'd like to have this event listed.

Jwemes

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: rboe]
      #4291929 - 01/04/11 06:00 PM

Ron,
We've been shooting from the hip as far as our dates for star parties. Can we wait until after the weekend for a decision? I'll need to sit down with my cohorts-in-crime and a 2011 calendar.

rboeAdministrator

#4293239 - 01/05/11 09:11 AM

No hurry. Eric is working on the 2011 calendar and I'm pretty sure edits can be done down the road. Besides, we're rarely in a big hurry. Real life seems to preclude that.

Jwemes

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: rboe]
      #4300434 - 01/08/11 12:46 PM

The mid-morning conditions report is as follows:
0% clouds
100% sunshine
Air temp current- 58F
Wind-calm
Restroom-has TP
Just a reminder-Take Constellation Rd. past the rodeo grounds. There will be a sign at the turnoff to Blue Tank Rd. advising a left turn onto Blue Tank. Hope to see some of you there.

Edited by Jwemes (01/08/11 12:48 PM)

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#4300727 - 01/08/11 03:24 PM

I had toyed with the idea of going up there, but between the rather chilly weather and a broken side-view mirror, I might get up there next month.

skyguy88
sage

Reged: 11/13/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #4300815 - 01/08/11 04:04 PM

I'm having equipment problems so I'm not going to make it tonight. I'll try next time.

Bill

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: California
      #4301773 - 01/09/11 01:31 AM

We had a nice night. Had two C11s, C9.25, 6" f/5 refractor, my 16" dob andbmy little Firstscope mini dob. The skies were pretty good, a lot of moisture in the air though. I played with the 16" most the night. Hadvsome very pleasing views of M42 and saw six stars in the Trapezium, got up to 300x on it. M81 and M82 were also nice in the 16" and the 6" refractor. M31 was good but not the best I've seen. Caught a pleasing glimpse of the Horsehead and several other popular objects. It was a fun night over all but the clouds returned about 10 pm so we headed out.

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4333578 - 01/23/11 04:01 AM

After seeing both the Rodeo Grounds and the BLM site I came to this conclusion.

I believe we should use the Rodeo Grounds for the public events, it is easier to get to for everyone and more suitable for the public. The BLM site is excellent but for the public its a bit of a drive in the desert. The BLM site should be used as a dark site for astronomers and star parties.

This is just a thought of course but I think if this event is geared for public outreach then it should be done at the Rodeo grounds.

Jwemes

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #4336117 - 01/24/11 07:18 AM

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the suggestion. We'd love to stay at the Rodeo Grounds, but the Town of Wickenburg (like all towns) is trying to increase revenue, and has rented out the Rodeo Grounds every weekend through May to various organizations. There is an accomodation made to those who rent, that they can use the large parking lot for parking trucks and trailers if they choose. The result is that we never know in advance if the parking lot will be available, or if the lights in the arena will be on or off. There's another site that could be used for public outreach, with minimal dirt road, but at that location, we'd have to work around the boondocking RVs of our winter visitors. Look at 33deg. 52' 55.94"N 112deg. 49' 08.33" W on google earth, and there is an image of the alternate site. Zooming in enough, one can see RVs camping there. Image date: Feb. 15, 2007.

While we're here, Saturday, Feb 5, 2011--Wickenburg Public Star Party, at Sophies Flat..Look for a conditions update midmorning Saturday.

Hope to see you there.

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
      #4364036 - 02/04/11 09:25 PM

So what's the scoop, is there still a star party scheduled for tomorrow, 2/5? And what time will it start?

My son and I will most likely be there if it's still a go. I've got a new power tank and will bring the LX200. I'll probably get there very early, I'm a little rusty on setting up the big gun.

And for us "navigationally challenged" can you tell us how to get to Constellation Rd. if we're coming from Phoenix on I-74?

Jwemes

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #4364572 - 02/05/11 07:36 AM

Hi Scott,
Yep! We're on for tonight! I'll be updating weather and temps about midmorning.

If you're on SR74 westbound, turn right when you reach US60. As you enter Wickenburg, and before the Hassayampa bridge, turn right just past the Dunkin Donuts at El Recreo Drive. Stay right onto Constellation, and keep going. 1 mile past the rodeo grounds, the pavement ends. Another mile and a little, and you'll turn left at the wye (look for the star party sign). One more mile and a little, and you'll be at Sophies Flat. We set up in the East side parking lot (near the outhouse).

People will start showing up around 4 PM. Bring warm clothes, we're at ~2400 elev.

See you there!

skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

#4364832 - 02/05/11 10:06 AM

Melissa and I will be coming tonight as well and maybe a friend of mine but it wont be till about 7. I will have the 16" again.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: skyward_eyes]
      #4365166 - 02/05/11 12:31 PM

I'm probably going out there myself.

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: hm insulators]
      #4365178 - 02/05/11 12:39 PM

Finally, a group that likes to set up early!

I'll be wearing long johns but David is a teen, much smarter than the rest of us so he'll be underdressed and shivering He's also perpetually hungry so that'll be a challenge for me.

Looking forward to it, it's been a few years since I've shown anyone the sky through my scope.

Jwemes

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party new [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #4365214 - 02/05/11 12:55 PM

Here's the morning report! Temps currently: (shade) 57 degrees. Sun temps: 68 Wind is 0 mph No cloud cover, but lots of water vapor-sky looks like diluted milk at this time.

Looking at NOAA and Clear Sky Charts, it looks like the current seeing conditions will improve by 6PM. Keeping fingers crossed.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

#4365344 - 02/05/11 01:51 PM

Lots of high clouds around. Maybe I'll sit tight for another hour or so. See what happens.

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Re: Wickenburg, AZ Public Star Party [Re: Jwemes]
      #4365560 - 02/05/11 03:19 PM

I usually show up no matter what, then head home pouting if it's socked in

We'll be there and say some prayers that it clears.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30486

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics